Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
JS19
College Prospect

Question for the Docs - Alcohol use and Bronchitis

Ok, here's my deal... About 10 days ago, started feeling a little under the weather, decided to ride it out as I thought it was just a cold and would pass. After some ups and downs over the past week or so, it started getting worse so I went to the doctor. He said it looks like bronchitis and prescribed me Azithromycin. It's a 5 day cycle which I started yesterday (Friday, Oct 1). I have every intention of going to the Giants game tomorrow night with some friends, indulging in more than a few cocktails. I'm an idiot and forgot to ask my doctor about this during the appointment, so I figured I come here. As much as I would like to participate in the tailgate activities, this shit really sucks ass and I wanna rid myself of it ASAP. So would it be a horrible idea to drink tomorrow night, or am I good to go? I've looked up a few things online but am getting conflicting reports.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
fpres
High School JV

There are no known direct interactions between azithromycin and alcohol. I double checked the drug monograph to make sure there wasn't any new data that I'm unfamiliar with.

FYI, since you'll probably be outside for tailgating activities, azithromycin does increase your risk for experiencing sunburn (even if you're not normally prone to it)...sunscreen or keeping exposed skin to a minimum should limit that risk.

Last edited by fpres : 10-02-2010 at 06:30 PM.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Are you coughing up crap that resembles oatmeal?

That was my favorite part of bronchitis... especially when a glob unexpectedly flew out my mouth & hit a glass wall on a bus stop.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hahah Azithromycin sounds like it's an antibiotic, I remember once I was at a multi-day drinking/partying event and got bit by something (a spider we think) and then the bite got infected. I ended up going to one of the docs who was at the event and wanted to prescribe an antibiotic, and that was my first question, "Can I still drink? Because if not, I'm not going on it!" He assured me it was OK to drink.

In retrospect, though, that may not have been the most mature response...

fpres, since you seem to have lots of medical answers, I usually end up Googling things like this, and end up at drugs.com and the like to find interactions. Assuming I forgot to or can't ask the doctor and/or the pharmacist, are those sites legit, or am I better off calling the pharmacy and asking?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
fpres
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
fpres, since you seem to have lots of medical answers, I usually end up Googling things like this, and end up at drugs.com and the like to find interactions. Assuming I forgot to or can't ask the doctor and/or the pharmacist, are those sites legit, or am I better off calling the pharmacy and asking?

/tk

drugs.com is okay for basic information as far as open access sites go, but I wouldn't base any medical decisions (definitely not interactions) off of their information. For various reasons, I'm wary of sites like that and would recommend calling the pharmacy for questions.

IMO, the most reliable and user-friendly resources are PDR, Epocrates, and Tarascon...all are subscription-based though.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote