Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Wasting time and an early New Year's Resolution

I was searching back in the forums looking for something, and I came across a thread I started 6 months ago. It was a thread for brainstorming ideas for a football sim. Got A LOT of valuable information from that thread. A LOT. And considering that thread ended 6 months ago (almost to the day), you'd think I'd have some good, wirtten out designs for my next attempt at a football sim, wouldn't you?

Nope. I have more scribblings, read some more books, watching another season of football....but I'm not closer now to a design for a football sim now than I was 6 months ago. In fact, if it weren't for me sitting down a week ago and writing out some design for plays, I would say I've actually taken some steps back.

A few months ago, I also sat down and decided to start designing what will become my next project (the one I will be doing before a football sim). I started reading up, asked a lot of questions, and got to work on a design. How much has gotten down in the last month or two? Practically none.

My C++ tutorials. When was the last time I wrote one of them? Several months.

I can honestly say I'm not very happy with myself. I've wasted so much time. And no, aside from the dictator thread ( ), my time spent on this board, doing my dynasties, and playing video games (spent most of today playing Freelancer), I do not consider that wasted. My R&R time keeps me from grabbing a rifle and finding a tower.

But it doesn't take six months to do some dynasties and play video games. Or watch some movies and spend some time with my friends.

Where is my time going? I don't know, but I look at the clock, and I see it's midnight (12:07) right now. I played Freelancer from about 3:30 to roughly 7:00. A break in the middle for dinner. What have I been doing since 7:00? Where did that 5 hours go? I looked up some wireless stuff for mrskippy (for a post of his on .400) and I watched some thing on Ants on the Discovery channel. That doesn't take 5 hours. Where did it go?

Obviously whatever it was I was doing during that time, aside from the few short period things I remember, wasn't important. It was wasted.

So here it is. An early New Year's Resolution: No more wasted time. I'm going to get my ass in gear. (That's waiting to be Fritzed ). No more sitting in my chair, staring at website that I forget about 5 minutes later, or staring at wall trying to figure out what to do when I'm bored. I shouldn't be bored, I should be working!

No more wasted time. Time to work on my website. Time to start designing my football sim. Time to start asking more questions and start working on my other project. No more wasted time!

I'm pumped!

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

good luck!
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

I gave up already.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:47 PM   #4
JimJam19
n00b

Well I'm not gonna lie here, I'm a little upset after reading this post. You have made me realize that my whole day has been a waste of time. Not only today, but for about the past week or two. I spent most of the day playing FOF, and looking up tires online for my Jeep. Contrary to popular belief, this is not what we call a productive day. The hardest decision I had to make today was whether I wanted Frosted Flakes or Coco Puffs. I chose the latter. And since we are all out of Coco Puffs now, I no longer have any decision to make tomorrow. I have been labeled the most unproductive person in all of NY, which I feel is debatable. My problem is I have no intentions on creating a football sim, and have no projects in mind.

But I will take this as a motivational read, and I too am now "pumped". I am jumping on the bandwagon sabotai, time to get shit done.
JimJam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:48 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm too lazy to read that whole post. And I'm getting paid to do it.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 12-04-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:51 PM   #6
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I gave up already.

Did you ever quit smoking?
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:54 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by FargoFreez aka fof playa
Did you ever quit smoking?

Yes.....no. Kind of. I pretty much only smoke when I'm hanging out with my friends. These days, that's once or twice a month (they're off at college).
Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 PM   #8
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

So how about cigarettes or marijuana?
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:59 PM   #9
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I gave up already.

dust yourself off and try again....you gotta couple weeks left!
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:36 AM   #10
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Was that the thread that had those wonderfull categories for a QB's ability? I actually had a dream about that thread a few weeks ago. There were something like 25 different ratings for a QB. . .

On a side note, I had wanted to get up to 205lbs by New Years. I'm up to 210 already My New Years ambition is to get up to 225, then start leaning out for the summer. Also hit a weight goal. Was always a weak guy, but I finally hit the long dreamed of goal of 225lbs for reps on bench. I now rate as a very weak safety in FOF. 6'2, 210, 7reps on the bench, 4.7 40
Should get the reps up to 10+ in the coming months though. I've got some green bars left yet.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote