Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #51
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I am amazed you are on a computer at all now. Get some rest (including eyerest! )

Put on some PInk FLoyd and trip to the painkillers.

Tablets are fun and useful.. especially for pooints where you have wifi (like at my grandmas house and mass eye and ear... where I am for my post op follow up appointment..
Spoiler
… and as for the painkillers.. there are no such animals. I was allowed aspirin.. but because. I am on celebrex to treat knee/ankle / foot inflammation which has basically left me immobile without kit, and since celebrex is a nsaid I cant even take that. My eye basically pulses, with pain every so often.. but I just deal.

As for the downside of typing on a tablet is this took thirty five minutes to write and correct all the autocorrects

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #52
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, so I'm home and on a computer.

The pre op went pretty good, I found I'm down 45 pounds from my peak weight which is good (not that I would endorse any of the methods I got there, of course). They didn't give me much in pre-op instructions, (I was expecting at least a sheet of paper with dos and don't s.. but all they said is "Show up at 12 noon for your 2:30 surgery, and don't have anything to eat the night before".

That last bit kinda sucked, considering it was the Pats in the Super Bowl and my brother had put out a pretty good spread, bison steaks, and plenty of snacks, chips, dips, etcetera.. but it probably would have been for naught anyway, my stomach was jumpier then one of those superballs when you throw it off the wall in a small room. (which had a very good reason, which I'll review later).

We consider these kinda things as basically the same levels as things on tablets handed down from the mountain so to speak, so I actually had my last "food" (an ensure shake, liquids are all I had been able to keep down) at 9:30 PM. My mom came and picked me up and took me to Boston, where I met my dad (he's the only one of the three of us making the trip that was mentally and physically capable of dealing with downtown Boston traffic).

So, we get over there to Mass Eye and Ear at approximately 11:45 am (again, rules are important) and head up to the sixth floor, and check in. I get all the questions about drinking/smoking/drugs, and what did I eat last, known allergies and all, so we get told that the operating rooms are full up, but it's looking like we may just be on time for surgery. A fact which I'm not quite sure reassures me or not, but, eh, sooner started, sooner done I guess.

So we sit and watch the end of The Price is Right.

and the Boston CBS News at Noon

And the Guiding Light

And we get into the Bold and the Beautiful.. until the checkin lady comes over.

"We're sorry to keep you waiting, it seems one of the early scheduled surgeries got bumped to the end of the queue,.. it seems like he had a full breakfast and came in, expecting to have surgery. So, that person's doctor moved his surgery to the end of his queue, and that's bumping other surgeries back... (pause here for rant.)

Now... I'm not one for rules uber alles, but I actually found this a bit insulting and very frustrating. You mean one yabo who got told the rules, deliberately ignored the rules, and is now affecting people who actually did everything THEY were supposed to? I mean, I figure the doctor didn't want to add to his surgical schedule for future days (and who knows, it could have been a fairly emergency surgery), but to me, in a just world, and not an emergency, I would have said "That's great sir. Please turn around, reschedule your surgery with the doctor for a day you actually feel like following the rules, and we'll be glad to see you then.," But again, this may be bitterness talking.

So, back to our good friend, the check in lady.. she was continuing but you're in for a laser procedure today, and I know those don't take longer than a half hour....

Big red warning light goes on in Foz's brain.

This wasn't a laser procedure. They had already done that. SO I asked them to double check.. and in their surgical book that was sent up it was listed as a laser procedure.. but that when I got prepped for the surgery I could discuss it with the head nurse and if need be the doctor.

So, I'm WORRIED, but I'm not panicking. yet at least. Luckily, about 25 minutes or so they wheel me in for the prep work (my joints were so bad without the celebrex I couldn't really walk normally)..

And the head nurse says.. "Ok ,let's get you out of the sweater and t-shirt and into the johnnie, on to the gurney and we'll prep you for the procedure.

This is the point in the procedure where I throw the airbrakes on the whole thing."

I try to say politely as possible, "Ma'am, I'll get into the johnnie, but we have a problem here, this surgery was detailed to me as a incision into the eye, not a laser. I already had the laser procedure here a full week ago, and this is a follow up because it wasn't enough. Could you please summon my Doctor so we can get this straightened out and we can get everyone on the same page?"

Luckily, my doctor (who is really really good) wasn't too far away, and she immediately agreed with me, and apparently it was a glitch in the surgical booking system, and pointed to the last page in the surgery book which correctly detailed the procedure to be done, etcetera. We were all glad to get that solved, as it would have been a really really awful day. We also found that the reason I had been so nauseous during the week was that the pill I was taking (along with the eyedrops) to lower the pressure in my right eye was meant to be taken with food, and didn't have this warning on the label.. which would have made the last week a lot more tolerable, but it's better to figure out how it went wrong.

So, the prep work and the surgery were rather unremarkable (except for the fact that all the good veins in my wrists and inside of the elbows were used up by last week's adventures and the fact I hadn't been eating well (or really at all) made the other veins really small, so they had to try several different locations to get a good flow going. I jokingly asked if they were using me as a voodoo doll for somebody, (I'm never great about needles)

But they put a couple of welcome things in that sedative bag, an anti nausea medicine which chased away all the remaining butterflies in my stomach and a steroid anti-inflammatory (mostly for the inflammation in my eye, but it was a large enough dose that it helped all the trouble spots). The surgery itself, they write R over the right eye that's to be done, tape a clear plastic shield over the left eye just in case, put a breathing mask near my face, administer a local anesthetic when I'm good and out of it and drape a... shroud maybe over your face so you're not effected by the light. The surgery itself went quickly, and I could talk if need be, but I only needed to warn them near the end that I was going to sneeze.. which I did five seperate times, they apparently had to put one stitch into my eye, and cover it with guaze and tape a metal shield over it to make sure I wouldn't hit it or rub it or anything... So, about 30 minutes in the recovery room, and then, "home James!"

Or more accurately, to my grandparen'ts house in Jamaica Plain (Still city of Boston area, but not the craziness that is downtown storrow drive area). There, I mostly slept; 5:30-9:30 PM "nap, and then 11-6, 7-9 sleep..

Go back today, they remove the patch and.. things look good.. no nerve problems, no bleeding, I don't need to go back for 8 days.. where they're going to be working on a plan to solve ALL the issues at once. And I'm down to two steriod drops, an antibiotic drop and an ointment to use before sleep on (no more-nausea-making-pill, yay!), and I have to put a plastic eye shield over my right eye when I go to sleep, as so not to hit it or accidentally rub it or what have you.

So. Home again, jiggity jig, and for the first time, I went in expecting good news, got good news, and it stayed good news. That hasn't happened all week..
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #53
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yay! Congrats! And a Blade Runner reference too!
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #54
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jeebus christ Fozzie. Glad to hear you're doing a little better hopefully.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #55
JediKooter
Coordinator

Nice to hear Fozzie. Hope to hear more good news in the next few days.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #56
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

more about the bison steaks please.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not much to say, my brother goes to the local whole foods market, gets bison steaks there, (costs about as much as the premium beef cuts from what I believe), he puts a beef spice rub and a little olive oil and cooks it on the grill, 5-7 minutes a side. Much less fatty then normal steak and even more delicious if possible
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #58
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, those do sound really good.

oh, and nice job advocating for yourself. I was just reading today about the hospital in NY where they started a c-section on a woman who wasn't pregnant. it's cool you were able to slow things down and make sure it was all cool
Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #59
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Am a little confused about the breakfast man. At first I thought you meant they rescheduled him for the end of the day. But then how does that bump you back? Or was he bumped to right in front of you. Sheesh that's just dumb. Did you ask why they didn't reschedule him for some other day instead of making everyone else wait? If not, now would be a better time to do so (when there are no doctors with scalpels in their hands). And messing up the chart re: laser vs incision. Holy shit! How screwed up ARE these people?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

to the end of that particular doctor's queue, (that doctor had the or for a certain amount of time, the doctor just went into OT in their allotted OR time.) so they could safely do the procedure (Ie, the food cleared the stomach so not to cause a risk of vomiting when sedated)

And yeah, I wish I had said something, but when you've been siting in there for two hours and counting you have two options.. say something like "I understand, but that's disappointing" and adding stewing in bitterness to the nerves in your, and going full on grumpy bastard. I decided that just waiting and getting the whole thing over with was better.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #61
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Glad to hear the surgery went well Foz...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #62
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Glad to hear that it ended up well. Seems like an awful lot of stuff to go through outside the norm, good on you for being flexible and cool with everything.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #63
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
put a breathing mask near my face

This is the part I hate, even if (especially if?) they're knocking me out all the way. I hate the smell of the mask, the rubber/plastic smell. I never cooperate.

Also, every place I've been for surgery, if you eat the day of surgery when you've been told not to, they cancel your surgery. They should have done that for that chucklehead.

Glad it went well, though.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 02-07-2012 at 07:23 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
chesapeake
College Starter

Glad to hear the surgery went well, and extra points for making sure they didn't screw it up.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #65
Mota
College Benchwarmer

That's good news!

My ex wife had similar issues, glaucoma, eyeritis and uveitis (sp?). She lost 85% vision in one eye permanently and the other one had a lot of pressure at various times. I had to sit with her as they gave a needle into her eye once, that was really hard to go through.

So yeah, anytime you have any issues with the eyes it's pretty serious. Glad to hear that you're back on the recovery.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #66
BYU 14
Coordinator

Glad everything went well Foz!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote