Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Buying a Lawn Mower

Anyone with some basic insight and some recommendations here? And by recommendations- sure, talking up (or down) your particular mower is good but I always take that with a grain of salt because we all have a little element of "well, I bought it so it's the right one" when we think about things. If someone just went through this process and did the legwork- consumer reports, talked to the guys at Lowes, etc- I'd love to get some of that insight.

We're currently renting a house in Indy with a decent sized yard but nothing huge and I just need a lawn mover to get the job done. For instance, I don't think it's worth going from say, $150 to $300 for a lawn mower that helps me get the job done 10 minutes quicker. But it might be worth $150 to $200 if it takes 30 minutes or relieves a lot of aggravation. You know- standard rules of value.

Never had to buy a lawn mower before so what am I looking for in terms of what to buy? The couple of measurables I've been seeing to compare things by are cut width and horsepower. Any bare minimums or sweet spots to aim for?

Are there some brands I should consider more or some I should stay away from?

Also, it seems there are now electric mowers- pros and cons of those? It seems like lugging a cord around the yard might get old but having an electric motor where you don't have to worry about getting gas or tuneups could be a big plus.

Anyone gone the Craigslist route? I mean, I see cheaper ones there all the time and it seems reasonable. But if you drop, say, $75 on a lawn mower and it doesn't work- well, there's not exactly a warranty or anything on it. It may not be a permanent thing as we'll probably move in a year, either to our own house or somewhere else (as we don't want to be paying this rental rate for more than a year as we were kindof forced into it)- so if I could find a cheap "disposable" lawnmower to get me through a year, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Is there somewhere that sells used, reliable mowers?

Thanks in advance for any help

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-09-2010 at 05:38 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

For push mowers, Toro is the best in my opinion. Troy-Bilt and Craftsman below that. The engines on most mowers are Briggs and Stratton and that's what I would tell you to get. You can go with a Honda engine but you're going to pay for it. Horse Power is most important thing to think about and you'll want a deck of 21" or 22".

I have never used an eMower...just too much yard for me. I don't think you have a cord anymore. It's more like you charge it and mow. I would think there has to be a maximum yard size that you have to be worried about where it just becomes not worth it.

I loved my Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. My yard was just too big for it. You really should consider how big your yard is. I've finally gone the route of a riding mower because my lawn has chewed up two push mowers for lunch. (3/4 of an acre or more should definitely be a riding mower)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
cougarfreak
College Starter

If it's only for a year, I'd definitely go the craigslist route. Make sure it runs, pay $50 for it, and change the spark plug and oil for $10.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've been very happy with my Craftsman. I learned with my first house, don't buy a cheap mower because it's going to be a pain in the ass. I spent more on the Craftsman, but it hasn't had a single problem in four years.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Self propelled.

Last edited by tarcone : 07-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I got a front wheel drive self propelled, I find it's easier when making turns, just push down it lifts the front wheels turn 180 degrees and go for the next cut.

I think it's a troy built- like someone said above a briggs & stratton with a nice cutting deck is what to look for.

Also I hate the ones that bag the grass, thats just personal opinion though.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

well if you were looking for riders I just finished the process and think I have good insight...on the push deals...I have only owned one for 4 months while our house was built.

Bought a $100 Murray at wal mart...came in a box...I had to put it together...use it for a summer, when our house was done I left it by the curb...it was worth probably exactly $100 it was junk by the end of the year
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Self propelled is the way to go. Also if you don't want to spring for key start, at least get one with "fresh start." The Craftsman I have always starts on the first pull, which is nice.

If you go check at some local sears, you might be able to find some returned push mowers which could save you some dough. We always seemed to have some refurb's(991's) around when I worked there. Obviously YMMV
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

I can tell you what consumer reports says if you want. I have a online sub for them.

Push Mowers
Toro 20360
Lawn-Boy 10640
Cub Cadet 11A-18MC
Black and Decker CM1936
Husqvarna 6021P

Self Propelled
Toro Super Bagger 20194
Toro Recycler 20333
Toro Recycler 20332
Craftsman 37659
Toro Recycler 20330
Craftsman 37435
Yard Man 12A-18M7

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
well if you were looking for riders I just finished the process and think I have good insight...on the push deals...I have only owned one for 4 months while our house was built.

Bought a $100 Murray at wal mart...came in a box...I had to put it together...use it for a summer, when our house was done I left it by the curb...it was worth probably exactly $100 it was junk by the end of the year

LOL The lesson about cheap lawnmowers I learned was due to a Murray. Worked fine for most of the first summer and never worked right again.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the help- it sounds like I have a night of homework but I'm also considering Craigslist.

Dangarion- are those in order of ratings or just the ones they have listed?

SI

Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Thanks for the help- it sounds like I have a night of homework but I'm also considering Craigslist.

Dangarion- are those in order of ratings or just the ones they have listed?

SI

Those are the order of the recommended ones, it does skip some that they didn't "recommend" because of the price or some other thing. I can give you a better list if you'd like with like the real top ten.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The Cub Cadet has swiveling front wheels for easier turning and maneuverability. Best lawn mower feature since the easy start options started appearing.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

Don't know your price range but this is the one I'd recommend....

Toro - Recycler Walk Behind Lawn Mower, Gas Powered & Electric Start Push Mowers

You're getting a great mower and the only real features you're missing out on are a key start and a blade override system that lets you stop the blade but not the mower. Two features I'm not sure about value.

If you're not looking to spend that much, I'd go with a similar Craftsman model which will cost you about $250-$275.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

DG: That's ok- I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg so omitting the pricey ones is fine by me. I'm looking up prices of what's on the list right now

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-09-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I think this is a good spot to mention my Green Machine - the Black & Decker MM275. It's a corded electric mower. The 100' cord just barely reaches to the outer portions of my back yard, so that's fine. The back is often choked with rocks, hills, dead branches, and tall grass/weeds (I let it grow a bit). The GM deals with it all surprisingly well. Yes, the cord is a pain to deal with - more to wind and unwind than to actually mow with, IMO - but I've gotten used to it and consider the aggravations of other types of mowers to be greater.

I paid about $160 for my first one eight years ago when I first bought my place, and when it finally conked out last month, I paid about $170 for another one.

I doubt it will meet your needs, SI, but I just wanted to share.

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 07-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was considering one, actually (the MM875 has the best cost/ratings for an electric that I've seen), so I'm glad to have some information about it. I love the idea that it's clean, quiet, and doesn't really require maintenance and would sacrifice some performance for that. But I'm curious about the difference between the experience with it and with a gas mower. Our yard is not all that big and someone on Craigslist had one for $100, which is not much more than the cheap gas ones. Heck, Amazon has them routinely for $199 or less.

Currently, I left a message with the wife of a guy who had one for well below what it should be and I'll see if that pans out. If not, then it's time to really look into what I want to buy new in which case, I have a whole new ball of considerations.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-10-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was considering one, actually (the MM875 has the best cost/ratings for an electric that I've seen), so I'm glad to have some information about it. I love the idea that it's clean, quiet, and doesn't really require maintenance and would sacrifice some performance for that. But I'm curious about the difference between the experience with it and with a gas mower. Our yard is not all that big and someone on Craigslist had one for $100, which is not much more than the cheap gas ones. Heck, Amazon has them routinely for $199 or less.

Currently, I left a message with the wife of a guy who had one for well below what it should be and I'll see if that pans out. If not, then it's time to really look into what I want to buy new in which case, I have a whole new ball of considerations.

SI

I guess an important question would be how big your lawn actually is.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

The MM875 got a 63 rating
Evenness - Good
Mulching - Very Good
Bagging - Very Good
Side Discharge - Very Good
Handling - Good
Ease of Use - Very Good

It was the highest rated corded push mower of the 3 they had.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I guess an important question would be how big your lawn actually is.

I was thinking that as well. I just went out there and it's about 45'x55'. Again, it's decent sized but not big by any stretch. The front is much smaller and should pose much less problems. Currently, it's gone at least a week and a half without mowing and probably more but there's still not too tall of growth. Yeah, it's starting to look ragged and I need to get out there but it's nothing like Houston where in the summer it could do this twice a week. Also, there's a crapload of clover back there as I don't think the last renters did much about the yard. Then again, I don't plan on doing much either except mowing it so it doesn't look horrible and maybe edging.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

My lawn is narrower but deeper - about 35' x 65', I'd say. So a corded electric mower should work for you, if you're willing to fool with the cord.

The 875 is a little bigger and more powerful than my 275. It should offer similar, if not better, performance.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was thinking that as well. I just went out there and it's about 45'x55'. Again, it's decent sized but not big by any stretch. The front is much smaller and should pose much less problems. Currently, it's gone at least a week and a half without mowing and probably more but there's still not too tall of growth. Yeah, it's starting to look ragged and I need to get out there but it's nothing like Houston where in the summer it could do this twice a week. Also, there's a crapload of clover back there as I don't think the last renters did much about the yard. Then again, I don't plan on doing much either except mowing it so it doesn't look horrible and maybe edging.

SI

If you have a lawn that small, I probably wouldn't spend the money for the Toro. I'd go midrange Craftsman. I would never go electrical but that's me. I don't know enough about them but if you can find a good one, and it sounds like you could, it should work.