Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
spleen1015
Coordinator

A Memory of Light - The last WoT book

The Prologue was released a few days ago and today TOR has released Chapter 1. The book is due out 1/8/2013.

Since these 2 items have been released, I have started to read some of the various things around the interwebs and I am seeing a lot of Brandon Sanderson hate. Many feel like he has done a ppor job finishing the series.

Did folks really believe that he was going to be able to write like Robert Jordan? I'm just happy that we're getting the end of the series.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Did folks really believe that he was going to be able to write like Robert Jordan? I'm just happy that we're getting the end of the series.

One might question whether or not RJ would have finished in 3 books were he still around.

People seem pissy about Sanderson's writing of Mat. I say he's just fine. And hell, we've had far less descriptions of teacups and dresses lately, which is just fine in my mind.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
One might question whether or not RJ would have finished in 3 books were he still around.

People seem pissy about Sanderson's writing of Mat. I say he's just fine. And hell, we've had far less descriptions of teacups and dresses lately, which is just fine in my mind.

Agreed with all of this. Can't wait for the last book.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
bronconick
College Starter

Those people complaining are idiots.

1. It's actually being finished.
2. The plot is being advanced, something Jordan struggled with especially from books 8-10 and only recovered from in Knife of Dreams when he realized his time was numbered.
3. I give Sanderson credit for knowing he can't emulate another man's style and just wrote his own way.
4. Despite #3, he still got most of the characters pretty well.

A lot of those people will likely experience the other end of the stick in 10-15 years when Martin leaves ASOIAF unfinished with not much in the way of notes or tapes to finish with.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I thought Sanderson was saving the series. The last few books have been as good as the first few books. Way better than the mess from the middle.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I thought Sanderson was saving the series. The last few books have been as good as the first few books. Way better than the mess from the middle.

This is how I felt as well. I had read some complaints about Mat, but really Sanderson got Mat out of that God forsaken town he had been languishing in since book seven. Book Seven!

I think Sanderson has saved the Wheel of Time, and he certainly treated it better than Jordan himself in books seven or eight through ten or eleven.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
cschex
High School Varsity

Totally agree with all points. I hadn't purchased a new WOT book since Vol 8, checking them out and skimming through them at the library because of how boring 8-11 were. Sanderson made the endgame visible and, while I still think there is a hell of a lot to wrap up in one book, I'm actually anticipating a WOT release for the first time since book 7
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
... I'm actually anticipating a WOT release for the first time since book 7

+1
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

I know this is going to be like it was for me with Lost, The Sopranos, & The Wire.

The journey has been amazing and once it is over, I am going to wish I was still looking forward to more books. I've realized that it is not the end that matters, but the journey.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't at all understand any Sanderson hate. He's been incredible for the series. Him taking over has also led me to the Mistborn series which was phenomenal.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I've realized that it is not the end that matters, but the journey.

Apparently Jordan felt the same way.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, if you complain about Sanderson you can go jump off a bridge. Even if Jordan hadn't died I'm not sure he ever would have finished the series at the rate he was going. And it's not like Jordan was producing fine writing at the end there.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I don't at all understand any Sanderson hate. He's been incredible for the series. Him taking over has also led me to the Mistborn series which was phenomenal.

And the Stormlight Archive, which is just as big an undertaking as WoT.

Now I hope he sees what Jordan and Martin have done in allowing their success to slow down the prolific writing that led to their success in the first place. I don't want Sanderson's epic to die the slow lingering death that WoT did or that Song of Ice and Fire is going through.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Autumn
Head Coach

Let this be a lesson to us. Pretend indifference to fantasy series until they're completed, then start reading them!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Let this be a lesson to us. Pretend indifference to fantasy series until they're completed, then start reading them!

Sadly, I lack the patience for that. I'll read his Stormlight novels as he releases them and I'll still be waiting in 20 years for the last one.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

I'm kind of glad that it's led to an increase of actual trilogies and the rare stand-alone book. For a while there, every idiot had to have their dozen book magnum opus and I only have the patience for a couple at a time (WOT, Dresden, ASOIAF every 5 years when he publishes) so I'd ignore the rest.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

Tomorrow is the day. Some folks have been saying online that they have been finding the book early at Walmart. I am going to check one at lunch today.

Excited and sad that the end is near.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I have a feeling it's going to be a late, late night for me tomorrow. And the next day.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to get the book, but I have to wait a few days to read it as this is a very busy week for me. But, I'll be flying on Sunday and the book is going to help the time fly on the plane.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just finishing my Audible edition of Red Country, and I'm hoping the Audible version of this is also available tomorrow. That is how it seems to work most often with this sort of release. So I'll be taking my time listening to the final book.

Note: If you are stuck trying to get through books eight through ten, I found them to be much more bearable in their audio versions.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wow did I stay up way too damn late mowing through this book.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm through chapter 20. I'm a slow reader I think. I am reading about 60 pages and hour.

Some of my thoughts so far.

Spoiler
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Finito.

Good. Not great, but good.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #24
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's really, really weird to be finished with the Wheel of Time.

Really, really enjoyed the final book. Disappointed with the very end - the epilogue was completely freaking awful - but the journey there was phenomenal.

I think the problem was that the series had grown far too large to be able to neatly wrap it up and give every character their due without adding another 200 pages to the already 900 page book.

Edit: I find it humorous that it turns out the Epilogue was written by Jordan years ago before he passed. And that's the only part of the new book I don't like.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-12-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's really, really weird to be finished with the Wheel of Time.

Really, really enjoyed the final book. Disappointed with the very end - the epilogue was completely freaking awful - but the journey there was phenomenal.

I think the problem was that the series had grown far too large to be able to neatly wrap it up and give every character their due without adding another 200 pages to the already 900 page book.

Edit: I find it humorous that it turns out the Epilogue was written by Jordan years ago before he passed. And that's the only part of the new book I don't like.

Totally in agreement with the epilogue. There were other parts I found odd/disliked as well, but like I said. It was good enough. Certainly not perfect, but good enough.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just finished and agree with the epilogue as a disappointment. The rest of the book was very good and I savored every page. Odd not to be looking forward to any more of the series.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
Autumn
Head Coach

I just finished the book. I felt it was decent, but at this point that is a triumph. Sanderson really saved this series, and I think he did the best he could with what he was handed. I almost wish he had stepped in earlier. I think most every complaint I have about how the story ends has its origins way back in Jordan adding more into the series than he could possibly have addressed well. There was so much in earlier books that led to waste, and I wish a lot of it could have been used to address more interesting themes that got dropped.

Spoiler

I could go on and on about this. I probably have over the last 20 years. The best thing though is that Jordan created a world and a story that has had me thinking and talking and wondering and wishing for that long. Back in the days of USENET I spent a lot of time discussing theories and guesses and prophecies about the books, and it was probably a given that the books could never hold up against all the thought and anticipation that fans like that could generate.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just finished the book. I felt it was decent, but at this point that is a triumph. Sanderson really saved this series, and I think he did the best he could with what he was handed. I almost wish he had stepped in earlier. I think most every complaint I have about how the story ends has its origins way back in Jordan adding more into the series than he could possibly have addressed well. There was so much in earlier books that led to waste, and I wish a lot of it could have been used to address more interesting themes that got dropped.

I recall way back in the day while waiting for book seven or eight I believe posting in a thread comparing the WoT to Tolkien's works. I said something along the lines of the end of book six being such a high point in my fantasy reading that I believed it, the WoT, to be better than LoTR, my concession being that Tolkien was finished writing and that Jordan still had a long way to go to sustain that level. In the end, the WoT finished well, but those middle books really hurt the series as a whole.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah that early promise really petered out. These guys could take a lesson from Tolkien -- even with the ridiculously large and bloated vision Tolkien had, he put together a trilogy out of it. Maybe your fantasy series doesn't need a dozen books.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

Saw this news today-did you know the channel FXX aired a Wheel of Time pilot late last night? I certainly did not, and apparently neither did Robert Jordan's wife or the lawyers running his estate. Anyone happen to see it?

The Real Story About That Wheel Of Time Pilot That Aired Last Night

I am close to finishing Book 11? the one right before Sanderson takes over. I have never felt so annoyed and frustrated while reading a series, and yet still want to read more of it.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wheel of Time TV pilot: "Winter Dragon" - YouTube

The CGI is awful, but, up until Lews Therin realized he killed everyone, it wasn't bad. The wooden acting from Lews Therin after that was pain.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The article from the Wertzone at the end of the io9 article is the best reporting on it, IMO.

I'll give them this. For a couple of days work with a director that was apparently on death's doorstep, it could have been (should have been?) much worse. But it will be interesting to see what comes of this, as it's totally skeezy to pitch it in an infomercial slot...and Jordan's widow is PISSED.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #33
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Wheel of Time TV pilot: "Winter Dragon" - YouTube

The CGI is awful, but, up until Lews Therin realized he killed everyone, it wasn't bad. The wooden acting from Lews Therin after that was pain.

ah I should have thought to check You Tube, thanks CW
Old 02-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #34
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for posting that link CW! I've been dying for some kind of tv series/movies or something ever since finishing these books.

Hopefully if nothing else, out of this some perceived interest will be shown to get someone to legitimately create a series/movie or something out of this for us.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #35
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, seems like an easy call given the success of Game of Thrones and Hobbit, to put something out with Wheel of Time. It's actually finished, unlike GoT, has a big fanbase among the fantasy crowd, features a lot of characters which could easily be a diverse cast. Best of all, the fans would not complain when they cut shit out of the books. I think I'll go write the screenplay now!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #36
Desnudo
Coordinator

I can't wait for the extended episode on dress selection.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #37
Autumn
Head Coach

Normally the problem with adaptions is how do you condense it to work in a film or TV format. Here, if you cut out all the dress selections and braid tugging, it's probably down several books already.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #38
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Potential female cast members will be thoroughly drilled on dramatic sniffing.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Normally the problem with adaptions is how do you condense it to work in a film or TV format. Here, if you cut out all the dress selections and braid tugging, it's probably down several books already.

There may not be enough left for a full season!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #40
spleen1015
Coordinator

Turns out RJ told a little fib. I figure he just changed his mind when everyone figured it out.

Signings and Secrets - Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums
Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #41
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, I think RJ changed his tune several times over the course of the series. One of the first authors to be writing a series like this when the Internet was exploding and I think he really responded to the fan theories, and wanting to keep people guessing.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #42
Thomkal
Head Coach

some news on the WoT

TV Rights to The Wheel of Time Optioned by New Studio, With Jordan Estate’s Approval | Tor.com
Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #43
bronconick
College Starter

Even if you gut whole chunks where nothing happened in some of the middle books, it's still too big and too long to turn into a TV show.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #44
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Just finished the series a few hours ago. It's going to be weird waking up tomorrow knowing there's no more Wheel of Time to read.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 AM   #45
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Potential female cast members will be thoroughly drilled on dramatic sniffing.

This received no response but easily the best post in this thread.

+1 Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 AM   #46
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I actually felt like going back and reading this series again. Then I remembered the 6 books in the middle of the series that nearly caused me to burn my retinas with a blowtorch.

Now I'm sad with nothing to read. But at least I still have my retinas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #47
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I got stuck on book 8. The slog which was 6-8 was too much for me. I loved the first 5 books though. I just have better things to do than read 850 pages of nothing before 150 pages of cool stuff for another 6 books.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #48
The Jackal
Coordinator

I only felt like there was one book that really lost me. There are other long series I would re-read first (GoT, Dark Tower, Harry Potter come to mind), but I definitely enjoyed the overall experience. Was worth it at the end.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #49
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
This received no response but easily the best post in this thread.

+1 Sir

Have to agree. Just seeing you quote it makes me visualize the sniffing.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #50
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I only felt like there was one book that really lost me. There are other long series I would re-read first (GoT, Dark Tower, Harry Potter come to mind), but I definitely enjoyed the overall experience. Was worth it at the end.

I'm in this line. I agree that it was crazy slow and not very good in the middle, but I still enjoyed the read.