Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #401
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Favre is the most overrated. has been for a long time

I dont understand this at all.

Jets go from a 4 win team to a 9 win team with the Favre addition. Vikings go from a 10 win first round loser to the cusp of the Super Bowl with the Favre addition. The Packers go from a 13 win team to a 6 win team when they lost Favre. His teams have been in the playoffs all but 5 seasons.

I understand if people get sick of hearing about him but come on lets not be ridiculous. He is one year removed from having one of the greatest years from a QB in NFL history.

I guess I shouldnt be surprised last year Adrian Peterson was the most overrated player in the NFL according to some people. The problem is football is a complex game and many people dont really understand it like people that claim losing Moss wasnt going to hurt the Pats offense all that much.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-26-2010 at 01:27 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #402
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just think an offensive line can fix a lot of holes at once. It makes a QB look better when they have time. It can make an average back look great.

I don't think throwing a new QB to the wolves with a shitty line helps anything. I'd rather build a solid young line and then take my shots at a QB when I get them.

I agree with you as long as its a left tackle you are drafting first overall. A great left tackle is such a rarity in the NFL that a team needs to do all they can to get the top tier ones when they are out there.

Id actually consider a shutdown corner if he were out there as well. Having a shutdown corner can change an entire defense.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-26-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #403
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I dont understand this at all.

Jets go from a 4 win team to a 9 win team with the Favre addition. Vikings go from a 10 win first round loser to the cusp of the Super Bowl with the Favre addition. The Packers go from a 13 win team to a 6 win team when they lost Favre.

The Packers' problems that year were not at quarterback.

As for the "Favre addition," I'd point out two things.

1) The Jets also made a couple key additions to the offensive line the year they brought Favre in. I'm not saying Pennington wins 9 games with that OL, but I'm not saying he doesn't, either.

2) The Vikings had a phenomenal ground game already, and Favre was a significant upgrade over Tavaris Jackson, yes. They also had Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin become big threats last year. I don't know how much of that was them just being better than Bernard Berrian and Bobby Wade and how much was Favre's influence, but again, I'd argue that the Vikings' improvement was not solely due to Favre.

He can make a good team better. I'm not certain, at his age, that he can make a bad team good.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #404
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Do you honestly think the Jaguars ever, once, regretted taking Tony Boselli?
The Texans did.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #405
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The Packers' problems that year were not at quarterback.

As for the "Favre addition," I'd point out two things.

1) The Jets also made a couple key additions to the offensive line the year they brought Favre in. I'm not saying Pennington wins 9 games with that OL, but I'm not saying he doesn't, either.

2) The Vikings had a phenomenal ground game already, and Favre was a significant upgrade over Tavaris Jackson, yes. They also had Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin become big threats last year. I don't know how much of that was them just being better than Bernard Berrian and Bobby Wade and how much was Favre's influence, but again, I'd argue that the Vikings' improvement was not solely due to Favre.

He can make a good team better. I'm not certain, at his age, that he can make a bad team good.

Im not disagreeing with any of this. I was just basically refuting the Favre has been overrated for a long time comment. Certainly nothing backs this up. Im not hearing anyone call him the best QB in the league right now or anything like that so Im not sure why he was brought up.

A case could be made for Jay Cutler or Tony Romo(even though after watching the Cowboys without him tonight Im not buying into him being overrated either) or maybe Jared Allen but certainly not Brett Favre. Favre is just old and people were expecting him to eventually fall apart. It seems to be happening now.

I guess Im just at a loss at how someone is overrated 6 games into the next season after a prior season in which he threw 33 tds and 7 ints and was top 5 in the league in MVP voting and hes 40+ years old.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-26-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #406
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Two fractures in his ankle and there is still a strong chance he could start?

Yup. Clearly he is overrated.

And he's sucked this year when he hasn't had two fractures in his ankle.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #407
Thomkal
Head Coach

QB Injury Update:

Cards: Max Hall suffered a concussion-undergoing tests to see if he can start this week and Coach Whiz has said he will start if healthy. Personally I'd like to see 5th round pick John Skelton this week (I mean c'mon Skelton playing on Halloween-its a must!) and give Hall a week to recover. But it likely be Hall or Anderson.

49'ers-Looking like a sprained shoulder for Alex Smith, don't know how bad it is yet. David Carr is warming up in London as we speak...

Vikings: Favre has a fractured ankle-could barely walk off the interview stand, but will play. I know he's got that streak and all, but maybe its time to sit him? And the NFL might finish their investigation of him this week too-apparantly he's claiming he left the voice mails, but not the pics.

Cowboys: Oh Jerry Jones your dream of playing in your home stadium for the Super Bowl is officially over with Romo's broken collarbone. What a disaster in Dallas. Kitna takes over and least has a lot of experience and some good performances in the past to fall back on. Lots of changes coming to Dallas in the offseason I think.

Atlanta-Matt Ryan was knocked out of the game for one play with an apparant back injury, but came back and likely is okay.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #408
RainMaker
General Manager

Am I missing something with Max Hall? I know it's a good story and all, but the guy really looked bad out there. I know the Cards aren't contenders, but they're still only a game out in a really bad division. Anderson is not a good QB, but he at least is somewhat competent.

I really don't understand what Arizona is trying to do at all.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #409
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Am I missing something with Max Hall? I know it's a good story and all, but the guy really looked bad out there. I know the Cards aren't contenders, but they're still only a game out in a really bad division. Anderson is not a good QB, but he at least is somewhat competent.

I really don't understand what Arizona is trying to do at all.

I think Coach Whiz is enamored with him, sees so much potential in him that he's willing to take his rookie mistakes at this point. I really don't know how they've won any games at all with either Anderson or Hall at this point because both have looked really bad. But yeah at least Anderson has some good moments once in a while in a game and has the experience Hall clearly lacks.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #410
Butter
Coordinator

I think Arizona is trying to enter the Luck sweepstakes.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #411
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't understand them drafting Spiller, and then not playing him immediately. It was basically lions-esque. They took Lynch at 12 like 3 years ago. I think Fred Jackson is pretty good too, you can win with him.

Yeah, this is a team that likes to draft RBs early and then let them go or trade them after a couple of seasons.

Travis Henry>>Willis McGhahee>>Marshawn Lynch>>CJ Spiller>>2013 1st rd pick

I think the Bills are the type of franchise that needs to try & get the basics down & then add a vet QB and other playmaking Off/Def guys when they have the lines covered. Drafting these positions high is such a crapshoot & by the time they are deemed to be pretty good they move on because the team still stinks & cant afford (or wont afford) to pay them (i.e. Clements).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote