Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
The Jackal
Coordinator

NHL Offseason Thread

Few moves already, 'hawks dump Bickell with Teravainen to the 'canes who also just re-signed Cam Ward for two years.

Draft is only eight days away.

Most importantly, the Flyers are buying out RJ Umberger!

The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Johnny93g
College Starter

Amazing time to be a Leafs fan. Top prospect system in the league, Auston Matthews a week away. 12 draft picks, which really means too many prospects, and some trading is gonna happen, plus, the whole city believes Stamkos is about 2 weeks away!!!

This is what you call HOPE!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 06-16-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

kings switch to kopitar as captain
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

An NHL team on the Vegas strip really changes the dynamic of my trips there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Stars traded the negotiation rights for Goligoski to the Coyotes for a 5th round pick.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm so glad the Bickell era is over. I just hope Shaw re-signs for a decent number now.

I hate the salary cap.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm going to have to start paying attention to the NHL now. Haven't since the mid-late '90s.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
An NHL team on the Vegas strip really changes the dynamic of my trips there.

That's exciting that Vegas has a pro team!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm going to have to start paying attention to the NHL now. Haven't since the mid-late '90s.

I'll be interested in how they choose to build the team. Vegas has a chance to get some quality players if the expansion draft rumors are true.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
That's exciting that Vegas has a pro team!

Absolutely! Now I can have a western conference team to cheer for that is literally a 5 hour drive or a 45 minute flight away from me.

I miss NHL live so this will help that out.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I'll be interested in how they choose to build the team. Vegas has a chance to get some quality players if the expansion draft rumors are true.

+1

The pens are going to have some tough choices to make. Fleury being one of them.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Okay, so it's official. Someone school me on it.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah, it's been 20 years since I've followed NHL, so I'm way behind, too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #14
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Okay, so it's official. Someone school me on it.

They start the 2017-18 seasons. Other 30 owners are splitting 500 Million.

I still don't think the NHL needed expansion, when there are a handful of teams that probably should relocate.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #15
The Jackal
Coordinator

"The Las Vegas franchise will play in the $375 million T-Mobile Arena which opened earlier this year and have a home in the Pacific Division. They will also have the same draft lottery odds as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 season. They are guaranteed to pick no lower than sixth in the 2017 draft."
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Those rules seem like they can be really good on defense/goaltending early on.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looking at those rules, I imagine (if it's not prohibited) we'll seem them take 1 or more players with a big contract number that are known to be planning to retire. That shouldn't count as them 'buying out" the deal.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #19
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Looking at those rules, I imagine (if it's not prohibited) we'll seem them take 1 or more players with a big contract number that are known to be planning to retire. That shouldn't count as them 'buying out" the deal.

cough Marian Hossa cough
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #20
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow. I think the Western Conference is to tough to call them a playoff team, but dang, they could be tough quickly.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The protection rules are a bit weird too. Such as what you can expose, etc.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

I tend to not agree that the team will be particularly good early on. They will be good compared to the absolute dross that have been NHL expansion teams in the past, sure. But teams aren't stupid and they aren't going to lose decent players for nothing. The list looks ok right now but that isn't going to be the final list, because any decent player that can't be protected will likely be dealt before the draft.

What will be available are the expensive vets who might be ok for a season or two and teams are looking to get rid of, but I don't think that is how you want to start building an expansion team.

A good example is everyone's team has Tyler Myers, but there is no way the Jets are letting an asset that they gave up a lot for just go in an expansion draft. That caliber of player is just not going to be there by the time it rolls around.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #23
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
They start the 2017-18 seasons. Other 30 owners are splitting 500 Million.

I still don't think the NHL needed expansion, when there are a handful of teams that probably should relocate.

So is this from a talent perspective or a "not a cold city" perspective?

For the first point, didn't we just have a Stanley Cup between 2 back goalies? To think that there aren't 30 more guys in the entire world that could play in the NHL is absurd.

For the second point (since I hear it more I have a bit more to say about it) can we examine who filled their arenas last year? A 100 pt team in the largest city in the US was 27th in filling capacity of their stadium. The 28th team is the only team in their Northern state. If you want to, bring up Atlanta. You know that city who couldn't sell out baseball playoff games for the Braves when they won their division every single year. While we are on baseball, it's a warm weather sport, correct? Get rid of the Yankees, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Mets, Jays, Rockies etc... because they might have to play a game in April or October/November when it is cold. I swear this has to be the one argument that shows the intelligence of their fan base. What's the last "fog" game the NHL had and where was it located? Wild guess, Bruins in an old arena in 88? Thank god there's been no new technology since then.

Heck, maybe you can get away with arguing that there isn't a super fan base for the sport but no league would be dumb enough to make an attempt by playing regular season games that count in a new market like London, Mexico City, or even China. Oh wait, the NFL... The first outdoor NHL game was in Vegas, the NHL awards are always in Vegas.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #24
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
A good example is everyone's team has Tyler Myers, but there is no way the Jets are letting an asset that they gave up a lot for just go in an expansion draft. That caliber of player is just not going to be there by the time it rolls around.

I both agree and disagree with this. Myers probably won't be available because the Jets will trade either him or Trouba before that happens.

However, the Jets in particular are almost guaranteed to lose a reasonably decent player. They just have a huge pool of assets that aren't necessarily stars but that either are, or are very likely to quickly grow into, solid top 9 players. They can't protect them all and one of them is going to get picked up.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #25
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
So is this from a talent perspective or a "not a cold city" perspective?

Neither. It's from the perspective that there are a few teams that aren't adequately supported in their current locations. Taking one guy off each team isn't going to have much of an effect and I don't mind southern teams if people come to the games.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #26
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bummer seeing the Blackhawks trade Shaw to Montreal for 2 2nd rounders.

Shaw and Gallagher are going to be the NHL's most hated duo to play against in a while.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So exciting for the Jets to take Laine, I was genuinely concerned that Chevy might go off the board. Sure hope he becomes the sniper we've been needing so badly.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So the Jets moved up 4 spots from 22 to 18 to grab Stanley, by giving up 36 in exchange for 79. Lots of comments on the AIH boards are really down on Stanley, but the local TSN radio station indicated that Chevy and his scouts had Stanley ranked 'way higher' and so they got aggressive to ensure they could grab him. I'm not really sure what to think, though it's hard to get too down about drafting a dude that's over 6'7" to play defense.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Weber for Subban seems like it warrants a mention here.

Taylor Hall to the Devils, eh maybe not nearly as much so, but still.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #30
Logan
Head Coach

Also Stamkos sticking in TB.

That was a crazy half hour of hockey news.

Can't say I understand that deal from Montreal's perspective.

Last edited by Logan : 06-29-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #31
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Weber for Subban seems like it warrants a mention here.

Taylor Hall to the Devils, eh maybe not nearly as much so, but still.

That shocked me, I was hoping they both would have been traded out of the conference.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #32
The Jackal
Coordinator

That Hall trade was just awful for the Oilers.

Weber is still a beast (though starting to decline) but trading Subban from 27-31 years old for Weber 31-40 ... oof.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #33
bhlloy
Coordinator

Two absolutely insane trades. Hall is a top 5 winger in the league and Subban is a top 5 defender. I can see both ending up on a top 10 list of worst NHL trades ever in a few years
Old 06-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't think the PK Subban one is quite THAT bad. No idea why Montreal's never loved him behind the scenes, but there's been enough smoke there having him with a NMC was a risk. And as bad as Weber's deal looks superficially, the actual cash was so front loaded he'll be getting paid peanuts the last couple years and there's no shortage of teams who'll take a contract with a high cap hit and low cash payout.

So it really comes down to whether Subban or Weber is better over the next 5 years... where yes, I'd lean Subban, but it's not a big difference, especially if you prefer more defensive defensemen, which I believe has always been part of the Montreal FO's issue with Subban.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #35
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sorry, I'd put very good money on Weber being a traffic cone by the start of the season after next. He looked like his mobility was already starting to go in the Anaheim series (which was the only time I'd watched him last year) and his advanced stats have been pretty negative for the last few years

I think Subban is going to clearly be the better player over the next 5 years and Weber ends up being one of the worst contracts in the league. Big defenseman usually end up going pretty quickly
Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #36
The Jackal
Coordinator

Agreed, I've always loved Weber, but this trade doesn't make a lot of sense. Price/Weber will be an awesome backbone for a couple of years but do they have enough else to be contenders?

The Hall trade is still probably worse though. At least I can understand that Weber is awesome, but Hall is maybe a top 5 winger in the league and you got.. Adam Larsson.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #37
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Also Stamkos sticking in TB.

That was a crazy half hour of hockey news.

Can't say I understand that deal from Montreal's perspective.

same here...but twitter said they won the deal...wtf

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #38
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Amazing time to be a Leafs fan. Top prospect system in the league, Auston Matthews a week away. 12 draft picks, which really means too many prospects, and some trading is gonna happen, plus, the whole city believes Stamkos is about 2 weeks away!!!

This is what you call HOPE!

1/2 ain't bad!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #39
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
The Hall trade is still probably worse though. At least I can understand that Weber is awesome, but Hall is maybe a top 5 winger in the league and you got.. Adam Larsson.
Apparently Chiarelli wanted to clear space to sign Milan Lucic! Guy's allergic to 40+ goal wingers. I'm glad that clown's out of Boston, though his replacement is even worse...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #40
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So did Nashville just break the NHL 16 trading rules and built a dynasty team?

Subban (27), Josi (25), Ekholm (25), Ellis (25) on the backside. Foresberg (21) and Neal (28) up front. How many players can they keep or can Vegas just draft Poile? That guy seems to know what he is doing.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #41
bhlloy
Coordinator

They can protect all 4, but will likely lose a good young forward as a result (you can protect 8 skaters or 3D/7F). And yeah, Poile is amazing. Possibly the best GM in all of sports right now - he got Forsberg for nothing, Johansen for Jones and now Subban for Weber.

For those who don't think this was an absolute travesty of a steal for Nashville:
https://twitter.com/travisyost/statu...812288/photo/1

Last edited by bhlloy : 06-29-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shout out to Ray Shero.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

Do you think there are GMs out there kicking themselves for not offering to get Subban or Hall. Both trades seem kind of dumb from the perspective of the team that traded them away.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #44
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Do you think there are GMs out there kicking themselves for not offering to get Subban or Hall. Both trades seem kind of dumb from the perspective of the team that traded them away.

If the Oilers were dead set on a fairly young but NHL proven, decent cap hit, right handed defenseman who hasn't quite lived up to potential, there weren't a lot of teams that could offer that honestly. Plenty of teams could offer different packages that would have been much better, mostly centered around prospects - but for instance it's rumored the Oilers asked for Hamonic from NYI and Rastolainen from BUF and they both said no.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
For those who don't think this was an absolute travesty of a steal for Nashville:

And yet you just dealt the face of the franchise.

An injury to Subban, a major slump by Subban, a slow start, any number of things ... suddenly you have an irate fan base & some seats start to get warmer.