Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2003, 05:10 AM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Angry A most spectacular bust

Coming off our Front Office Bowl season, we went into the draft with an always present need for young talent.

My scouts pointed out a CB from Penn State that might be a decent backup, with potential to grow into a solid regular (28/58 I think his ratings were, or something like that). It was kind of a weak draft, so we picked him with the last pick of the first round.

The good news is he signed right away. The bad news is he turned into this:

Needless to say my scouting staff (who is allegedly very good at judging secondary personnel and average at judging young talent) will not be retained for next season.

This idiot judges out at a 14/31, which is worse than any number of 1st and 2nd year free agents I could pick up for peanuts. I should cut him, but might keep him around for laughs.

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 11-21-2003 at 05:12 AM.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:33 AM   #2
azjoe_02
High School JV

That is terrible, I too would fire the staff, unless thay have really good ratings and have picked some good ones for me before.
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:40 AM   #3
SnowMan
High School Varsity

DOH
Good to see that even with an avg Volatility rating, guys can crap out like that. Keeps it ineteresting.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:58 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Maybe it's the name, because I just had a similar experience.

I had the 28th pick overall. After a decent season (thanks to loading up on free agents), I had no real pressing need for the draft. There was a top rated wide receiver available. Looked very promising (don't have the numbers on hand). I hemmed and hawed and decided that I might as well pick him up as I three of my receivers were entering the final years of their contracts and at least two would not be re-signed.

First, the draft pick refuses to sign. He sits out all of training camp and the first two pre-season games. He finally signs and then, to quote Kurtz... "The horror... The horror..."

The guy is a complete bust. 99.5% bust. His red and green bars were under 10 for EVERY FREAKIN' skill except one. Route Running. Though he can't run a route to save his life at the moment, there's a possibility that in the future he'll be one of the best route runners in the league. Not for my team he wont.

We kept him on board for depht, but his ass is getting cut next year. A complete waste of a pick. A new scout is in order.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:52 AM   #5
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowMan
DOH
Good to see that even with an avg Volatility rating, guys can crap out like that. Keeps it ineteresting.
I think this is VERY important to note, particularly for those who have expressed concern about the presence of the Volatility rating. Low volatility does not guarantee that a guy will pan out, and neither does high volatility guarantee that a guy will break out or bust. The former is a safer, but not "safe" pick. The more I've thought about it, the more I think this mirrors real life. There are guys who have "good" intangibles and "bad" intangibles going into the draft. Some teams will shy away from the guys with "bad" intangibles, particularly with the top few picks of the draft. We're probably gonna see the same thing in FOF 2004. Works for me.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:53 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

No underline Blue:

Your problem is obvious. Terrance Keith hates that wimpy pink color you're using.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:53 AM   #7
henry296
College Starter

I still don't like the fact that guys bust immediately after their first training camp without playing a single down.

Todd
Old 11-21-2003, 07:55 AM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

Deceptive title
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:02 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
I still don't like the fact that guys bust immediately after their first training camp without playing a single down.

Todd
That isn't the only way busts happen. Sometimes it is revealed over a few years. I like the variety. the "bust-at-first-training" camp to me mirrors the head cases and the guys that show up 40 pounds overweight to their first camp.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #10
henry296
College Starter

SkyDog,

I realize it isn't the only way anymore, but I don't think after Training Camp should be one of the times for a complete bust. It should be a gradual shift and more retrospective than forward looking.

Todd
Old 11-21-2003, 09:02 AM   #11
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
SkyDog,

I realize it isn't the only way anymore, but I don't think after Training Camp should be one of the times for a complete bust. It should be a gradual shift and more retrospective than forward looking.

Todd

Think of those training camp busts as the Demetrius Underwoods of the NFL.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #12
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Think of those training camp busts as the Demetrius Underwoods of the NFL.

And I'm sure there are other "busts" that aren't as publicized. They don't have to go nuts to be an immediate bust. You just notice that some players just never get much playing time after being picked so high. I think that is a good sign that the player is a "bust" and the coaching staff is just praying for a miracle.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think you should fire whomever picked out your color scheme.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Ted Gregory.

1rst round pick of the Broncos in 88. A man named Thurman Thomas was still on the board. I was SCREAMING at the TV telling the Broncos to pick him. I've never been so upset after a draft. (and that's saying a lot because my Nuggets took RAEF LAFRENZ)

Anyway, Gregory was traded two weeks into training camp to the Saints for a scrub DE. Both were out of the NFL by the end of the year. To add insult to injury, the only sack Ted Gregory ever got in the NFL came against the Broncos.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I only go after volatilities of 20 and under (under 10 and I dance a happy-dance). I don't always get the "best pick of the moment" but I am far more happy with the results in the end.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I think you should fire whomever picked out your color scheme.

I think that would be Queen Frostine.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #17
Daimyo
College Starter

Do you know what the guys combine scores were? Was there anything out of whack (like a terrible 40 score, really bad agility, etc) that could have tipped off that he sucked?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

Like several others here, I like the fact that this is possible (but not very common) in the game. We have immediate busts/booms, gradual ones, and everything in between. Very nice balance IMO.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:10 PM   #19
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Do you know what the guys combine scores were? Was there anything out of whack (like a terrible 40 score, really bad agility, etc) that could have tipped off that he sucked?

I don't think there was anything out of ordinary with his combine scores, but I can neither recall nor access them to be sure.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:24 PM   #20
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Ted Gregory.

1rst round pick of the Broncos in 88. A man named Thurman Thomas was still on the board. I was SCREAMING at the TV telling the Broncos to pick him. I've never been so upset after a draft. (and that's saying a lot because my Nuggets took RAEF LAFRENZ)

Anyway, Gregory was traded two weeks into training camp to the Saints for a scrub DE. Both were out of the NFL by the end of the year. To add insult to injury, the only sack Ted Gregory ever got in the NFL came against the Broncos.

But, he stills counts as an SU first rounder. Woot!

EDIT: You know, I popped into this thread expecting a Pam Anderson link.

Last edited by Samdari : 11-21-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #21
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

For those of you who are still interested, Terrance Keith, aka "The Idiot", got some playing time as all of our other corners were nicked up at one time or another. He played in 10 games with one start (over my head, I swear!). He had 17 tackles, 5 assists, a blocked pass, 4 defensed passes, and a forced fumble. Typical performance for a 4th corner on one of my teams. His actual rating improved two points, to 16. It's not going to save him.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:57 PM   #22
FBPro
College Starter

I'm still looking for the "spectacular bust"
Old 11-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #23
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
And I'm sure there are other "busts" that aren't as publicized. They don't have to go nuts to be an immediate bust. You just notice that some players just never get much playing time after being picked so high. I think that is a good sign that the player is a "bust" and the coaching staff is just praying for a miracle.

Packers DE Jamal Reynolds comes to mind.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:39 AM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

DE Bryan Thomas of the Jets was never going to be a first round caliber player the instant he stepped on the practice field.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:42 AM   #25
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Hmm. With a title like that, you'd think there'd be pictures of breasteses.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:49 AM   #26
Huckleberry
College Starter

That guy in the first post on the thread looks like an awesome dime back to be used only in loose man or zone coverage in incredibly obvious passing situations. Or a prevent back.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:01 AM   #27
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WussGawd
Hmm. With a title like that, you'd think there'd be pictures of breasteses.

Bingo, still waiting
Old 11-22-2003, 10:55 AM   #28
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I think that would be Queen Frostine.

somebody has young children.....
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro
I'm still looking for the "spectacular bust"

I was gonna post that picture of Cringer's wife in here but he took it down...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:28 PM   #30
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Huckleberry
That guy in the first post on the thread looks like an awesome dime back to be used only in loose man or zone coverage in incredibly obvious passing situations. Or a prevent back.

True enough, though I think "awesome" is an overstatement. He'd be more useful if I were actually calling the defenses game by game.

He's still not worth a first round pick.