Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #551
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Reports: Islanders moving to Brooklyn in 2015 - CBSSports.com

In related news, the NHL may be back to playing hockey at that point too...
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #552
bhlloy
Coordinator

The interesting thing about this is that the Brooklyn Center is tiny for hockey purposes - even smaller than the MTS center - and I have a hard time believing that the majority of the Islanders fanbase (or what is left of it) will take this well and embrace the new location or they will get many fans in Brooklyn. I don't see this ending particularly well but hey, Wang gets his nice new arena and his luxury suites.

It's a real shame given their history but due to years of mismanagement and the reality of new economics, the Islanders are a prime candidate for contraction. Bettman wants two teams in New York but I'm not sure the interest is there. At least on Long Island you had an area with no other pro sports teams and it was "theirs" (always thought they were the closest hockey had to a Packers franchise). Now they are just the Brooklyn Corporates.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #553
Logan
Head Coach

I'm surprised Dolan didn't get this blocked.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #554
Galaxy
Coordinator

I heard the same thoughts as well, I though the new Brooklyn arena was not built with multi-purpose events in mind. Brooklyn seems like overkill to me, as you got three teams fighting with in the market. At least on Long Island, you had your own "identity" and a separate fan base, but now it seems like they're going head-to-head with the Rangers, and to a smaller degree, the Devils.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #555
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You can take the LIRR directly to the Barclays Center. The Isles are on MSG Network, so if they do manage not to suck, it helps their bottom line in the process.

Apparently, the NYR-NYI agreement was amended in 1986:

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/10/...r_a4&eref=sihp

Quote:
I also believed that the Rangers would oppose the Islanders moving a mere six miles away from Madison Square Garden. When the Isles were created, they paid the Rangers a fee for encroaching on their league-sanctioned territory which, until 1972, included Long Island. I always understood that to mean that the Islanders’ home territory was designated as only Nassau and Suffolk Counties. But either I misunderstood or it somehow changed and came to include Brooklyn and Queens, the boroughs of New York City that are adjacent to Nassau County and which are geographically, but not politically, Long Island. Since a team does have the right to move inside their own territory, that interpretation gave the Islanders an avenue west. The New York Times reported in 2010 the Rangers-Islanders agreement was amended in 1986; I worked at the NHL at that time but was unaware of that.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-25-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #556
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I must have missed this the first time it was announced

Rob Zombie to produce film about Philadelphia Flyers' Broad Street Bullies - ESPN
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #557
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What is this hockey thing I keep hearing about? Is it something other than a video game I play?

They need to sit the f*** down in front of each other, come to terms and get their a** back on the rink playing. I have no sympathy for owners who run their business into the ground by overpaying players more than they can afford or millionaire players who can't see that they will run their own livelihood into the ground by asking for too much. (that applies to any and all sports strikes/lockouts/whatever they want to call it)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #558
bhlloy
Coordinator

David Stern retiring in 2014 according to Y! Sports.

Please please please tell me Bettman is going home and the only logical choice for the job. Please?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #559
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think a key difference between the NHL and the NFL, NBA, and MLB is that the NHL is the closest to having some actual competition. I'll be curious to see what happens to the KHL with an influx of talent, and will any other players follow their Russian counterparts?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #560
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
David Stern retiring in 2014 according to Y! Sports.

Please please please tell me Bettman is going home and the only logical choice for the job. Please?

Nope. SI says it's Adam Silver who will replace Stern.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #561
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I think a key difference between the NHL and the NFL, NBA, and MLB is that the NHL is the closest to having some actual competition. I'll be curious to see what happens to the KHL with an influx of talent, and will any other players follow their Russian counterparts?

I'm not sure the NBA is so different given the various Euro leagues, no?

That said, my friends and I are discussing the idea of doing a KHL fantasy draft this year since the NHL one seems like it won't be happening. And you know what? It seems like it might be a lot of fun!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #562
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I think the Euro basketball and hockey leagues are pretty comparable. The difference can probably be put down to exposure a) because hockey keeps locking it's players out for a whole season and they end up in Europe and b) a lot more NHL players come from Europe than NBA players

But in terms of actual quality of leagues it's pretty similar. Euro basketball has some very rich teams and fanatical fan bases, probably more so than hockey. And we'll see how long the KHL glamor lasts, it's still amateur hour in many respects. It wasn't so long ago that they had two high profile tragedies and we were talking about how no NHL player would even consider playing there.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #563
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm not sure the NBA is so different given the various Euro leagues, no?

That said, my friends and I are discussing the idea of doing a KHL fantasy draft this year since the NHL one seems like it won't be happening. And you know what? It seems like it might be a lot of fun!

Aleksey Morozov, relevent again!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #564
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Aleksey Morozov, relevent again!

Don't forget about Kris Beech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #565
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Don't forget about Kris Beech!

I said again. "The next Ron Francis" was never relevant.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #566
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah I think the Euro basketball and hockey leagues are pretty comparable. The difference can probably be put down to exposure a) because hockey keeps locking it's players out for a whole season and they end up in Europe and b) a lot more NHL players come from Europe than NBA players

But in terms of actual quality of leagues it's pretty similar. Euro basketball has some very rich teams and fanatical fan bases, probably more so than hockey. And we'll see how long the KHL glamor lasts, it's still amateur hour in many respects. It wasn't so long ago that they had two high profile tragedies and we were talking about how no NHL player would even consider playing there.

It all comes down to $. How many teams can pay the salaries that the NBA pays, and how many of them can generate the endorsement and exposure dollars of the NBA for its players?

I think if Europe had a pan-Euorpe league (not each country has it's own league), it could work.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #567
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just heard a rumor that BizNasty is signing with the Cardiff Devils in the UK. Awesome news for the team and the league - one of the most recognizable players in the NHL if you are on twitter
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #568
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - looks like the winter classic is off. But I thought I'd bring you the important rumor first.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Just heard a rumor that BizNasty is signing with the Cardiff Devils in the UK. Awesome news for the team and the league - one of the most recognizable players in the NHL if you are on twitter

And a total non-factor if you're not!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #570
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ha! It's the social media age, curmudgeon
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #571
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Ha! It's the social media age, curmudgeon

Heh! I am not on Twitter, but have read many of his tweets. They are very good. He's a funny guy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #572
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Saw this on a blog - not looking good for any agreement.

For this from an individual in the room for Friday’s negotiating sessions and confirmed word-for-word by Slap Shots by a source across the aisle:
"Near the end of the meeting, Don [Fehr] said to Gary [Bettman]: 'Let me get this straight. Even if the players agree to every single component of the league’s economic plan, we still don’t have a deal unless we also agree to every one of your proposed changes to player contract rights?'"

To which, both of our sources reported, "Gary said: 'Yes.'"
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #573
RendeR
Coordinator

Sounds like ownership has decided that unlike the other 3 major sports they're not going to have their sport controlled by the player's agents.

Dunno if I think its the best idea or not, but I have to say I like the fact that they're telling the players union "this is how its going to be or you can go play in Russia"

And to be honest, there is no real competition to the NHL. To compete with a North American based professional league you have to actually have a team on the continent. Otherwise no one really gives a damn about you. Its a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is, sports fans here are seriously uncaring about sports leagues they can't actually go see.

Curling has a better chance of developing a following in the US than the KHL does.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #574
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Sounds like ownership has decided that unlike the other 3 major sports they're not going to have their sport controlled by the player's agents.

Dunno if I think its the best idea or not, but I have to say I like the fact that they're telling the players union "this is how its going to be or you can go play in Russia"

And to be honest, there is no real competition to the NHL. To compete with a North American based professional league you have to actually have a team on the continent. Otherwise no one really gives a damn about you. Its a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is, sports fans here are seriously uncaring about sports leagues they can't actually go see.

Curling has a better chance of developing a following in the US than the KHL does.

Yet the players can make good money in the KHL, so that's not their problem. It's much more of a global game than football or even baseball in that there are other places players can play and make a good wage.

I have zero sympathy for the NHL owners on this one. Their proposals have been absolutely absurd. Their first proposal was for a 40% wage cut. Unbelievable. They want to allow free agency after 8 years? The average NHL player doesn't even play in the league for 8 years. Stuff like that makes the owner's side entirely unsympathetic. Not to mention they were signing players right up to the deadline of the strike, only to turn around and ask concessions on the contracts they just signed? What the fuck is that all about?

Really, I hope the season gets canceled, the NHL entirely crumbles and someone starts a new hockey league in its wake. I know that won't happen, but that's what these owners deserve.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #575
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Really, I hope the season gets canceled, the NHL entirely crumbles and someone starts a new hockey league in its wake. I know that won't happen, but that's what these owners deserve.

This.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #576
molson
General Manager

The fact that the NHL owners are perfectly OK with zero hockey games being played in their hockey-playing business I think shows that they don't need any sympathy. If you can take away the anger and bitterness and emotion, both sides are just looking for the best deal they can get. If zero business activity is not only OK, but a strategy they go back to again and again, then the business activity really isn't that valuable. They're not losing much. I mean, in how many industries does it make sense to just periodically stop doing business for long stretches of time?

Last edited by molson : 11-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #577
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This.

JIMG, we're agreeing far too often nowadays.

I think you're well on the road to becoming a decent liberal.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #578
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The fact that the NHL owners are perfectly OK with zero hockey games being played in their hockey-playing business I think shows that they don't need any sympathy. If you can take away the anger and bitterness and emotion, both sides are just looking for the best deal they can get. If zero business activity is not only OK, but a strategy they go back to again and again, then the business activity really isn't that valuable. They're not losing much. I mean, in how many industries does it make sense to just periodically stop doing business for long stretches of time?

I think this is a situation where it's clear that there's a difference between the haves and the have-nots in this sport, and a lot of the hold up is due to the in-fighting between the owners (although this seems to be much more private than what we saw in the NBA and NFL situations recently).

There's no way in hell Jimmy Dolan wants his newly renovated arena sitting half empty all winter.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #579
Capital
High School Varsity

While a portion of the owner's proposals have a bit of obsurdity in them, I'm tired of Don Fehr blaming this lockout of the owners. The PA did not offer anything in the off season (even though it was asked on numerous occassions) and tried to get the lockout ruled illegal in parts of Canada (which the players lost). Notice Fehr didn't try that in the US.

He keeps reiterating that he wanted the league to start playing on time and negotiate throughout the season. The players lost that opportunity (earning actual money during the season while negotiating) when Fehr was part of the MLBPA that struck in mid season (not locked out) and could not come to an agreement so the owners "promised land" of playoffs were cancelled.

After that, I would never start season in any sport until I had a CBA in place. The players make the most money during the season and, with the exception of the NFL, most sports leagues are followed heavily until the second half of the season. The NHL even moreso, as their playoffs bring some of the most exciting elements of their game to the forefront.

Hockey is my second favorite sport (even though I may be the only person in Atlanta that misses the Thrashers) but could not agree to the PAs offer in this condition. The PA doesn't even want limits on contract length. The NBA realized what giving 8-12 year contracts did to their league - remember Big Dog Robinson, Michael Olowkandi and Allen Houston just to name a few - devestating to their teams and ultimately the other players in the league - less money available since a larger portion is tied up to loser contracts and players. The NBAPA actually helped push for the smaller contracts lengths you see today.

Make a deal after the December holidays and play a 50 game season (whatever the number). More attention is given to the winter sports after the holidays anyway (good for many of the small mkt owners - plus college and pro football is winding down), but the players would have lost nearly 40% of their salary - money that many of them will never see again (minus the guys playing in the KHL). Just like in 2004-2005 when the players would never take salary cap and rollbacks. They accepted both but lost a year's worth of salary.

The difference this time...the PA has Don "I stick it to the Owners" Fehr. One more note, 6 out of 8 baseball negotiations he participated had a strike or lockout - baseball has had labor piece since he left - not a coincidence and player salaries are at all time highs.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #580
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So this is how Maple Leafs is spending his hard earned book monies!

Toronto Maple Leafs fan buys Maple Leaf Gardens toilet for $5,300 - ESPN
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #581
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So this is how Maple Leafs is spending his hard earned book monies!

Toronto Maple Leafs fan buys Maple Leaf Gardens toilet for $5,300 - ESPN

I'm actually relieved he spent money on a toilet.

Sex Toy Sales Up In Canada Due To NHL Lockout, Retailers Say

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 11-20-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #582
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm actually relieved he spent money on a toilet.

So is he.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #583
molson
General Manager

Not really much news considering we're near the end here .

It's just as well, the fake 2012-2013 Bruins really suck.

EA SPORTS NHL 13: 2012-2013 NHL season Week 13 simulation - ESPN
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #584
Ryan S
Quarterback

If the NHL loses a second season within a decade, it deserves to die.

Time for a new North American hockey league.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #585
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

This
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On a barely related note, it was fun to go see an ECHL game tonight for the first time in a couple of years.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #587
britrock88
Pro Starter

On another barely related note, it was interesting to curl in one room while being able to see (at floor level) a high school hockey game next door through the interior windows.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #588
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Watching WJC gold medal game really made me miss it. Up until now, was pretty out of sight, out of mnd.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #589
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Jets prospect Jacob Trouba named top d-man of the tourny. Mark Scheifele also had a solid tournament for Canada. And Adam Lowry picked up WHL player-of-the-month honors for December. Not a bad month for the Jets farm system!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #590
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

They should lose the rights to the Stanley Cup-and I don't mean just for this year, but permanently.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-05-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #591
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
They should lose the rights to the Stanley Cup-and I don't mean just for this year, but permanently.

An out of court settlement during the last stoppage affirmed that the Trustees that actually control the Cup have the opportunity (but no obligation) to award the cup to whomever they see fit.

They have no interest or desire to do so.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #592
britrock88
Pro Starter

Doesn't help that the current trustees were both in NHL administration.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #593
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Jets prospect Jacob Trouba named top d-man of the tourny. Mark Scheifele also had a solid tournament for Canada. And Adam Lowry picked up WHL player-of-the-month honors for December. Not a bad month for the Jets farm system!

Not Penguins system, but team USA had 4 players with Pittsburgh ties. JT Miller, Rielly Barber, Vince Trotchek and John Gibson. Gibson grew up in the same town I'm in, his parents live 15 minutes from me.

All 4 , including Gibson, had assists in the semi win over Canada. Gibson took home best goaltender of the tournament.

Pretty awesome to have 4 kids from a 23 man roster.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #594
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The lockout is over.

NHL lockout is over; players, owners reach tentative CBA deal after 16-hour talks | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #595
Ryan S
Quarterback

Until that tentative deal becomes a signed deal I am not getting my hopes up.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #596
Danny
Head Coach

YES!!! Despite its issues, I love the NHL. Now its time for the Kings to go defend their title.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #597
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

10 years is a big + to me. By the time of the next lockout, we'll all be senile enough to have forgotten this one.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #598
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
10 years is a big + to me. By the time of the next lockout, we'll all be senile enough to have forgotten this one.

lol.. amen to that!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #599
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Took too long to get a deal - think a lot of fans may just not care, going to take them years to get any goodwill back...so many players locked into overseas contracts for the year...going to be an ugly season if it's really starting in like a week...there's an opt-out after 8 years in the new CBA (which you just KNOW one side will take)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #600
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Took too long to get a deal - think a lot of fans may just not care, going to take them years to get any goodwill back...so many players locked into overseas contracts for the year...going to be an ugly season if it's really starting in like a week...there's an opt-out after 8 years in the new CBA (which you just KNOW one side will take)

It took way to long, but I love hockey and can't wait to see my Blues take to the ice.

Heck, I've been watching the U20 championships and enjoying them.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote