Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Where does my money go (UK) - Is there a US equivalent

Hi,

If you pop along to:

Where Does My Money Go | Showing you where your taxes get spent

Then English people can enter their salary into the site and it explains what they pay in tax and where it goes - very friendly and informative, is there a US equivalent out there?

Marc

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Thread won already.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sorry to kill this Marc.

Here is the best info that I have been able to find.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Thanks PilotMan - much appreciated;

My thought after my first glance look was that I expected the military spending to be higher .. however once I looked closer I found it interesting that its sorted by cost and that the various military costs are split up several times to try and make them appear lesser (when in fact if they're totalled they're probably the biggest expense).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-11-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Thanks PilotMan - much appreciated;

My thought after my first glance look was that I expected the military spending to be higher .. however once I looked closer I found it interesting that its sorted by cost and that the various military costs are split up several times to try and make them appear lesser (when in fact if they're totalled they're probably the biggest expense).

By my quick math, it's about $7700 for defense so not as much as social security but more than everything else. That said, you also receive back your social security money so that's pay today to get it back tomorrow.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
By my quick math, it's about $7700 for defense so not as much as social security but more than everything else. That said, you also receive back your social security money so that's pay today to get it back tomorrow.

SI

The way I totalled things was:

Code:
Main short-term military costs Non-Iraq Military 2188.03 Iraq/Afghan 1780.46 Military Personnel 1534.71 Military weapons 1232.48 Military research 969.90 Total 7705.58 Main long-term military costs Veterans benefits 594.09 Veteran health 490.90 Military retirement 259.48 Total 1344.47 Sum Total: 9050.05 Comparison: NASA 217.24

I realise that long term costs are somewhat committed to (ie. you can't just cull them) however by continuing to commit huge amounts of money to the military they are only going to get worse - restricting the military budget would also reduce the long term costs over time ...

(big military seems a larger cost to America and its people/economy than 'big government' tbh)

I also find it a travesty that NASA which provides hugely not just for America but for human kind has a budget which is a fraction of that committed to the military - heck a fraction of the military 'research' budget, why in this day and age are we committing more money to destroying each other than to improving ourselves? ....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think an important question is who is getting that "interest on the national debt" that comes out to like half a trillion a year? I know the simple answer is bond holders, but I would love a breakdown of who the bond holders are. Where is that money really going?

Last edited by panerd : 12-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
The way I totalled things was:

Code:
Main short-term military costs Non-Iraq Military 2188.03 Iraq/Afghan 1780.46 Military Personnel 1534.71 Military weapons 1232.48 Military research 969.90 Total 7705.58 Main long-term military costs Veterans benefits 594.09 Veteran health 490.90 Military retirement 259.48 Total 1344.47 Sum Total: 9050.05 Comparison: NASA 217.24

I realise that long term costs are somewhat committed to (ie. you can't just cull them) however by continuing to commit huge amounts of money to the military they are only going to get worse - restricting the military budget would also reduce the long term costs over time ...

(big military seems a larger cost to America and its people/economy than 'big government' tbh)

I also find it a travesty that NASA which provides hugely not just for America but for human kind has a budget which is a fraction of that committed to the military - heck a fraction of the military 'research' budget, why in this day and age are we committing more money to destroying each other than to improving ourselves? ....

You are also forgetting all of the spy agencies and border control and foreign "aid". Pretty sure this all is part of the military industrial complex.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think an important question is who is getting that "interest on the national debt" that comes out to like half a trillion a year? I know the simple answer is bond holders, but I would love a breakdown of who the bond holders are. Where is that money really going?

Wikipedia has an interesting breakdown on this - interestingly the UK is the third largest holder behind China and Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_debt
Code:
Nation/Territory - billions of dollars - percentage People's Republic of China (mainland) $846.7b 20.8% Japan $821.0b 20.2% United Kingdom $374.3b 9.2% Oil exporters1 $223.8b 5.5% Caribbean Banking Centers2 $150.7b 3.7% Brazil $162.2b 4.0% Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) $135.2b 3.3% Russia $130.9b 3.2% Republic of China (Taiwan) $130.5b 3.2% Grand Total $4065.8b 100%

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

This might interest a few people also - its the UK government statistics website but appears to link to the US equivalent information in some areas:

UK National Debt - Current, Recent, Historical Charts Tables
Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And old people.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Anything like this for Canada?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote