Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
DougW
High School Varsity

Feeling blue.

So. I was thinking/sad. Hate, violence = spreading like wildfire.

Take care of myself, wife, kids, help us find love.. check. Be kind to family, extended family, workmates, strangers, people I run into .. check.

I look around at the world as a whole, and it's discouraging. So much hate, so much violence, so much judgement. Obviously, looking in the mirror, making changes, working the inner circle doesn't work - I assume, because the outer circle isn't doing the same, who knows why though .

**** So, what can "Average Joe" do, to make the world better ? .. Yeah, deep shit eh ?

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

The "easy" answer is to find some charity you(and maybe your family?) can give some time to in your community, right? Something where you can see the difference you help to make in someone's life. I haven't done nearly enough charity work in my days, but volunteering with Habitat For Humanity a couple times in my younger days made me feel pretty damn good and provided a clear, tangible benefit to a family in need.

Start small, you can forge world peace later on
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

The world isn't gonna get any better man. But that doesn't mean that you can't make it better for you and the people around you. Just love. Care, give, help, advise. The most important part though is to not do any of those things with expectations. It's ok to want and to hope but it's not ok to harbor resentment, it'll eat you up inside. Realize that nobody can be in your mind, the same as you can't be in anyone elses mind. Don't try and fix the world, or think that you can, it'll decimate you. As bad as things may seem on a grand scale or even in your inner circle, always remember that the time you have left is ridiculously short. Everyone you hold dear will be gone in the blink of an eye, as will you. Leave what you can for future generations, whether it's money, things, wisdom or memories. Cry when you need to, but know that it will pass. Hate if you have to, but not for that long. Enjoy everything else. But most of all, don't let worry overtake you, it's the worst way to spend your time.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Stop watching the news. Doesn't mean to stop keeping up on it, just don't watch the TV for it. It helps to get away from the sensationalism. Remember that it's the outliers that make the headlines, not the norm.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It has always been there and always will be. The internet, 24 hour news, etc... makes it seem like it is getting worse.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yep have to start ignoring the news and think about the fact that the world is the most free and safe its ever been and will probably be even more so when your kids are older. My grandparents generation could interact with the world by being really rich or joining the military. Our children can talk over the interent to kids all across the world. Doesn't make for as great of a news story as man kills three though.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Stop watching the news. Doesn't mean to stop keeping up on it, just don't watch the TV for it. It helps to get away from the sensationalism. Remember that it's the outliers that make the headlines, not the norm.
This is great advice.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post

yup. The reception area of my office has a TV for clients waiting to meet reps, etc... and they usually have CNN on. If I spend 10 minutes up there it is usually the 10 most depressing minutes of the day.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

I agree with the stop watching the news suggestion. There is plenty of good out there, it doesn't get ratings though, so a lot of it is not reported and Lathum is spot on. The age of technology puts it in our face.

Start by looking for events that help others in your community (walks for various causes, volunteer a day a month at nursing home, etc)

There is a lot of bad in the world and it gets me down at times too, but I have seen plenty of good too, you have a to look a little harder, but it is worth it when you do.

You are already doing your part and that's what you have to celebrate.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
britrock88
Pro Starter

britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The "easy" answer is to find some charity you(and maybe your family?) can give some time to in your community, right? Something where you can see the difference you help to make in someone's life. I haven't done nearly enough charity work in my days, but volunteering with Habitat For Humanity a couple times in my younger days made me feel pretty damn good and provided a clear, tangible benefit to a family in need.

Start small, you can forge world peace later on

This. It's cliche, but think globally, act locally is really good advice. You can help people in your community in a lot of ways. Volunteer where it fits your lifestyle. Go to Habitat builds, coach, mentor kids, visit hospital patients, drive someone to the doctor, etc. The ways to help are nearly endless.

You can't fix every problem, but you can fix at least one. It may not change the world, but it changes that person's world.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Simple things make a world of difference.

Say 'please'.

Say 'Thank you'.

When someone tells you 'Have a good day' at a retail/restaurant location, respond that you hope they have a great day too. You'd be surprised how many people smile that you bothered to say something as simple as that.

Be sincere when you do all of the above. People can tell when you're being sincere and when you're not.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed with the "Watch news less" advice. It's all bullshit, things aren't as bad as you think.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-27-2013 at 10:08 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I live in one of the safest cities in the country (100k+ pop), but my family that live around me are constantly worried about crime. Not careful, but paranoid. They all watch the local news, I don't. I really think that TV news can really skew your perspective on things.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Control what you can. Don't worry about anything else.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

I love finding gems likes this, a very sad story that was given just a little bit of brightness by the kind hearted folks in this community. Still a lot of folks like this out there Doug, keep the faith

Katelyn Norman, dying teen, celebrates prom from hospital bed
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I did a maths and business degree at University - one of the things I did was statistical analysis of crime; that is looking at whether the concerns of the populace matched the statistical reality behind things.

When investigated the common indication of the media actually contradicted what is actually the case in many cases - the media would have you believe (as percentage of news reported) that the most at risk elements of society are the very young, the very old and women, actually when I did the analysis (admittedly around 20 years ago now) the most at risk of violent crimes were young males.

The reason for this is simple - crimes against the very young, very old and women cause more interest and thus generate views/newsapaper sales etc. ... but also unfortunately bias our view of society to be far different than reality.

PS - With regards to making the world a better place, I'm a great believer in the power of 'ripples' small things everyone does which make a positive difference to someone who in turn does the same etc. (paying it forward as the film said).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
So. I was thinking/sad. Hate, violence = spreading like wildfire.

Take care of myself, wife, kids, help us find love.. check. Be kind to family, extended family, workmates, strangers, people I run into .. check.

I look around at the world as a whole, and it's discouraging. So much hate, so much violence, so much judgement. Obviously, looking in the mirror, making changes, working the inner circle doesn't work - I assume, because the outer circle isn't doing the same, who knows why though .

**** So, what can "Average Joe" do, to make the world better ? .. Yeah, deep shit eh ?

I would recommend discovering your place in God's plan to redeem the lost and hurting, to make a difference not just in this fallen, broken world, but for all eternity.

However, so as not to threadjack or offer unwelcome advice, let me just say that if you're interested in talking further along those lines, I welcome your PM.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #19
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

News is depressing, don't get sucked in.

I love what everyone said about helping in the community. If your kids are old enough, get them involved too. Your local food bank is a great place, as are community gardens. Check your local Goodwill and see if you're able to volunteer breaking computers apart.... you'll make some great memories and it's a great lesson for the kids, they too can make a difference.

Smile... a simple smile can do wonders and what Mizzou B fan said, be genuine, people can spot a phony.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote