Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #201
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
6/16 = 37.5% ; 24/82 = 29% ... That seems to be the same ballpark. Now, if you want to go after the Hornets and think they should impose additional discipline or cut him, go for it. But let's be honest, unless there's video nobody cares about Jeff Taylor. Now this Dwight Howard situation... Maybe that'll blow up.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #202
korme
Go Reds

Kevin Love is just not getting any late game (or many regular game) touches. And I'm hating it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #203
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Woohoo. Lakers win back to back!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #204
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Kevin Love is just not getting any late game (or many regular game) touches. And I'm hating it.

The pick-and-pop with Kyrie/Lebron and Love just hasn't been happening anywhere near as much as it needs to be, but even outside of that they aren't getting him the ball in the post nearly enough. Love is not out there for his defense, and if he's not grabbing 14 rebounds and putting up 20 shots then he is a negative on the court IMO, because outside of a couple of nice outlet passes each game he really doesn't contribute much else.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
6/16 = 37.5% ; 24/82 = 29% ... That seems to be the same ballpark. Now, if you want to go after the Hornets and think they should impose additional discipline or cut him, go for it. But let's be honest, unless there's video nobody cares about Jeff Taylor. Now this Dwight Howard situation... Maybe that'll blow up.

Royce Reed is trash. That kid could be a monster
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #206
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Woohoo. Lakers win back to back!

Swaggy P is 2-0!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #207
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The pick-and-pop with Kyrie/Lebron and Love just hasn't been happening anywhere near as much as it needs to be, but even outside of that they aren't getting him the ball in the post nearly enough. Love is not out there for his defense, and if he's not grabbing 14 rebounds and putting up 20 shots then he is a negative on the court IMO, because outside of a couple of nice outlet passes each game he really doesn't contribute much else.

The lack of touches in the low post would concern me the most. From what I can tell, the offense that they are running will get him the the three point opportunities he likes. It seems like Kyrie is the guy they want to drive and kick out to the open guys and at some point Lebron will get involved in that role as well . I don't know if Blatt wants Love setting up in a traditional post position or if he is expected to catch the ball in the post on the move like Varejao was doing last night. Either way, Love can't find himself stuck at the arc.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #208
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love that this Love thing is struggling to work out. Should have kept those Canadians, 'Bron!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #209
miami_fan
Coordinator

Question for Cav fans. What happened to Lebron's post game? Last night, I don't remember him being in the post once. That was an important part of his game over the last three years.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #210
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Question for Cav fans. What happened to Lebron's post game? Last night, I don't remember him being in the post once. That was an important part of his game over the last three years.

He's made it clear he doesn't enjoy being in the post. Consider he is the defacto head coach and GM, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #211
whomario
Pro Starter

nice moment in the raptors-grizzlies game with the Raptors and the general crowd deciding to bury the hatchet and outcheering the (reflexive) booing guys, giving him a standing ovation.

also, the Bucks are fun to watch and a perfectly decent team at the same time. (but boy, was that a ridiculous miss by Knight at the end of OT1)

Dirk hit a huge shot after rolling his ankle, the Wolves manage to get a win without Rubio.

Thunder now 3-10, the hole is getting deeper for them to climb out with Durant/Westbrook back. This team is not at all equipped to play without those guys. It´s not a lack of quality (at least not exclusively) but a lack of any sort of playmaking on the floor or an ability to get by the defender or back someone down to draw help. It´s basically like a mid major college team only if you had very few decent passers. And Brooks has been trying a lot of stuff to mask those deficiencies and get guys open shots somehow.

Knicks also at 3-10, Kings also coming back to earth after the hot start.

A certain team is at 0-11 with a -16.4 point differential.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #212
korme
Go Reds

Scary moment when The Greek Freak rolled his ankle last night, but he was able to get back in there and play immediately.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #213
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

My wife was part of a youth dinner event with the Warriors. She shared the table with Steve Kerr, whom she loved.

Her biggest take away though was how genuine and engaged the players were with the kids. She said they were silly and patient and super fun. Everything from making balloon hats to playing chess to dishing out gravy (Curry).

She even knew that the Warriors have a huge motive to be present and positive in SF (to keep their stadium hopes alive). But she has done events with the Giants and 49ers and said this was by far the best group.

It's obvious that the NBA has great guys and leaders, hope this becomes the new normal.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #214
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

He's done it a little bit overall, but less than last year no doubt. The weight loss has hit that aspect of his game big time.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #215
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

NBPA head Michele Roberts says union ready to appeal Charlotte Hornets' Jeff Taylor's 24-game suspension - ESPN
Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #216
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
My wife was part of a youth dinner event with the Warriors. She shared the table with Steve Kerr, whom she loved.

Her biggest take away though was how genuine and engaged the players were with the kids. She said they were silly and patient and super fun. Everything from making balloon hats to playing chess to dishing out gravy (Curry).

She even knew that the Warriors have a huge motive to be present and positive in SF (to keep their stadium hopes alive). But she has done events with the Giants and 49ers and said this was by far the best group.

It's obvious that the NBA has great guys and leaders, hope this becomes the new normal.

That's awesome to hear. As a bay area sports fan, I've heard a lot of this recently, mostly about the Warriors and the Giants. Not so much about the 49ers, unfortunately.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #217
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN doesn't even list the Cavs/Raptors game on the schedule and links to an older game from their front page even though the text seems current. Why would LeBron be sitting the last 6:20 as well? There is no talk of an injury.

Toronto Raptors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers - Recap - March 25, 2014 - ESPN
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #218
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is there something off in general with ESPN's scoreboards? I'm not seeing the scores for the Auburn or Miss St games either.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #219
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ok...admittedly worried now.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #220
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Anthony Davis is wrecking the parity in my fantasy leagues. Hahaha. Such a beast.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #221
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ok...admittedly worried now.

I still don't see a need to worry. One thing has become clear to me. If Lebron is not going to be the point forward for this team, then Kyrie is going to have to change his role to look more like the one Chris Paul plays for the Clippers. This will take time since Kyrie has spent the first three years of his career learning how to run pro offenses at the feet of Byron Scott and Mike Brown.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #222
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm worried. The Cavs problem right now isn't really Kyrie. Outside of the odd 1-and-done possessions, he has looked pretty good since the first couple of games. The problems as I see them, ranked in order of horribleness:

1) Interior defense by Kevin Love. He is really, really bad on this end of the court, and shows zero effort once a guy gets to the basket. At that point, Love seems more interested in grabbing the ball out of the net and looking for a transition pass from the inbound. If Love is not putting up video game numbers, he is a minus player on the court.

2) Dion Waiters. This was Waiters big chance to shine, and he's messed it up with his selfish play. Moving him to the bench has just made him think he needs to get up as many shots as possible and every time he has the ball on the break with numbers he looks to score rather than find the teammate with the open layup. Marion is not the answer, and I'd be calling the TWolves back and trying to swap Waiters for Brewer.

3) LeBron James. 24.7PPG, 5.9RPG and 6.8APG aren't his best numbers, but if you only check the boxscores they are still pretty good. If you watch the games, I just don't know what is up with LeBron. Turnovers are up, steals are down, he is coasting through games on both ends of the court - even the games where he's put up good scoring numbers, he's doing it with fadeaway jumpers. I've seen him miss more layups in the first handful of games than seemingly the rest of his career combined. I understand if he wants to make a point on the offensive end, but he needs to lead by example on defense, because he is the only perimeter defender they have.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #223
nol
Banned

The Thunder's long climb back into the playoff picture began yesterday as Westbrook got back and was electric.

Charlotte, last year's poster team for "see, they're doing it so much better without tanking" has followed up its 8 seed first round sweep with a 4-14 start. Not the most cap-friendly payroll either.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:29 AM   #224
whomario
Pro Starter

Adding stephenson to a roster depending on 2 guys relying on spacing and needing the ball all the time was kind of transparently cringe worthy...

Marc gasol is having a Monster year, guy looks 8 feet tall out there, controlling play in both ends.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #225
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know it is early but how the hell are the Pacers only 3 games under .500? No Paul George, David West has only played two games and guys named Lavoy Allen, Donald Sloan and Solomon Hill leading the team in rebounds, assists and steals. Great coaching job by Frank Vogel.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #226
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

That, and the East is awful.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #227
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
That, and the East is awful.

True, but it was awful when people were expecting the Pacers to battle the Celtics for the second worst record in the East behind the Sixers.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #228
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Kobe had his 20th triple double in the Lakers win over Toronto. In the process he becomes the first player with 30,000 points and 6,000 assists.

Snickered at the various comments around such as 'I'm sure he regrets all 6,000 of them' and 'it's only 4.5 per game'. For a guy that scores as much as he does, that's still pretty darn good(Jordan had 5.3 but well, that why he was MJ and Kobe's not).

Not a Kobe fan but an impressive accomplishment. Also, is it really possible that the six best teams in the NBA are all in the West? I mean, really? I thought last year was bad enough, the split might be even worse this year.

Took a look at the numbers for OKC after tonight's standings. At current paces they would need to go 42-23 the rest of the way to make the West playoffs(this assumes none of the top teams fall off a ton and also that nobody in the Phoenix/Sac/Denver range has a major hot streak).

Right now I'd say 60/40 they make it. You know all the top teams, espescially SA, are going to go all out to beat them every chance they get to keep them out.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #229
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Durant and Westbrook both back. Should be a long road back to .500 but as long as they get there by about game 40 I imagine they'll be ok.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #230
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I was wondering if someone is crazy enough to trade for DRose. Obviously Sac immediately comes to mind. I wonder if the Lakers would be, too.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #231
miami_fan
Coordinator

SIXERS WIN!!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #232
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
SIXERS WIN!!!!

What? NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #233
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
What? NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!!!

It was the most Timberwolves game ever. Start by going towards the wrong basket and finish by losing to an 0-17 team.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #234
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just glad it wasn't the Pistons. You know, the team not trying to obviously tank and yet only two games ahead of Philly.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #235
miami_fan
Coordinator

Advice to Carmelo: Don't you dare look at your stat sheet during a timeout. It will not be looked upon as fondly as it just was.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-04-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #236
miami_fan
Coordinator

Kevin Love can't get a call for anything.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-04-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #237
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Totally not worried again. Feel like the opportunity to trade Waiters and some luggage for more manageable depth guys will be there at some point. Problem is that I'm not sure that the exact trade we need will be there. The Tanker/non-tanker lines are pretty laid out.

Last edited by stevew : 12-05-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #238
Groundhog
Coordinator

If I were Durant, this is the type of thing that would drive me absolutely nuts.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, we'll see how tonight goes but this Cavs team is quickly turning into a machine.

Last edited by stevew : 12-09-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, we'll see how tonight goes but this Cavs team is quickly turning into a machine.

Apparently very quickly, given you guys were complaining about them just, what, 3-4 days ago? lol

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #241
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, they need to get some Ws against quality Western conference teams before I get too excited, but the starters are playing well together. Offense looks better, but same issues exist on D long-term.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #242
kingfc22
Head Coach

Warriors are 18-2 and only 3 games ahead of 7th place.

The West is ridiculous.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #243
lungs
Pro Rookie

This is the longest I've made it into the season without giving up on the Bucks. Nowhere near an elite team, they can at least win a few games against Eastern Conference opponents and they are entertaining to watch still.

It's been a long, long, time since anybody gave a damn about them in Wisconsin but they are getting people to watch them on TV at least. New ownership, new arena hopefully coming, I guess Seattle may have to look elsewhere to poach a team?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #244
Groundhog
Coordinator

Bucks are a fun team to watch. Parker is up and down, but the Greek Freak has at least one crazy highlight per game, and Knight has been better than I think anyone probably expected.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #245
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Bucks are a fun team to watch. Parker is up and down, but the Greek Freak has at least one crazy highlight per game, and Knight has been better than I think anyone probably expected.

Yep, that's about right. Knight has some frustrating moments but I'd still take him over Brandon Jennings.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #246
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
This is the longest I've made it into the season without giving up on the Bucks. Nowhere near an elite team, they can at least win a few games against Eastern Conference opponents and they are entertaining to watch still.

It's been a long, long, time since anybody gave a damn about them in Wisconsin but they are getting people to watch them on TV at least. New ownership, new arena hopefully coming, I guess Seattle may have to look elsewhere to poach a team?

Pretty much how I feel about the Celtics, the blown leads have been maddening, but I am connected to these guys (save a few). I said it before, but this feels like the Pierce/Al Jeff/Tony Allen/Delonte West team - you know Danny is going to completely turn over half the roster at some point, but they're fun to watch now.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #247
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Raptors are a fraud.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #248
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The Raptors are a fraud.
Does anyone really consider them contenders?

Plus, to be fair, they're missing their 2nd best player.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #249
Groundhog
Coordinator

Pretty bad finish for the Raps tonight. They kinda remind me of the Joe Johnson-era Hawks - ugly to watch, but they'll pick up wins in the regular season and then not do much come playoffs.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #250
Groundhog
Coordinator

Outside of a couple (literally) good games in November, Trey Burke is not looking like much of a starting-quality PG.