Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

San Diego area FOFC'ers

We travel there at least once or twice a year and enjoy it to the point we are looking to relocate there from Arizona in the next 1-2 years. I like to plan well in advance so I am looking at feedback on the better areas to live. All the kids are gone so we will likely downsize to a condo as we don't need all the room we currently have in our house, so a 2 bedroom place would be ideal.

Cost has to be under 300K, (200-250 would be ideal) schools are obviously not important, but crime rate and ease of access are. Doesn't have to be in San Diego proper, but within 30-45 minutes would be nice as we like to spend time on the water boating, Jet skis, etc.

Since we rarely venture outside the 'tourist' areas any good info on residential areas that fit the criteria above would be appreciated. I know the traffic sucks everywhere, but we will both likely be remote employees, so that is not a huge concern.

Thanks

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

I think it's going to be difficult to find a decent one for that price, but I'll see if anyone non-FOFC has any ideas.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I think it's going to be difficult to find a decent one for that price, but I'll see if anyone non-FOFC has any ideas.

Surprisingly I found a fairly large selection of condos in the 225 - 300 range that while smaller, looked very nice and fit our needs. It just the surrounding areas I don't know much about.

I know we won't be on Coronado or in La Jolla for that price range, but anything decent that is close to the city
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

You really have to be careful near SD. If you find an area where a place in that price range, you might end up in a high tax area which will suck you dry.

The housing market out here is starting to go boom again. I purchased a house in Menifee (about 1 1/2 hours north of downtown SD) a couple months ago and my realtor told me if he was putting the house on the market now, he would start it at about 50k over what I paid for it. (I'm right in your range by the way)

Get a good real estate guy and make sure you plan the move out well in advance.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Thanks Troy, how do you like Menifee overall, don't know much about the area and that would be fine for us if we are both working remotely.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

I really like Menifee. It isn't for everyone. Weather is certainly warmer than what you'll get in SD or closer to the coast. Tax rate where I'm at is high, but it comes with some major benefits. (A huge lake to walk around, gym, gigantic pool area with multiple pools, slides and a splash park), gated community, etc. The Murietta school district is supposed to be one of the best in the state, if not the country. (I don't have kids, so that isn't a concern right now for me)

A huge strip mall about 5 minutes from the house that has a Best Buy, Super Target, Lowe's, Petco, about 20 other smaller stores and 20 places to eat.

The downside is the highway. The 215 can be a pain in the ass if you are traveling north (I picked the area because I have to work in Ontario and Escondido and it splits the two almost perfectly)

When I was looking for houses out here, I lost out on 4 bids due to investors making cash offers. I didn't find out until later that I was lucky it was only 4. Here are some articles:

All-cash buyers winning the war in Calif.'s booming housing market - CBS News

Record Number of California Homes Bought with Cash

Again, not to rehash, but I cannot stress enough to plan ahead and if you KNOW you are going to do this move, start early. It may take awhile to find your landing spot.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

I looked at some property there and also Carlsbad area and found some possibilities.

I hear you on the planning part, I probably overdo it when it is a major move like this would be and if I am not 100% comfortable with everything falling exactly into place we won't do it. I am looking at least a year down the road, so I am starting very early and the way the housing market evolves will play a big part in that.

Arizona is going through a similar upswing again and values are rising a bit faster than I think is reasonable to sustain long term growth and avoid another collapse like we had here before.