Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
John Galt
Pro Starter

Little things I'd like to see in FOF2K4

I finally got the game and have had a few hours to play. There are a couple things I'd like to see changed in the interface, but overall I've enjoyed the game.

1) I'd like it if "current value" or "future potential" stickied on the Recommend player page. I always find myself going through every position I need and having to change it to "future potential" which is a little tedious.

2) I think it would be great if the 4 depth charts were linked with buttons (or at least a "next" and "previous" button). I just find it tedious to have to go through 4 different window close and opens to set my lineup. It would also be nice if the gameplans had some "next" or "previous" buttons.

3) I'd love it if the "lock" was not overridden by scouts determine depth chart. I understand that the system as designed doesn't work that way (as QS made quite clear), but I don't see a good reason why it shouldn't work that way. I'm happy letting my scout decide a large portion of my depth chart assignments, but I want to make sure some rookies get time that the scout doesn't like. I can't think of a drawback to this proposed system.

I've also noticed a bug that I don't think has been reported. Playing Washington, I've had a weird LT to RT switching problem in the offseason. After I traded Samuels because of a salary cap crunch in season 3, the scout (I assume) automatically switched RT Jansen to LT in the offseason. The problem is that the switch gutted his ratings and made him a useless, overpaid player that I had to cut. I thought it was odd, but continued playing. The next season, the exact same thing happened with my great RT. He was switched to LT in the offseason and became horrible. And I don't mean that either of them just lost red bar; they lost all green and there red shrunk to around 3 in run and pass blocking.

Anyway, the game is great, but those are my ideas for now.

John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
John Galt
Pro Starter

dola, one more thing I thought of. This requires a bit more work, I think, but I think it would be great if some sort of salary option scenario (like for draft picks) existed for free agents. Every default contract is soooooo heavily backloaded and light in the first year, that I never do anything close to default.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
KWhit
Coordinator

Re: Little things I'd like to see in FOF2K4

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt

3) I'd love it if the "lock" was not overridden by scouts determine depth chart. I understand that the system as designed doesn't work that way (as QS made quite clear), but I don't see a good reason why it shouldn't work that way. I'm happy letting my scout decide a large portion of my depth chart assignments, but I want to make sure some rookies get time that the scout doesn't like. I can't think of a drawback to this proposed system.

I agree so hard my back hurts.

I would really like to see this.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Quote:
2) I think it would be great if the 4 depth charts were linked with buttons (or at least a "next" and "previous" button). I just find it tedious to have to go through 4 different window close and opens to set my lineup. It would also be nice if the gameplans had some "next" or "previous" buttons.

Yes yes. I echo this whole heartedly - this would be a very user-friendly option, and it would save a whole lot of clikcing every week.

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #5
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Re: Re: Little things I'd like to see in FOF2K4

Quote:
Originally posted by CubsFan915
Yes yes. I echo this whole heartedly - this would be a very user-friendly option, and it would save a whole lot of clikcing every week.

especially on the game plans.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

In TCY there were issues with having tabbed game plans. That's why they aren't in this version. Not sure about a "next" and "previous" button - that might work.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
petrochile
H.S. Freshman Team

Re: Re: Little things I'd like to see in FOF2K4

Quote:
Originally posted by CubsFan915

I echo JG and CF on this also.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:

I second this as well. A setting in the global option pages entitled "let scout recommend depth chart before each game" would be great.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:10 PM   #9
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The drawback is programmatic. Couldn't be done without rendering saved games unusable.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:15 PM   #10
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
The drawback is programmatic. Couldn't be done without rendering saved games unusable.

Well, that's a bad drawback. Damn it. Count me in as one of those who would like to see the change even if it screws with the saved games (but I understand that most won't agree). Maybe, if you find another change that screws up the saved games, you could consider implementing this one as well. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:11 PM   #11
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Something along these lines is in the game plans. Take the run frequency matrix. In older versions, if you updated a number and clicked on another block, it would recalc the matrix on the fly. Now, you have to click OK, exit out and come back in to see the updated numbers. It would be nice to see that back.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #12
amdaily
College Prospect

One last thing which I personally rank up there near the top - an injury log. Would be of emense help when making personsel moves.

Last edited by amdaily : 11-22-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #13
amdaily
College Prospect

Dola,

On the coaching/scout screen as well as the QB comparison screen there should be a button where we can toggle whether or not retired players/coaches are viewable. Don't know about you guys, but in 2029 my coaching list is huge with much of it retired.

Secondly,

Retired players should have their last known rating shown ala OOTP. Just helps you to know if a guy retired at the top of his game, or after years of decline.

Last edited by amdaily : 11-22-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:51 AM   #14
jamesUMD
High School JV

The ability to edit the coach's and scouts so that I can put the real-life counterparts in the game. I like taking the cellar-dwellers and bringing them out of decades of futility. It doesn't work when I start a new game and the random scout generated for say the Bengals, looks like Ron Wolf, and the randomly generated coaching staff looks like they have Vince Lombardi, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Walsh as the coaches. Let me determine who the "haves and have nots are in my league", not some random process.

Please, please!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #15
The_herd
College Starter

I would like to see a page in the preseason that summarizes each teams offseason transactions separately. Its more than a bit tedious to go through all the stuff in the transactions log and try and keep the moves made by each team straight.