Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Bowflex Dumbbells

Does anyone have these things? If so, two questions...

1. Is a bench a must? We have a balance ball and I wonder if would work pretty well in place of a bench.

2. Is the smaller version (up to 52.5 pounds with each dumbbell) enough for most people?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

1.) I would be wary of using a balance ball in place of a bench. I can picture myself hurting my lower back awfully easy in an attempt to get up the last rep of a grueling set of incline flys.

2.) Well...how strong are you? Do you intend on using these dumbbells to work chest muscles, or do lunges/squats? If you can bench press your weight, and you intend on benching these, then that's probably too little. If you're not big into working chest (at least power lifting to build mass) then you'll be fine.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I have them. They are dumbells, some routines need a bench some don't. Can't imagine using a ball.

2. No it's not for me. Never lifted weights in my life until I bought these a couple years back, but I'm a big guy(6' 3" and wide framed) and I very quickly outgrew them. Kind of wishing I got the Powerblocks which go 90+. But you mention they are the smaller version, didn't realize they had larger ones.

They are very easy to use, but the fact they only go to 52.5 made them a very short term solution for me.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I have them. They are dumbells, some routines need a bench some don't. Can't imagine using a ball.

2. No it's not for me. Never lifeted weigts in my life until I bought these a couple years back, but I'm a big guy(6' 3" and wide framed) and I very quickly outgrew them. Kind of wishing I got the Powerblocks which go 90+. But you mention they are the smaller version, didn't realize they had larger ones.

They are very easy to use, but the fact they only go to 52.5 made them a very short term solution for me.

They have a set that goes up to 90 pounds now. It's fairly expensive though so at that point, iI would think about just getting one of the machines if it wasn't for space.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

If I was doing it again I'd get the 90s without a doubt. I may still at some point. As it is right now I'm paying about $1.50 per lb on heavier pairs.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

If you're going to spend the money on a nice set of adjustable dumbbells, I'd avoid the Bowflex. The reviews are typically real shitty for them and they give people a lot of problems down the road. Read through the reviews on sites like Bodybuilding.com and such. Better options would be:

PowerBlocks (PowerBlock - World's Best Dumbbell) - I have these and love them. Extremely easy to switch weights and durable. Gets great reviews.

IronMaster (http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Quic...bells-c-1.html) - Believe these are a little more pricey but get great reviews as well. I didn't go with these because they are a little more difficult to change weights. I prefer fast workouts so I didn't want to deal with it.

I'd also add that you don't need a bench, but I'd recommend investing in one. In the interim though, you can do a lot of stuff like presses off the ground flat on your back.

You can also find a lot of these items on Craigslist for real cheap. And a used set of dumbbells or bench isn't a big deal. I mean weighted steel is weighted steel. Who cares if it has some knicks on it. If you buy the 45 pound set in the Powerblocks, make sure it's the ones that can be expanded down the road to 90. Basically you'll just buy an expansion pack when you need it that will take you up to 90 pounds.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
rowech
Pro Starter

Funny...I've heard nothing but horrible stories about the PowerBlocks and nothing but good stories about the Bowflex ones.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Blackadar
Retired

The original 2008 Bowflex 552s had plastic pins that could break, causing major issues. The 2009 version had metal pins that can't break and have received excellent reviews. Including mine, because I own a set of 552s and I love 'em. They're great, it's simple and quick to change weight and 52.5 pounds is enough for most exercises.

I tested a number of these types of "select-a-weight" dumbbells before picking the 552s. They fit my hands perfectly, the grips are comfortable and they're easy to maintain. I found the Powerblocks a bit awkward and some of the other ones tended to shake too much. Ultimately, I just liked the way the 552s worked, felt and looked. And since I have to exercise in my living room, they've saved a ton of space.

You don't need a bench with the 552s. For most exercises a decent chair or just the floor will suit you just fine. Ultimately, you're not lifting all that much. If you're moving up to the 90 pound versions, then I'd suggest a bench. But then I'd also suggest a barbell set rather than dumbbells anyway because it likely means you want big weight and that calls for a barbell.

Finally, don't let the weight fool you. If someone is looking to do 400 pound squats, then these aren't right for them. But for most people 52.5 pounds is more than enough - especially if you use correct form. I know guys who claim to be able to curl 70 in each hand, but once you make them stop swinging the weight and isolate the muscle they can't do 50 pounds. And if you work the muscles correctly, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you can "really" lift in a gym. As I found out over Christmas on a bench press at the Y in Florida...
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Maybe Bowflex has gotten better. I remember researching them awhile back and I just remember everyone saying they were cheap and had problems. This was on a lot of the weight lifting/fitness forums. Regardless, you really just need heavy things to hold in your hands, so if Bowflex can do that, then get them.

I'd still recommend going 90 pounds. You definitely won't get up there on things like curls, but you'll need over 45 at some point for compound lifts for your chest and back. Likely shoulders and legs too if you choose to do them at home. If you're getting into lifting, the goal is progression. So you have to factor in that you'll be moving up every month the amount you are lifting. So either one that goes up to 90 pounds right now or one that can be expanded down the road is ideal. I didn't use the heavier ones at first but after about 3 months I needed it.

A barbell is nice too but you can still work every muscle with a nice set of dumbbells. It's a great investment. I do barbell stuff at the gym simply because I don't have the room for a bar setup at my place and typically like having a spotter handy for those.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

One other thing, if you do invest in a bench, get one that can incline. Lot of good lifts that require it. I purchased this on Amazon and have been really happy with it.

Amazon.com: Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Bench Series 3.1: Sports & Outdoors
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
AFShadow
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Does anyone have these things? If so, two questions...

1. Is a bench a must? We have a balance ball and I wonder if would work pretty well in place of a bench.

2. Is the smaller version (up to 52.5 pounds with each dumbbell) enough for most people?

I still would recommend you save the money and go to a local gym where you will have more equipment, cardio machines, group fitness classes. I have never been one to work out at home and always prefer the gym mostly to be able to use squat racks and lift heavier as needed. I know you mentioned you are looking to drop the weight and I would throw out that the Les Mills type body pump/ body combat classes are a great way to drop the weight fast along with eating right. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.
AFShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFShadow View Post
I still would recommend you save the money and go to a local gym where you will have more equipment, cardio machines, group fitness classes. I have never been one to work out at home and always prefer the gym mostly to be able to use squat racks and lift heavier as needed. I know you mentioned you are looking to drop the weight and I would throw out that the Les Mills type body pump/ body combat classes are a great way to drop the weight fast along with eating right. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

We belong to a gym. Get a great rate through where I work. Ultimately though, I hate going there because I find it embarassing to have to workout in front of people.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
AFShadow
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
We belong to a gym. Get a great rate through where I work. Ultimately though, I hate going there because I find it embarassing to have to workout in front of people.

Make senses and is ultimately up to you but I would only add no reason to be embarassed. Just the fact you are there in the gym means alot to regular gym fitness people since you are showing that you are making a commitment to your health. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Danny
Head Coach

I bought the Ironmasters adjustable dumbells and superbench over two months ago and love them. I much prefer them over the powerblocks which my dad has owned for 15+ years and I used when I lived with him. They are pricey (everything I ordered cost me about $1100, but go up to large amounts of weight, (my current set goes up to 120 per dumbell, but you can get another upgrade to 170 per which I will end up needing as I've maxed out on a couple exercises).

I would strongly advise against the bowflex, either powerblock or ironmasters are much better (depends on preference, powerblocks change quicker, but ironmasters have a much more natural feel) and can upgrade in weight amount.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

On the other part, do not use a balance ball in place of a bench unless you are working with ridiculously light weights. You need solid support when doing a bench press,
Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I say do what you know you will stick to. I hate going to gyms, I hate working out with other people around, on machines other people use, I hate driving there, I hate driving back after working out. Last time I belonged to a gym I went once in 8 months, since ordering my ironmaster home gym 10 weeks ago, I've been sticking almost perfectly to a 5 day a week lifting routine and have made incredible gains as I can do just about everything (I also started playing floorball 4 hours a week for cardio which has helped a lot)
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
AFShadow
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I say do what you know you will stick to. I hate going to gyms, I hate working out with other people around, on machines other people use, I hate driving there, I hate driving back after working out. Last time I belonged to a gym I went once in 8 months, since ordering my ironmaster home gym 10 weeks ago, I've been sticking almost perfectly to a 5 day a week lifting routine and have made incredible gains as I can do just about everything (I also started playing floorball 4 hours a week for cardio which has helped a lot)

Yes to each there own. I thin k the studies I have seen that generally people are much more ;likely to stick with a new fitness program if they have to incur some sort of inconvenience such as traveling to the gym and all the other things you netioned. I always say to my students in my classes and training sessions that if you made the effort to get here you might as well give you all.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes to each there own. I thin k the studies I have seen that generally people are much more ;likely to stick with a new fitness program if they have to incur some sort of inconvenience such as traveling to the gym and all the other things you netioned. I always say to my students in my classes and training sessions that if you made the effort to get here you might as well give you all.

Yeah, I think you are right in general. Most people I know are this way.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just bought myself some 552s. I've been researching for a few months now (including this thread) and actually went to the store intending to buy PowerBlocks. Ultimately, I decided the PBs were a bit too awkward for my tastes. It also seems like it's easier to switch weights in the 552s, especially when I have them on the floor. Very pleased with my purchase so far.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hope you got em for $240 or less: Bowflex has Bowflex Selecttech 552 Dumbbells for $239.40 after applying code DAY5A. Shipping is free.
Bowflex® SelectTech® 552 Dumbbells
Courtesy slickdeals.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Hope you got em for $240 or less: Bowflex has Bowflex Selecttech 552 Dumbbells for $239.40 after applying code DAY5A. Shipping is free.
Courtesy slickdeals.
Do you know if they have a deal on the 1090's? My brother is looking into a set but doesn't want to shell out the money for Powerblocks or Ironmasters.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Courtesy slickdeals.

I didn't...but I'll get over it.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
moriarty
College Starter

I have the powerblocks and like them, but aesthetically I could see where they might turn some folks off (they're blocky, compared to regular dumbells).

I have no problems switching the weights (there's like a little magnet that connects to pick up different weight amounts). If you put them down on carpet though you have to press down when changing weights b/c the little weight segments may not sit perfectly flat.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Do you know if they have a deal on the 1090's? My brother is looking into a set but doesn't want to shell out the money for Powerblocks or Ironmasters.

Same promo code took them down to $359.40 before tax. Free shipping. Unfortunately it expired yesterday. Sorry.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
Danny
Head Coach

Several months later, I want to reiterate how much I love the ironmasters. Been using them regularly for the past 6 months or so now (except last week and a half since I hurt my ankle).