Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #251
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Sorry, we were looking for 'I changed my mind and voted democrat'

I think that was the $200 question. Too easy.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #252
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

"I guess file sharing doesn't hurt anyone..." has to be the $1000, right?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #253
SackAttack
Head Coach

That just seems like it could be a thread all on its own.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I think that was the $200 question. Too easy.

Nope.

$200 is "He's too conservative for me"
$400 is "He's just not liberal enough for me"
Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #255
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nope.

$600 is "Liberals are better at math than me."
Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #256
RainMaker
General Manager

Couple questions here:

1) Thoughts on Portal 2? I didn't play the first one but am intrigued by the game. How many hours of gameplay is it?

2) Have seen Mafia II on sale at some places. Is this game worth picking up?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #257
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nope.

$1000 "Counting to seven is for the birds*"

*commies?

edit : bah SA beat me

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-23-2011 at 08:29 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #258
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

1) Thoughts on Portal 2? I didn't play the first one but am intrigued by the game. How many hours of gameplay is it?

Better than the first. Single player and co-op are two different games with different stories. Each are around 6 hours of gameplay, maybe a more, so you're looking at 12+ hours.

I'd suggest playing through the first if you can. The first is only about 4 hours of gameplay, but gives you the background on the story for 2 and an idea of what to expect.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #259
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

2) Have seen Mafia II on sale at some places. Is this game worth picking up?

I'm playing it now and I am absolutely loving it. Just don't expect an open world game, but more of a linear story(IE no side quests) set inside of what could be a great open world setting. There is definitely a great mafia story here.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #260
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Portal 2 looks really good and runs even smoother. Very impressed. Half-life 3 with this engine? Will be amazing.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #261
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Portal 2 looks really good and runs even smoother. Very impressed. Half-life 3 with this engine? Will be amazing.

I'm amazed the source engine is 7 years old and is still capable of looking this good.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #262
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I think it's still the Source engine, though Valve has added a lot of improvements since Half Life 2. I've really liked listening to the in game developer commentaries Valve has done since in their games since Lost Coast that talk about both gameplay elements and tech changes they've made.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #263
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Found you and added you to my friends list on Steam in case you want to play coop, my nickname there is currently Heisenberg.

But is anyone sees you on line, doesn't that impact the result of the check to see if you are online?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #264
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That just seems like it could be a thread all on its own.

Great idea!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #265
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Better than the first. Single player and co-op are two different games with different stories. Each are around 6 hours of gameplay, maybe a more, so you're looking at 12+ hours.

I'd suggest playing through the first if you can. The first is only about 4 hours of gameplay, but gives you the background on the story for 2 and an idea of what to expect.

Thanks, I'm going to play Portal Still Alive first.. just downloaded on XBL.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #266
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think it's still the Source engine, though Valve has added a lot of improvements since Half Life 2. I've really liked listening to the in game developer commentaries Valve has done since in their games since Lost Coast that talk about both gameplay elements and tech changes they've made.

They just get it. I was typing up something longer, but that pretty much sums it up.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #267
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm still wondering if the delay for Episode 3 isn't because of some changes they needed to make to the engine for what they wanted to do with the game and when we do see either Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 it will be with the Source 2 engine. And with how impressive the improvements they implemented for Episodes 1 and 2 were I really can't wait to see what they've done with how long they've had to work on it.

Also on the topic of Portal 2, Cave Johnson may be my favorite video game character in recent memory, which is saying quite a bit being he's only in the game through old voice recordings.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #268
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I just assumed they had abandoned the idea of episodic content long ago. My feeling was they could have developed episode 3 with current tech and Half-Life 3/new tech in tandem. Especially with Steam, the amount of money that's bringing in is astounding.

I imagine HL3 will be a huge release with some innovative Steam tie-ins for DLC, smaller but more quantity than the Episodes.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-24-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #269
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I just assumed they had abandoned the idea of episodic content long ago. My feeling was they could have developed episode 3 with current tech and Half-Life 3/new tech in tandem. Especially with Steam, the amount of money that's bringing in is astounding.

I imagine HL3 will be a huge release with some innovative Steam tie-ins for DLC, smaller but more quantity than the Episodes.

It seems like they abandoned the episodic content a while ago, which is kind of surprising being it seems like it would work great for them with Steam. My guess is there were some things they wanted to do with North Pole environments and the Borealis that they weren't able to do with their current tech in 2007 so they pushed everything back to episode 3. With all the money they have from Steam they certainly have the time to add in plenty to the Source engine and get it optimized on all systems.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #270
mckerney
Coordinator

Now that Portal 2 is out hopefully it won't be too long until Valve finishes porting the Left 4 Dead maps over to Left 4 Dead 2. I'm also really looking forward to Dota 2 as I spent several hundred hours playing DOTA in college and excited to hear what they have Thief and System Shock creator Doug Church working on.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #271
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Now that Portal 2 is out hopefully it won't be too long until Valve finishes porting the Left 4 Dead maps over to Left 4 Dead 2. I'm also really looking forward to Dota 2 as I spent several hundred hours playing DOTA in college and excited to hear what they have Thief and System Shock creator Doug Church working on.

If you haven't checked it out yet League of Legends is a free to play MOBA that has the original DOTA All Stars Devs working on it. Valve hired Icefrog, the guy they passed DOTA over to when the left to form their own company.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #272
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If you haven't checked it out yet League of Legends is a free to play MOBA that has the original DOTA All Stars Devs working on it. Valve hired Icefrog, the guy they passed DOTA over to when the left to form their own company.

I tried League of Legends and really didn't like it. There were a few gameplay changes from DOTA that I hated, but what really killed it for me was the lack of heroes in games when I started due to the free to play model. It wasn't much fun to have games where there were 8 heroes for people to pick from when starting out.

I do like Heroes of Newerth for a DOTA clone, though I'm really looking forward to see what Valve and Icefrog can do with the genre.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

OK, this fucking playstation network outage is making me furious. I don't want to play online, but I just want to be able to update my rosters in NBA2k11. I got the game on thursday, and want to start a career, however I can't get the updated shit cause ass clowns decided to hack the network.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #274
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Worst time for me. Holy week holidays over here and no Killzone 3 MP for me.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #275
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just found ot that Duke is being delayed until June. I guess after 12 years I can't complain about another month.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #276
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Just found ot that Duke is being delayed until June. I guess after 12 years I can't complain about another month.

greatest troll ever, say its actually coming out and then keep delaying it every month. lmfao.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #277
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I've never pre-ordered a game in my life until this year with LA Noire. It just looks too good. From the previews, I'm not sure it will definitely be for everyone, but I think those that enjoy will really enjoy it. I'm hoping it brings me back somewhat to my days as Sonny Bonds in pursuit of the Death Angel, Jesse Bains.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #278
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is crazy. Fuck you Kevin Butler
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #279
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Game of the Decade for me, based on the overall atmosphere. The story and writing are golden and make for a nice payoff for each puzzle you complete. I haven't enjoyed a game ending so much since I finished Plants Vs. Zombies and watched the music video at the end.

Now to play it back through again, taking my time to look around a bit more.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #280
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Starts out a bit slow(was very briefly worried), but then you hear GladOS's voice and you are back in the same old goodness. Except much much better.

Edit: I guess that doesn't help to much if you haven't played the first. So let me amend it with the following, fucking buy it already!

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-25-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #281
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This is crazy. Fuck you Kevin Butler

You could always sell your PS3 and pick up a 360 if it has pissed you off this much. You could also just swap your PS3 games for the same game on the 360. I know if xbox live was down for this long I would have done smashed both of my 360s.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #282
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

And since other people are complaining I will do my complaining for the day. How hard would it be to redesign the 360 game cases?

After hearing horror stories from other people who have cracked their disks simply putting them in the case(seriously you have to forcibly push the cheap ass plastic in the center of the disk around the rigid hard plastic of the case?) I have finally cracked my first disk simply putting it up. I'm pissed, but I won't make the same mistake again. All my games are going to be moved to a CD case while the cases will remain on the shelves.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #283
MJ4H
Coordinator

Nintendo has officially announced its intention to release a new console in 2012. According to a note published this morning on the company's Japanese investor relations website, "Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011."
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #284
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Nintendo has officially announced its intention to release a new console in 2012. According to a note published this morning on the company's Japanese investor relations website, "Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011."

They say the hardware is going to be more powerful than both the 360 and PS3 and the controller will feature dual analog sticks! In typical Nintendo fashion the system would not be complete without some silly gimmick so the console will indeed have a touch screen(6 in?) on the controller and be able to stream games directly to the controller from the console. Or so says the rumor guys.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #285
MikeVic
Head Coach

PSN update: Sony isn't sure your credit card data is safe

Just FYI for the PS3 owners.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #286
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
They say the hardware is going to be more powerful than both the 360 and PS3 and the controller will feature dual analog sticks! In typical Nintendo fashion the system would not be complete without some silly gimmick so the console will indeed have a touch screen(6 in?) on the controller and be able to stream games directly to the controller from the console. Or so says the rumor guys.

Yeah, lots of rumors. I've heard similar. Hopefully whatever their new "gimmick" (the last two have been pretty ground-breaking) will be a good one. I'm excited.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #287
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
OK, this fucking playstation network outage is making me furious. I don't want to play online, but I just want to be able to update my rosters in NBA2k11. I got the game on thursday, and want to start a career, however I can't get the updated shit cause ass clowns decided to hack the network.

What I've read recently is that it isn't any sort of DDoS attack but someone made a custom firmware that lets people get things from PSN for free so Sony has taken the network down.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #288
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

I hope that it will be more powerful than 6 and 7 year old consoles.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-25-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #289
MJ4H
Coordinator

Not to be pedantic, but 4.5 and 5.5 year old consoles.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #290
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Not to be pedantic, but 4.5 and 5.5 year old consoles.

I was going off of how old they'll be when Nintendo's new console launches.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #291
MJ4H
Coordinator

k
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #292
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So more raving about Portal 2. I quite literally can not remember the last time a game had so many jaw dropping scenes. The effects they pull off with this game are just beautiful. I'm sure there are other games that win when it comes to brute tech, but they run half the speed and still look half as good.

Oh and the soundtrack kicks ass. Anyone familiar with who Valve uses to do their soundtracks? Similar to the Half-Life 2 soundtrack, but better.

And the puzzles, they are good to. I finish some them, look back and ask myself how I figured that out relatively painlessly. Great balance.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-25-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #293
SackAttack
Head Coach

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide

Change your passwords, PSN folk. Possibly also credit card numbers, if you've used your credit card on PSN.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #294
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So Sony's known for almost a week that all that information was potentially taken and said nothing. No one had any reason to change their passwords.

Hey Sony. Go Fuck yourself.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #295
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So you can actually login right now to PSN and try to change that info? Fat lot of good that does NOW.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #296
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
How do I do that? Login via web? Or do I have to do it via my PS3?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #297
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Sony's known for almost a week that all that information was potentially taken and said nothing. No one had any reason to change their passwords.

Hey Sony. Go Fuck yourself.

Nice work MBBF!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #298
Izulde
Head Coach

...Just great.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Sony's known for almost a week that all that information was potentially taken and said nothing.

You get what you pay for folks.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #300
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't even own a PS3 and it annoys me on general principle.