Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2003, 02:43 AM   #1
daedalus
Pro Rookie

ping: Anrhydeddu

You have a PM . . . er, wait, never mind.

Don't know if you're still following it but apparently the UK version of Gothic II has been released. There is a brief discussion/impression thread on Gone Gold, if you're interested.

daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks, daed. I follow gothic.rpgdot.com nearly everyday waiting for the news. With the UK release, I (and the community) believe that the US will be soon. All along I had believe it was a matter of packaging (since we need Atari's logo and support structure on the box and documentation).
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Oh, cool. Hope to see an impression soon.

Just don't skip out on the Viking dynasty on us.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just don't skip out on the Viking dynasty on us.

I will be playing that tonight. I had been too tired to play since I got back.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Game look good... yes...

I was thinking of getting Gothic I, but I heard the controls sucked in combat.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:07 PM   #6
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

The user interface/controls of Gothic has been much debated. They are not intuitive or as simple as other similar games - but - as with any UI, once you get used to them, they become very second nature where you don't have to think about it. You basically just keep your left hand on the Ctrl button and the right on the Up Arrow. Anyway, Gothic II has improved the controls from what I've read.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Calis
College Starter

The controls did suck, no reason not to play the game though. I'm not so sure you EVER get used to them, but you learn to live with it. I never really did, but it didn't detract from the game, only when I first started playing. Anyhow, you're missing out if you don't give a shot.

Anrh- I had heard some rumors that Gothic 2 wasn't actually going to be released here until October for some reason or another. Have you ever heard this?

I think I might actually end up getting it from GoGamer, it was only like 37 bucks I think. Of course I just got the expansion for NWN, so it will have to wait a while, but I'm eager to try it out.

I have however heard Gothic 2 is a HUUUUGGGE resource hog, even moreso than Morrowind, just as a warning to folks. Very anxious to play it though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 PM   #8
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Calis, it has been very tortured to say the least. We knew all along that the German (and perhaps some other European counties) would be released first, as with Gothic I. But JoWood handled the distribution and like with other games they distributed, they botched it. At the same time, they started claiming bankruptcy and said that the US release would be a ways off. Well, like with any rumours combined with the lack of any truthful information from JoWood, lies were perpetuated (like the game needed more QA). Apparently, they couldn't do the US distribution (for whatever reasons) and looked to Infogrammes to bail them out. At first, it wasn't going to happen so they made up more lies. All along they had been negotiating to sell (or change) to Atari. Now we are seeing the game that Pirahna Bytes completed earlier that have been localized ready for distribution with the new box and updated manuals. Or something like that.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Here's a review from Gamer's Hell (we are still not sure when the US will be released)

Quote:
Gothic 2 Review

Sound/Music : 8.6
Graphics : 8.3
Gameplay : 9.1
Multiplayer : N/A
Overall : 9.2

Gothic 2 © JoWood
Reviewed By Andreas Misund Berntsen

Sometime during the fall of 2001, I gave a fairly unknown game called ‘Gothic’ a try. My expectations weren’t high at all, but it was an RPG - so it could be fun. The game turned out to be one of my all-time favorite games, regardless of genre. The graphics weren’t great, the music was okay, the controls were weird at best - but the story was very involving, and kept you going for between 30 and 40 hours (depending on how many quests you did that weren’t related to the main quest). The game took place in some magical world, and takes place in the middle ages. A rather large prison colony had been established where the prisoners were set to mine magical ore, which could be used to fend off the nasty orcs and their kind, and of course make the king even more powerful. The colony was covered with a powerful magical shield, which you couldn’t turn off just like that. Our hero was wrongly sent here. The prison colony had several factions you could join, such as the imperial guards, magicians, rebellions, some weed smoking naturalist people and more. The story unfolded differently depending on whom you joined, but the ultimate outcome would be the same. At the end of the game you had to battle a seriously nasty monster by the name of The Sleeper, who would (like most other super-villains) bring death and despair to everything good.

Gothic 2 takes place right after Gothic 1, so at the beginning you’re briefly introduced to the ending of the first game where The Sleeper was killed and the magical barrier removed. Most of the convicts tried to escape but they would quickly find the neighbor city of Khorinis to not be very welcoming. Evil was undoubtedly still present even though The Sleeper was killed - to wit; the nasty orcs are planning to launch a big assault, backed up by dragons and more. At the end of Gothic 1 our hero was pretty much covered in rocks, but his mysterious wizard pal Xardos managed to teleport him to safety. Khorinis needs your help, so you set out from the mountain hideout to save the world. There’s one small problem though, when you were teleported out you lost nearly all your strength and abilities, so you’ll have to start entirely from the beginning.

A lot of things have happened in Khorinis and its surroundings, not including the enemy threat. Khorinis needs food to keep its inhabitants alive, and magical ore from the valley of mines (the colony) to have an edge against evil, but not everyone wants to keep supplying the king and his men. Not all the farmers like the way they’re being treated, so the biggest farm owner, Onar, hired a gang of ex-convicts as mercenaries to protect his employees from the paladins who have recently entered Khorinis. Paladins are rarely dispatched if there isn’t grave danger, so naturally the God fearing people of Khorinis wonder what’s going on, whether there’ll be a war between the farmers and the city-folks, and whether they’ll all be slaughtered by orcs and dragons in the meantime. The mercenaries also have internal conflicts because some seem to like the bandit profession. At the beginning of the game you’ll again be able to choose what faction you’d like to join – whether it’ll be the imperial squad, the mercenaries, or maybe the seemingly peaceful magicians in the monastery.

Throughout the game you hunt monsters to gain experience, increase in level, get stronger, more dexterous, get more mana – just like in any other RPG. There are tons of weapons, scrolls, magical runes and such to be bought but unlike most other RPGs you won’t spend much time managing the items. When joining a faction you’re given an armor set, which consists of everything you need, and putting it on is just a matter of pressing TAB to bring up the inventory, move to the armor, and press CTRL. It’s obvious when playing the game that the developers wanted you to enjoy the quests rather than micro-managing skills and items, which is a good thing because the storyline is terrific.

A lot of people were upset with the initial difficulty, and the controls in Gothic 1. This time it’s not quite as hard, and you’ll have more options regarding the controls. By default you use Gothic 1 controls, but these can be configured to your liking, but in my opinion it’s not at all a problem to play the game once you’ve learned how things work. Secondly, in Gothic 1 you had to use CTRL + Up Arrow to for instance pick up things, but this time the CTRL key alone is used to replace the more complex combinations of the first game, which results in tighter, better working controls. Controlling our hero is by default done by using the up and down arrow to move back and forth, and the left and right arrow to turn around, but the a and d button can also be used to strafe, which can be useful during combat. Drawing a weapon is done by pressing space, and actually pulling off a melee attack is done by using CTRL + the up, left, right, or back arrow. The arrow keys can be used to pull off combo-attacks, but when you go up in level and choose to improve for instance one-hand combat you’ll also learn more efficient attack styles. Admittedly, at the first half of the game your character won’t be able to do especially impressive attacks, but in the second half you’ll hopefully be so powerful that you get a ‘Blade-like’ feeling when doing attacks that leave groups of orcs dead.

In my opinion the melee aspect of the game is the most fun, but ranged combat and magic are also good alternatives. In addition you’ll be able to learn lock picking, alchemy and various miscellaneous skills but acrobatics has been removed which is unfortunate since it let you move faster.

Since this is a full-blown sequel you will have to encounter some nasty new monsters but you’ll still have the good old meatbugs, the wolves, the shadowbeasts, and of course the beloved orcs. New monsters like the Elite Orcs (and a few other orc types) have been introduced, and I don’t want to spoil too much but you should also expect even bigger, even badder fiends, when you least expect it.

Gothic 1 didn’t win any awards for best graphics but this time around it at least has a better chance. The environments are much more varied this time around, more detailed, filled with more very nicely made objects, painted with extremely crisp textures. The use of colors has also been improved, so Gothic 2 is far from as bland to look at. The characters also look nicer, but even though the paladin outfit looks nice it can’t really compare with for instance Neverwinter Nights’ shiny and reflective surfaces. I also wish more effects had been used on the melee weapons, and that the characters had stencil buffered or volumetric shadows, so it could compete more with the most famous titles when it comes to graphics. Gothic 1 had a fairly big game world, which took a good while to fully explore, but in the sequel you’ll not only have an area that’s even bigger, you’ll also have an altered version of the valley of mines, and a tiny island which I don’t want to spoil any details about. The amount of work put into these huge game worlds is nothing less than amazing, and to make matters even better, the engine is capable of quickly loading for instance the entire main area, or the entire valley of mines, so you can play for hours and hours without loading more than once! Not having to load at regular intervals is great, which anyone who has played Dungeon Siege can attest to.

How NPCs “live” is usually not something you notice in games, because they tend to just stand around all day in their store, or pub, or wherever the developers placed them. In Gothic 1 miners would go work during the day, head over to the bonfire and grab some food in the evening and head to their cabin and the bed at night. This feature works even better in the sequel because people now have even more detailed “lives”. Every single character in the game has a voice which is great but I do wish the developers had hired more people because when you can tell that one man has voiced five or six relatively important people in the game it feels a bit less great than it could. The voices are also fairly appropriate to the characters but I also wish they had left out some of the more modern words that I’m convinced people in such a world wouldn’t use. Keep in mind that I’m nitpicking now, and that it doesn’t exactly ruin the experience only lower it half a grain. The musical score consists of a reasonably good selection of orchestra tunes that aren’t as emotional as the theme from Morrowind but does a great job of staying in the background without getting repetitive. I wouldn’t object to a greater selection when running around in Khorinis and the surroundings, but what’s sure is that the musicians could’ve done a whole lot worse.

There is no multiplayer feature in this game which is a bit unfortunate because a deathmatch mode could be fun but it’s no doubt understandable considering the strong focus on single player quests in this game.

Conclusion:
Those who read my Morrowind: Bloodmoon review may have understood that I didn’t like the game much. Playing the game didn’t give me a good feeling but all this changed when I began the journey of Gothic 2. This really is a game you can lose yourself in because it really is enjoyable to just run around the countryside being chased by dangerous monsters, stumbling across hidden pirate treasures, battling it out with trolls, and basically seeking fame and fortune. This game is challenging, long (it took me 33 hours to finish the main quest, along with a number of side-quests, and of course random adventuring), has plenty of cool features, humor, and entertainment. In my opinion this game is a must have for RPG fans but if you’ve played and liked Gothic 1 then you’ll have no option but to run for the store and buy it as soon as possible. This game demands you to play for a long time to really enjoy the cooler aspects of the game but if you can get past the initial stage then you should find this game to be a truly fine title.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Cool deal. Thanks for review.
Quote:
In Gothic 1 miners would go work during the day, head over to the bonfire and grab some food in the evening and head to their cabin and the bed at night. This feature works even better in the sequel because people now have even more detailed “lives”.
This concept just rocks so much. I think that's what I like best about CM. There's a world out there and I'm just a part of it.

Apparently, some people didn't like the lack of automapping feature. That's also apparently true in this sequel. What's your opinion of that?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #11
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Autmapping was actually irrelevant in Gothic. It's not like a FPS where it would expose every corridor, pathway or room. The first map you get (from the Old Camp) is a fairly small scale map covering the areas between the Old Camp and the Mine, so it was used as a navigation tool esp. if you took the wrong turn in the woods. Other maps you get would expose more areas and what little dark areas there would be, it really didn't matter how they were exposed. Hope that's an answer to your question.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:05 AM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

By the way, I know you were saying that you're trying to stay away from games but [ here ]'s an impression of the US Gothic 2 over at Gone Gold. Don't know what the difference between the US and the UK releases are, though.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:50 AM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks. I think the US version is 1.3.3 (UK is 1.3.2). Most of the gamesite reviews give it high marks. I'll be going to Best Buy today to pick up this, if it's on the shelf, and RRT3. They will make perfect Christmas presents.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 09:40 AM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Review at gothic.rpgdot.com (not unbiased but a good overview)
Old 11-19-2003, 07:22 PM   #15
Calis
College Starter

Alright, I'm lazy and didn't feel like making a whole new Gothic 2 thread, mainly because I don't feel like posting impressions right now.

Anywho, I was just curious if Bucc ever grabbed this and if so what you thought. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, but man oh man, I'm loving this game. Best RPG I've played in years. I might give some more in depth impressions later, I'm about 15 hours in.

My real reason for posting is, for anyone who has played it. Is there a frigging trick to teleporting? I'm a member of the Merc camp, but I don't think that should matter. Anyhow, I was able to teleport fine the first time I was told to, but now when I'm running around and what to teleport, nothing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:47 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Calis, it makes me very happy to see someone here enjoying this game. I did buy this but since I'm not playing games seriously right now, I'll probably just it put under the tree thing. Everywhere I have seen (via the rpgdot site), Gothic II has gotten great reviews and buzz. I have played six different RPGs over the years and Gothic is still by far the best I have ever played. It suits me perfectly.