Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #2001
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Bill would be fine. Tebow/Mallett > Matt Cassell.

Mallett>>Cassell, yes. Tebow>Cassell, no way in hell. And that's not intended to be a compliment to Cassell.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #2002
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Tebow was all of 4-12 in his first game.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #2003
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Fair enough. In my head, it was Mallett 98% of the time, and Tebow for a couple gimmick short yardage snaps.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #2004
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Fair enough. In my head, it was Mallett 98% of the time, and Tebow for a couple gimmick short yardage snaps.
Yeah, Tebow actually looked good on the drive when they were running the read-option and utilizing his running ability. 95% of his value right now and why he'll make the team is to give the Patriots scout looks at that in practice, but I'd guess if Brady went down they'd throw him out there in that package for a drive each game, and possibly more if the opposing defense can't stop it. Belichick has no illusions that Tebow can run the same offense that Brady (or even Mallett, who I don't rate highly in terms of accuracy or recognition) does.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #2005
molson
General Manager

Ha

Massachusetts Evacuated To Prevent Any Contact With Tom Brady’s Knee | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

BOSTON—Following an alarming episode in which New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady suffered a mild sprain to his left knee, government officials confirmed Thursday that Massachusetts has been evacuated in order to prevent the state’s populace from having any contact with the star athlete’s knee. “Though we’ve received word that Brady’s MRI showed no structural damage, as a precautionary measure, I have issued an executive order mandating that every man, woman, and child currently living in the state disperse immediately so as to avoid any chance of aggravating his injury,” said Governor Deval Patrick, urging Massachusetts’ 6.6 million inhabitants to seek temporary residence in any one of the neighboring states pending further instruction. “While these measures may pose a minor inconvenience to our citizenry, it is of utmost importance that we do everything in our power to ensure that Brady enjoys a complete, trouble-free recovery and is back at full strength by Week 1. You really can’t be too careful with this sort of thing.” Patrick added that as Brady recuperates, the Patriots quarterback should feel free to use any of the state’s vacated houses and abandoned possessions as he sees fit
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #2006
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Nick Foles is looking so poised it makes me wonder if he is sedated. Looking real good out there. Shades of Aaron Rodgers right now.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #2007
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

HAHAHAHA, right on cue.

FUCK EA
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #2008
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Bush continuing to go nowhere hopefully hammers home just how bad the Lions are at run blocking.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #2009
Danny
Head Coach

Megatron going to rack up 2k yards this year
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #2010
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Brandon Weeden is making the fantasy QB class even deeper. Beautiful throws all over the field. I don't like seeing that at all.

FUCK EA
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2011
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Don't think I have ever seen an offensive lineman as bad as 69 for the Raiders.

FUCK EA
Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #2012
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

I read Alex Barron is starting at LT for the Raiders. He hasn't been seen since a game in 2010 that any Cowboys fan will remember.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #2013
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Haven't caught a bears game in a few years?

EDIT: Just saw you specified for the raiders specifically. Nothing to see here. Though as a bears fan I definitely understand the pain of seeing terrible O-Linemen.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #2014
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Haha, I know the Bears are bad, but I literally watched I think 3 or 4 plays in a row where the RT (I think it was the RT) was beaten within a second of the snap. I feel terrible for Raider fans for the state their team is in.

FUCK EA
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #2015
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Haha, I know the Bears are bad, but I literally watched I think 3 or 4 plays in a row where the RT (I think it was the RT) was beaten within a second of the snap. I feel terrible for Raider fans for the state their team is in.

You shouldnt, next year with Teddy and 70 million in cap room we will finally be headed in the right direction!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #2016
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
You shouldnt, next year with Teddy and 70 million in cap room we will finally be headed in the right direction!

If they find a staff and show some patience and get some semblance of stability there, things will be ok.. But they need an offensive line more than anything. Flynn can play if he gets a shot.

FUCK EA
Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #2017
Danny
Head Coach

The main issue was the absolute utter cap hell and draft pick void Davis left the team in, but that changes after this year. They have 70-80 million for next year.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #2018
Danny
Head Coach

They actually are ok on oline for the future cause veldheer and wiz are both really good young players and Watson should develop at rt, and I'm sure with some money they can get some guards next year. They will be bad this year cause Watson is too raw and now veldheer is hurt to go along wth weak guards. What they really need is a franchise qb and a pass rush
Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #2019
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Are you at all optimistic that Flynn can show something? I think he has the ability to be a solid guy if he gets time to throw. Seems if he shows something and they still end up with a high enough pick, they should go ahead and grab Clowney. They could throw the world at Michael Johnson and put him opposite Clowney and have a huge defensive upgrade.

I always get excited to play FOF when I get into conversations like this.

FUCK EA
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #2020
Danny
Head Coach

We'll. I just feel like Flynn might me maxed out as a mid level talent. And a franchise qb makes such a huge difference and I really like teddy. If Flynn has a good year I could see going clownwy because he is such a rare talent.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #2021
Danny
Head Coach

Now this is assuming they will pick first. The jaguars we surely complete for that spot as might the jets
Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #2022
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now this is assuming they will pick first. The jaguars we surely complete for that spot as might the jets

but ESPN assured us on draft day that the JETS got a franchise QB in the draft?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #2023
PilotMan
Head Coach

I got to meet Gus Bradley (jags new coach) back when I was in college. He was on the staff and I was dating one of the other coaches daughters at the time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #2024
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Did that play just happen?

Reggie Wayne?!

Last edited by Lathum : 08-18-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #2025
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Vick is the starting quarterback for the Iggles.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #2026
Logan
Head Coach

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 1m

BREAKING: The NFL's nightmare scenario is over. Judge announced settlement between the league and the 4,500 players suing over head trauma.

eta:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m

BREAKING: US judge: NFL, players reach proposed $765M settlement of concussion-related lawsuits. -SS

---

Looks like they got off cheap.

Last edited by Logan : 08-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #2027
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 1m

BREAKING: The NFL's nightmare scenario is over. Judge announced settlement between the league and the 4,500 players suing over head trauma.

eta:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m

BREAKING: US judge: NFL, players reach proposed $765M settlement of concussion-related lawsuits. -SS

---

Looks like they got off cheap.

Hell yeah they did.

If a third of the settlement goes for legal fees, doesn't it leave about $100,000 per player before taxes?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #2028
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Hell yeah they did.

If a third of the settlement goes for legal fees, doesn't it leave about $100,000 per player before taxes?

Not to mention that part of the settlement benefits are going to research programs and testing.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #2029
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not to mention that part of the settlement benefits are going to research programs and testing.

So it sounds like the effected players aren't going to come out with much at all.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #2030
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Hell yeah they did.

In a suit of this size, I would be shocked if the contingency fee was 1/3.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #2031
Logan
Head Coach

The legal fees aren't included in the $765MM, it's to be figured out later whatever that means. I saw that the player comp will be $675MM...although it's being paid out over time. Half of it is paid in the first three years, then the remainder is spread over the next 17 years.

This is nothing for the NFL.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #2032
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Chris Kluwe put it that they'll spend millions in research to discover that they can't pad the inside of the players skulls.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #2033
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
The legal fees aren't included in the $765MM, it's to be figured out later whatever that means. I saw that the player comp will be $675MM...although it's being paid out over time. Half of it is paid in the first three years, then the remainder is spread over the next 17 years.

This is nothing for the NFL.

Thanks. It is not a class action so individual plaintiffs may be compensated differently. So, individual plaintiffs may have differing contingency arrangements (or no contingency fee at all).

Given what I know in other spaces, for a case like this, there would be pretty massive bidding by firms for the business, so you would typically see a contingency fee significantly lower than the car wreck standard of 1/3.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #2034
BishopMVP
Coordinator

$5m max for any one player. In other news, the author of the Rolling Stone article on Aaron Hernandez thinks he could be back in the league within 4 years. Paul Solotaroff: ‘Aaron Hernandez Grossly Overcharged’ « The Doug Gottlieb Show – CBS Sports Radio
Quote:
His principle nemesis at this point is likely to be the five gun charges levied against him; I think they got him dead to right on most of those,” Solotaroff said. “But as crazy as it sounds, this is a guy with no priors. So asking a judge to sentence Hernandez to consecutive prison bids – rather than contemporary ones – is going to be a very hard sell for the prosecution. And if in fact he winds up doing three years behind (bars for) those gun charges – which would be a lot in this case – he’s 26, 27, with very low mileage on those legs of his and a lot of time to heal up. My sources tell me there will be more than one NFL team pursuing him hotly when he walks out of jail in four years.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #2035
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

But he'll be 31 and out of the league for four years. Yeah, he's got talent, but sitting for that long isn't going to help at all. He's probably a serviceable TE for four years or so. I can't imagine teams wanting to bust their butt for that kind of a player outside of the fact that they would be signing a convicted murder.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #2036
Butter
Coordinator

He'd be 27 in 4 years.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #2037
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ah, I read that wrong. I still have to wonder how much of that talent stays with him sitting in jail for four years.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #2038
Danny
Head Coach

He'll still have talent and will surely be in good physical shape. I hope my team doesnt even look at him. And my team sucks
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2039
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
$5m max for any one player. In other news, the author of the Rolling Stone article on Aaron Hernandez thinks he could be back in the league within 4 years. Paul Solotaroff: ‘Aaron Hernandez Grossly Overcharged’ « The Doug Gottlieb Show – CBS Sports Radio

what about the murder charges?

Hernandez's kid has a better chance to play in the NFL before he does.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #2040
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
what about the murder charges?

Hernandez's kid has a better chance to play in the NFL before he does.

This concept presupposes that the DAs don't really have enough on him for murder (IE one of the other guys did it/reasonable doubt that AH did) and he only goes for gun charges.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #2041
Logan
Head Coach

If Roger Goodell is still in charge, he doesn't sniff the league after serving time on multiple gun charges and being involved in a murder.

Not to mention that in MA law, even if they could get the jury to believe that it was another guy who pulled the trigger, they can all get the murder one charge once they didn't cooperate with law enforecement.

That RS article had a lot of opinion and suggestion thrown into it. I don't exactly trust what they have to say about the case.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #2042
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Stafford. 1-6 with an INT. The rest of Detroit's QBs? 10-12 for 3 TDs.

Last edited by Matthean : 08-29-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #2043
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Stafford. 1-6 with an INT. The rest of Detroit's QBs? 10-12 for 3 TDs.

Stafford has looked awful all pre-season. The only time he's looked even close to good was because of Calvin Johnson.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #2044
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Stafford has looked awful all pre-season. The only time he's looked even close to good was because of Calvin Johnson.

Starting to sound like Daunte Culpepper with Randy Moss all over again.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #2045
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think maybe relying too much on a big time receiver can hurt a QB from a development standpoint. It might be hard to adjust to throwing to humans after being able to just chuck a ball down field and wait for superior talent to win the battle for the wounded duck.

FUCK EA
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #2046
Danny
Head Coach

That's one of the most absurd things I've ever read lol.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #2047
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
That's one of the most absurd things I've ever read lol.

Well I wasn't totally working from a serious angle there.. But there may be something to it. You can't deny accuracy might take a hit when you spend a lot of time just putting the ball up there where Calvin can make a play. He gives Stafford probably several feet more room for error than an average receiver does. Calvin caught 59.8% of the balls that came his way last year. 200 plus targets. Only 2 of them were intercepted. Stafford threw 15 picks on his other 500 throws. Almost all of Calvin's catches were on deeper routes too, so that 59.8% is a crazy number.

FUCK EA
Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #2048
DannysWife
n00b

Or you know stafford just isn't that good
DannysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #2049
Danny
Head Coach

That's what I get for being too lazy to get my own iPad Last night in bed
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #2050
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Stafford is like Luol Deng. A very good, but not elite, player. You can't really get rid of him--he's too good for that. But you also get the sense that he's not going to be the guy to lead you to a championship. He could help bring you there, but he's not going to be the best player on your team. However, you have to pay enough to keep him that he keeps you from spending money on other players in a salary cap world.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote