Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

So that Bill Maher thing is tonight

http://screen.yahoo.com/crazystupidpolitics/

it's free and i feel like i should support it but... i hate bill maher. is anyone planning on watching it?

NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Love me some Bill Maher. But likely won't catch it.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Bill Maher is such a self-absorbed holier-than-thou egomaniac I can't stand him.

Which makes the fact that I agree with every single thing he says even more aggravating.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Bill Maher is such a self-absorbed holier-than-thou egomaniac I can't stand him.

Which makes the fact that I agree with every single thing he says even more aggravating.

I was about to post the exact same thing. I like that somebody out there is pushing the anti-war agenda and the Atheism message and even the anti-drug law idea but the guy is so arrogant that I just wish somebody else had his platform. (It kind of helps that I don't agree with him on some of the other big issues so I can see how big of an asshole he really can be)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Bill Maher is a panty-waste jackass that needs to stop sucking up the oxygen that someone less annoying could be using.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Rizon
Pro Starter

Not really a fan of his music and can't forgive him for wrecking JLH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Bill Maher is also a anti-vaxer if I remember correctly. He loses all credibility with that stance. As far as I'm concerned, he can go sit in a corner with Jenny McCarthy and stop spreading the stupid.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

I find preachy atheists annoying.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i feel like this is a response to the loius ck thing and if it's successful we'll see more stuff like it but... so. damn. smug.

i'll give it a look see i guess.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

His vaccine stuff is weird. I guess it's a standard blowhard issue though. People thinking that their secret, special diet can prevent all sorts of bad things from happening to them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Actually, it seems pretty likely that a good diet can help prevent (or lower the likelihood) of all sorts of diseases.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Like Bill Maher a lot, especially for his useful ability to get people talking and not just about bullshit. Well like him except for that bad appearance he made in DC Cab (where they were all bad appearances)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Actually, it seems pretty likely that a good diet can help prevent (or lower the likelihood) of all sorts of diseases.
I'm not talking about avoiding donuts and cupcakes. He gets into the stuff where everything has to be organic, he won't shop at a supermarket, won't eat anything in a box or a can. He considers it a big deal and cheating to have a hamburger.

He's into that nonsense where all our ills are from "toxins". Where somehow the fact we can grow chickens faster means it's slowly poisoning us. It's shitty psuedo-science and embarrassing. Read through some of his quackery.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

+1 although I don't agree with him on everything.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm not talking about avoiding donuts and cupcakes. He gets into the stuff where everything has to be organic, he won't shop at a supermarket, won't eat anything in a box or a can. He considers it a big deal and cheating to have a hamburger.

He's into that nonsense where all our ills are from "toxins". Where somehow the fact we can grow chickens faster means it's slowly poisoning us. It's shitty psuedo-science and embarrassing. Read through some of his quackery.

Ah yes I've heard his diatribes on food and good for him that he has that kind of willpower. The main thing that stuck out about what he says about food: He used to eat all the same junk everyone else does, the boxed and canned and fast food and all that stuff. And he got sick. LIke everyone else does. And since he stopped eating that kinda stuff he doesn't get sick. And yes it makes total sense.

Nothing to do with Bill Maher but I myself have watched closely what ingredients are in food I buy and just make sure there are actual food ingredients in them and not High Fructose Corn Syrup. And I go with frozen stuff over canned stuff.

It basically is better for you AND it really just tastes better.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Like Bill Maher a lot, especially for his useful ability to get people talking and not just about bullshit. Well like him except for that bad appearance he made in DC Cab (where they were all bad appearances)

damn - you beat me to it. had to make a dc cab reference.

true story: i spent a summer in college living alone with a tv that got absolutely no reception, but had a vcr, and the only vhs tape in the house was dc cab. so that's all i watched that summer. i think it permanently poisoned part of my brain.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Ah yes I've heard his diatribes on food and good for him that he has that kind of willpower. The main thing that stuck out about what he says about food: He used to eat all the same junk everyone else does, the boxed and canned and fast food and all that stuff. And he got sick. LIke everyone else does. And since he stopped eating that kinda stuff he doesn't get sick. And yes it makes total sense.

Nothing to do with Bill Maher but I myself have watched closely what ingredients are in food I buy and just make sure there are actual food ingredients in them and not High Fructose Corn Syrup. And I go with frozen stuff over canned stuff.

It basically is better for you AND it really just tastes better.

What do you mean "sick"? Like colds and stuff, or bacterial meningitis? Sick is a broad term.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem is there are many factors that go into what makes someone sick. Anecdotally, since I have stopped going to the doctor for every little thing, and since I have switched to homemade bread vs. store bought bread, I have not gotten sick nearly as much as I used to.

I still go out once a week for wings, I still have poor lunch habits (in sales though, so that is tough to break), etc., etc.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
What do you mean "sick"? Like colds and stuff, or bacterial meningitis? Sick is a broad term.

colds and stuff.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The problem is there are many factors that go into what makes someone sick. Anecdotally, since I have stopped going to the doctor for every little thing, and since I have switched to homemade bread vs. store bought bread, I have not gotten sick nearly as much as I used to.

I still go out once a week for wings, I still have poor lunch habits (in sales though, so that is tough to break), etc., etc.

Not trying to start a debate or anything like that, but, have you ever thought the homemade bread is nothing more than a placebo? I mean, you're in sales, that's stressful enough to make someone sick, have heartburn, etc. Have you tried a different brand of bread at the store?

Maybe there is indeed an ingredient/s in the store bought bread that doesn't agree with you. I say that because, I'm sure there is bound to be another food that has the same ingredient or two from the store bought bread that should make you sick, if it is indeed the store bought bread that is the culprit. However, if the homemade bread tastes better and is cheaper, I'm all for that.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

so did anyone watch it? i caught about five minutes of, "christians are dumb, republicans are dumb, obama's second term will be awesome" before my head exploded.

edit: turns out he's donating a million dollars to obama's super pac. so, there ya go.

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 02-24-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
so did anyone watch it? i caught about five minutes of, "christians are dumb, republicans are dumb, obama's second term will be awesome" before my head exploded.

edit: turns out he's donating a million dollars to obama's super pac. so, there ya go.

I watched about 30 minutes of it. Even when he tries to slam democrats, it's really slamming republicans in the end.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

Hi personal preferences and granted, his bloated ego aside, the man's stance on almost anything political is dead on. He has a knack for weeding out the absurd and stupid in every political person, all sides included.

Its kind of sad that it takes an entertainer to point out how blatantly ridiculous our leadership is in a way that actually makes people THINK.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I watched about 30 minutes of it. Even when he tries to slam democrats, it's really slamming republicans in the end.

I don't know about that. He regularly slams Democrats for being pussies. I think he is unafraid to take shots at the Dems.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

I stopped taking medication when I felt a cold coming on, and drinking a full waterbottle every 60 minutes. I started this a little over a year ago. Now my cold symptoms last 1/4 as long and are barely an irritant. I did this because I got tired of spending the $$$ on meds and them never helping.

I also eat starting eating crappier food, more meat, and drinking way more beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I stopped taking medication when I felt a cold coming on, and drinking a full waterbottle every 60 minutes. I started this a little over a year ago. Now my cold symptoms last 1/4 as long and are barely an irritant. I did this because I got tired of spending the $$$ on meds and them never helping.

I also eat starting eating crappier food, more meat, and drinking way more beer.

I rarely get sick. I don't take vitamins or anything like that. When I do get sick, it's usually only for a day or two. Every once in a while I'll get hit by something that will last 4 or 5 days, but, that usually only happens about every 5 years or so. I eat red meat, I don't eat sea food, I drink beer, I don't work out, I don't eat organic, I don't get the flu shot, I only go to the doctors if it's really bad and I usually only take Niquil and aspirin when I'm sick.

What does it prove? I have no idea, other than, I'm very very skeptical to jump on the bandwagon of fad diets and pseudo scientific claims to better health.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think he is unafraid to take shots at the Dems.

As long as the shots are just "they're not being good enough Democrats"

Which is fine, he's a Democrat. But it makes it not very interesting or thought provoking. He's the just the liberal answer to the Fox News personalities, and he's proven that there is actually money in doing that. That really used to be more of a conservative thing, to get people to watch/listen to you in droves just by saying stuff they agree with. Republicans have always been into that kind of affirmation, Dems were a little late but they've caught up now.

Last edited by molson : 02-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I never got sick when I smoked. Now I'm signing for sudafed often enough to be a smurf.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I rarely get sick. I don't take vitamins or anything like that. When I do get sick, it's usually only for a day or two. Every once in a while I'll get hit by something that will last 4 or 5 days, but, that usually only happens about every 5 years or so. I eat red meat, I don't eat sea food, I drink beer, I don't work out, I don't eat organic, I don't get the flu shot, I only go to the doctors if it's really bad and I usually only take Niquil and aspirin when I'm sick.

What does it prove? I have no idea, other than, I'm very very skeptical to jump on the bandwagon of fad diets and pseudo scientific claims to better health.

Ya, I've always attributed by never being sick, for several years now, on good genes and doing everything in moderation. And the fact that I'm the opposite of a germaphobe, I'll eat stuff that falls on the floor, no problem. I'm positive (in my own mind, nothing I could prove), that if I tried any kind of strictly limited new diet based on some kind of shtick, I'd screw up my immune system and start getting colds. Eating generally healthy and exercising takes enough effort anyway. But if it works for someone else, regardless of the reason, good for them.

Last edited by molson : 02-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, I've always attributed by never being sick, for several years now, on good genes and doing everything in moderation. And the fact that I'm the opposite of a germaphobe, I'll eat stuff that falls on the floor, no problem. I'm positive (in my own mind, nothing I could prove), that if I tried any kind of strictly limited new diet based on some kind of shtick, I'd screw up my immune system and start getting colds. Eating generally healthy and exercising takes enough effort anyway. But if it works for someone else, regardless of the reason, good for them.

Yes indeed. I think some people are just predisposed to getting sick. I can't agree more with doing everything in moderation, even though, I sometimes don't adhere to it. Haha! Yes, I am definitely the opposite of Monk. Just blow the dirt and hair off it, it will taste just as good. I agree with you, if it's working for someone else, great.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've lost 15 pounds in the last 2 months by upping my vegetable and fruit intake, cutting back on meats and processed foods, replacing unhealthy snacks with healthier options such as unsalted nuts, and cutting out soda except as a treat. I did introduce some exercise too, but not as much as I would like to. To me, the results speak for themselves. A few simple diet changes have improved my health quite a bit. This is not a starvation diet. I eat as much as I want.

I think not doing things to try to improve your health and then blaming your health problems on genetics is a cop out. I think the truth is closer to something like this: Many Americans refuse to take any personal responsibility for their health in order to justify continuing harmful habits they enjoy (eating poorly / smoking / doing hard drugs / whatever). They contribute greatly to our health woes as a nation, and we all end up paying for it in the form of higher healthcare costs.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-24-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote