Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Something that has been brought up that I had never thought about it. Everyone seems to be saying that the NBA was always going to be the first sports to have a active player come out. Here is a piece from one article that seems to be a point of agreement by many in the media:

Metta World Peace, NBA community supports Collins' decision to come out - NBA - Lee Jenkins - SI.com

Quote:
Different sports foster different values that evolve into different cultures. In football, you hear about the need to be disciplined. In basketball, you hear about the need to be free. In football, players camouflage their personalities, because 11 must work as one. In basketball, players showcase their identities, because one often carries five. The institutions are as different as Tom Brady and Chris "Birdman" Andersen. "Be you," NBA coaches tell their players, a kind of league-wide mantra. Ty Lawson drives. Steph Curry shoots. Rajon Rondo passes. Tyson Chandler dunks. Only a fool would try to change them. For 12 years, Collins screened. His role might have seemed frivolous to those who didn't have to chase guards around his 7-0, 255-pound physique. Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson and the old New Jersey Nets reached two NBA Finals bounding off those screens. Be you? "Twin," as Collins was known in Jersey, seemed like an expert. But only now has he completed the job.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #52
Danny
Head Coach

Stole it from Jon Stewart, but the 1:00 mark cracked me up.

Obama: 'Couldn't Be Prouder' of Jason Collins - YouTube
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #53
SegRat
High School Varsity

Rumors going around that Aaron Rodgers is about to be outed by former lover. Supposedly Rodgers almost came out last Sumer.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #54
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

lol

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Rumors going around that Aaron Rodgers is about to be outed by former lover. Supposedly Rodgers almost came out last Sumer.

I'll believe it when it happens, but if it was a "marquee" player like that that would be good for like...it being accepted by the homophobic-public and teammates.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #56
lungs
Pro Rookie

Lately we have a thing in Wisconsin with whispering about the sexuality of our unmarried superstars. Ryan Braun was gay before steroids.

Last edited by lungs : 12-30-2013 at 08:11 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #57
Dutch
"Dutch"

Good thing for him we haven't banned polygamy, I guess.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #58
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The tweets by his supposed ex are... interesting.

Aaron Rodgers Gay Rumors: Did He and Boyfriend Kevin Lanflisi Break Up? - The Hollywood Gossip

Hope he wins another Super Bowl & comes out just to get this whole thing about no marquee athletes being in the closet over with.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hard to believe the rumors are true, but it would be huge if they are and he came out along with the three others mentioned in the article. Would probably open the floodgates and many more would come out.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #60
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm gay Spartacus!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #61
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

makes you wonder if that factored into him falling so far in the draft...(and if so, glad that he made a lot of teams pay)
Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
makes you wonder if that factored into him falling so far in the draft...(and if so, glad that he made a lot of teams pay)

I had the same thought
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

A fair amount of smoke there... I think it would be awesome if one of the first NFL players to come out was one of the best players in the league and a Super Bowl champ. Would have been better if it was on his terms...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #64
nol
Banned

Did anyone see the similar rumors regarding Tim Duncan when he was getting divorced? At first I just assumed it was the divorce proceedings getting ugly, but this Rodgers story sounds similar with the alleged lover being a roommate early in his pro career. I also found a story with this quote from Duncan's teammate Danny Green.

Quote:
When asked how he would react to any revelations regarding Duncan’s sexuality, Green expressed support for his teammate. “Timmy is Tim. I’m not going to look at him any differently. He’s my teammate regardless of his sexual preferences,” Green said in the interview. “I haven’t heard anything about it and I definitely haven’t suspected anything. He’s going through some stuff, and that’s what happens when you go through a divorce sometimes. It gets ugly.”

That was a much more interesting answer than an emphatic, "Are you joking?! He's definitely 100 percent straight," not just because of the ambiguity it provides, but because I really think that kind of attitude is the prevailing one in pro sports regarding gay teammates.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #65
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
That's weird, because the ABCNews.com headline is: "NBA Star Jason Collins Makes History: 'I'm Gay.'"

Thought this was interesting ...

Jason Collins isn't the first openly gay sports star
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #66
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

very interesting.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #67
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Correction: in one of the big four leagues (or possibly just male in the US). Pretty sure there have been active tennis, women's golf, WNBA, women's soccer players who were out.

+1. This still kind of rubs me wrong. He's not the first openly gay athlete and yet that's what he got promoted at.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #68
Desnudo
Coordinator

I reflect back on how much society has changed in a good way on this topic. In that it would be a big deal, but at the same time it wouldn't be. I can say my personal views on this topic have changed dramatically over the past decade.

I am surprised Rodgers likes playing on D. *rimshot*
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #69
SegRat
High School Varsity

Rodgers addressed the rumors on his radio show. " I'm not gay. I really really like women. That's all I have to say about that."