Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Dead Island - The not so official 1st impressions thread

It's not so official because I don't have it but was looking for feedback from anyone that may have picked it up as it should be out today if I recall correctly.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ars Technica says it need a bit more work:

Dead Island offers flashes of fun in unfinished, buggy PC release
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I read on RPS that there is supposed to be a patch with a number of significant bug fixes out later today.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Apparently, they actually uploaded the wrong version of the game.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll be watching this thread closely. My son is very excited about the potential, my gut keeps saying this is going to be a disappointment in terms of game play. Early reviews (of the 360 version) will carry a lot of weight on our buy/don't buy decision.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
frnk55
High School Varsity

From what I've read on Steam and Gamespot it's a buggy mess. Looks really cool so I think I'll be waiting a bit on it.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Apparently, they actually uploaded the wrong version of the game.
That sounds like "we uploaded a really buggy game and are rushing to patch it".
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
From what I've read on Steam and Gamespot it's a buggy mess. Looks really cool so I think I'll be waiting a bit on it.

I plan to wait for a sale with this one, especially with Space Marine out today and what's coming out over the next few months.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That sounds like "we uploaded a really buggy game and are rushing to patch it".

I read it was developers build in debugging mode with things like noclip enabled.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I know there was a Release Day "snafu", but the fact that there are no "official" first impression threads doesn't bode well for this title. I wonder how much business a company loses when problems like that happen...?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I know there was a Release Day "snafu", but the fact that there are no "official" first impression threads doesn't bode well for this title. I wonder how much business a company loses when problems like that happen...?

From everything I have read elsewhere it at least sounds fun, so I hope it does well. I think a lot of people might have been hesitant because of the trailer that got it all the attention didn't really show much of anything, and then the few prerelease reviews I saw were,positive but seemed like they could have been just positive enough to break a prerelease review embargo. Another problem is has is when its being released, it's sandwiched by Deus Ex, Space Marine and Red Orchestra 2 with several other big releases coming in the next two months. All of that has me probably waiting until it is on sale for about $25.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Impressions: 15 Hours With Dead Island | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 09-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
A few days later, and with the patch apparently correcting some (most?) of the problems, the numbers of players on Steam are interesting:

Current.... Peak
28,300.... 35,906.... Dead Island
16,366.... 21,183.... Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Obviously a small and very specific (Steam only) sample size, but Dead Island seems to have recovered.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son couldn't hold back any longer, picked up the game yesterday afternoon.

I spent about 3 hours with it late last night, my usual slow play style. It isn't terrible overall but it's got a lot of annoying quirks & quite a few graphic issues. The game is certainly pretty enough but having zeds treat a pool float like an insurmountable wall is a buzz kill when they've been trying to kill you. Some of the mechanics are annoying as hell (trying to open a suitcase to collect the $8 or $9 inside is a precision exercise akin to trying to get something out of a Fallout 3 toilet without drinking the water by accident).

The world, so far at least, certainly feels open enough (except for all the bungalow doors that you can't open or even attempt) but more than any of the obvious game comparisons that could be made, I find myself thinking that DI reminds me of Homefront. It's not terrible by any means & there seems to be some potential here but there's enough that off that it's more like a $30 game than a $60 game. It's the kind of game where you hope there's a sequel because by then they might be able to squash all the bugs ... but there are enough bugs that you aren't completely sure a sequel is going to happen.