Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

OT: Vitali Klitschko vs. Kirk Johnson

Two of the best heavyweights in the business and neither have a title.

Vitali (32-2, 31 KOs) is coming off beating the hell out of the paperweight Emperor of Boxing Lennox Lewis but was denied the titles due to a cut. Kirk Johnson (34-1-1 25 KOs) who trains down here is a very versitile fighter with some good power, a good jab and a good chin. In fact I think though shorter than Vitali who is a big heavyweight Kirk has a reach advantage. This should be a good fight and the winner of this fight should get a shot at Lennox. (as if)

The undercard is Joe Mesi (27-0, 25 KOs) vs Monte Barrett (29-2, 16 KOs). If Mesi is the one I am thinking of, he always fights in New York. I have seen him a couple times and haven't been too impressed by his beating club fighters in his hometown of Buffalo. Barrett is a better test than those guys, but he is a smaller heavyweight. He will have to knockout or completely dominate Mesi because he will never get judges points in MSG.

Discuss.

HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Discuss? You want me to discuss this? Well, I won't...

Why? Because I CAN'T! Comcast in their infinite wisdom decided to take away basic cable's last remaining PPV channel (at least in my area). So...no more PPV boxing for me.

Bastards.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Ah well

You didn't miss much. Mesi certainly didn't look like a #4 ranked heavyweight, in fact he was pretty much whipped from rounds 6-10 including getting knocked down. One judge had it a draw and the other two had it 1 and 2 points for Mesi.

Kirk looked like he added too much weight and got nailed in the 2nd round. Vitali pretty much made him a victim.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Discuss? You want me to discuss this? Well, I won't...

Why? Because I CAN'T! Comcast in their infinite wisdom decided to take away basic cable's last remaining PPV channel (at least in my area). So...no more PPV boxing for me.

Bastards.

Screw cable TV. Go with Direct TV. I had the same issues with Time Warner.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Mesi needs to get in the ring with fellow undefeated "prospect" Dominik Guinn. Then everyone will see how good Mesi really is.

Vitali vs. Corrie Sanders is interesting if it comes off, nothing like a quality revenge matchup to improve ratings.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

I got to see the fights on HBO. They showed them yesterday.

I think some people are overreacting to Mesi's near lose. I'm seeing people say he's done. That he will never be what everyone was hyping him to be. It's one fight. Everyone struggles at some point in there career. Everyone. Look at who Lennox lost to earlier in his career. KO'd by Oliver McCall. Mesi will bounce back. Like he said, he needed it.

As for Vitali, his next fight has to be a fight with Lewis. If I was his management, I would not risk a fight with Corrie Sanders. Unless of course, Lewis runs like a scared little girl after seeing Vitali kick the crap out of Kirk Johnson.

I don't know...I have this ill feelign that Lewis will tuck tail and run. He ran once. He said if Vitali could get a doctor to OK the eye, he'd fight him in December. That happened, and once it did, Lewis said he was taking the rest of the year off. I get the feeling he'll do it again. But I hope he won't.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

heh the Emperor has no balls.

I dunno sab, this was Mesi's best opponent and he looked average at best. Certainly not in the realm of a #4 ranking. A guy like Tua would mop him up right now. The one thing he did do was go 10 which he had never done before. He has to fight someone else I recognize outside of New York for me to take a serious look at him.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 12-08-2003 at 02:35 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Well, the key being right now. Yeah, he didn't look like a #4 contender. That ranking was certainly premature, and I thought that before this fight. This was his best opponent, and when you step up your competition in talent, chances are you're going to have an average-good night. I thought his performance was average too. I'm just saying, it was his first stab and legitimate competition, and he didn't do so bad that it warrents saying he'll never amount to anything.

It remains to be seen if this is as high as Mesi will go, or if he had an off night. His next fight against similar competition will tell that.

Last edited by sabotai : 12-08-2003 at 04:17 PM.