Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

R.I.P. Phil Kennemore (1953-2011)

Hated to see this today, was hoping for good news since the recent announcement of his illness but it was not to be. Kept rocking right to near the end really, a new album released earlier this year & he was still solid.

Sleaze Roxx: Y&T Bassist Phil Kennemore Passes Away From Lung Cancer
Y&T bassist Phil Kennemore has lost his battle with lung cancer -- his longtime friend and bandmate Dave Meniketti posted the following message this morning.

"It is with profound sadness and disbelief that I tell you that my best buddy for 37 years passed away this morning, January 7, 2011 at 1am at Stanford Hospital. Bravely and steadfastly battling the horrible spectacle of lung cancer, at the end he was surrounded by his family members, and the Y&T family up until his final breath.

All the beautiful things that I could say about my buddy Phil could never be summed up in a short sentence or two, and I promise that I will be back to say so much more about how I feel about him and his talents in due time. But for now, at 3am, after just having returned home from his passing, let me at least put this out there.

Phil Kennemore was not only a sweet and passionate man with his life, friends and family, but as an artist, he also had that rare ability to say what was on his mind with the most eloquent, clever, and to-the-point lyrics, yet could turn it on it's head in a second with some other viewpoint on reality and nail the point dead center. He was able to do what very few can - say the things that others have been thinking, but could never quite seem to put into words. He has always had a keen knack for doing that.

As a musician, with those huge fingers, his bass playing was always loud, strong, and deep, filling the largest or smallest of stages equally.

He had an amazingly strong life force that has influenced everyone who ever had the opportunity to be called a friend of his. I am forever grateful for our lifelong friendship, that was always in place throughout the worst and best of times. I will miss his sense of humor, his amazing wit, but most of all I will always miss not seeing him to my left on the stages I will play from this moment forward.

Yes, he was one of the class guys on this planet, and in this business, and I will always do what I can to spread the legacy of Phil Kennemore across the globe on every stage that I land on.

You know how much I love you Phil, and you knew how much your fans and fellow musicians loved and respected you. There was nothing left unsaid. You had a rich and wonderful life and I can only tell you that I was happy to have been alongside you every step of the glorious way.

Cheers to you, Phil. Your friend forever, Dave"

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Y&T?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

70's-80's band
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Their biggest hit was Summertime Girls.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Their biggest hit was Summertime Girls.

Yep, although I thought Mean Streak was a better song, with Lipstick & Leather quite possibly the best of them all.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I had a couple of their albums, never really stuck with me much. They were kinda like the predecessor/lite version of Van Halen in some ways.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
frnk55
High School Varsity

Lipstick & Leather rocked! Good band.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote