Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone know any good link-ups to get a deal on the Netflix subscription? I know CAG has one, but I'm not sure that it's any better of a deal than what you get at the actual Netflix site. I just want to get the basic BR package (I think that's $9.99/month).

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #52
RainMaker
General Manager

I've got both systems and have a Live membership because I think their online system is much better. More features and more players. If you buy a 12-month card it's really cheap.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #53
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
You don't need to pay your internet provider to view Netflix unless you're using an XBOX? I never knew that. As far as I knew, someone was paying for the ISP to provide the internet for you so there'd be a cost to access netflix on every system apart from hardware but with the XBOX you had to pay an additional fee.

Now, you may argue that you are really paying the ISP for other services and netflix is just an addition but then again, I got XBOX live for other services and netflix is just an addition to me too. That's why I like it because it was free. If I never used any service but netflix I'd probably be upset but even though I'm not an online gamer, I didn't mind buying live even before netflix and feel I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. I've bought games just as expensive and not gotten nearly as much use out of them.

Aren't you like completely missing the point of my reasons for not paying to use netflix on my XBOX360 when I can do it for less money on two different devices in my same house, by trying to fit in your agenda here?

I was merely giving my reasons for it and what I assume others have similar reasoning. Don't let me get in the way of a good PS3 vs XBOX bashing session though! (I don't own a PS3 so I'll stay out of that)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When did you request your disc Dan? I didn't realize there was some list to sign up for, I hope it doesn't take weeks to get mine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #55
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
When did you request your disc Dan? I didn't realize there was some list to sign up for, I hope it doesn't take weeks to get mine.

I can't remember, but I think it was a week ago, when I read online somewhere that you could sign up to be notified when they were ready.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #56
Flasch186
Coordinator

getting mine tomorrow.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's the site where you can sign up for the streaming disc if anyone needs it.

Streaming Disc Sign-Up

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-05-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #58
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Aren't you like completely missing the point of my reasons for not paying to use netflix on my XBOX360 when I can do it for less money on two different devices in my same house, by trying to fit in your agenda here?

I was merely giving my reasons for it and what I assume others have similar reasoning. Don't let me get in the way of a good PS3 vs XBOX bashing session though! (I don't own a PS3 so I'll stay out of that)

Sorry man, I have no agenda. I have an xbox360 because a friend was selling one used. If he'd had a ps3 I'd have bought that instead. I'm not predisposed to any system.

It sure sounds like you have an agenda when to make your point you have to misstate facts to make the situation sound worse than it is. I said, As far as I knew, someone was paying for the ISP to provide the internet for you so there'd be a cost to access netflix on every system apart from hardware but with the XBOX you had to pay an additional fee.

This is a true statement and doesn't attack or defend anyone. It states the truth. Saying only xbox360 users have to pay more than a subscription to netflix to use the service is similar but it is definitely has a built in bias since it paints a false picture precisely to make one product look worse than it actually is, which is not a good thing to the subset of people who currently have to make a choice on which system to get. Lets face it, if you already have an xbox360 you'd just buy a Roku player to watch netflix as opposed to a ps3 and if you have a ps3 you no longer need to worry about getting an xbox360.

See, i don't really see any dilemma except artificial ones thrown up by console war participants who can't see anyone except as either friend or foes and paint agendas where no agenda exists.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #59
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can this thread title just get changed to less of a clusterfuck? Netflix streams to PS3 or something to that effect.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Sorry man, I have no agenda. I have an xbox360 because a friend was selling one used. If he'd had a ps3 I'd have bought that instead. I'm not predisposed to any system.

It sure sounds like you have an agenda when to make your point you have to misstate facts to make the situation sound worse than it is. I said, As far as I knew, someone was paying for the ISP to provide the internet for you so there'd be a cost to access netflix on every system apart from hardware but with the XBOX you had to pay an additional fee.

This is a true statement and doesn't attack or defend anyone. It states the truth. Saying only xbox360 users have to pay more than a subscription to netflix to use the service is similar but it is definitely has a built in bias since it paints a false picture precisely to make one product look worse than it actually is, which is not a good thing to the subset of people who currently have to make a choice on which system to get. Lets face it, if you already have an xbox360 you'd just buy a Roku player to watch netflix as opposed to a ps3 and if you have a ps3 you no longer need to worry about getting an xbox360.

See, i don't really see any dilemma except artificial ones thrown up by console war participants who can't see anyone except as either friend or foes and paint agendas where no agenda exists.

I don't even understand your argument. I pay the electric company for the power I use for the tv to watch it on also.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Anybody using a roku player for netflix?

No, but I'm considering getting a Tivo box that does netflix. Anyone do that?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #62
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't even understand your argument. I pay the electric company for the power I use for the tv to watch it on also.

What's the argument?

XBox 360 - Must have Live Gold account which costs $60 a year and must have Netflix account
PS3 - Must have Netflix account.

Thus it costs more to use Netflix on a 360 than it does on a PS3.

Oh and as I stated more than once, I like my 360 about twice as much as my PS3.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #63
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Anybody using a roku player for netflix?
Yes.
See previous page.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #64
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What's the argument?

XBox 360 - Must have Live Gold account which costs $60 a year and must have Netflix account
PS3 - Must have Netflix account.

Thus it costs more to use Netflix on a 360 than it does on a PS3.

Oh and as I stated more than once, I like my 360 about twice as much as my PS3.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I had said before. But he was bringing up stuff about ISP costs that didn't make any sense is all. I don't even understand why he is trying to bring me into some silly console war. I mean I use my game console like 2 times a year or something rediculous.. I could really not care that much

Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #65
Flasch186
Coordinator

^interesting

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Can this thread title just get changed to less of a clusterfuck? Netflix streams to PS3 or something to that effect.

Done.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My wife and I started playing around with the Netflix site last night. I'm one of the 1.2 million people that Netflix expects to jump on board due to the new PS3 streaming option. I added the Blu-ray option to my subscription.

1. I love the option to stream kids shows. This will help to avoid seeing the same kid movies over and over again.

2. I also like how the service automatically checks your queue and switches your movie request to Blu-ray if it's available in the HD format. I thought I was going to have to change my queue selections to BR, but I was glad to see that wasn't the case.

3. The suggested movies didn't do much for me. I could do without that.

Overall, I'm really impressed. My streaming disc for the PS3 will be here by Monday.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #68
samifan24
Pro Starter

How do you order a streaming disc for the PS3? I went to the Netflix URL listed earlier in this thread and it was a dead end.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #69
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish they would send me the email letting me know when the netflix stream disc would be arriving.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #70
Flasch186
Coordinator

wow, the picture is a real blast from the past...quality is pretty bad in comparison to the stuff Im used to watching now.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

WTF you have to actually use the disc to do Netflix, it's now just an update. FAIL.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #72
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone that has received the PS3 netflix disk, any comments? Is the interface the same as the 360?

We received the email saying our disk was shipped out so, should have it by Thursday.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #73
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Anyone that has received the PS3 netflix disk, any comments? Is the interface the same as the 360?

We received the email saying our disk was shipped out so, should have it by Thursday.

Once I realized that I have to have the disc in any time I choose to use it I lost interest. My disc is sitting collecting dust for now.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #74
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I've see a few reviews comparing the two. They said the wait time to load the application is one second longer than the 360. The wait time to load the streaming movie is roughly 3-4 seconds longer than the 360. So there's a bit more wait time, though it's only about 5 seconds from start to finish.

On the plus side, the video quality appears to be a bit better on the PS3 from what I've read thus far. I'm also getting mine on Thursday, so I'll be able to give it a whirl then.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm noticing they seemed to throttle my account already. I used to mail the discs on a Monday, they'd get there on Tuesday and I'd have a new batch on Wednesday. My latest email was indicating a Thursday ship. Which means that I'm unlikely to get any more movies till monday(assuming I watch them and have them mailed out on friday).
Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #76
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Mine arrived last Friday. Installed and I've watched a few documentaries with no problem. It's fine. I don't mind the disc having to be in there, I mean..it's not like I'd get to play a game and watch a movie at the same time. It's nice, because before I'd have to hook the laptop up to the TV to watch Netflix and that got annoying.

I've only been using Netflix for a month, so...anyway, I'm glad they did this after checking out instant streaming on my brother's 360 and seeing how sweet it works.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #77
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I don't understand the hangup about putting a disk in to have something stream. If you were going to watch a movie, you would put a disk in so, what am I missing?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #78
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I guess I don't understand the hangup about putting a disk in to have something stream. If you were going to watch a movie, you would put a disk in so, what am I missing?

I think it's probably just that 360 people can do it automatically is probably the hangup. Maybe some folks are afraid they'll lose the disc. I don't know that I get it, either. I did get the impression when I first read it, that the disc was a one-time thing, but once we got it in the mail it seemed evident that it'd have to be in there and loaded it each time.

But it's not anymore of a hassle than say, plugging up the computer. So it's all good.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #79
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a video walkthrough in case anyone is curious........

PS3 Netflix walkthrough

BTW.....Got my first BR disc in the mail. Valkyrie. Pretty good movie if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-12-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #80
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Odd.

I was trying to watch a HD show on Netflix on the PS3 and I was not getting any sound. No issues with games or Blu ray... ??
Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Got my streaming disc last night. Daughter watched a Muppets movie and I tested out a couple of the HD movies. Quality of even the old SD movies was pretty good and HD feeds worked like a charm. Load time was there, but it wasn't very long at all.

I'm going to be using this service a LOT.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

agreed. I have a fairly good upscaler in my TV, and I was pretty impressed with the quality of the video. I'd say the non-hd stream looked slightly better than a DVD when all was said and done.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #83
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
agreed. I have a fairly good upscaler in my TV, and I was pretty impressed with the quality of the video. I'd say the non-hd stream looked slightly better than a DVD when all was said and done.

The quality of the SD stream surprised me to be honest. My daughter had been watching some of the kids movies on the laptop. I was wondering if the image on the TV might be a bit blocky or stretched, but it was very good. 'Scooby Doo and the Zombie Ghost' looked quite nice as did 'The Muppets Take Manhattan'.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #84
wade moore
lolzcat

Us 360 users could have told you this MONTHS ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Us 360 users could have told you this MONTHS ago.

Yes, but I was concerned that the vastly inferior free service on the PS3 would make the movies look similar to an Atari 2600 video game. I'm sure you sympathize with my plight.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #86
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yes, but I was concerned that the vastly inferior free service on the PS3 would make the movies look similar to an Atari 2600 video game. I'm sure you sympathize with my plight.

Ah, yes - fair point.

I should start another thread about that though, because the MW2 debacle is a perfect example of why I'm willing to pay for XBL.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #87
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

$5/month.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ah, yes - fair point.

I should start another thread about that though, because the MW2 debacle is a perfect example of why I'm willing to pay for XBL.

Yeah, it's hard to find anyone to play with amongst the 250K players online every night playing MW2 on the PS3. People just quit out of frustration. Plus, it looks like an Atari 2600 game.

Take it to the MW2 thread. I want to talk about how good Dora the Explorer looks when streamed to my PS3.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-13-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #89
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yeah, it's hard to find anyone to play with amongst the 250K players online every night playing MW2 on the PS3. People just quit out of frustration. Plus, it looks like an Atari 2600 game.

Take it to the MW2 thread. I want to talk about how good Dora the Explorer looks when streamed to my PS3.

Er - you must not know about the MW2 problems.

The servers were completely down for most of the first 3 days after release because they couldn't handle the load. That was my point.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #90
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Er - you must not know about the MW2 problems.

The servers were completely down for most of the first 3 days after release because they couldn't handle the load. That was my point.

And as soon as you explain how this has anything to do with Netflix, I'd be happy to discuss it here. There's a place for the discussion, but this isn't it.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #91
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
And as soon as you explain how this has anything to do with Netflix, I'd be happy to discuss it here. There's a place for the discussion, but this isn't it.

Gotcha - because FOFC is all about staying on topic.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Gotcha - because FOFC is all about staying on topic.

"So you're saying there's a chance?"
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #93
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Got my disc yesterday. Video quality looks great, just like the 360. I'll watch on both now. The 360 is the main gaming rig upstairs and the PS3 is the entertainment console in the living room.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #94
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Got my disc yesterday. Video quality looks great, just like the 360. I'll watch on both now. The 360 is the main gaming rig upstairs and the PS3 is the entertainment console in the living room.

Can't we all just get along?

I just figured out that I can go out to the streaming request site and get a 2nd streaming disc for my other PS3. Glad they made that an option so I don't have to swap the same disc back and forth between the two rooms.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #95
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

CEO of Netflix announced today that Netflix will implement a disc-free interface on the PS3 by October 2010. Not surprising since we knew the MS exclusivity on the disc-less interface expires in October 2010.