Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #8501
Butter
Coordinator

Longhorn Network is the perfect platform to convert to a Nationwide Pac-12 Network instead of whatever bullshit they are doing now.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #8502
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Longhorn Network is the perfect platform to convert to a Nationwide Pac-12 Network instead of whatever bullshit they are doing now.
The issue is that DirecTV and Charter don't value Pac-12 viewership as highly as they do with other conferences, and they've thus far refused to meet the Pac-12's asking price. It didn't help that the Pac-12 failed to ensure that Comcast would guarantee nationwide distribution, or that they didn't retain digital distribution rights so they could put more competitive pressure on those two carriers. And so far the Pac-12 has refused to drop their pricing to get DirecTV and Charter on-board.

You could blame Larry Scott for miscalculating, but the more fundamental issue is that Pac-12 fans simply aren't as desirable a viewership market as those for the B1G or SEC (or even arguably the Big-12 and ACC). The conference is trying to broaden their base by marketing to Asia, but that's a long-term strategy. And you could certainly argue that taking a dip in carriage fees with Comcast, Dish, etc. in order to get DirecTV and Charter on-board would be worth it in order to get the content out there in the hopes of driving up interest in the product.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #8503
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
For the PAC 12 specifically - Is Boise More attractive?

This may sound crazy but if that Raiders Stadium actually happens, UNLV would probably by higher on the list. The PAC already has it's conference tourney here and ties to the Bowl game. I think they'd finally sell out and consider the metro area for Vegas as a TV footprint (think we're 10th biggest in the west). About all you get from Boise is another market the size of Utah that can only play one sport. Isn't Boise St's stadium like 35k?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #8504
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The issue is that DirecTV and Charter don't value Pac-12 viewership as highly as they do with other conferences, and they've thus far refused to meet the Pac-12's asking price. It didn't help that the Pac-12 failed to ensure that Comcast would guarantee nationwide distribution, or that they didn't retain digital distribution rights so they could put more competitive pressure on those two carriers. And so far the Pac-12 has refused to drop their pricing to get DirecTV and Charter on-board.

You could blame Larry Scott for miscalculating, but the more fundamental issue is that Pac-12 fans simply aren't as desirable a viewership market as those for the B1G or SEC (or even arguably the Big-12 and ACC). The conference is trying to broaden their base by marketing to Asia, but that's a long-term strategy. And you could certainly argue that taking a dip in carriage fees with Comcast, Dish, etc. in order to get DirecTV and Charter on-board would be worth it in order to get the content out there in the hopes of driving up interest in the product.

This is why I have 15 different versions of the Pac-(insert town) channel on my Century Link Prism feed?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #8505
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
This is why I have 15 different versions of the Pac-(insert town) channel on my Century Link Prism feed?
The way they do it is there's the main channel - the Pac-12 Network - and then there are six location-specific feeds that focus their content on the two schools in that footprint:

- Pac-12 Washington (UW & WSU)
- Pac-12 Oregon (Oregon & Oregon State)
- Pac-12 Arizona (Arizona & ASU)
- Pac-12 Bay Area (Cal & Stanford)
- Pac-12 Los Angeles (USC & UCLA)
- Pac-12 Mountain (Utah & Colorado)

And on top of that there are likely SD and HD versions of each feed.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #8506
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The football schools screamed to high heaven about UConn over Louisville and if UConn had won that vote, said football schools would have put feelers out to the Big XII and what not. I don't see UConn being admitted anytime soon.
There's also UConn's lack of attendance - well under 30,000 per game the last few years. Just like Syracuse and BC are also a big drag on the ACC attendance and viewership numbers. The real mistake was thinking BC would grow and ever capture a significant part of the Boston market, but if I were the ACC I would be looking west, with UConn as an acceptable and unexciting C level fallback option that will always be on the table.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #8507
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
There's also UConn's lack of attendance - well under 30,000 per game the last few years. Just like Syracuse and BC are also a big drag on the ACC attendance and viewership numbers. The real mistake was thinking BC would grow and ever capture a significant part of the Boston market, but if I were the ACC I would be looking west, with UConn as an acceptable and unexciting C level fallback option that will always be on the table.
as long as Duke and Wake are charter members football attendance cant even be a discussion point.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #8508
tarcone
Coordinator

I could see Texas and Kansas landing in the B1G.
OU seems destined for the SEC and I believe they take OSU with them. Isnt that a state law?
ND is destined for the ACC. I dont understand why the B1G and ND could never get together.
No way the B1G takes ISU. Why would they take the 2nd team in a really small state? ISU goes to the MAC or the MVC.

This is getting interesting.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 10-18-2016 at 02:19 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #8509
Butter
Coordinator

I would have to think if Notre Dame joins the ACC as part of this, that West Virginia joins with them as the Big XII implodes. They just make too much sense.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #8510
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
as long as Duke and Wake are charter members football attendance cant even be a discussion point.

Pretty much truth. UConn outdrew both by a couple thousand people/game last season.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #8511
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
No way the B1G takes ISU. Why would they take the 2nd team in a really small state? ISU goes to the MAC or the MVC.

Kick out Iowa
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #8512
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pretty much truth. UConn outdrew both by a couple thousand people/game last season.

And would Wake Forest even be considered by any P5 conference if they were currently in the AAC or CUSA? (I do realize that Duke is the better comparison for UConn with the basketball success.) The standards for kicking out a team are much different than the ones for inviting new schools in to get a slice of the pie.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #8513
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I have my doubts at this point that the Pac-12 will expand. The conference can't compete with the B1G and SEC in terms of TV contract money, so it's hard to imagine Texas or Oklahoma heading west. And there's no reason for the conference to expand unless doing so raises revenue for all schools. I would bet that only those two schools can do that.

Unless the Pac-12 is the only conference that would be able to work out a deal with Texas that they and the conference can accept, I'd bet on the Big-12 remaining as-is, or the Longhorns finding a home in the B1G.

What would change that is a landscape where the conference was required to be at 16 members, but I think that's mainly a dream of fans that like the symmetry of four big super-conferences and not so much the desire of the schools, conferences and TV networks.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #8514
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Kick out Iowa

Then who would Wiscy lose too?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #8515
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Kick out Iowa

or just have the Iowa/Iowa State game early in the year decide who gets the conference affiliation that year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #8516
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but the more fundamental issue is that Pac-12 fans simply aren't as desirable a viewership market as those for the B1G or SEC (or even arguably the Big-12 and ACC).

I'm virtually certain I get what you're saying here, but I suspect somewhere along the way somebody won't.

It's not, IMO, that the Pac 12 viewers aren't as desirable nearly so much is that there simply aren't as many of them. It's likely not believed to be as loyal an audience, nor one that would be as emotionally tied to the product (or by extension the advertisers) but there's nothing inherently 'wrong" with Pac 12 viewers or anything of that sort that I know of. If the body count was there, it'd overcome a lot of advertiser objections easily enough IMO.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #8517
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm virtually certain I get what you're saying here, but I suspect somewhere along the way somebody won't.

It's not, IMO, that the Pac 12 viewers aren't as desirable nearly so much is that there simply aren't as many of them. It's likely not believed to be as loyal an audience, nor one that would be as emotionally tied to the product (or by extension the advertisers) but there's nothing inherently 'wrong" with Pac 12 viewers or anything of that sort that I know of. If the body count was there, it'd overcome a lot of advertiser objections easily enough IMO.
Yep, exactly. I'm sure on a per-person basis Pac-12 fans are actually a highly desirable advertising demographic, but there just aren't as many of us tuning in consistently as with the SEC and B1G. There are absolutely some insanely devoted fans of each school that would compare with the craziest SEC fans, but on average we just aren't as passionate.

Case in point - not one of our stadiums as at 100K capacity. Closest are the L.A. Coliseum and the Rose Bowl (93K and 92K respectively), but neither come close to selling out on a regular basis and the Coliseum will lose some seats once USC renovates it (capacity will drop to 77.5K). Compare attendance between the SEC, B1G and Pac-12 and it's not really close - the other two kick our butts.

I don't know what it is - perhaps there's stronger competition for our entertainment time and money in the Pac-12 footprint, maybe there's just something inherently different in west coast culture that doesn't put the same level of fanaticism about CFB - but the numbers just aren't there. Which is a shame, because the product is outstanding. Perhaps as the demographics of the country change and the west gains in population relative to the B1G footprint we'll see things shift.

Last edited by dawgfan : 10-18-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #8518
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wait, so the B12 mishandled something? Shocking.

Quote:
Dana O'Neil
ESPN Senior Writer

Houston's Kelvin Sampson said the Big 12 expansion chatter turned into an "avalanche" after Cougars beat Oklahoma, and a constant question on the recruiting trail. He added that while no one can tell a league how to run their business, he wishes it had been handled differently.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #8519
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Wait, so the B12 mishandled something? Shocking.

This one's not even a B. Gonna go with a Gentleman's C for you here.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #8520
BishopMVP
Coordinator

But A+ for the irony of asking Kelvin Sampson if Oklahoma's administration didn't handle something correctly!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #8521
Logan
Head Coach

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #8522
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Good God Almighty.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #8523
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

then the winner of that game plays Texas for the Super B12 Championship the following week. Televised exclusively on LHN of course.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #8524
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Even better since it was a 7-3 vote to break up into 2 divisions.

One true champion!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #8525
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Even better since it was a 7-3 vote to break up into 2 divisions.

One true champion!

I see where that was a 7-3 vote among football coaches, so I'm guessing that either ADs or Presidents overruled them?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #8526
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, that would have been a decision of the school presidents.

Since they didn't expand, it didn't really make sense to split up into divisions.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #8527
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Since they didn't expand, it didn't really make sense to split up into divisions.

But it makes sense to put your #1 school at risk? Not buying it. Wouldn't school presidents be against a title game?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #8528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But without splitting into divisions then this "championship game" doesn't really make much sense either.

Just wait, given how things go & all, they'll have someone win the conference regular season by two full games ... and then lose in the "championship".
Old 10-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #8529
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't disagree. The only reason I see for them doing a championship game is for the $25+ million it will generate.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #8530
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't disagree. The only reason I see for them doing a championship game is for the $25+ million it will generate.
Theoretically it would help with getting bids into the CFP too, right? Adds another difficult game to the resume of the B12 champ...
Old 10-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #8531
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Theoretically it would help with getting bids into the CFP too, right? Adds another difficult game to the resume of the B12 champ...

In theory, yes. But since the game would be a rematch, I don't think it would be viewed quite the same.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #8532
Butter
Coordinator

Big 12 is already well on its way to getting shut out of the playoff for the 2nd time in 3 years. They have to do something. I guess this is better than nothing.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #8533
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In theory, yes. But since the game would be a rematch, I don't think it would be viewed quite the same.
True, although in a lot of cases other championship games end up being rematches as well.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #8534
Logan
Head Coach

Good reminder:

The old Big 12 Championship ruined plenty of national title contenders. Why bring it back? - SBNation.com
Old 10-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #8535
cartman
Death Herald

Just read something else that made a lot of sense. If they went to divisions and no round robin starting next season or the year after, then for the first several years they would have a lot of difficulty scheduling a decent out of conference opponent for the new open week, since most Power 5 teams have their schedules set until at least 2020.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #8536
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
True, although in a lot of cases other championship games end up being rematches as well.

Really its just the Pac 12 and VT

Since 2005 (10 years)
SEC - 1 time (2010)
ACC - 4 times (07, 08 (VT both times), 09, 11 (VT)
B1G - 2 (11,12)
Pac 12 - Every year (5 for 5)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #8537
Logan
Head Coach

B1G announces they're going to begin playing six Friday night games a year starting next season.

Last edited by Logan : 11-02-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #8538
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
B1G announces they're going to begin playing six Friday night games a year starting next season.

Can't wait for those Purdue/Maryland & Rutgers/Illinois matchups! Though seriously, I do wonder if they'll try to stick a marquee team playing a mid-pack team on those nights. With Harbaugh & Meyer there I could actually see those schools agreeing to play (other teams, not the Big Game) on a Friday night, at least for an away game.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #8539
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa-Nebraska is already on a Friday.

All of them will play it. I wonder if its a good move. High School football and all.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #8540
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand, high school football isn't all that big up North (at least in my experience).
Old 11-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #8541
Logan
Head Coach

ACC is playing 5 Fridays this year already along with 4 Thursdays. I don't think it's a very big deal and is surely part of the reason the TV payouts keep going up.

Having two of the six games be Friday of Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends help.

Last edited by Logan : 11-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #8542
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Can't wait for those Purdue/Maryland & Rutgers/Illinois matchups! Though seriously, I do wonder if they'll try to stick a marquee team playing a mid-pack team on those nights. With Harbaugh & Meyer there I could actually see those schools agreeing to play (other teams, not the Big Game) on a Friday night, at least for an away game.

Michigan has already said that it will not be participating in the Friday night games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #8543
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
On the other hand, high school football isn't all that big up North (at least in my experience).

Ever been to Ohio
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #8544
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
ACC is playing 5 Fridays this year already along with 4 Thursdays. I don't think it's a very big deal and is surely part of the reason the TV payouts keep going up.

Having two of the six games be Friday of Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends help.

Yep an as part of the deal Clemson and FSU will never host one.
Horrible horrible change.

Hate Friday night college games.

Such a disadvantage to the program. Recruits can't visit, coached can't recruit.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #8545
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Ever been to Ohio

Or Pennsylvania.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #8546
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Or Pennsylvania.

I haven't been been to ohio/Penn high school football games.

Are there many 10k fan draws?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-02-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #8547
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Michigan has already said that it will not be participating in the Friday night games.

And OSU and Wiscy said they won't give up a home game.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #8548
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Hey digamma, where did you put the dick-measuring thread again?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #8549
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First thing I thought of was how unpopular that Fri night stuff would be in OH & PA
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #8550
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

I live in Texas now but I'm guessing the big schools like Massillon, St. X, and Ignatius still average more than 10,000 per game.

It isnt just the big schools though. My wife's hometown High School stadium is larger than the town population yet they manage to fill it up most games. There may be more passionate high school football fans in Texas but Ohio isn't far behind.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote