Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
dl5175
n00b

Windows license expire

just got a call from a microsoft tech that said my windows license is expiring. He wanted me to do some stuff from my command prompt to renew? I did not think these things expire so I hung up on him. Was this guy legit?

dl5175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

That's weird...were you using a beta key, MSDN key, or a key ganked off the internets? That could cause it, but buying Windows in the store wouldn't cause that to happen.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I would bet it is a scam - perhaps trying to get information to get remote access to your computer?
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
dl5175
n00b

Got it at the store origanal packing.
I called micfosoft and they said it was a scam.

I hope no one falls for it because it sounded like a real call center in India.

Last edited by dl5175 : 04-07-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
HarryLime
Mascot

absolute scam.. all they want is access to your PC so they can load it up full of malware and viruses, to then call back and say they can clean your PC for the bargain price of $200 or so, and then steal your credit card details!

Microsoft will never cold call anyone..
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
dl5175
n00b

Should I call the FBI?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, that poor Nigerian prince is now doing tech support calls...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
dl5175
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Jeez, that poor Nigerian prince is now doing tech support calls...

Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5175 View Post
just got a call from a microsoft tech that said my windows license is expiring. He wanted me to do some stuff from my command prompt to renew? I did not think these things expire so I hung up on him. Was this guy legit?

Sounds like the same shit with people that call me every one in awhile saying they are "Network Security" and that my computer is infected. Ok dumbass I work for the fucking company that provides my Internet and they would know what the name of my ISP is if I asked them.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The best advice, as I told my widowed mother recently, is to hang up if it's a stranger calling or if caller id, never answer the phone from an unknown number. No one can ever ask you anything legally over the phone that cannot be submitted in writing. In other words, do not trust anyone unless absolutely certain.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

How'd they get your number?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Here's another example. Today I got a message on my cell phone (I never answer unless it's a known person) saying they can lower the interest rate on my credit card. They did not identify me by name nor give the name of the credit card. Don't trust anyone.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
.....I never answer unless it's a known person .....Don't trust anyone.

I think this is really bad advice. And, I'm really glad I didn't read your post yesterday - because had I listened to it, I would have missed out.

Allow me to explain. I just got a call yesterday (from an unknown number) which is probably going to let me retire. You see, apparently, I am the sole living relative of a VERY rich person. Sadly, he recently passed away, but, I guess I am entitled to EVERYTHING ! The person on the phone was the lawyer for his estate, and said we're talking 10s of millions.

All I had to do was simply give him my SSN and credit card info to verify my identity - then BOOM ! Millions for me !

I was so happy. And it was very fun to walk into work today, and tell my boss to kiss my ass & I QUIT !
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I think this is really bad advice. And, I'm really glad I didn't read your post yesterday - because had I listened to it, I would have missed out.

Allow me to explain. I just got a call yesterday (from an unknown number) which is probably going to let me retire. You see, apparently, I am the sole living relative of a VERY rich person. Sadly, he recently passed away, but, I guess I am entitled to EVERYTHING ! The person on the phone was the lawyer for his estate, and said we're talking 10s of millions.

All I had to do was simply give him my SSN and credit card info to verify my identity - then BOOM ! Millions for me !

I was so happy. And it was very fun to walk into work today, and tell my boss to kiss my ass & I QUIT !

OMG !!!! I got the same call ! We must be long lost cousins or something ! Lets buy a footie team across the pond and live like oligarchs !
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote