Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
LaStarza61
n00b

Commander: The Great War

Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you PC war gamers have played Commander: The Great War from Matrix/Slitherine Games? It is an operational level game based on World War I. I have read positive and negative things about the game on the Matrix and Slitherine forums and online reviews... but I'm having a hard time of getting a handle on whether it's a quality product or not... and there's no demo available. I love the subject matter, though... and good World War I games are few and far between. The most important aspect to any PC war game for me is the AI in single player mode. Any comments from any of you who own and/or have played the game would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Last edited by LaStarza61 : 02-11-2016 at 01:47 AM.
LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #2
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I own it and played it for awhile, just never stuck with me...but doesn't mean it's not a good game. Others seemed to like it and you might want to look at this thread that lists a bunch of reviews.

Commander: The Great War Reviews

You may also want to check out making history the Great War, currently only $8 during the latest steam sale. Haven't had a chance to get in deep yet, but seems to get good reviews as well.

Save 75% on Making History: The Great War on Steam
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

I think I bought it about a year ago. Played it once and haven't tried again since.

Not sure if this happens in every game, or if they fixed this, but I played as the Central Powers and when Italy joined the war, the AI broke. The UK and France both sent most of their forces to Italy, leaving the western front barely defended leading to an easy win for me.

Also, when a nation surrenders, and you accept their surrender, whatever land you took becomes yours but whatever land they still had remains theirs. So to take over a country wholly, you have to take everything. There's nothing resembling "war goals" like you get with Hearts of Iron or anything like that.

It plays like a good game, but it didn't feel like the developers finished it. But that was a year ago, so maybe they have by now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

It is available for you ios device. You may want to buy it for a tablet. Its still $20 for that.

But I have heard it is a good, easy to learn war game from a hard core board war gamer.

Commander the Great War on the App Store

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
LaStarza61
n00b

Thank you everyone for your replies... really appreciate it! I went ahead and purchased it and it looks great! Can't wait to dig into the tutorial.

Last edited by LaStarza61 : 02-13-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:22 AM   #6
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
I own it and played it for awhile, just never stuck with me...but doesn't mean it's not a good game. Others seemed to like it and you might want to look at this thread that lists a bunch of reviews.

Commander: The Great War Reviews

You may also want to check out making history the Great War, currently only $8 during the latest steam sale. Haven't had a chance to get in deep yet, but seems to get good reviews as well.

Save 75% on Making History: The Great War on Steam

Thanks for the recommendation of "Making History: The Great War"! I went ahead and bought it, along with "Commander: The Great War". Can't really go wrong with the sale price (just over $7.00)! I've read several reviews of this game and they are almost all very positive. I like the idea that you can play almost any nation on earth and that it is very open-ended!

How did you ever get to be so helpful? You may recognize my user name from me posting over at the DKSports forums... you have been very helpful over there as well! Very grateful!

Mark
Old 02-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation of "Making History: The Great War"! I went ahead and bought it, along with "Commander: The Great War". Can't really go wrong with the sale price (just over $7.00)! I've read several reviews of this game and they are almost all very positive. I like the idea that you can play almost any nation on earth and that it is very open-ended!

How did you ever get to be so helpful? You may recognize my user name from me posting over at the DKSports forums... you have been very helpful over there as well! Very grateful!

Mark

No problem and hopefully you enjoy them...$7 is a small risk, but I think you'll get enough out of it I also liked the fact you can play just about any country you want, adds a lot of replay value.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Probably my favorite war game ever and the only one for WW1 that actually manages to do a decent job simulating the "meat grinder" mentality that was the great war.

It is not overly complex as you are probably finding and I would love more on the diplomacy side, but it is an extremely fun game that is easy to learn, but often hard to master, especially playing as the Central Power.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Probably my favorite war game ever and the only one for WW1 that actually manages to do a decent job simulating the "meat grinder" mentality that was the great war.

It is not overly complex as you are probably finding and I would love more on the diplomacy side, but it is an extremely fun game that is easy to learn, but often hard to master, especially playing as the Central Power.

Are you referring to "Commander: The Great War" or "Making History: The Great War" in your comments here? I'm kind of assuming that you're talking about "Commander: The Great War" since that was the initial subject of this thread, but "Making History: The Great War" was mentioned as well. I'm very interested and curious to know for sure which one you're talking about since you said that it is your favorite war game ever! That is saying a lot!

Thank you!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:45 AM   #10
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I must have missed the sale. Was it the Steam sale where they had it for $7? I see both for $30 each.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #11
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I must have missed the sale. Was it the Steam sale where they had it for $7? I see both for $30 each.

I didn't buy Commander: The Great War on Steam (didn't see it there). I bought it from Slitherine, so I don't know if it was on sale thru Steam or not. But Making History: The Great War was on sale thru Steam as recently as yesterday for just over $7.00. Looks like the sale must have just ended as I also see only the $29.99 price tag.

Last edited by LaStarza61 : 02-14-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #12
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I didn't buy Commander: The Great War on Steam (didn't see it there). I bought it from Slitherine, so I don't know if it was on sale thru Steam or not. But Making History: The Great War was on sale thru Steam as recently as yesterday for just over $7.00. Looks like the sale must have just ended as I also see only the $29.99 price tag.

Both games are available on Steam, but only Making History Great War was on sale. However, that sale ended on Friday.

If you bought your version of Commander through Matrix, they have a way you can get a free steam key from them if you wanted.

Redeeming Your Steam Key
Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Would you update your impressions on both games on here after you have had some real time with both games? I have always been interested in a good WWI game, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on any of them. I have been playing a lot of Hearts of Iron 3 recently. I'm trying the Black Ice mod which is much harder and more complicated than vanilla. It has been fun but very frustrating (so much of the changes and add-ons are not explained very well, and it takes hours just to set-up and then realize you made a big mistake). I would love to find a WW1 or a WW2 grand strategy game that had a solid AI. Even with the mod, HOI3 Ai is not very good. They just give huge bonuses to the opponent countries to create the challenge.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you referring to "Commander: The Great War" or "Making History: The Great War" in your comments here? I'm kind of assuming that you're talking about "Commander: The Great War" since that was the initial subject of this thread, but "Making History: The Great War" was mentioned as well. I'm very interested and curious to know for sure which one you're talking about since you said that it is your favorite war game ever! That is saying a lot!

Thank you!

Definitely talking about Commander the Great War, I have tried all WW1 games out there and always come back to CTGW. I think the reason I like it so much is that the learning curve is not very steep, but you have to be patient and smart.

There is also the resource management in (accrued in PP when supply ships make it to port) that is simple, but effective and forces you to make tough decisions and be smart. So I drain my PP to get much needed infantry raised to shore up the front, knowing that if I don't have enough for turn maintenance my national morale (which can lead to negative events and even withdrawal from the conflict) may suffer.

Again, nothing sexy about this game, just an overall solid title that is a lot of fun to play.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #15
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Since World War 1 seems like a hot topic, some games to consider (including ones already discussed)

Strategic Games

To End All Wars
Matrix Games - To End All Wars
* Ageod game..if you like that gaming system, might be good for you

Commander: Great War
Matrix Games - Commander - The Great War .

Making History: Great War
Making History: The Great War on Steam

Strategic Command: World War 1
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...272&Itemid=450
* One of the earlier games, its fans always enjoyed it

World War 1 - Centennial Edition
World War 1 Centennial Edition - Buy and download on GamersGate
* A lot of people believe this is the best of the bunch, but a little harder to learn and not sure if supported much nowadays

Flight Simulators

* All these are good

Over Flanders Field
WOFF
* Best campaign, but this one requires combat sim 3 on top of the base game

Rise of Flight
Rise of Flight - free-to-play game about the World War I

First Eagles 2
First Eagles 2 - WWI Air Combat Game for PC (Windows 7/Vista)

Other Game Types

Verdun
Verdun on Steam

Valiant Hearts
Valiant Hearts: The Great War™ / Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre™ on Steam
Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

I tried the AGEOD game as well. Never made it more than a few turns into it. Just doesn't feel like their engine is right for WW1.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I tried the AGEOD game as well. Never made it more than a few turns into it. Just doesn't feel like their engine is right for WW1.

Most people have come to the same conclusion...personally, I have always wanted to like Ageod games since I like the periods they cover, but never really got deep into any one of them so I have stopped buying them all together.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #18
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Most people have come to the same conclusion...personally, I have always wanted to like Ageod games since I like the periods they cover, but never really got deep into any one of them so I have stopped buying them all together.

I have never been able to get into the Ageod system either. I tried the Revolutionary War and Civil War games with that system and I just don't like the feel of it. Can't really put my finger on why.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 AM   #19
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I have never been able to get into the Ageod system either. I tried the Revolutionary War and Civil War games with that system and I just don't like the feel of it. Can't really put my finger on why.

Yep, me either....I love the battles/wars they cover and their maps/graphics are usually very decent...but....the system holds me back for some reason. I think it is because they focus so much on organizing your armies versus tactics and playing, but not sure. Also, a number of their titles have some serious lag in the turn resolution times which also turns me off.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
Umbrella
High School Varsity

From a board game standpoint, I have heard nothing but good things about Paths of Glory. I haven't played it personally, but I own For the People, which is a similar format for the Civil War, and I think it's an amazing game.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #21
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Steam mid-week sale on Slitherine games, inluding Commander: The Great War for $15.

I think I may pick up that and one of the Decisive Campaigns games.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #22
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Nice, was looking at Alea Jacta Est, the sale seals that deal.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:15 AM   #23
LaStarza61
n00b

I think I'm gonna pick up Pike and Shot Campaigns. It looks incredible! I'm very interested in that period of history and every review I've read has been extremely positive.