Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #551
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Oh, and a bit of X-Factor news - Cheryl Cole, some chick from the UK I've never heard of, has already been dropped as a judge due to a heavy British accent and a lack of chemistry with Paula Abdul. Nicole Scherzinger, some chick from the US I've never heard of, is replacing her as co-host AND judge. Not a good start for Simon's show this soon.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #552
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Did you see his Tweet on it? "Why I am trending tonight? Did I die and no one told me?"

Ha! We all died a little on that last note he tried to hit that night.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #553
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, final ratings for Tuesday night saw AI gain 0.2 and DWTS gain 0.1 in 18-49's, meaning AI's last performance show was off less than the 7% indicated by the fast overnights (that were mentioned here).

Nothing unusual about the adjustment, it was expected for both shows (as the smaller markets are added to the totals).
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #554
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oh, and a bit of X-Factor news - Cheryl Cole, some chick from the UK I've never heard of, has already been dropped as a judge due to a heavy British accent and a lack of chemistry with Paula Abdul. Nicole Scherzinger, some chick from the US I've never heard of, is replacing her as co-host AND judge. Not a good start for Simon's show this soon.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard of Nicole. She was lead singer of one of those popular groups a while back but she also was one of the judges on the Sing off (on NBC) and was pretty bad at it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #555
Ksyrup

I have heard the name, but I have no idea who she is or what she's famous for.

Never watched the Sing Off.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #556
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have heard the name, but I have no idea who she is or what she's famous for.

Never watched the Sing Off.

Ahh, well she is attractive to look at, but her judging style is pretty much like Paula lite. Never has anything bad to say to any contestant and not even really much constructive. Seemed half the comments were build up comments, many that don't even apply to the singing. (Commenting on how good someone looked or whatever).

I don't know how it will play having both her and paula as judges, but seems like it is going to fall on Simon for every single constructive criticism for any act that we'll see.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #557
Ksyrup

The way the show works, though, is that each judge is also a mentor. It's kinda like a combo of AI and The Voice (or as Simon would say, The Voice is a rip-off of AI and X-Factor). That's why NBC rushed The Voice for this spring, to get a foot up on X-Factor and to try to make the mentor thing less of a novelty for the AI crowd.

Anyway, if you've got a couple of weak, pandering judges and Simon, it seems to me that Simon's people are likely to dominate the show, as he will be much harsher on other mentors' contestants and the other judges will sound like AI's judges this year by comparison.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #558
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm surprised that you haven't heard of Nicole. She was lead singer of one of those popular groups a while back but she also was one of the judges on the Sing off (on NBC) and was pretty bad at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Ahh, well she is attractive to look at, but her judging style is pretty much like Paula lite. Never has anything bad to say to any contestant and not even really much constructive. Seemed half the comments were build up comments, many that don't even apply to the singing. (Commenting on how good someone looked or whatever).

I don't know how it will play having both her and paula as judges, but seems like it is going to fall on Simon for every single constructive criticism for any act that we'll see.

Ugh. Her and Paula together will be A-W-F-U-L.

I was very excited about X-Factor, this is a serious blow for my interest.

She was SO bad on the Sing-Off, highlighted by how good Ben Folds and Shawn Stockman are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #559
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Once they announced Paula as a judge, my interest dropped. Now it is at zero.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #560
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

no Cheryl, no sale
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #561
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Agreed wade and Dawg. Why oh why did they put Paula on the show? She is a mess. She needs serious rehab and psychotherapy...

No credibility and a train wreck to watch (and a much too happy train wreck at that...). Now I probably WOULD tune in to "Paula Abdul's Rehab". That would be a megahit.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #562
Ksyrup

I think Simon's trying to have it both ways - position X-Factor as a new show, separate from AI, but offering viewers the "comfort" of the way AI was before all the judging changes the last 2 years. There will be, I'm sure, a bit of "I want the AI I used to love watching" in the TV audience for X-Factor. A nostalgia factor, I guess.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #563
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Happy Birthday Solecismic!

FOr your birthday, have a video....I think he is better than Scotty myself...

Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #564
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LMAO ... yep, everybody sure was mad at AI

Updated TV Ratings Wednesday: ‘American Idol’ Finale Up, Buries Competition; ABC’s Finales Down vs. Last Year - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Of course, Fox dominated the final night of the 2010-11 broadcast season with the two hour seaon finale of American Idol which scored a 9.2 adults 18-49 rating and 29.3 million viewers. ... That was up 12% for adults 18-49 and 21% for viewership compared to last year’s finale 8.2 adults 18-49 rating and 24.223 million average viewers. It was also the first time in five years that American Idol finale ratings topped the previous season’s.

Update: From 10:00-10:07 Eastern when the winner was announced, the show averaged 38.6 million viewers.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #565
Ksyrup

Well, I guess the lesson in this is: more country!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #566
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I like country. I guess I should have watched this season. In all honesty I didn't watch a single episode. Was there a lot of country this season? maybe I'll catch up if so. wait, I meant was there a lot of decent/good country? I don't wanna watch if its all crap.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-27-2011 at 07:57 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #567
MJ4H
Coordinator

it was all crap
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #568
Ksyrup

It was crap.

You had two kids - a guy with a deep voice and a knack for copying his favorite country singers and absurd/goofy facial expressions, and a girl with a good voice but the confidence of an 8-year old.

Neither were, or are, ready for primetime, IMO. And that's completely ignoring their chosen genre. But yeah, there was a lot of country this season.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #569
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
it was all crap

Same as virtually every other season to date
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #570
GrantDawg

Country had very little to do with the finale night. U2, Beyonce, Jack Black, Lady Gaga etc. It was actually a fun episode. I fast forwarded through the final 13 group stuff, but most of the rest was pretty good. Even Steven Tyler's performance was cool. You can't really judge the last night viewership by the finalist (I think the previous night's was the tell on that).

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-27-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
You can't really judge the last night viewership by the finalist (I think the previous night's was the tell on that).

People were willing to watch to see who won, and that's the bottom line. Despite all the whining about wannabe X,Y, or Z that was cut, despite all the country haterade, despite the virtual disappearance of any actual judging, at the end of the day the results show went up instead of down for the first time in five years. Hard to kick dirt on that performance no matter how you slice it.

The previous night scuffled (down give or take 4% in the final numbers) seemingly because they lost males to the Bulls-Heat, which isn't a combo that's going to happen every year.

Cable will continue to erode the broadcast numbers, the show will continue to slowly slide to eventual death, but it certainly looks more like it'll die of old age rather than the dire complaints that were so popular during this season.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #572
Ksyrup

I agree with that. As an avid watcher of the show, this year was pretty typical, I thought. It's not like I've really ever followed a single one of these people after the show, and by early April, I'm ready for it to end. So I'm not the typical AI watcher. I still marvel at all the people who buy into the legitimacy of these contestants as artists simply because of the forum they are given to seek publicity and be pumped up for no discernable reason. And that, when it boils down to it, is the primary reason I watch. This show is like a petri dish for puppeteering played out on TV every 6 months.

They likely won't make many changes, at least not without eating a ton of money. I believe Tyler and Dawg have multi-year contracts. JLo doesn't, and is in talks to produce her own Latin-flavored singing/dancing competition, so she may bolt. But what woman are they going to bring in who could serve the dual role of female and heartless bitch/straight-talker that the judges panel desperately needs?

As far as entertainment goes, the judges' comments were the main part of the live show I looked forward to and enjoyed. And now that's gone, so there is literally nothing else but music I wouldn't listen to sung by mediocre personalities I wouldn't follow. So it would be unfortunate if they didn't at least attempt to fix the problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #573
MJ4H
Coordinator

This was the first finale I didn't watch and had no interest in watching.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #574
Ksyrup

Well, we watched it, but that's being pretty generous to say we "watched it." We started watching at 9pm and by 9:20, had caught up to the live show. And then we spent the majority of the next 45 minutes on Weather Channel, flipping back and forth to see if there was anything interesting going on.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #575
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But what woman are they going to bring in who could serve the dual role of female and heartless bitch/straight-talker that the judges panel desperately needs?

What's Sharon Osbourne doing these days?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #576
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

America's Got Talent, mang.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #577
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
This was the first finale I didn't watch and had no interest in watching.

+1000

My DVR even shut itself off for 2 days to avoid having to record it.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #578
Ksyrup

Quote:
In an interview with K Frog Live at the CMA Festival today, Scotty McCreery reveals to the DJs that he’s already recorded 5 songs for his debut album on Thursday. He probably won’t do any co-writing on the first album, but will “work his tail off” on the first, hoping it keeps him around for a second.

Least surprising news ever.

"OK - what do you think of this? Baby turn the deadbolt and pull the shades down slow?"
Old 06-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #579
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think its great that even after the season is over you continue to hate on him.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #580
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I find it interesting the winner has already assumed he could get axed after one album. I also next to never expect them to even co-write songs. If they had any sort of songwriting ability, they most likely wouldn't be needing to use a show singing other people's songs.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #581
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I find it interesting the winner has already assumed he could get axed after one album. I also next to never expect them to even co-write songs. If they had any sort of songwriting ability, they most likely wouldn't be needing to use a show singing other people's songs.

Eh, any AI winner who doesn't recognize that possibility would have to be an idiot I'd think.

Also, off hand I imagine you'd find over half the current country top 40 being written by someone other than the performer, even co-writing credits are often iffy. Nothing new at all about that, I suspect that country might have the highest percentage of it of any genre.

Probably something that was more top of mind for me than it would have been normally, after noting that Jason Aldean (who does write) closed out the CMT Awards this weeks with a pair of songs written (and originally recorded) by Brantley Gilbert (who is from just up the road from me, in Jefferson, GA). That's apparently been a bit controversial for Gilbert's considerably smaller fan base but frankly nobody who likes Aldean gives a rat's ass, songwriting or the lack thereof really has no stigma with the country audience at all.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #582
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh, any AI winner who doesn't recognize that possibility would have to be an idiot I'd think.

Also, off hand I imagine you'd find over half the current country top 40 being written by someone other than the performer, even co-writing credits are often iffy. Nothing new at all about that, I suspect that country might have the highest percentage of it of any genre.

Probably something that was more top of mind for me than it would have been normally, after noting that Jason Aldean (who does write) closed out the CMT Awards this weeks with a pair of songs written (and originally recorded) by Brantley Gilbert (who is from just up the road from me, in Jefferson, GA). That's apparently been a bit controversial for Gilbert's considerably smaller fan base but frankly nobody who likes Aldean gives a rat's ass, songwriting or the lack thereof really has no stigma with the country audience at all.

This. There are a lot of good country songwriters (and performers for that matter) that just aren't "marketable." and vis-versa. Actually, that is true in every segment of the music industry. Hitting it big often has less to do with over-all talent, than hitting the right lightning in the bottle. Scotty is going to do fine (being a name gives you such a huge leg-up in country music).
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #583
GrantDawg

First one may be out: J-Lo undecided on second season on 'American Idol' *| accessAtlanta
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #584
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Not surprised. And it would only help the show. There is not enough bitching about Scotty tho. Let's bitch some more.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #585
Ksyrup

Yeah, that's been the case since the middle of the season when her new show about latin dancers/singers or whatever made the news. I doubt she comes back, because she doesn't need to.

Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter who they put at the judges' table because it has become beyond painfully obvious that the judges aren't there to provide any real information or critiques, they are just part of the puppet show orchestrated by Nigel to sell the chosen contestants. And while many people might think that's been the case all along - and maybe it has - with Simon on the panel it always felt more like they managed the show/storylines around the critiques, and not the other way around. Now, it's like they've mapped out the entire season beforehand and use the judges, the extra special effects and musicians for select contestants, the order of the performance, the song choices, etc., to get to a pre-planned ending.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #586
Ksyrup

Ha!

Quote:
Simon Cowell asked FOX to reschedule the World Series?

That’s what The Wall Street Journal reports in a new and in-depth article on the man we love to hate. Afraid that the series would interfere with the X Factor rollout, Simon asked network executives if they might reschedule.

“I asked them if they would change it by a couple of days,” he admits. Executives at Fox Broadcasting, which will air both, said no.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #587
Ksyrup

So, did anyone watch X-Factor?

We didn't. I was completely uninterested after seeing a snippet of the audition process, which basically looked like America's Got Talent or Star Search without the novelty acts. It looked really, really bad. And there doesn't seem to be even a hint of buzz about the show, either. I'm guessing it bombs badly.

We did decide to record The Sing Off, which isn't really my style but does feature people who can really sing, not to mention Ben Folds, who was as good as I expected him to be. I had no idea this show was already in its 3rd season. We'll probably keep watching.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-22-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #588
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
So, did anyone watch X-Factor?

We didn't. I was completely uninterested after seeing a snippet of the audition process, which basically looked like America's Got Talent or Star Search without the novelty acts. It looked really, really bad. And there doesn't seem to be even a hint of buzz about the show, either. I'm guessing it bombs badly.

We did decide to record The Sing Off, which isn't really my style but does feature people who can really sing, not to mention Ben Folds, who was as good as I expected him to be. I had no idea this show was already in its 3rd season. We'll probably keep watching.

It gets a meh from me. We watched it last night. I think the producers know they have to have something there. Contention between LA Reid and Simon and then on the 9 pm show, they had some putz up singing who dropped his drawers on stage and pranced around for his entire song....Paula supposedly was physically ill from it and left to vomit.....

Not watching it anymore.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #589
Easy Mac

I watched the last hour so I could avoid watching the Braves continue to choke (and modern family was being recorded while to wife did work).

It was pretty much American Idol on a larger stage.

Surely the guy with his penis hanging out has to get arrested right? There were kids in the audience.

LA Reid will now have the nickname "Blandy" in my house. because he looks like Randy, but is somehow blander (but he's still blacker than Randy).

The dude at the end, the meth dude, annoyed me to no end. He was doing some weird sort of hand dancing while he "sang." I thought he'd do great as a singing puppeteer.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #590
Ksyrup

Heh. Not only did Simon get an inferior show, but an inferior drink, too. Remind me - who was the first Pepsi icon, the guy whose hair caught fire?

pepsi Pepsi™ 7 Retweets
What did you think of #TheXFactor? Did we find the next Pepsi icon? Think anyone can be in a Pepsi commercial?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #591
wade moore
lolzcat

I watched the first hour, then went to sleep and left the rest recording.

My gut tells me it's better than current Idol. Is it better than mid-run Idol? I don't know.

Here's the positives to me:

1. I like the removal of age restrictions, particularly on the upper end. I always fear the "cute kid getting by on being cute, rather than talented", but the upper end could get some real quality.
2. I like that groups can compete.
3. I like L.A. Not sure why the comments about "Bland". As far as I see it, he's the first judge that's ever been willing to disagree when Simon says someone is good. It's refreshing. It may be manufactured, but I like the tension between L.A. and Simon.

My concerns:

1. The "production" is no different than AI or all of the other reality shows so far.
2. Audience sentiment in auditions may be too influential.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #592
Thomkal
Head Coach

watched during commercial breaks on Survivor-the main guy (or was it girl?) I saw did splits all over the place and barely sang and they passed him (her?) through. That was enough for me.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #593
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
watched during commercial breaks on Survivor-the main guy (or was it girl?) I saw did splits all over the place and barely sang and they passed him (her?) through. That was enough for me.

Yeah, this worries me too. It seems to be like Idol lately where the standards are low and there will be a crap ton of people at the big cut down stage (whatever the equivalent to Hollywood is on X-Factor), making it a jumbled mess.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #594
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Surely the guy with his penis hanging out has to get arrested right? There were kids in the audience.

Not naked. He was wearing a leopard print g-string. Appears X-Factor had Paula rip-off Gordon Ramsay's fake vomit/dry heave reaction to make it look like that. I didn't see it, but just reading this makes me glad I'm not giving this show a chance.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #595
Ksyrup

Quote:
American Idol 10 semi-finalist Tim Halperin will lock himself in a fake jail cell for the final 28 hours of the restriction placed on him by the show’s contract that prevented him from releasing music.

A press release hilariously declares that Tim “has been sentenced to prison — American Idol prison” because “of the contract restrictions placed on Halperin from his time as a top 24 semi-finalist on Season 10 of American Idol,” although it notes the actual imprisonment is a “voluntary prison sentence.” (Of course, so is the show’s contract.)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #596
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oh God I thought there was another horrible season of idol on. Okay so xfactor eh? what's it like?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #597
Ksyrup

Well, it's about 3 years too late, but I now like David Cook... a little. he does a nice job on this - it's too bad AI didn't allow him (or other musicians) to show their real personalities on the show.

http://
Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #598
Ksyrup

I just now realized this show starts up tonight. The lack of buzz is deafening.

Me saying I'm not going to watch is like saying I'm not going to buy the next version of EA's NCAA football game, but I'm really not feeling it. Last season turned me off of the show. I'm sure we'll watch, but I'm guessing I tune out pretty quickly. The crappy music is one thing, but combining it with a bad judging panel and interminable episodes... I don't see myself lasting long. I'm sure I'll be in it long enough to find a contestant or three I hate, though.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #599
spleen1015
Coordinator

My wife and daughter still love it so I'll be watching it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #600
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe the ratings will tank enough X Factor will out do it and Simon can be happy. The show desperately needs somebody to be a breakthrough type of talent to help it go in the right direction. I just think the talent pool for AI is rather tapped.