Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2014 bump-Vote should be today.

Quote:
The candidates

VETERAN CANDIDATE

Morten Andersen, kicker: A 1982 fourth-round pick by the New Orleans Saints, the Danish-born Andersen played 25 seasons and scored 2,544 points, most in league history. He is trying to join Jan Stenerud as Canton's second pure kicker.

Jerome Bettis, running back: Nicknamed "The Bus," Bettis is a fourth-year finalist. When he walked off into the sunset with a Super Bowl XL ring following the 2005 season, the Detroit native ranked fifth all time with 13,662 rushing yards.

Derrick Brooks, linebacker: Never missed a game in his 14-season career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A 2000s All-Decade selection, the six-time all-pro intercepted 25 passes, returned six for touchdowns, forced 24 fumbles and had 13½ sacks.

Tim Brown, receiver/kick and punt returner: The former Los Angeles-Oakland Raider and Buccaneer collected 1,094 receptions for 14,934 yards and 100 touchdowns. He ranks fifth with 19,682 combined net yards.

Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., owner: He led the 49ers to five Super Bowl titles and hired iconic coach Bill Walsh. DeBartolo was suspended for one year and surrendered his ownership stake after pleading guilty for failure to report paying an extortion fee to former Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards for a riverboat gambling license.

Tony Dungy, coach: Became the first African-American coach to win a Super Bowl, with the Indianapolis Colts after the 2006 season. His Bucs and Colts teams reached the playoffs in 11 of his 13 seasons. Including postseason games, he was 148-79.

Kevin Greene, linebacker: His 160 sacks with the Los Angeles Rams, Pittsburgh Steelers, Carolina Panthers and 49ers ranked third all time following his 1999 retirement.

Ray Guy, punter: With a 42.4-yard career average, the six-time all-pro played on three Raiders Super Bowl-winning teams.

Charles Haley, defensive end: Will his fifth-year as a finalist prove poetic justice for the only player to be on five winning Super Bowl teams? Haley finished with 100½ career sacks.

Marvin Harrison, receiver: Peyton Manning's first go-to guy, Harrison finished with 1,102 receptions, 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns.

Claude Humphrey, defensive end: Credited with 122 career sacks in 171 games with the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles, whom he helped lead to Super Bowl XV with a team-high 14½ sacks.

Walter Jones, tackle: This 6-5, 300-pounder protected the blind sides of nine Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks, including Warren Moon and Matt Hasselbeck. Jones allowed just 23 sacks and was whistled for nine holding penalties in 180 games.

John Lynch, safety: Had 26 interceptions, 13 sacks and more than 1,000 tackles as a cornerstone for the Bucs and Denver Broncos. He helped lead the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl title.

Andre Reed, receiver: Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly's go-to slot receiver connected with Kelly 663 times — most by a QB-WR tandem until 2004 when Manning-Harrison eclipsed them.

Will Shields, guard: The Kansas City Chiefs cornerstone went to 12 Pro Bowls in a row and was on the league's All-Decade team of the 2000s. Helped pave the way for Priest Holmes' then-record 27 rushing TDs in '03.

Michael Strahan, defensive end: Set the season record with 22½ sacks in 2001. The spiritual leader of the New York Giants' 17-14 Super Bowl XLII upset of the Patriots, Strahan went out on top. He was a complete defensive end and stout run stopper with 141½ career sacks.

Aeneas Williams, cornerback-safety: In 14 seasons with the Arizona Cardinals and St. Louis Rams, notched 55 interceptions and was a member of the 1990s All-Decade team.

Rules are up to 5 contemporary players and up to 2 veterans.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 AM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My Vote would be
Shields
Strahan
Jones
Greene
Brooks

Vet-
Humphrey

Really wanna vote for Morten Andersen, but I'm not big on kickers being in since they are part time players.

Last edited by stevew : 02-01-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #53
britrock88
Pro Starter

Am I the only person that thinks that everyone on that list deserves to get in?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'd go with Brooks, Shields, Jones, Brown, and give some love to kickers with both Morten, Ray Guy, and Humphrey too, That'd be my 7.

EDIT - IMO, Brooks should be a shoe-in.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-01-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Am I the only person that thinks that everyone on that list deserves to get in?

No...the voting process is dumb.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

7 make it in:

Brooks
Jones
Reed
Strahan
Williams
Guy
Humphrey

Especially excited as a Cardinals fan to see Aeneas Williams get in. Wasn't sure he'd make it. And the first punter in with Guy is long long overdue.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #57
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

At least the Ray Guy stuff is over. Now move onto someone else.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #58
oykib
College Starter

How exactly does Reed make it over Brown? Brown's stats are pretty much better across the board. It wasn't just longevity. Brown also beat him in Pro-Bowl seasons nine to seven.

Brown
top 10 receptions 6 (including the league lead once)
top 10 receiving yardage 5
top 10 touchdowns 8

Reed
top 10 receptions 5
top 10 receiving yardage 3
top 10 touchdowns 4
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #59
oykib
College Starter

Dola

Of course, Cris Carter belongs in before either of them. I'd just assumed he was in and just missed that his name wasn't in there.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #60
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
Dola

Of course, Cris Carter belongs in before either of them. I'd just assumed he was in and just missed that his name wasn't in there.

He got in last year. I assume Brown will get in soon enough.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #61
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
How exactly does Reed make it over Brown?

Length of time spent in the waiting room?

Glad to see the max number got in for this year.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #62
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Length of time spent in the waiting room?

Which is more or less the direction the NFL HoF is headed toward it seems. There really is no reason for Andre Reed to get in over Tim Brown or Marvin Harrison, but he had waited long enough I guess.

There was no reason for Chris Carter to wait as long as he had to, but they decided to get him last year so that they could start voting other receivers in.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote