Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #1851
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
so rivers gets over 20M a year, and the most guaranteed of any player in the NFL? would he get than in FA? I mean... hes 33 and not all that great.
We can debate exactly where he fits between #6-#16, but he's clearly a top-half QB you can win a super bowl with, and those are worth $20m. Somewhere near that level with Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, a tier above the Andy Dalton's of the world.

It also depends how they structured the contract... If the $60m guarantee is mostly signing bonus, they're dumb, but if it's yearly roster bonuses that protects them against age-related decline and injury it's almost certainly smart. Remember how shocking Kaepernick's contract was until the structure came out?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-16-2015 at 02:21 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #1852
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
We can debate exactly where he fits between #6-#16, but he's clearly a top-half QB you can win a super bowl with, and those are worth $20m. Somewhere near that level with Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, a tier above the Andy Dalton's of the world.

It also depends how they structured the contract... If the $60m guarantee is mostly signing bonus, they're dumb, but if it's yearly roster bonuses that protects them against age-related decline and injury it's almost certainly smart. Remember how shocking Kaepernick's contract was until the structure came out?

very true. I would gladly trade him for Dalton... QB numbers are just insane

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #1853
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
very true. I would gladly trade him for Dalton... QB numbers are just insane

Wait until we see what Luck's contract will be for. He can practically ask for whatever he wants, maybe a fully guaranteed contract. What choice does Indy have? Imagine what he'd make as a free agent.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #1854
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, based on what I saw today...

Tebow is still not an NFL quarterback.
Sanchez was awful.
Barkley looked pretty good.

(so basically my hope for a good season depends on Bradford staying healthy)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #1855
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

(so basically my hope for a good season depends on Bradford staying healthy)

Good luck with that.

I hope he does.. I'd like to see him play a full season.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #1856
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The case for Bradford also requires, in addition to health, the notion that the Rams misused him. His statistics are not on par with what you'd expect for a veteran expected to start games.

Yet he's obviously impressive enough in workouts that he commands starter money.

Rivers is the opposite. The only thing he hasn't done well is win in the playoffs. How much of that is random and how much of that is Rivers?

My looks into what happens when teams with very different regular-season records meet in the playoffs makes me think more is random than most people would like to believe. The difference between great and nearly-great is very small in the NFL.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #1857
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Good luck with that.

I hope he does.. I'd like to see him play a full season.

I hear people are writing the pope and asking him to bless Bradfords kness on his visit to Philly. So they have that going for them.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #1858
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I hear people are writing the pope and asking him to bless Bradfords kness on his visit to Philly. So they have that going for them.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #1859
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I've been hearing good things about Bradford out of camp. Hopefully it means he will work in Kelly's system if he stays healthy. The key things that I keep hearing are that he delivers quickly and accurately, important for this system.

Tebow was a joke. He had some good looking throws very early on but in reality that was because the primary receiver was open and he threw it. Once his primary was covered he sucked at looking through his progression and would pull the ball down. Hopefully the Tebow sheep will shut up (in reality I hoped to be proven wrong and that he would work out but I saw nothing today to say that he is anything but what I expected).

I also saw really depressing results from Sanchez. He needed his receivers to be 15 feet tall to hit them. He was missing everyone.

Hopefully Barkley continues to improve and can become a valid backup. He made good reads and quick decisions and delivered a few nice balls today.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #1860
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: Tebow, from Chip Kelly

Eagles coach Chip Kelly pointed out that some of the problems Tebow experienced were a result of playing with third-team offensive linemen and wide receivers.

Quote:
"You have to look at who's in with who," Kelly said. "A different set of receivers was in when Tim was in, and a different line at times. A couple of those, you're wondering, 'why is he doing that?' Well, the receiver ran the wrong route. There were a couple of busts out there."
Old 08-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #1861
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Let's not forget that the defensive players who repeatedly sacked him weren't the undrafted roster filler we were led to believe. Okine alone accounts for 5.5 career sacks in the arena leagues.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #1862
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Let's not forget that the defensive players who repeatedly sacked him weren't the undrafted roster filler we were led to believe. Okine alone accounts for 5.5 career sacks in the arena leagues.

Good one.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #1863
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've been hearing good things about Bradford out of camp. Hopefully it means he will work in Kelly's system if he stays healthy. The key things that I keep hearing are that he delivers quickly and accurately, important for this system.

Tebow was a joke. He had some good looking throws very early on but in reality that was because the primary receiver was open and he threw it. Once his primary was covered he sucked at looking through his progression and would pull the ball down. Hopefully the Tebow sheep will shut up (in reality I hoped to be proven wrong and that he would work out but I saw nothing today to say that he is anything but what I expected).

I also saw really depressing results from Sanchez. He needed his receivers to be 15 feet tall to hit them. He was missing everyone.

Hopefully Barkley continues to improve and can become a valid backup. He made good reads and quick decisions and delivered a few nice balls today.

Sanchez was a master QB out there by making everyone think he was missing his throws on accident. But he showed everyone on that TD pass by making Toler think that he was going to overthrow that WR but really it was just to get Toler out of position.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #1864
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Looking at Sanchez again I am less depressed overall. The throws were bad, maybe he was too pumped up for the season? Maybe he had Tebowmania?

He seemed to be making the right reads and getting the ball out quickly. The throws can be corrected... I hope.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #1865
cuervo72
Head Coach

He's still Latino Rex. Which means he'll throw too many INT. Very much eager to see Bradford.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #1866
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm eager to see how the Eagles handle it when both of the OU boys go down with their regularly scheduled injury...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #1867
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm eager to see how the Eagles handle it when both of the OU boys go down with their regularly scheduled injury...

I would presume they would go with Sanchez and Matthews.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #1868
Easy Mac

Kelvin Benjamin carted off today
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #1869
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Kelvin Benjamin carted off today

sucks so hard. Looking at the video, it looks bad. No contact, and he grabs his knee immediately.

Whoever manages to invent some sort of knee brace that will prevent ligament tears will instantly become one of the most important people in the history of football.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #1870
Radii
Head Coach

Benjamin is done for the year.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #1871
Dutch
"Dutch"

That blows. On the bright side, the Bucs could win the division at 8-8.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #1872
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if the Panthers will be giving Reggie Wayne a call.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #1873
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ex-NFL QB Erik Kramer Wounded in Apparent Suicide Attempt - NBC News
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #1874
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Is the Bills/Browns the best ESPN can do for a national pre-season broadcast?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #1875
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Is the Bills/Browns the best ESPN can do for a national pre-season broadcast?

Johnny FUCKIN' Football!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #1876
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Johnny FUCKIN' Football!!

I'd rather watch Arena football.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #1877
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Lions are making RG3 look absolutely incompetent.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #1878
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And now Griffin is injured.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #1879
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Best QB in football.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #1880
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That sequence was laughable. Griffin dropped the ball and then fell down on top of it before he was even touched, then a dude kinda nudged him, he lost the ball, spent 10 minutes on the ground and came away with brain damage. He was getting hit every play previous, so I could imagine that he was actually concussed earlier:

SB Nation GIF on Twitter: "This is how RGIII's night ends. http://t.co/goGldIvtu6"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #1881
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Great FO article on Rivers

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Film Room: Philip Rivers

Quote:
Philip Rivers is the other quarterback of his generation. He's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, or Ben Roethlisberger, but that doesn't mean he's worse than them. Rivers' career has been subtly brilliant for a variety of reasons, but more important than any of those ancillary aspects is his subtlety on the field. He has built a fine career on doing spectacular things that are unspectacular to your typical onlooker. His subtle genius on the field is only matched by his brash insanity off of it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #1882
cuervo72
Head Coach

Jerome needs a lozenge.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #1883
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh, I was behind on my feed and the Ravens announcers said as much - at 8:15.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #1884
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Heh, I was behind on my feed and the Ravens announcers said as much - at 8:15.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #1885
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Bradford looked okay, got up from the hits which is what I wanted to see.

Sanchez looked as he should, a solid backup.

Barkley looked okay, not quite as good as last week but he looked like a solid three.

Tebow still looked lost. Gave up on receivers too soon, looked to run too soon on most, still winds up. He is not an NFL level quarterback. I wish they would end this experiment now so we can stop hearing all the sheep praise how "great" he is.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #1886
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish they would end this experiment now so we can stop hearing all the sheep praise how "great" he is.

It's okay. Us "sheep" are equally sick to fucking death of listening to self-appointed expert assholes bitch about him.

You're actually advocating keeping Sanchez on a roster, your football credibility is zero.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-23-2015 at 12:41 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #1887
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It's going to be a long year for the Colts defense if they even make Jay Cutler look good.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #1888
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's okay. Us "sheep" are equally sick to fucking death of listening to self-appointed expert assholes bitch about him.

You're actually advocating keeping Sanchez on a roster, your football credibility is zero.

Sanchez is Tom Brady in comparison to Tebow. I admire that he hasn't given up his dream, but he just doesn't have the tools.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #1889
cuervo72
Head Coach

If Tebow is going to succeed, it's going to be in a system like Kelly's, I think. But to run it successfully he'd still have to be able to deliver passes accurately and make a couple of reads, and I'm not sure if he can do that or not. There are too many times where receivers aren't open and he just looks lost. I'm also not sure that he's fast enough to really succeed as a running threat in the faster NFL. On some plays yes (even Foles managed to make gains occasionally), but not if it is going to be relied on. See what's happened with RGIII after a couple injuries. He hasn't been quite the same threat to run, so his passing ability has been very exposed.

Sanchez...yeah. Sometimes he will show flashes - the pass that was dropped by #45 or whatever (some TE or FB, don't know who he is yet; illegal contact called on the play anyway) was brilliantly thrown. But you just wait for the turnovers to come. He WILL do something stupid, you just don't know when. Which makes him a capable backup QB in an emergency, but not a guy who will reliably get you anywhere.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-23-2015 at 10:20 AM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #1890
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If you're trying to decide between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow for your roster, you're probably in a bad situation. But you have to take Sanchez. Yes, he'll throw some interceptions that leave you scratching your head. But he'll also make a lot of plays for you and he can get into a rhythm. When he's on, he can compete with the better defenses. There's also the argument that most of his career has been with quarterback-killer Rex Ryan (the same argument means Geno Smith is still employed). Sanchez is, at this point, probably an OK NFL backup.

Tebow, on the other hand, simply isn't accurate enough to be on an NFL roster. He makes terrible decisions. And he brings bajillions of fans who lose all objectivity when he's concerned, so you're always under pressure to start him.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #1891
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently the Patriots are showing some interest in Reggie Wayne, even giving him a physical.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #1892
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

By this logic, the entire NFL's credibility is zero, because Sanchez would make any roster in the league. Don't be daft.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #1893
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Tebow, on the other hand, simply isn't accurate enough to be on an NFL roster.

He'll win you more games than Sanchez.

Higher QBR, higher win %, sorry but I ain't buying the complaints on that comparison.

Do you have to play to his strengths? Yep ... same as most QBs.

I'd still take my chances with him on any given Sunday over close to half the QBs in the league. (And it's only under half because of his extended layoff).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-23-2015 at 02:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #1894
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

What are Tebows strengths? His slow lumber?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #1895
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Higher QBR, higher win %, sorry but I ain't buying the complaints on that comparison.

I'd still take my chances with him on any given Sunday over close to half the QBs in the league. (And it's only under half because of his extended layoff).

I think as a one-off, change of pace, Tebow can be effective from time to time. Let defensive coordinators prep for him week after week? I don't think he is very effective. In Denver, they won eight games, but their offensive output under Tebow was putrid.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #1896
SegRat
High School Varsity

Jordy Nelson tore his ACL.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #1897
Suicane75
Coordinator

That fucking sucks. Packers should still be very good but it effin sucks.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #1898
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

Dude...

If the Eagles weren't my team, I'd almost wish for Bradford & Sanchez to go down for the year just so we could get a full season of Tebow as a starting QB to finally shut ya'll up. I mean, he wouldn't make it 6 games, but I'd still like to close this case for good.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #1899
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You have lost any credibility with this post.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #1900
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

I find this fascinating. And I'm hardly a Sanchez supporter. He has five seasons of starter-level data and his average game score from my metric is 46 - solidly below average. He was at 52 last season, so there might be some credence in the argument that Rex Ryan is quarterback poison.

Tebow was at 44 for his one season as a starter. The big knock on Sanchez is all the turnovers. Tebow is close to average in that regard. But we haven't had a sub-50 pass-completer in the NFL in a long time. My research suggests incomplete passes are much more serious than most people think.

I also wonder what would happen if he were to start. He's basically a linebacker, so he can take some hits. But NFL defenses hit a lot harder than college defenses. Michigan tried this offense with Devin Gardner (big, tough, run-first, not really elusive, poor accuracy) for the last couple of seasons, and those hits add up a lot. His arm got worse and worse the more he got hit.

His instincts don't seem solid. A lot has been made of that play right before the TMW yesterday - he has a receiver so wide open in the end zone that you or I could make that throw every time. Yet he takes on all these linebackers and gets hammered at the 1. I don't think he can adjust to what he sees out there the way an NFL quarterback needs to adjust.

He's a football player, no doubt about it. But I think he's more a linebacker in terms of talent and ability.