Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Smoking

I'm on day three of not having a smoke and I'm ready to KILL someone!!!! arggggggg

That's all

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I'm on day three of not having a smoke and I'm ready to KILL someone!!!! arggggggg

That's all

When I quit smokeless tobacco a while back, I got a prescription for Welbutrin from my doctor. It helped immensely.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

good luck!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

Just think how that urge to kill is better than killing yourself slowly over the next 20 years.

Good luck.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I've tried so many different methods to stop smoking. I haven't used Welbutrin but I tried Zyban last time I tried to quit.

I'm really focused to stop smoking for good this time. There have been some family reasons why I want to stop this nasty habit. I just wish I wasn't so on edge - It makes me with I could just stay away from everyone and everything for two weeks

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

Just think of catchy show tunes. If that doesn't work, get a horse.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just think how that urge to kill is better than killing yourself slowly over the next 20 years.

Good luck.

This is how I lasted a month and a half before the stress of major projects due this week caused me to break down and buy a couple packs a few days ago. Once I smoke through these two and have the projects in, I'll go back to quitting.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

You chose to quit smoking on the weekend of the draft? You are a Browns fan, right?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

I tried to quit smoking 2 dozens times over a 3 year period. I managed to quit for a couple months at one time and then I used the stress of life as an excuse to start again.

I stopped smoking for good on 1/17/2007. Benny Parsons died the day before from lung cancer. When I heard the news, I decided that I needed to quit and I quit the next day. Haven't had a smoke since. Today, everything about it is so damned disgusting.

Good luck and keep at it. You can do it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Today, everything about it is so damned disgusting.

Good luck and keep at it. You can do it.

This is where I dream to be at. I have stopped for over 6 months at one point but craved one everyday until I caved. Thanks guys for your support....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 04-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've quit cold turkey a few times with pretty good success.
First time I got robbed walking home because I had to stop for smokes. That lasted about 3 years

Started smoking again for about 3 years. Final straw that time is that I was really sick. I puked in my mouth a little bit, but didn't think anything of it. A couple hours later I look in the car mirror and my tongue and teeth were covered in soot. I guess that was all the motivation it took to quit again. It's been about 2.5 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure that by Day Three I'd need a bail bondsman.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm pretty sure that by Day Three I'd need a bail bondsman.

Never has your sig been more fitting.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Over the past year and a half i quit twice with the aid of an electronic cigarette. Both times after about 2-3 weeks i could stop using it. Both times lasted 2-3 months.

Still smoking. Sumbitch.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 04-30-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Addiction is incredible, isn't it? I hate everything about cigarettes. They stink, they beat on my overall stamina, and you have to bear the cold in the winter just to get a fix.

And yet I'll still trot outside today and have a few.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
JediKooter
Coordinator

Every time you smoke a cigarette, you kill a kitten or puppy.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
DougW
High School Varsity

Good Luck CBF. You've motivated me . I've had a bottle of welbutrin sitting in my desk since December, and I just popped my first pill.

I won't be smoke free for a weekish (I guess I'm supposed to keep smoking while the medicine gets into my system), but it's a big step for me. Been smoking 25 years, and have tried quitting a couple times with no success. But, I need some more wind to keep up with my 5 year old. Lighting $300 a month on fire is something I could live without doing too.

Hope you stick with it
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've quit cold turkey a few times with pretty good success.
First time I got robbed walking home because I had to stop for smokes. That lasted about 3 years

Started smoking again for about 3 years. Final straw that time is that I was really sick. I puked in my mouth a little bit, but didn't think anything of it. A couple hours later I look in the car mirror and my tongue and teeth were covered in soot. I guess that was all the motivation it took to quit again. It's been about 2.5 years.

Covered in soot? What, were you puffing on the lit end?

I quit smoking around 25 years ago. The urge never fully goes away. I don't think about it anymore, but I still want one. I'd smoke one right now if I had one.

When I quit, I threw away everything. Every cig. Lighters. Dumped the ashtrays out. Cleaned the cars. I left no trace. And then, simply put, I absolutely refused to buy another pack. I just would not fork out the money under any circumstances. And getting them was easier then too - the vending machines were still around and "pay at the pump" didn't exist. So you had to go into places where cigs were front and center. Now, you actually have to go seek them out.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Good Luck CBF. You've motivated me . I've had a bottle of welbutrin sitting in my desk since December, and I just popped my first pill.

I won't be smoke free for a weekish (I guess I'm supposed to keep smoking while the medicine gets into my system), but it's a big step for me. Been smoking 25 years, and have tried quitting a couple times with no success. But, I need some more wind to keep up with my 5 year old. Lighting $300 a month on fire is something I could live without doing too.

Hope you stick with it

The money aspect is one thing I figured could entice people to quit. Had a friend of a friend do pretty much that...as he started to quit, he would put his normal cigarette money into a jar and watching it grow enormously kept him motivated. My smoker friends here in NYC pay like $15 a pack...completely nuts.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Good luck Doug - we'll kick this nasty ass habit!!

Blackadar - My buddy quit over 10 years ago and he still goes to the bars (or any social event with drinking) with Halls in his pocket to put in his mouth when he get an urge.

It makes it very difficult when I know I could downstairs to 4 of my employees and bum a smoke off them

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

$15 a pack!!??! WOW!! I was paying $4.50 a pack and was down to two-three packs a week. So yeah, would $700 a year of extra play money be nice? Sure - but money is not a motivator for me. The motivation to stop smoking are my kids... that "should" be enough. Time will tell....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

It's easy to quit until the booze starts flowing
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
It's easy to quit until the booze starts flowing

I can't imagine drinking an IPA with out a smoke That is I don't see myself drinking more than one beer for a few months.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

When I quit cigarettes I also quit caffeine cold turkey at the same time. Shit was crazy, man.. Had hardcore "Think I am having a heart attack" panic attacks for a bit, had dreams bees were chasing me and I would wake myself up slamming my head into the wall trying to get away from the bees.. Then the panic attacks started getting worse, but I had grown used to them by then, so I just kind of waited them out.. Now here I am about 2 years later, finally over most of the residual effects of the panic attacks, free of both cigs and caffeine, and feeling way better than I did at any point in the time where I had smoked and drank caffeinated things. I have so much more natural energy and my stomach and lungs are so much happier with the way I treat them now.

It is definitely not an easy road, but stay determined and don't lie to yourself. It is empowering to man up and beat an addiction.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Covered in soot? What, were you puffing on the lit end?

I must have hurled up some of the shit that I had in my throat from smoking. It was like my tongue was covered in ash, and my teeth were nearly black.

When I hurled in my mouth I was so sick and out of it that I didn't go immediately and use some mouthwash. I was just happy i didn't die at that point. The residue I hurled up was so disgusting.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ya'll are pussies. I've quit dozens of times, it's easy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Ya'll are pussies. I've quit dozens of times, it's easy.

LOL, I'm pretty sure smokers all got that one
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #28
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
It is definitely not an easy road, but stay determined and don't lie to yourself. It is empowering to man up and beat an addiction.

+1

I was a solid pack and a half smoker for seven/eight years or so. I know that's not nearly as long as many have smoked, but it was a major part of my life. For me, the associations were much stronger than the chemical itself, though that presented plenty of challenges. Making the decision to quit and actually following through on it, particularly after watching my mother unable to do so for so many years, is one of the accomplishments I'm most proud of in my life.

My mom passed away in September due to health issues both caused and exacerbated by 40+ years of smoking. She was a wonderful and incredibly strong woman, but she just couldn't beat a little thing like cigarettes. Amazing how powerful they are.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 04-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

about 2 weeks ago I decided since I suck at quitting, I will cut down. So many cigarettes are just time fillers for me.

Went from a pack a day to between 3-6 smokes a day now. Still smoking, but proud of progress.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
about 2 weeks ago I decided since I suck at quitting, I will cut down. So many cigarettes are just time fillers for me.

One of the few pieces of advice I'd offer to anyone who actually wants to quit is to basically make a smoking diary for a few days. Some dental work unexpectedly forced me to stop for several days a number of years ago & I became pretty aware of when the worst cravings were & that kind of thing. When I resumed (ASAP) I actually kept track of when & how much I smoked, was very enlightening, I discovered more than one trigger I had never realized before and also found some major impacts about certain times of day that I wasn't conscious of.

I've never really wanted to quit so the info hasn't been used that way but it is pretty handy to know if I'm in some situation where I'm trying to stretch a pack or know I have any for a while or whatever.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
One of the few pieces of advice I'd offer to anyone who actually wants to quit is to basically make a smoking diary for a few days. Some dental work unexpectedly forced me to stop for several days a number of years ago & I became pretty aware of when the worst cravings were & that kind of thing. When I resumed (ASAP) I actually kept track of when & how much I smoked, was very enlightening, I discovered more than one trigger I had never realized before and also found some major impacts about certain times of day that I wasn't conscious of.

I've never really wanted to quit so the info hasn't been used that way but it is pretty handy to know if I'm in some situation where I'm trying to stretch a pack or know I have any for a while or whatever.

If you have it handy, I'd love to scan this board for your posts during that time period.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #32
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'd rather know which posters here are triggers.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Said it before, i'll say it again.

The best thing after sex is a cigarette. Just like putting your dick to sleep in a bed of rose petals.

I'm going to miss that the most when I eventually quit.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #34
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

or more sex.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

The thing that got me to really quit was one day I spent a few hours at work with someone who was an older smoker. Guy was probably in his 50s, smelled like....well, not like he had just smoked, but he smelled like he had smoked so much in his life, that he perpetually gave off this "stale" smoke smell. It never went away at any point in the day, even though he didn't smoke while we were working.

And he couldn't go 5 seconds without coughing up a lung.

I decided that I didn't want to be like that in 20 years.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote