Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
molson
General Manager

Black Friday (and Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)

So is anybody actually hitting the stores, or finding any crazy deals online or anything?

I'm always looking around for the perfect deal for a tablet, 10-inch or bigger, I haven't felt the need to dump my netbook and pull the trigger yet, but if I find the right deal I will.

I won't go to the stores though. Except possibly PetSmart, a friend gave me a $100 gift certificate from there for a extended dog-sitting gig, so I might go load up on various bones and food and treats and toys for my incredibly spoiled border collie if they have any deals.

Last edited by molson : 11-22-2012 at 04:01 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hear Wal Mart is opening early.

I wouldn't set foot in a store this weekend.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Im just going to buy 2 or so games from Matrix...Oh, and a SUV or car
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Comey
College Starter

I'm actually going to the outlets tomorrow morning. I have a couple of things I'm looking for, and won't be bothered by the crowds. I'll have my music, won't mind parking farther away, and know exactly what I want. So I don't mind going.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to a friend's house to play board games. The only time I have been involved with Black Friday is when I worked in retail.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I bought some 3DS games on Amazon. Theatrhythm, Kingdom Hearts, and Heroes of Ruin were all $20 or less.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

hell no
Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I bought some 3DS games on Amazon. Theatrhythm, Kingdom Hearts, and Heroes of Ruin were all $20 or less.

SI

I was debating Kingdom Hearts, as I already have Theatrhythm and Heroes of Ruin.

That plan got derailed when I read on CAG that some Walmarts had jumped the gun on the Black Friday specials. Went by the one a couple miles down the road from where I'm staying this weekend, and it was not only remarkably empty, but they had some of the games still on shelves. And, yeah, ringing up at the BF prices. So I picked up Lego Batman 2 and Forza Horizon for $15 each and waved bye-bye to KHDDD.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I can't remember the last time I left the house during this time (probably back in the 1990s) and not be playing a game. This year, it will be Civ5 again; my third Civ5 game in a row but this one will be first attempt on Deity.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Last Thanksgiving my family came up to visit from WV when I was in Detroit. First time any of my family had been in Detroit. So we are going to hang out on Friday and do some fun stuff. I choose a bunch of fun stuff for my dad, his wife, three sisters, two of which under 18, one in college.

Sounds great right? So we head to Belle Isle, snap some pics of the family with Canada in the background for their Christmas cards. Then they want to go shopping to a few places. Before I know it, we spent the entire day shopping at cloths, electronics, food - everywhere! It was crazy. All they did was drive five hours to Detroit to shop at chains they have back home.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

At the very least, I'll go to Target, Best Buy, Office Max, Barnes & Noble and Gamestop. May hit a mall, too. I love the Black Friday experience.

Then I'll go home to drop off anything I've bought, grab something to eat, and then head to the UNLV game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I ended up with a PS3,Uncharted Collection and Infamous Collection, MLB 12, and Gran Turismo 5 for like 230 bucks
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From my son's FB about an hour ago "Ever seen a fight at a WalMart. I just did. It was actually pretty cool #peoplearecrazy"

He was picking up a copy of Madden 13 & a new XB controller, fight broke out nearby after somebody snagged somebody from beneath some covered display (stuff that wasn't on sale yet) ... shit was on like Donkey Kong from that point. They heard more of it than they saw, people screaming, running, scuffling, etc etc.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile another FB friend posted about her 10 y/o son getting flattened during a scuffle amongst (mostly) teenagers waiting in the video game section at a different Wal-Mart.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Did last year when the kids really wanted an Xbox w/ Kinect. Spent 3+ hours across 3 stores/lines with no luck.

Found one online at a local Sears, $10 more than the price at the stores.

Lesson learned. Not leaving the house this year.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

The savvy internet shopper can certainly get his money's worth and keep his sanity as opposed to the crazy ass, black Friday shopper who may come out short on both.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BTW, that Wal-Mart fight I mentioned? Was over $5 gel pillows.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I worked like 3 doorbuster sales at Sears and never found myself wanting to buy anything. We usually brought in off model TVs to sell for cheap. I can't believe that people would get cold for a slightly cheaper HDTV these days.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I can't believe that people would get cold for a slightly cheaper HDTV these days.

People wait in line hours to get three free pancakes at IHOP. TV deals, no matter how small, shouldn't really be a surprise once you consider that.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
BTW, that Wal-Mart fight I mentioned? Was over $5 gel pillows.

Not surprised in the least.....I will be participating in black Friday from the comfort of my desktop.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A old classmate went Sears to get one of the TVs. An employee said they had an unlimited amount of them and that they could be ordered from their site once they got in. They were also told the door they were at would open first. I'm sure you can fill in the rest.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

Picked up a few small deals at Target. Like half the store went and got some pretty good deals on TVs, but I wasn't in the market for one - very happy with my LG and don't plan to upgrade until I have a more permanent residence.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #23
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Retailers in Canada have just started embracing Black Friday and Cyber Monday the past 2 years. This year is now full frenzy mode for the first time. In my job I sell to national retailers, and it has made things twice as stressful (but also more lucrative). Our big sales time was Boxing Day (and now Boxing Week), which is December 26th. Now we have 2 mind-blowing promo times for the holiday season, interesting to see if it'll cannibalize itself. Curious to see if it's just a big sale or if it adopts some of the insanity that happens in the US.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I went to pet smart and bought litter.... was 17$ 56% off then a 5$ coupon, worth the trouble for sure, no one else was there. Went to Costco and bought a new laptop, place was eery how dead it was....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I didn't really hit a crazy Black Friday deal online, but Amazon had a "Used - Like New" Samsung Series 9 15 inch laptop for $960 (original price is $1500). So kind of like a Black Friday deal.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #26
Easy Mac

Just tried to get the $100 32" TV on amazon. I literally refreshed at the exact right second and i still couldn't get it. I refreshed at 5 seconds til, and it wasn't available. Refreshed at 2 seconds and clicked add to cart. It then told me the cart was empty. No way they had more than 1 of those TVs for sale.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Bad idea # 3729

Dress like a store employee & stand outside for a few minutes on Black Friday, passing out insane coupons that you printed out yourself. Something to the effect of "Special Black Friday Super Deal! Free iPod 64GB with purchase of any two Justin Beiber CD's." You would have to make it look legit with the store logo, pics of the items in question and a Terms & Conditions in fine print that you could really have fun with... Offer valid only at participating locations between the hours of 3:01pm GMT - 4:02pm CET. Not valid with any other offer, or to those with blood type AB-.

Then go home & watch the fun on the news

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 11-23-2012 at 07:16 PM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Just tried to get the $100 32" TV on amazon. I literally refreshed at the exact right second and i still couldn't get it. I refreshed at 5 seconds til, and it wasn't available. Refreshed at 2 seconds and clicked add to cart. It then told me the cart was empty. No way they had more than 1 of those TVs for sale.

I saw that in the upcoming list.

What brand was it? I told my wife it had to be some obscure Chinese brand.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
miked
College Starter

Got Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Rio for my 3.5 year old at Target for $12 total. I feel old.

The wife wants a wireless speaker for the house (like a Bose Soundlink or Big Jambox) but no good deals on those. If I'm gonna spend $250 or so, I can wait a few weeks to see if they go on sale.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Easy Mac

I too got chutes and ladders at target. Thankfully that was on sale Wednesday. Also been waiting on a Bluetooth speaker, mainly for the back porch when I'm grilling.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
Easy Mac

One of Amazon's lightning deals is a $100 HDMI cable. I hope someone purchased that to use with the $100 TV.

If you gave me a billion dollars, I would spend exactly none of that money on a $100 HDMI cable.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #32
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Bad idea # 3729

Dress like a store employee & stand outside for a few minutes on Black Friday, passing out insane coupons that you printed out yourself. Something to the effect of "Special Black Friday Super Deal! Free iPod 64GB with purchase of any two Justin Beiber CD's." You would have to make it look legit with the store logo, pics of the items in question and a Terms & Conditions in fine print that you could really have fun with... Offer valid only at participating locations between the hours of 3:01pm GMT - 4:02pm CET. Not valid with any other offer, or to those with blood type AB-.

Then go home & watch the fun on the news

Please tell me this happened.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #33
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I bought an HDMI cable for my new PS3 for $6 earlier....
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
PilotMan
Head Coach

You could have gotten one on Newegg for $2.

Newegg.com - Rosewill - Pellucid HD Series High Speed HDMI® cable (6 FEET)

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

32" HDTV for $109 at Sam's Club. Grab it fast.

32†Vizio LED 720p HDTV $99 or $109 + Free Shipping - Sam's Club Deals, Coupons and Promos
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

If you have a Fry's near you, they have HDMI cables in various lengths for $4-6 bucks. I'm always amazed at how much money people pay for those
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But.. but! It's super kadooper gold. No, wait! Platinum! With super hi-fi wi-fi double and triple shielded awesomeness!

SI

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
But.. but! It's super kadooper gold. No, wait! Platinum! With super hi-fi wi-fi double and triple shielded awesomeness!

SI

Best Buy trained, eh?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just been in there enough times to have the pitch memorized

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.