Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Seriously?!?

I usually try to ignore the filler crap that are disguised as "stories" online. Things that show up on Yahoo or Comcast as stories and once you begin reading you see the same old stuff. Top 10 this, 8 reasons for that, etc...

One caught my eye today.

Top 6 Money Habits Which Could Land You In Jail....

The lead in paragraph mentions that these habits could land you in jail. Key word here is goiing to be habits.

The first "habit" that could land you in jail is.... Signing someone else's signature on a check.... WOW!!! Really? It's illegal if I take someone else' checks and try to cash them using a forgery? Glad I read this little tip.

Now that I am already afraid that my other habits could lead to serious jail time I read the next habit that could land me in jail. Using someone else' identity to obtain credit... Holy sh**!!! Identity theft is illegal? Da**, there goes my plans for the weekend.

Almost afraid to read on and I find out that lying on a home loan application is illegal. What if I am lying about being someone else and signing their signature? I am screwed.

Up next? Knowingly writing bad checks. Knowingly can actually be dropped from the sentence in many locations but hopefully common sense can apply to a situation.

Can it get much more surprising? Yes!!! Using a copier to copy money and trying to pass it off as real is illegal too. This article is really ruining my plans for the next month now. I just bought a brand new lasere copier just for this.

Just when I can take no more I read that writing on money is illegal. Seriously? Suddenly I hear the one of these things is not like the other song from Sesame Street in my head. I know that I have heard this before.

How does 1 through 5 get to be considered a habit? Are there people that honestly didn't know that identity theft, forgery and counterfeiting was illegal?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Consider the source. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to accept that any of that is illegal. I mean I just stopped off at the library and copied enough ones to pay for McDonalds tonight. Come on. No one is stupid enough to believe this crap is really illegal.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
DanGarion
Coordinator

That is just a shit article that someone made some cash off of to write, and they hope to make money on advertising. What crap.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I read that article recently too. I figure that being "six habits", I must have at least done one of them once. Nope.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

It's just like the crappy Yahoo food articles: "The worst cheeseburger" or "The worst finger foods" or "Worst Fast Food items". And all every article does is compare calories to some other item that has less calories. Really??? The worst??? Maybe if that's all you eat, every single day of your life, but, not if you have it now and then.

Ah here's an example: 7 Worst Summer Drinks

These articles make my head hurt. I try to avoid them, but, the titles always stick out like a sore thumb.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Autumn
Head Coach

serious deja vu
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

No I am not surprised....People are stupid
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Yahoo has gone to a contributor model to generate some content. They are generally horribly written and without substance.

By contrast, I like the Eat This/Not That guy's column.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Yahoo mostly has shit articles by people that think they are giving out some wise advice like Yoda. They had one article a few weeks ago talking about how a family saved $15K.. they had such advice such as 'Paint your own house, serve hamburgers instead of steak at family get togethers and limit yourself to one vacation a year.

Gee.. thanks.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
serious deja vu

Didn't we have a thread about this at one point?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Yahoo has gone to a contributor model to generate some content. They are generally horribly written and without substance.

Due to the amount of times I click on articles I think my yahoo page defaults to sports stories. Anyways I started noticing that the really awful ones were almost always written by a guy named Chris Chase. Apparently I am not alone as most of his posts have a comments section that is just full of relentless attacks on how bad of a writer he is. His articles have become must reads just for the comments section alone. (and believe me I usually avoid the comments section like the plague)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Didn't we have a thread about this at one point?

I feel like we had this exact same thread, word for word.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I feel like we had this exact same thread, word for word.

Sorry, didn't know we had the same thing already.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
Autumn
Head Coach

I can't say we necessarily did, maybe I'm just having deja vu. But when I read the first post I thought it was some sort of joke, once I assured myself the date was fresh. I feel like I read this exact thing before. Remember that when you read a story about my psychotic break.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

Unfortunately, with the role search engines play, just putting out any sort of content is big these days. Companies are going for quantity over quality unfortunately.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

I'm not a violent person by nature, but when I see that guy's picture, I feel like punching him in the throat, kneeing him in the balls, and then suplexing him onto a table of Little Ceasars Hot n Ready pizzas.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Good thing you're not violent by nature or it could have been really bad...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

#6 isn't entirely accurate (surprising, I know!):

"Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. "

U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing - Historical Legislation

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Awesome. So Yahoo is recycling the same shit stories like once a year.