Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #101
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Amazing race by a great horse. Ran outside the whole way at Churchill, then won by wide margins at the Preakness and Belmont. Ran the 6th fastest time ever at the Belmont, only 2.5 seconds off of Secretariat's record run, even with the rather pedestrian times for the first half-mile.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-06-2015 at 08:56 PM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #102
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ran the 6th fastest time ever at the Belmont, only 2.5 seconds off of Secretariat's record run, even with the rather pedestrian times for the first half-mile.
The fact that AP set an average pace plus the fact that he wasn't pressured on a track that was playing very fast actually contributed to his fast time. Wedding Toast set a stakes record in the Phipps, Honor Code ran the 6th fastest Met Mile, March ran the 5th fastest Woody Stephens... Plus Coach Inge ran his 12f with a faster final 1/4 than AP --23.96 to 24.32. And Coach Inge was passed in the stretch and came back to win. Who is Coach Inge? Exactly.

So while people are all abuzz about AP I just think that things set up well for him, and he's the best of a mediocre class. He did run through his pedigree, though, I'll give him that.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #103
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Happy to see this, since the last one I witnessed was on my daddy's knee.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #104
BillyNYC
High School JV

Was at Belmont today, after attending last year for the first time.

The pure mass euphoria in the grandstand was something truly memorable. After I spent most of the previous few hours cursing everyone under my breath (an abundance of the stereotypical drunk fratboy types; someone brought hummus, which made its way to the ground and onto everyone's feet and pants; etc, etc, etc), there was nothing but goodwill. Everyone smiling, cheering, many jumping up and down. No one caring about their bets (much).

Last year, after the race, most of the crowd left very quickly. Today, a large portion stayed, just soaking it all in. (I'm doubting many cared about the 2 races remaining on the card, nor the Goo Goo Dolls concert later).

Very happy to have experienced it live.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #105
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post

The pure mass euphoria in the grandstand was something truly memorable. After I spent most of the previous few hours cursing everyone under my breath (an abundance of the stereotypical drunk fratboy types; someone brought hummus, which made its way to the ground and onto everyone's feet and pants; etc, etc, etc), there was nothing but goodwill. Everyone smiling, cheering, many jumping up and down. No one caring about their bets (much).

Last year, after the race, most of the crowd left very quickly. Today, a large portion stayed, just soaking it all in. (I'm doubting many cared about the 2 races remaining on the card, nor the Goo Goo Dolls concert later).

They have races afterwards? "Okay, folks, Mayweather has just beaten Pacquiao, now stay in your seats....we've got two up and coming bantamweights to whet your whistle"
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #106
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post

Agree with most of this, myself. The crowds were absolutely deafening down the stretch and at the finish. It was worth the time and travel to have been there. Really fun sports event to witness live. (That hummus was pretty good, too)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #107
QuikSand
lolzcat

I didn't hit the race as hard as Murayyyyy but did manage the triple a couple of times, and came out ahead for the race. I'm not in any hurry to throw water on the great accomplishment, but I do agree that the slow early pace set things up perfectly for AP. After they posted that half mile time, I yelled at my friend "well, all that's left is whether his pedigree catches up with him...no other horse will." Much like the Derby.

My betting syndicate ended up with a pretty big day despite the chalky feature - we wrapped up with the pick 4 and multiple hits on the pick 3 ending with the Belmont Stakes, and we ended up substantially ahead for the three race effort. Given that we were not really heavy chalk, and AP didn't pay much in any of the three races, that's a key achievement. I didn't have anything to do with hitting the Manhattan winner at 14-1, but I helped us key on the the two winners, neither of whom were favorites.

And out of the blue, as we decided to wait for traffic to die down, my friend and I just crushed the puny race that ran an hour after the Belmont. He managed to scatter his tickets to avoid the IRS window (just barely) but that was a great way to end the day on a good note.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #108
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
They have races afterwards? "Okay, folks, Mayweather has just beaten Pacquiao, now stay in your seats....we've got two up and coming bantamweights to whet your whistle"
The bantamweights would likely have been better fights.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #109
weegeebored
High School Varsity

The early BSFs are out. (I say early because Beyer and his figure makers have been known to adjust the figs after the fact.)

AP:105
Coach Inge (whose previous two races were OCL): 102

The latter had a much tougher time of it. I'm not ready to induct AP into the HoF. I only wish that winning the TC would have a positive impact on the sport, but it won't. I don't think we will see new players getting into the game because of it.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #110
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
The early BSFs are out. (I say early because Beyer and his figure makers have been known to adjust the figs after the fact.)

AP:105
Coach Inge (whose previous two races were OCL): 102

The latter had a much tougher time of it. I'm not ready to induct AP into the HoF. I only wish that winning the TC would have a positive impact on the sport, but it won't. I don't think we will see new players getting into the game because of it.

I just don't understand the disappointment. My triple crown history is weak but has any other horse won his triple crown against a bigger field? I think 2 of them were in 8 horse fields also and the rest were smaller. He ran against a well rested field and still won easily. Sad part is I think he still had more in the tank if he needed it yesterday.

Will it take a win @ Classic in October to get any credit(not picking on you, I just see this reaction a lot)? A year ago we heard everyone say it can never happen because people enjoy the spoiler role more than in the past.

Also I don't think anything will bring the horse racing back.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #111
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I didn't hit the race as hard as Murayyyyy but did

When I heard the 6 say they had planned on breaking harder than most assumed I felt really good about the Super I placed. When they kept the 8 three wide I knew he was done. Frosted did AP a big favor.Disappointed the 8 didn't get more money but this race seemed to easy to handicap up top.

Of course to get my 5 year old to stay still I had him repeating before the race "green, black, no pink". He kept reminding me that I had orange, pink in the last race(because he likes to jinx my bets). Is it wrong for a 5 year old to remember the silks from the triple crown races?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #112
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Will it take a win @ Classic in October to get any credit(not picking on you, I just see this reaction a lot)?
He won't race as a 4yo so I'll wait to see what race(s) he will run in. But yeah, if he wins the Classic then he would rank up there as one of the best 3 year olds of all time. It will be hard to compare him with the all-time greats as he won't run nearly as many races as Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Secretariat, etc.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #113
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Playing favs while killing off the 8. Super 56,56,12347,12347.

The more i look at the 8 the more i think he has no shot.

Should've listened to you. I went 5-6-7-8.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #114
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I didn't hit the race as hard as Murayyyyy but did manage the triple a couple of times, and came out ahead for the race. I'm not in any hurry to throw water on the great accomplishment, but I do agree that the slow early pace set things up perfectly for AP. After they posted that half mile time, I yelled at my friend "well, all that's left is whether his pedigree catches up with him...no other horse will." Much like the Derby.

My betting syndicate ended up with a pretty big day despite the chalky feature - we wrapped up with the pick 4 and multiple hits on the pick 3 ending with the Belmont Stakes, and we ended up substantially ahead for the three race effort. Given that we were not really heavy chalk, and AP didn't pay much in any of the three races, that's a key achievement. I didn't have anything to do with hitting the Manhattan winner at 14-1, but I helped us key on the the two winners, neither of whom were favorites.

And out of the blue, as we decided to wait for traffic to die down, my friend and I just crushed the puny race that ran an hour after the Belmont. He managed to scatter his tickets to avoid the IRS window (just barely) but that was a great way to end the day on a good note.

I didn't bet much at all on the race. Didn't like 3/5 but didn't know who could beat him........ Friday I lost 3 races in a photo finish that would have paid great but still ended up for the day......... I took my gf to see mad max when it came out, told her I was going to leave to watch honor code run. I did, he finished pretty badly that day. I read some write ups about last years belmont winner tonalist and looked at him and decided he was my best bet of the day. Looked at honor code and thought if he beats me good for him, he did. I knew I couldn't win much on american pharoah betting win money so I looked at the race before. I looked at the favorites but I was scared of the 7. The weight break, liking belmont, and liking the distance. Really couldn't separate any of the horses that were the favorites and slumber looked good in his previous start at belmont. Like way better than his other starts. Scared me, so I bet him and won a good chunk on him........ Felt a little dumb for not having honor code figuring it would be a fast pace and him being a dead closer, why I like watching him. He didn't have a great setup like he did belmont day. Inspired me to look at the program for over 30 minutes and be less dumb. Figured I'd lose on slumber but he looked like the value.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote