Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Running with a cast?

I have one of my arms in a fiberglass cast for a bit, and they told me not to get it went on the inside... I asked if I could still jog and they said yes.

I've never had a cast before and didn't realize this question at the time, but wouldn't running get the cast wet on the inside? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

My only experience in a cast was over 20 years ago (broken wrist) and unless they've figured out a way to wick sweat/moisture away from your arm then I'd suggest to take some time off from jogging. The first few times the inner lining should absorb any moisture but after that the lining will start to get itchy as hell and you'll be reaching for anything and everything to try and get that itch scratched.

Like I said, that was over 20 years ago, and I'm assuming the cast business has advanced but how far, I don't know.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What you're thinking/asking makes sense to me. I'd figure you almost have to lay off for a while.

FWIW, while it isn't an answer, a quick Google proves that you aren't alone in wondering about this.
Can I exercise (go jogging etc) with a broken arm? « Top Fitness Tips
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

Get a waterproof cast. You have to get those wet.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I have one of my arms in a fiberglass cast for a bit, and they told me not to get it went on the inside... I asked if I could still jog and they said yes.

I've never had a cast before and didn't realize this question at the time, but wouldn't running get the cast wet on the inside? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Which arm?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well assuming it's too late to get a waterproof cast, the answer is in short yes. They don't want prolonged water exposure because that can cause stuff to grow but I assure you, come to the mid-Atlantic region in the summer time and have a cast from your toes to your knee and do your best not to sweat when crutching around.

Actually when I broke my hand, I still went to the gym daily with a regular ol' cast. I wore that one for a month. Reeked when it came off, but it would reek regardless. And I actually doused my leg not once but twice while taking baths when I had my leg casted up. Both times they just said to let it dry and move on. Edit: Hmm, now I'm thinking on it, I think I actually ran daily with my regular ol' cast when I broke my hand. It's when I sprained my thumb (badly) that I went to the gym daily with it. No harm done either way, so long as you can take the pain of the increased blood flow through the area...

However, I strongly advise spilling whipping cream down your cast. I did this on Thanksgiving two years ago while trying to balance a measuring cup on my fingers to measure out some whipping cream to make whipped cream for the cheesecake. Missed the glass, got it down my cast (which left my fingers exposed but tied up my thumb and wrist). Yeah, next day I had to call the doc's office and they had me come in to get it replaced. It smelled SOOOOO foul.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 08-10-2011 at 08:34 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Healthcare here is free, just run until something bugs you and then get it replaced. Rinse and repeat. Well, maybe skip the rinsing.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote