Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #2551
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Also, Chandler vs Alvarez on Bellator tonight was fucking insane as well. I didn't think it had a shot to be topped, and yet it was.

+1

Awesome move by Bellator!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #2553
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Shogun has always had a hell of a chin, but after watching this fight a few more times it just doesn't make sense to me after just getting rocked so hard so many times on the jaw those first 3 rounds that he was able to not only keep going like it was no sweat. But also be so alert that he was the hunter at that point. Sure Hendo gassed himself, and granted he took the decision, but I think I came away more impressed with Shogun afterwords.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #2554
DeToxRox
Head Coach

UFC 138's Chris Leben suspended one year following failed drug test (painkillers)
by Dann Stupp on Nov 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm ET
The UFC has suspended Chris Leben for one year due to a failed drug test.

The veteran middleweight tested positive for the prescription painkillers oxycodone and oxymorphone following his UFC 138 main-event loss to Mark Munuz earlier this month.

UFC officials, who oversaw regulation for the overseas event, today announced the suspension.

UFC 138 took place Nov. 5 at LG Arena in Birmingham, England. Munoz vs. Leben was part of a main card that aired via same-day delay on Spike TV. Munoz earned a second-round TKO victory when Leben's corner deemed him unable to continue for the third round.

This is Leben's second suspension following a failed drug test, and it's the second time the UFC was forced to hand down the punishment. Leben also tested positive for the banned steroid Stanozolol following a 2008 loss to Michael Bisping at UFC 89. Like UFC 138, UFC 89 took place in the U.K., where there is no official sanctioning/regulatory body. In such situations, the UFC brings in an outside company to conduct drug testing.

"I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts," Leben stated. "I'm learning that I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. I can't succeed in the octagon or in life behaving this way. I've got to make some real changes over the next year, and I'm going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I'm sorry to the UFC and fans that've supported me since my days on 'The Ultimate Fighter.'"

Despite two failed tests, UFC president Dana White made no mention of cutting the fighter from the UFC's roster.

"I like Chris, and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year," White stated. "If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the octagon but in his personal life."

Leben (22-8 MMA, 12-7 UFC) first joined the UFC in 2005. He was on a stellar 4-1 run before the recent loss to Munoz (12-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), who is expected to fight in a No. 1 contender's bout in his next outing.

All other 19 fighters on the UFC 138 card passed their drug tests, according to the UFC.

For the latest on UFC 138, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #2555
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Looks like he should stay off everything. He keeps losing when he takes stuff.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #2557
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Watching this random XFC card somewhat closely and I must say I'm intrigued by the "Superheavyweight" fight later that features a combined weight of 604 lbs.

They interviewed Brandon Sayles on Bubba the Love Sponge today, no nonsense guy, supposedly amazingly strong. The guy he is fighting is a K! fighter with solid kickboxing skills, could be an interesting fight.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #2558
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sayles is still a little rough around the edges, but looks to have some potential, moves pretty well for a guy that size and took Lee down with ease when he decided to shoot.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #2561
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Amazing night of fights going on Spike. Diego and Bermudez had a war. Diego had one of the greatest armbars I've ever seen.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #2562
Flasch186
Coordinator

watching this on delay but just saw wikipedia for Miller shows his record's been updatd with this...

Quote:
Win 25–7 Michael Bisping Knockout (Dick slap) TUF 14 Finale December 3, 2011 5 4:59 Las Vegas, Nevada

His knockout move will certainly be impressive when I get there on DVR, I suppose.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 12-03-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #2563
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
watching this on delay but just saw wikipedia for Miller shows his record's been updatd with this...

His knockout move will certainly be impressive when I get there on DVR, I suppose.

Damnit...(goes to fix and sees it's already been fixed)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #2564
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sonnen made mention his next fight would be against tonight's winner, though he never explicitly said it. If that is the case, I cannot wait to hear Sonnen and Bisping go at one another. Sonnen would absolutely run through Bisping though because there is no way Bisping would KO Sonnen and Sonnen would take him down and pound him out.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #2565
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Amazing night of fights going on Spike. Diego and Bermudez had a war. Diego had one of the greatest armbars I've ever seen.

That armbar was insane.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #2566
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sonnen made mention his next fight would be against tonight's winner, though he never explicitly said it. If that is the case, I cannot wait to hear Sonnen and Bisping go at one another. Sonnen would absolutely run through Bisping though because there is no way Bisping would KO Sonnen and Sonnen would take him down and pound him out.

Nope. Sonnen vs. Munoz on UFC on Fox 2.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #2567
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yep. Pretty sure its Bisping vs Tim Kennedy also on Fox 2.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #2568
DeToxRox
Head Coach

GSP blew out his ACL, so it's Diaz vs Condit for the Interim title now. Such an amazing fight.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #2569
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
bump
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #2570
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Welp, that's probably it for Nog's career.. that looked stomach-churningly NASTY, Nog is out for a hile while they stitch every part of his arm back together.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #2571
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And Bones Jones seals the best year ever for a UFC fighter by dropping Macheda, first with punches, and then a standing guillotine.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #2572
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just got back from B-dubbs, and although I couldn't hear much of anything, I did see a few of the prelims and the all main fights.

There were some great finishes tonight, and I was glad that the fights were really decisive. It's nice to not have to sit here and bitch about Yves Lavigne.

Mir's kimura was the nastiest thing I've seen since Aoki broke Hirota's arm a couple of years ago. I hate to see it go that far, but credit goes to the man who refuses to quit.

The same could be said about Machida. He looked really good, but I kept wondering when Jones was going to change the location of the fight. Clearly as soon as he did the fight completely changed. When Bones let go of him, it was sick how he just crumpled to the ground.

I didn't know before today that Dennis Hallman had twice previously, submitted Matt Hughes. He still looked good in there tonight despite having missed weight.

Just now heard about Miguel Torres getting the axe from the UFC. I didn't see exactly what he said that got him cut, but that sucks. He hadn't looked great lately, but that's not the way his UFC/WEC career should end.

Tito got his ass kicked, but I'd still like to see him finish his one last fight. He will probably lose again, but maybe a going away fight with Couture (if he hadn't already retired) would be nice.

I was really disappointed with Mark Hominick. He is one tough SOB, and just came in reckless and then got KTFO. It looked a little fast, but on the replay Herb got it right again. Herb rarely misses that stuff.

Tonight was a really good card, and had some really good finishes, reminiscent of older days of the UFC, before there was a lot of defense and all the decision that we have now. I'm really looking forward to Lesnar/Overeem, it just sucks that they didn't beef up that card more. That card, and the Super Bowl card should be some of the biggest of the year. The Cowboy, Fitch and the Janitor is no way to beef up a card at the end of the year.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-10-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #2573
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Welp, that's probably it for Nog's career.. that looked stomach-churningly NASTY, Nog is out for a hile while they stitch every part of his arm back together.

Yeah...I fully saw it happen in real time, and needed to turn away while they showed the endless replays.

He missed his window to force a stoppage on Mir, then got a little too over-zealous in the follow-up which left him exposed. Pretty remarkable that Mir was able to recover IMHO.

Thought it was a solid card overall, one of the best i've seen in a while.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #2574
bhlloy
Coordinator

That was an A+ card, some great fights on the fillers.

I can't get over how tough Big Nog is, even when Mir clearly had his arm he had to break it to end the fight. A lot of respect for both fighters, Mir for keeping his legs under him when he took some huge shots and Nog for being the toughest SOB I think I might have ever seen.

Jones is too damn good, he took the best that Machida could throw at him and adjusted, like he has throughout his career. I would love to see Silva vs Jones, I think after tonight my money might be on Bones. I'm not sure how he's beatable, he has a complete game and insane athleticism to match.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #2575
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't need to tell you what that is.

Here's the before:

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #2576
booradley
High School Varsity

Jones really does look invincible. He's fought all the best in his weight class (which is LOADED) and had absolutely no problem.

The way Mir kept that kimura locked - even rolling over to maintain it as Nog scrambled - was THE moment of a good night. Too bad Nog had to let it go to a gruesome conclusion - tap out and live to fight another day, man!

Homenick getting dropped pretty much right after the opening "bell" provided the comedy of the evening. Now, I HAD been drinking, mind ...

Good card, as it always is when Tito gets his a$$ beat. And boy, did he ... YES!!!
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #2577
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Homenick getting dropped pretty much right after the opening "bell" provided the comedy of the evening.

I thought Hallman provided the best comedy.

"Thank you Jesuth. Please come quickly because we're barely holding on."

AWKWARD
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #2578
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I thought Hallman provided the best comedy.

"Thank you Jesuth. Please come quickly because we're barely holding on."

AWKWARD

OH YEAH! That was a quality moment.
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #2579
PilotMan
Head Coach

Shocked that Showtime got a deal done with Strikeforce. Challengers goes away, the heavyweight division gets eliminated. Cormier wins and probably moves to the UFC, Barnett might make it there anyway. No idea where someone like Lawal ends up. Melendez is told to defend the title and Dana will make it worth his while in the UFC, while they look to fill the other titles. Light heavyweight and Welterweight are both vacant.

Hard to sell Luke Rockhold v. a weight class debut for Keith Jardine for the Middleweight title though. Dana swears they have a great plan in place for it though.

Like Steam?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #2580
PilotMan
Head Coach

Strikeforce looks good so far tonight.
Spoiler

Like Steam?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #2581
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Strikeforce looks good so far tonight.
Spoiler

I would agree, especially after hearing that during training she powerbombed Tito Ortiz when he had her in a triangle choke! She didn't seem happy with Rhonda Rousey running her mouth after the fight, I would not want to piss Cyborg off if I was her.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-18-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #2582
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I would agree, especially after hearing that during training she powerbombed Tito Ortiz when he had her in a triangle choke! She didn't seem happy with Rhonda Rousey running her mouth after the fight, I would not want to piss Cyborg off if I was her.

There is youtube video of it. I wouldnt call it much of a powerbomb but it is still impressive because of the size difference. Another thing interesting in the video to me is how quick Tito shoots even when just rolling. Anyway she is a complete badass.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #2583
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
There is youtube video of it. I wouldnt call it much of a powerbomb but it is still impressive because of the size difference. Another thing interesting in the video to me is how quick Tito shoots even when just rolling. Anyway she is a complete badass.

Hadn't seen the video but just watched it. I definitely wasn't expecting a Rampage type powerbomb, but I agree, pretty damn impressive! Don't think there are many 145 pound men that could have gotten Tito up any higher at the weight he was here....

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-18-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #2584
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And Lesnar is done.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #2585
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
And Lesnar is done.

That's a shame, the health issues really left some unanswered questions I think.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #2586
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest Lesnar fanboy on here, and I won't deny it. I was ready for whatever happened in the cage tonight, and I wasn't overly optimistic about how I thought it would go down.. I am a fight fan, and as a very well educated fight fan, the holes (in Brock's MMA game) were there to see. It wasn't an unexpected result at all, neither was the retirement at the end. It's just a little bittersweet, like Jon said, that the disease really cut out a lot of what we could have seen in the cage.

In the end, he just isn't cut out to go toe to toe with the top strikers in the division. Guys who hit hard, and a guy, who even tonight, was getting ripped apart on the cage, and turning away into the cage (which he has done all along, and it isn't good) who just can't hang with them. I'll still be a fan, and I'll probably read his book too. I just wish it would have gone on a little bit longer, that's all.

Like Steam?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #2587
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sucked to see Diaz win over a guy who had one of the best years in MMA.

Sucked to see Fitch get KTFO in :12.

All in all, it was a pretty shitty night for the guys I was pulling for.

Like Steam?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #2588
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am not a big Diaz fan, but Nate was sharp tonight and Cerrone just never got into a groove. We were all kind of puzzled why he didn't at least try and work ground and pound on Diaz later in the fight after he swept him when it was apparent he was not going to win standing up. Thought it was at least worth a shot...

Fitch getting blasted is one of the upsets, if not the upset of the year, never would have predicted that.

Hettes has a very bright future, reminds me a bit of a young Uriah Faber.

Now Brock, not a big surprise as we all pretty much figured it would be suicide to for him to let Overeem find his range with the kicks. He was taken out by a world class K1 kickboxer and there is certainly no shame in that. PM hit it right on the head, what Brock did in his short time in the sport is truly amazing, he is a freak in every sense of the word. But his game completely lacked the necessary stand up components. I would take Lesner against any ground based fighter in MMA, but when he is forced to stand upright against a quality striker he is doomed. The timing and subtle aspects of good standup take years to perfect and Brock would have never caught up at his age. Again, what he did in a brief time was amazing, but the illness and lack of experience in boxing, muay thai, etc had the deck stacked against him. Glad he made the choice to retire and put his health first.

FWIW it sucks to take a full on shot to the liver like he did. If you get hit in that sweet spot you are paralyzed for a good 10-15 seconds. It is like getting hit in the nuts, except that your entire torso is your nut sack.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-31-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #2589
bhlloy
Coordinator

I thought Brock looked a million miles from the freak he was before the illness, he looked flabby and out of shape (probably understandably) and it was no surprise that he got finished so fast. A real shame, he could have been an absolute legend, probably a one of a kind athlete that we won't see again for a very long time.

A very meh card after last time, I thought Fitch might have trouble but never would have seen him getting KO'd like that. The Swedish kid looked pretty good on the undercard.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #2590
molson
General Manager

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #2591
BYU 14
Coordinator

Meh, I am more impressed with his girl

Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #2592
molson
General Manager

Well, he'll probably have time for both and more before he gets into full-time training again. It's good to be the Reem.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #2593
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Well, he'll probably have time for both and more before he gets into full-time training again. It's good to be the Reem.

He's going to Reem her.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #2594
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I think the following four paragraphs from Dave Meltzer pretty much sum up my feelings about Lesnar, particularly what could have been, not only if he had not developed diverticulitis but if he would have gone the MMA route right out of college back around 2000. Much like a GSP or Jon Jones, I think Lesnar has genetic athletic gifts that are freakish for a guy with his frame.

Quote:
Lesnar’s success was based on superior athletic ability, a combination of his power wrestling and amazing speed at that size. But speed often fades with age, and physically, he had beaten up his body for several years after college as a pro wrestler. Although wrestling is entertainment and not sport, it is, in the view of most who have done both, harder on the body than MMA because of the constant travel.

So even though Lesnar was world champion and became one of the biggest drawing cards in the history of the pay-per-view industry, his career, ending with a 5-3 record, always will be the subject of debate. Some will dismiss him as an overhyped freak show, the UFC’s answer to Kimbo Slice, as a man lucky to face an aging and undersized world heavyweight champion in Randy Couture and a Shane Carwin whose body shut down and was easy pickings.

Of course, that would ignore his total destruction of Frank Mir, who has proved time after time to be a top-level heavyweight. Others will point to how amazing it was that, after years away from competitive sports – his NCAA title was in 2000 and he started in UFC eight years later, at age 30 – that he was able to beat top guys in their own sport.

But the real story of Lesnar is a question of what could have been. What would have happened had MMA been a viable professional sport that would have offered a competitive pay scale to pro wrestling when he was 22 and his athletic ability was at his peak? Would he have been able to develop all the skills in the manner of someone like Velasquez? What would have happened if he had not developed diverticulitis because it was clear he never was the same after his near-fatal attack at the end of 2009?

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 01-02-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #2595
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oops

Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos banned 1 year for positive steroids test - ESPN
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #2596
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Is this more or less of a 'surprise' than if it were revealed that she is a dude?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #2597
BYU 14
Coordinator

No wonder she can pick up Tito Ortiz
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #2598
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't believe Dana when he says Strikeforce is going to be a premium MMA organization. I just can't buy Keith Jardine fighting for a title in his 185lb debut. Rockhold should win the fight, especially if the fight wears on.

Like Steam?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2599
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I don't believe Dana when he says Strikeforce is going to be a premium MMA organization. I just can't buy Keith Jardine fighting for a title in his 185lb debut. Rockhold should win the fight, especially if the fight wears on.

Agreed, he is usualy a straight shooter but I think he is full of shit on this statement. I expect to see more gutting after Barnett / Cormier and with Cyborg out now there is no big draw on the women's side for the next year.

I see Strikeforce being a minor league for UFC where young guys go to get experience and veterans that can't quite hack UFC anymore go as gatekeepers, Jardine being a perfect example. I have no issue with that either, as long as we still get entertaining fights.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #2600
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mark Munoz is hurt and can't fight Sonnen on the Fox card, so it'll be Sonnen vs Bisping instead.