Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great Android Apps

My new Droid Incredible arrived today. I've read some sites about great apps for it, but am wondering what apps are recommended by others on here.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Let us know how you like it. Strongly considering getting one for my wife.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

The verizon vcast video app will allow you to watch the world cup live, it is $10 per month but the first month is free if you add it by 6/11.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
The verizon vcast video app will allow you to watch the world cup live, it is $10 per month but the first month is free if you add it by 6/11.

Thanks for the info. Just downloaded it.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, just got ours yesterday (upgraded and took advantage of the buy one get one deal so we got the two for a good price).

LOVING it so far.

I have started to use Calorie Counter to help with my attemtp to lose some weight.

The weather channel app is nice.

I also LOVE the Google Sky Map app. I never could figure out which planet I may be looking at in the sky (unless it was Mars) and never put the constellations together in my head when I look at them. This makes it easy. It orients everything to the direction you are facing and the horizon. Amazed by it.

The Goggles app made my jaw drop as well, that should be pre-installed. Started taking pictures of things just to see how much detail it would find.

My first time trying a smart phone and I can't believe how advanced they are now (I sound like an old codger now).

Plus the speed has really been amazing. I have an old blackberry hat we use for work and trying to access anything on the internet taes forever. On the DROID it flies.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
rjolley
College Starter

Picked up an Evo and I like Android a lot. There are a lot of complaints about the phone, but mine has been running smoothly so far. Guess I don't expect it to be the best thing ever, just better than my Diamond, which it definitely is.

As far as apps, I like Goggles and Layar, but I'm still trying to figure Layar out. Also, UrbanSpoon is a different way to find a new place to eat. Sky Map is very kool, as is Google Navigation. I still use Sprint's, but Google Nav is very well done. I also picked up Shazam to identify music and Talk to Me to translate from one language to another.

For games, I picked up a few Match-3 games, a solitaire, and Spades, but the game I like so far is Homerun Battle. Very simple game and fun to play.

Last edited by rjolley : 06-10-2010 at 10:03 PM.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

HandscentSMS very nice texting program, I used it to replace default one. Lookout mobile security, scans all programs and backups data if you register online. Scoretap, nice for sports scores and updates. Pdanet if you want tp\o tether you droid to PC for web use(nice when on vacation or travelling). All are free.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Astro File Manager
Titanium Backup

I'm sure two file storage apps is one too many but I find having multiple backups nice. I prefer Astro when it comes to moving files from PC to Phone and I prefer Titanium for the actual phone storage, file exploring, etc.

Handscent SMS - As mentioned above

FeedR - Constant update to all my favorite sites so I can read latest postings wherever I am

Pandora

MLB At Bat - Its about 15$, and with having MLB.TV at home it was all probably overkill, but the abillity to listen to Marty and Co. wherever I am is really awesome

Wapedia - Wikipedia app

Batter Left Widget - I don't know how the Incredible is but this what I posted about my Moto Droid and this app in another thread. "I've found the battery icon is very sketchy. It goes from 80-60-40-20-0. That's a damn big gap. You install this and it takes about a week or two to fully calibrate but when it is it is very nice to have. Tells you how much battery you have to the exact percent, how many hours you have left on that charge, and its estimated time it will die. "

Not call Log - One thing I didn't like about the droid is that after an outgoing call it sent you to your call log. This little program lets you designate where it goes. I have it set to the home screen like it should.

Seesmic - Twitter App

Beautiful Widgets - has a few widgets you can put on your homescreen and for the Moto Droid it was great because a couple were vibrate and wifi toggles.

Movies - As you can guess this has new release dvds, theatre showtimes, etc

Dolphin Browser - I downloaded this awhile back, and I don't know how the browsing experience is on the Incredible, but I preferred this to the default browser of the moto droid.

Missed Call - allows you to change the color of the LED for different notifications (i.e: text message, email, missed call, etc )

CalWidget - Widget that is synced with your google calender that I put on my homescreen. Basically a box that has upcoming events on it to remind you

Mobile Defense - After you take the five minutes to set it up it disappears from your phone but it always runs in the background. If you lose your phone, or it is stolen, you can go to their website to track your phone down.

Live Scores

WeatherBug/The Weather Channel

MotoTorch LED - turns your LED light into a flashlight.

Some great things coming out in the future. Flash coming soon. Slingbox.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola -

I rooted my droid so I don't know how risky your willing to get but it really is amazing how much you can personalize your phone. I prefer a simple look but I love it.

Photobucket
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not sure how you find something like this out, but... anyone know what the best Android phone is in Canada? I was looking at a Samsung Galaxy Spica since it's cheap and had decent reviews... but I don't know if I like a touch-screen keypad.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

The internet browser is absolutely amazing. Posting with it right now during my lunch break. I will post more thoughts later, but for internet browsing at work, this phone is performing above my highest expectations.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
rjolley
College Starter

Does anyone know of a good alarm clock app for Android? I used gAlarm on my Windows Mobile phone and it worked well. Trying to find something similar for Android.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The built in alarm is fine on my droid.

I was just messing out with Shazam, damn cool app, works as well as I could hope.
If you are going to connect this to an Exchange server, Touchdown is a must. The native email app sucks.
Also use Mileage to track my gas mileage. Just punch in your odometer and how many gallons when you fill up and it puts together stats and graphs for you.
Mototorch turns LED into flashlight with a widget button.
Pandora, personal customized radio station pretty much

I have a ton of others, but those get the most use.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-11-2010 at 03:09 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I use the default alarm as well. Are there other features that I am not considering that would make you not use the default? I use my phone alarm as a backup alarm for my clock. I don't use it for anything else.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This is my favorite.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #16
rjolley
College Starter

Maybe I need to play around with the default one more, but I liked the option to play mp3s that I had with gAlarm, and the ability to schedule multiple alarms, both quick one time alarms as well as repeating ones.

Last edited by rjolley : 06-12-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Maybe I need to play around with the default one more, but I liked the option to play mp3s that I had with gAlarm, and the ability to schedule multiple alarms, both quick one time alarms as well as repeating ones.

The default alarm allows you to schedule multiple alarms and set them for different days of the week which I like, but I don't see the ability to play mp3s. That would be a nice addition.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
This is my favorite.
Me too
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I don't know if you were considering getting the MLB at Bat app tho. But if you were hold off on that until Froyo comes out because then you can just stream from Gameday since Froyo will have flash.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Really love this phone. My old phone was only a year old, and this phone is SO much faster. The browser is so much better that it isn't even a comparsion. Being able to use the optical mouse to select small links works very well. However, if I don't feel like doing that, the pinch to zoom works great. Being able to download all of these free Android apps is awesome. The sound quality is great. Best sound quality I think I've ever had on a phone. I'm listening to Pandora Radio now and the sound quality is really quite good, especially for a phone.

Speaking of which. My favorite apps that I've tried in the last few days:

Pandora - Does a great job of picking bands that I like after a few early clunkers. I haven't played around with it too much other than today, but I hope I can select a different profile when I'm in the mood for a different type of music. Right now, I feel mellow and it is picking some great songs for my mood.

Goggle - I agree with my namesake. This app should have been included with the phone. Amazing how well it does with barcodes (I tried quite a few around the house. Love that it instantly links to Google to check prices at different places. This is something I'll use the next time I go shopping. Also did great job recognizing some of the art I have around the house.

The Weather channel is a nice little app.

I love Homerun Battle. I killed 90 minutes on it today. Only meant to play it for a few. I can see it will be a great time waster when I've have some time to kill.

Those are all of the ones I've tried so far that I really like. Oh yeah, also downloaded Lookout mobile security. Besides doing the security, I liked how quickly it backed up everything on my phone. Also, the locate phone seems like a nice little feature. I'm a bit disappointed the "screaming alarm" via that program wasn't louder. Seems like it will be just easier to call the phone if I can't find it. Still, with these advanced phones a good security app seems like a good idea.

I'll try more apps later tonight/tomorrow, but I'm enjoying these the most so far.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I love Homerun Battle. I killed 90 minutes on it today. Only meant to play it for a few. I can see it will be a great time waster when I've have some time to kill.

If this is the same game as the one I have on iPod Touch called Homerun Battle 3D by Com2Us, I can understand! I cannot let myself play this at certain times because I know I'll get sucked in. Though it did prove a nice diversion before my surgery last week...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
If this is the same game as the one I have on iPod Touch called Homerun Battle 3D by Com2Us, I can understand! I cannot let myself play this at certain times because I know I'll get sucked in. Though it did prove a nice diversion before my surgery last week...

/tk

Yes, that is the full title. Very fun game.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just found a really sweet application called Subsonic. Allows you to set up a server on your PC and from the app on your phone you can access and listen to the music on your pc from anywhere. Free 30 day trial after which you have to pay a minimum ten dollar donation.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Am I losing my mind? I thought someone poste in here about a tower defense game. I came back in here to see who it was so I could curse them.

But now I can't find that post. Either my eyes are deceiving me or I am losing my mind.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I haven't played it but I've heard a lot of good things about Robo Defense
Old 06-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I haven't played it but I've heard a lot of good things about Robo Defense

I've never played a tower defense game before, but I just tried it. I was only planning on playing for a few minutes while waiting for the Boston-LA game to begin, but I ended up playing most of the last hour. Seems like another really fun time waster.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never played a tower defense game before, but I just tried it. I was only planning on playing for a few minutes while waiting for the Boston-LA game to begin, but I ended up playing most of the last hour. Seems like another really fun time waster.

That's why I was going to curse at someone for mentioning this. :-)

This will definitely help out if I have to go on any business trips.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife was asking if Droid has an app that acts like a GPS for if you're walking around for navigation in NYC. I guess the iPhone has an app that does that.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-14-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My wife was asking if Droid has an app that acts like a GPS for if you're walking around in for navigation in NYC. I guess the iPhone has an app that does that.

Yes it does. Google navigation is awesome. It is the only map that I've ever seen that has my actual street (fairly new development.)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cool. She keeps swaying towards an iPhone (because she's used her sister's iPhone), but with the crappy AT&T network, I'm trying to steer her towards the HTC Incredible instead, as it seems a better choice. So we can cross one of her misgivings off the list.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

How is corporate (exchange) email on the Droid? We use Verizon and I would like to offer something other than Blackberry to my users (and me).
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
How is corporate (exchange) email on the Droid? We use Verizon and I would like to offer something other than Blackberry to my users (and me).

On the Incredible, it was easy to set up once I got the appropriate settings from our IT people at work. I love how easy it is to switch between my different email accounts.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #33
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Smooth Calendar for quick highlights of the day's, or next day's, schedule. Just pop it on to one of the home screens, for daily snapshot.

Sports Tap for live sports scores and info.

Droid light - turns the led into a flashlight by tapping the screen.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #34
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I was totally expected pbot to be a spam bot.

Post more Mr. 2001 .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

GAH! See, this is why Android drives me nuts. The Droid Incredible has been out for what, 2 months, and now this: Exclusive: Motorola Droid X preview -- Engadget

DECISIONS, DECISIONS....

/tk
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #36
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That looks beautiful.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That looks beautiful.

Yes, it does. At the same time, my Incredible has cured me of any IPad cravings after owning it for less than a week, and I'm sure something even better will be out in a year or so when I'm next eligible for an upgrade.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #38
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it does. At the same time, my Incredible has cured me of any IPad cravings after owning it for less than a week, and I'm sure something even better will be out in a year or so when I'm next eligible for an upgrade.

Or you know, 2 months after the Droid X is released.

/tk
Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #39
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Like she said, in two months.

That doesn't bother me at all, though. I know people tend to want the best phone and what not but with the state of smartphones in the past year I am still in love with my Moto Droid. Would I love to have an Incredible, or the X? Sure. But I am certainly not counting down the days till my contract runs out.

I may not feel that way had I not rooted my phone and overclocked it but the my phone does not lag on screen switches, on program openings, nothing. It looks beautiful. Bring on better shit. I'll be ready for it in about a year.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or you know, 2 months after the Droid X is released.

/tk

Didn't phrase that well. I meant I'm happy with my Incredible now and I'm sure something better than the Droid X will be out in a year or so. I don't need to jump at each incremental jump. I can see why it is tough to decide whether to buy any phone or not when you know a better one is down the road soon, but that is true of a lot of technology at this time.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #41
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Didn't phrase that well. I meant I'm happy with my Incredible now and I'm sure something better than the Droid X will be out in a year or so. I don't need to jump at each incremental jump. I can see why it is tough to decide whether to buy any phone or not when you know a better one is down the road soon, but that is true of a lot of technology at this time.

I gotcha. I'm just saying that I think that would/will be my biggest frustration if I end up going Android when my current phone contract expires in Oct/Nov...the feeling that 2 months after I buy it, I might have buyer's remorse or envy. Then again, I'm an early adopter usually and I like to have the latest/greatest toys. Of course, by the time my current contract expires, the phone 2 "iterations" past the Droid X will be out...

/tk
Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #42
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I gotcha. I'm just saying that I think that would/will be my biggest frustration if I end up going Android when my current phone contract expires in Oct/Nov...the feeling that 2 months after I buy it, I might have buyer's remorse or envy. Then again, I'm an early adopter usually and I like to have the latest/greatest toys. Of course, by the time my current contract expires, the phone 2 "iterations" past the Droid X will be out...

/tk

That's kind of always been how the cell phone industry has been though, hasn't it?

The moto droid was my first smartphone so that may be saying something, and to compare it to my older phones is probably not the smartest thing to do BUT

Years ago I had the Moto Razr and after that I had the LG Voyager. When I got them they were sweet. Top of the line. But two years later, when my new phone would come, I'd hold those phones and wonder how the fuck I lasted two years with it.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #43
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's kind of always been how the cell phone industry has been though, hasn't it?

The moto droid was my first smartphone so that may be saying something, and to compare it to my older phones is probably not the smartest thing to do BUT

Years ago I had the Moto Razr and after that I had the LG Voyager. When I got them they were sweet. Top of the line. But two years later, when my new phone would come, I'd hold those phones and wonder how the fuck I lasted two years with it.

Until recently, it wasn't such quick turnaround for truly lust-worthy items. 2 years is different than 2/3 months...or even 1 year (a la Apple).

/tk
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #44
rjolley
College Starter

Has anyone found a good to do/tasklist app?

Last edited by rjolley : 07-13-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #45
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Out of pure developer interest - can people who have android phones please post which apps they've purchased and which ones they've downloaded as freebies (just interested to see if the reluctance to purchase apps on Android which is widely reported is reflected here or not).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #46
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

I use Astrid. Not sure if there is anything better or not...read some positive things about it and tried it and liked it so I haven't really looked for anything else.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #47
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

I've been starting to use Toodledo as my to-do program online, so i downloaded Got To Do, which seems to work well for my needs so far and syncs with my Toodledo account.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #48
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Out of pure developer interest - can people who have android phones please post which apps they've purchased and which ones they've downloaded as freebies (just interested to see if the reluctance to purchase apps on Android which is widely reported is reflected here or not).

The only one I've purchased is Beatiful Widgets. Everything else I've downloaded has been free. I haven't bought anything else because I've been able to find a free version of what I need/want and even when there isn't a free version, I'm hesitant to plug in credit card numbers in the phone.

Free:
Advanced Task Killer
Astrid
Astro file manager
Barcode Scanner
Carr Matey
Checkers
Chess
Compass
Dictionary.com
droid light
first aid
kindle
missed call
Pandora
paper toss
Ringdroid
Scoremobile
Shazam
Smooth Calendar
Sports Tap
Weather Bug and Weather Channel
Yelp

Last edited by pbot : 07-13-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #49
rjolley
College Starter

I haven't paid for any apps, but that doesn't mean I haven't found apps I'd like to pay for. It would be nice if there was a way to tie the payment in the app market to the cell account it's bought on.

I may make the plunge soon, as I've found a few apps that are definitely worth paying for.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

Free apps: Advaced Task Killer, aLights, Battery Left, Epocrates, FxCamera, Goggles, Live Scores, Lookout, Pandora, SMS Backup, and The Weather Channel.

Paid Apps: HomeRunBattle 3D, Robo Defense, and Zenonia.

FWIW, I'd buy FM for my phone in a heartbeat