Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #51
Craptacular
College Starter

The only rule I could find said that both at-large teams cannot be from the same conference. So who knows if the conference winner gets bumped, or if they just have the six conference champions and no at-large teams. It would be an interesting situation.

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:00 AM   #52
Butter
Coordinator

Being the Luckeyes is better than being the Suckeyes.

And while I agree that the best way to settle this at least would be some sort of playoff system, I don't know how you can say that if Ohio State wins on Saturday, they don't deserve to play for the title. OSU will have beaten 5+ teams in the top-25. USC will have beaten maybe 2. And OSU's loss was to a higher quality opponent, both of them on the road.

You can say that USC would give OU a better game... but everyone said that OSU had no shot against Miami last year as well.

Let's all just hope that they can work out some sort of playoff system. 4 teams wouldn't be that great, 8 teams would be better, 16 would be terrific!

Oh, and Tucker342... you can give it a rest with the Buckeye bashing, OSU proved it was a better team than Iowa on the field this year... the same Iowa team that took down Michigan.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:26 PM   #53
Kawiki
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Vegas Vic
Assuming OU makes it to the Sugar Bowl, I honestly think that USC has the best chance to knock them off. They match up more favorably than OSU, plus they have better team speed and athleticism. I don't think that OSU would score an offensive touchdown against OU.

OSU may not score an offensive TD but they would end up winning the game. Like they have done at least twice this year.

Remember, defensive wins championships and running up the score on someone loses respect.

As long as OSU beats the team that will not be named from the north they deserve to go.

Kawiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:14 PM   #54
TroyF
Coordinator

You can say that USC would give OU a better game... but everyone said that OSU had no shot against Miami last year as well.

Everyone? Nope, not everyone.

I think USC is better than Ohio State this year. I don't think the Buckeyes will win against Michigan. . . but I figured they'd lose to Purdue as well.

People complaining about USC not being there, however, need to stop. If Ohio State were to beat Michigan on Saturday, that would mean they had played 7 games against teams ranked in the top 25 (at the time they played them) and they went 6-1 in those games. That would include three teams in the top 10 at the time OSU played them, all coming late in the season when the polls mean a little something.

USC has played two teams ranked in the top 25 all year. (again, this is a team being ranked at the time USC played them) Auburn and Washington State.

We can whine all we want about HOW Ohio State keeps winning. . . the fact is they do. I was a believer in that team last year. I'm not this year. I could [b]spend all day explaining why I feel that way. I think last year the TOOK games away more often than not. I think this year they are being given games. It's a subtle difference and it goes to the eye of the beholder.

Regardless, they beat Michigan on Saturday, they'll be there because they deserve to be there, not because of the NY Times poll or margain of victory being weighed in. (SOS should always outweigh MOV)

TroyF

Last edited by TroyF : 11-19-2003 at 01:15 PM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #55
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
The only rule I could find said that both at-large teams cannot be from the same conference. So who knows if the conference winner gets bumped, or if they just have the six conference champions and no at-large teams. It would be an interesting situation.

What if:
  • Texas wins out
  • LSU loses to Ole Miss
  • Ohio State loses to Michigan
  • USC loses a game
  • OU loses the Big 12 title game

If all that happened (not out of the question), then we'd probably have a 1-2 title game, with 2 teams from the same conference, where neither team was conference champ!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:34 PM   #56
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
What if:
  • Texas wins out
  • LSU loses to Ole Miss
  • Ohio State loses to Michigan
  • USC loses a game
  • OU loses the Big 12 title game

If all that happened (not out of the question), then we'd probably have a 1-2 title game, with 2 teams from the same conference, where neither team was conference champ!

That is the scenario we are talking about. In that case, Texas and OU play in the national championship game and Kansas Sate or Nebraska or Missouri (whoever wins the Big 12 North) would get bumped from the BCS because of the exception to the rule Craptacular quoted--a conference may send two at large teams to the BCS if they are 1-2, but in that case the conference champ is dumped.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:36 PM   #57
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
That is the scenario we are talking about. In that case, Texas and OU play in the national championship game and Kansas Sate or Nebraska or Missouri (whoever wins the Big 12 North) would get bumped from the BCS because of the exception to the rule Craptacular quoted--a conference may send two at large teams to the BCS if they are 1-2, but in that case the conference champ is dumped.

Personally, I would love to see a rule stating that if a team isn't a conference champ, they aren't eligible for the national title.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:13 PM   #58
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Personally, I would love to see a rule stating that if a team isn't a conference champ, they aren't eligible for the national title.

Remember when this happened with Nebraska a couple of years ago? Now imagine the outrage when both teams in the game are not conference champs, and one of them is guaranteed at least a split of the crown.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote