Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #201
bhlloy
Coordinator

ESPN ticker says Raiders and Chargers?

Either way, the Chargers are very much going to be the odd team out and I wonder if it lasts. The Raiders have a huge LA fan base, the Rams still have some but the Chargers fans are mostly daytrippers from the OC - if they were the only team moving I'm sure it would work but with a team that already has an established base, I'm struggling to see where 80k fans a week is going to come from.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #202
MrBug708
Head Coach

I hope they change their names
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #203
bhlloy
Coordinator

If I was the NFL I'm not sure I wouldn't just move the Raiders, but sounds like they can't pony up the cash for the stadium by themselves. The Chargers will be the poor little sisters with either team and St. Louis is not a bad situation, Kroeneke with $$$$ signs in his eyes notwithstanding
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #204
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yep.. SD and Rams to Inglewood, it's all but confirmed. Oakland will get some sort of NFL money to get a stadium I'm guessing.

Two teams in my lifetime.. the NFL can go F themselves.

I'll continue to watch the Chiefs and this seasons playoffs, but next year just might be the time I move on and invest that time into other local sports.

No move Govenor's Cup.

Time to bring in a MLS team to fill that dome.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #205
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I saw hope the St. Louis tv execs operate differently than they did when the cardinals left. We got their games (and crappy NFC East games) for like five years. I don't care about the LA Rams or how their division opponents are doing please give me quality games over 49ers/Browns or Rams/Redskins.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I saw hope the St. Louis tv execs operate differently than they did when the cardinals left. We got their games (and crappy NFC East games) for like five years. I don't care about the LA Rams or how their division opponents are doing please give me quality games over 49ers/Browns or Rams/Redskins.

That isn't up to anyone in St.Louis. Those games are dictated by the league (or in conjunction with the league & the network(s) at the top level). Nobody in St. L would typically have input into that at all.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #207
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That isn't up to anyone in St.Louis. Those games are dictated by the league (or in conjunction with the league & the network(s) at the top level). Nobody in St. L would typically have input into that at all.

Even in the late 80's?

And what an even bigger fuck you from the league if they force feed us this product that they allowed to move away.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #208
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No move Govenor's Cup.

I would LOVE an MLS team!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Even in the late 80's?

And what an even bigger fuck you from the league if they force feed us this product that they allowed to move away.

That's always been true afaik. The least input of anyone on anything is nearly always the local affiliate.

I've known of a few cases (across more than one sport) where stations virtually begged for relief from the various rules to no avail.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #210
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The LA Rams are confirmed apparently, and the Chargers have the go-ahead to move as well. The NFL should take a portion of the relocation fees(possibly 500m+ from each) and then use that money to placate the Raiders into staying in the bay area/getting a new stadium in STL.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #211
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Sucks for St. Louis.

It is weird having the LA Rams again. Especially considering attendance was a big issue last time. Funny, I'm sitting here watching an LA Express game on YouTube and there's like 8,000 people there.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #212
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The LA Rams are confirmed apparently, and the Chargers have the go-ahead to move as well. The NFL should take a portion of the relocation fees(possibly 500m+ from each) and then use that money to placate the Raiders into staying in the bay area/getting a new stadium in STL.

And if I'm in StL or SD I turn around and sue the NFL for refusing to do the same for those teams.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #213
bhlloy
Coordinator

The real question here is how the fuck Mark Davis can have that much money and hair that looks like that
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #214
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And if I'm in StL or SD I turn around and sue the NFL for refusing to do the same for those teams.

How would there be a relocation fee if no team relocates?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #215
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The real question here is how the fuck Mark Davis can have that much money and hair that looks like that

I saw a story about him where they covered it. Basically, he's stubborn.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #216
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1
Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #217
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How would there be a relocation fee if no team relocates?

I'm saying if the NFL gives the Raiders stadium money to stay in Oakland, StL and SD should sue. Of course if OAK doesn't get money and can't move they'll sue, they may sue regardless. I'd expect this will be in the courts for quite a while.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #218
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think it was categorized as a loan
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 AM   #219
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
I would LOVE an MLS team!

Probably a better discussion for the Soccer Thread, but the chances for an MLS team in St. Louis in the next round of expansion just dropped significantly. St. Louis's chances were tied together with the new Rams Stadium (kind of like how Atlanta sold its new stadium on being an NFL and MLS stadium). They likely won't give it to St. Louis if they present the Dome as the team's home - at least not without significant renovations to it to make it more soccer ready.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #220
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Probably a better discussion for the Soccer Thread, but the chances for an MLS team in St. Louis in the next round of expansion just dropped significantly. St. Louis's chances were tied together with the new Rams Stadium (kind of like how Atlanta sold its new stadium on being an NFL and MLS stadium). They likely won't give it to St. Louis if they present the Dome as the team's home - at least not without significant renovations to it to make it more soccer ready.

I'm in the camp of building a new stadium for an MLS team.

That probably won't fly here.. but it's a nice dream of mine.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #221
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm in the camp of building a new stadium for an MLS team.

That probably won't fly here.. but it's a nice dream of mine.

The soccer-specific stadiums are a MUCH better experience. The new stadium here in KC is as good as some of the stadiums in Europe. You don't realize what you're missing until you go to a modern stadium that's built for soccer.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #222
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that depends... I'm sure Sounders fans aren't bemoaning any lack of 'experience' .

I guess one can retrofit the Dome as Vancouver did to theirs, but once again, the big stumbling block to an MLS team in St. Louis is a deep pocketed owner who wants to make an MLS team a reality.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #223
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Sucks for St. Louis.

It is weird having the LA Rams again. Especially considering attendance was a big issue last time. Funny, I'm sitting here watching an LA Express game on YouTube and there's like 8,000 people there.

It wasn't until the end that attendance became a huge issue last time. Through '89 at least, they were getting plenty of fans. In '90, I think they drew but they were bad. I do not remember how they fared from '91-'93 though.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #224
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well that depends... I'm sure Sounders fans aren't bemoaning any lack of 'experience' .

I guess one can retrofit the Dome as Vancouver did to theirs, but once again, the big stumbling block to an MLS team in St. Louis is a deep pocketed owner who wants to make an MLS team a reality.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that the guys from World Wide Technology were interested in owning a team. Not sure if that is a known name outside of St. Louis but they are involved in a lot of the soccer stuff in St. Louis including a women's team and all the youth stuff.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #225
Logan
Head Coach

Hue Jackson to the Browns. If he was about to fly to NY to interview for the Giants job, I assume that was a pretty monster offer.

I would've gotten on the plane.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #226
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hue Jackson to the Browns. If he was about to fly to NY to interview for the Giants job, I assume that was a pretty monster offer.

I would've gotten on the plane.

As I've said before, you generally take the job you're offered, but if he fails in Cleveland he might be done as a HC candidate. That's a lot to risk on a franchise as f'ed up as Cleveland.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #227
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I know this is the 10,000th reinvention of the Browns. But this one seems like a really good one. Got a respected analytics guy for the front office. Get the #1 coaching candidate out there (or at least one of the very top guys). And have the #2 overall pick.

I mean, feel free to re-post this in five years when they are 1-15 and starting over again. But they seem to be nailing this offseason.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #228
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My concern is how do the analytics guy, the coach, the unhired GM and the owner work together? I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the GM wasn't the last one hired. If they don't have clearly delineated and accepted roles, the whole thing will collapse.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #229
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It seems to me that in baseball, the front office has much more control over what happens on the field. It'll be interesting if Depodesta can make that transition to a situation where the on-the-field coach has a much bigger influence on wins and losses. It's also interesting that they'd hire Jackson who got ousted in Oakland after a failed power play.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #230
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I know this is the 10,000th reinvention of the Browns. But this one seems like a really good one. Got a respected analytics guy for the front office. Get the #1 coaching candidate out there (or at least one of the very top guys). And have the #2 overall pick.

I mean, feel free to re-post this in two years when they are 1-15 and starting over again. But they seem to be nailing this offseason.

fixed it for you
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #231
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I mean I don't want to bag on a guy that I really liked with the Bengals but he had some amazing talent on that roster. His gameplan at times though was confusing and his alternate alignments never seemed to fool anyone. I also don't envy his two head coaching opportunities being with Oakland and Cleveland. I will say that New York may be just as bad if not worse for the crowd that thinks that Giants job was worth anything. That crappy roster and savage media is probably up there with the Raiders and Browns for terrible jobs.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #232
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Hue did a hell of a job in Oakland with just a bunch of random dudes and Jason Campbell. I think he can make the Browns offense work. The real question, I think, is who will be making the personnel decisions. If it is the guy that drafted Manziel, then things probably ain't gonna work out too good.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Hue did a hell of a job in Oakland with just a bunch of random dudes and Jason Campbell. I think he can make the Browns offense work. The real question, I think, is who will be making the personnel decisions. If it is the guy that drafted Manziel, then things probably ain't gonna work out too good.

ESPN now reporting that Jackson will cut ties with Manziel as part of taking the job.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #234
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

Hopefully it's not the guy that traded 2 conditional first round picks for Carson Palmer either.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #235
tarcone
Coordinator

What happens when the Rams continue to suck and the fans quit going to games? Are the Rams going to move again?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #236
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
ESPN now reporting that Jackson will cut ties with Manziel as part of taking the job.

How many first round picks have the Browns spent on the QB position since they returned in '99?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #237
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many first round picks have the Browns spent on the QB position since they returned in '99?

You just knew that would make me curious enough to look it up, didn't you?

2014 1/22 Manziel
2012 1/22 Weeden
2007 1/22 Quinn
1999 1/1 Couch

Also:
2010 3/85 McCoy
2005 3/67 Frye
2004 4/106 L. McCown
2000 6/183 Spurgeon Wynn

And honorable mention for
1995 3/84 Zeier
Old 01-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #238
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What happens when the Rams continue to suck and the fans quit going to games? Are the Rams going to move again?

Yes, to Iowa.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #239
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
2000 6/183 Spurgeon Wynn

In that same draft:

6/199 Tom Brady
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #240
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Old 01-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #241
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hopefully it's not the guy that traded 2 conditional first round picks for Carson Palmer either.

No, I like that guy. AJ McCarron would look great in a Browns jersey!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #242
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The soccer-specific stadiums are a MUCH better experience. The new stadium here in KC is as good as some of the stadiums in Europe. You don't realize what you're missing until you go to a modern stadium that's built for soccer.

I've been to a Sporting KC game and loved it!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #243
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sometimes guys really screw up at their first stop and become good head coaches later. I wonder if Hue Jackson will be like Belichick or Carroll or if he'll be just another Jim Caldwell/Mangini type.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #244
sabotai
General Manager

Rumor mill is saying that McAdoo is close to finalizing a deal to be the Giants HC.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #245
stevew
Hall Of Famer

did the Giants break the Rooney rule?

The Giants are intrigued with McAdoo’s potential but wanted to get a cross-section of the available candidates with head-coaching experience. McAdoo was their first interview, but they also met with three others with more experience: their own defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, former Bills head coach Doug Marrone and former Falcons head coach Mike Smith. None of those candidates wowed the Giants, and they doubled back and kept the hiring in-house
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #246
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd imagine a scheduled interview with Hue Jackson covers the Rooney rule.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #247
Logan
Head Coach

Schefter reporting the Niners are deciding between Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan, with a decision coming over next 24 hours.

I can't imagine how you can narrow down any list of potential candidates and land on those exact two as your finalists. Like deciding if you should live in New York City or Sheboygan.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #248
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Based on what Palmer is doing now, I think the trade would have worked out if they stuck with Hue.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #249
RedKingGold
College Starter

CHIP!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #250
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
CHIP!

Doesn't make any sense. Kelly may say he doesn't want to be GM, but he sure ran the last one he worked for out of the stadium. Can't see him and Baalke getting along.