Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #501
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm also hoping/guessing that the manner in which your animals were killed were slightly different, as was their day to day living conditions/activities.

The honest truth is that the living conditions for most of the animals rasied for meat in this country are probably considerably worse than the day to day living conditions of Vick's dogs and, as sick as it sounds, at least Vick's dogs had a fighting chance at survival.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #502
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Plus Vick actually treated the animals well when alive. Here is an article about Oreo, the dog that was tossed out of a window, and unfortunately had to be euthenized because it was too violent. Here is a quote at the end of the article by the ASPCA speaker:

Quote:
Mr. Sayres said the society had evaluated dogs taken from Michael Vick, the football quarterback who served 18 months in federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring. He said that fighting dogs normally have to be euthanized, but that 49 of the 50 Vick dogs “were immediately adoptable.”

“There are no prejudgments,” he said in an interview. “We look at the actual behavior.”

So it appears that they were kept in better condition and healthier both behavorially and physically than ex-fighting dogs usually are.

(article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/nyregion/13oreo.html)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-17-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #503
lungs
Pro Rookie

Not saying anybody has a right or wrong answer, I just thought it'd be interesting to bring this up as a moral conundrum. If Vick's causing death is what people are outraged about, I've caused exponentially more death than Vick has.

And Molson, cows most certainly do fight! Every Tuesday is fight day on my farm as that's when we have to shuffle cows around to different pens for various reasons and it turns into a social struggle/status type of thing. I just don't have people gathered around betting and I also remove the cow's weapon (horns) when they are young.

Not to turn this into one of those threads.......
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #504
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think the big difference is that you provide a much more valuable service to your community than what Vick did with the dog fighting. Dog fighting is a very niche 'hobby', whereas providing people with sustenance, benefits way more people.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #505
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
If Vick's causing death is what people are outraged about, I've caused exponentially more death than Vick has.

I don't think it is the causing of death that is outrageous, it is more about how it was done. Killing dogs hits home with a majority of the population because they are easily the most popular pet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Plus Vick actually treated the animals well when alive.

Well, except for that whole having them kill each other thing.

But congratulations, you have now provided the single most absurd sentence in the history of the FOFC, so you've got that going for you.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #507
RainMaker
General Manager

Are we really arguing in defense of Michael Vick by comparing it to the slaughter of animals for meat?

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #508
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm guessing you don't kill cows for the entertainment value.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #509
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Us white people just like shooting animals with shotguns and displaying the carcasses as trophies!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #510
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

But congratulations, you have now provided the single most absurd sentence in the history of the FOFC, so you've got that going for you.

Yeah, because facts must be absurd.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #511
chadritt
High School Varsity

Theres treating them well and then theres treating them better than other dog fighters would. Its fairly faint praise to say "well...he could have been worse to them"
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #512
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

+1
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #513
Thomkal
Head Coach

And the QB injuries just continue:

Houston's Matt Schaub was hospitalized and had a procedure done on his knee-bursa sac. Injury won't require surgery and will return to practice today. Something to watch if your a Texans fan. Unfortunately Matt Leinart is third on the depth chart so won't get to play very likely if Schaub can't go/gets hurt in the game.

Carolina may pull people off the street or in the stands soon-they are still down to the fourth RB-and recent signee Bryan St Pierre may start over Tony Pike at QB. Their best linebacker (Beeson) didn't practice, neither did their 3rd WR (LaFell)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #514
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm guessing you don't kill cows for the entertainment value.

Ritual killing of the bulls before matches proposed for FIFA World Cup 2010 - National South Africa Travel | Examiner.com

or

Spanish-style bullfighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just sayin'
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote