Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should people have a right to die with a phyiscian's assistance?
Yes 73 84.88%
No 6 6.98%
Abstain 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Right to Die

It's been over 5 years since Dr. Kevorkian passed. I'm curious to see if people have come to accept assisted suicide as a basic human right.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Right to die, sure.
With physicians assistance, not seeing that being a good idea.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

I abstained. I don't think it's a right but I've also been fortunate to not be in a position where this could be an issue and could feel different about it.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Right to die, sure.
With physicians assistance, not seeing that being a good idea.

Kinda where I fall as well.
So modified question, Jon. Right to buy the drugs to DIY painlessly?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Kinda where I fall as well.
So modified question, Jon. Right to buy the drugs to DIY painlessly?

I just made that "gah, damn that's tough" deep inhale sound.

I'm leaning no, since the most common drugs used seem to be seconal and nembutal, both of which has a history of recreational use (primarily the former apparently). That opens up the same concerns I have with, say, "medicinal" marijuana.

Bottom line for me, I guess, is that there are certainly a myriad of ways to kill oneself without increasing the potential for recreational abuse. I'm fairly loathe to open up that door any wider.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think I'd need a little more definition than that....like not necessarily a physician's assistance, which would obviously and unfortunately be a conflict of financial interest, but still someone's approval seems necessary. Especially since plenty of other medication these days seems to include the possibility of "homicidal or suicidal urges", and suicidal thoughts can be temporary for any other number of reasons, I'd be a little sketchy with entirely unfettered access to a suicide drug. I think some sort of "quality of life/health" standard would have to be included to prevent relatively healthy folks from offing themselves, but that doesn't feel like a very clean solution either.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

100% yes, with assistance. Sure there are lots of details to go through on exactly how to establish rules and procedures for it, but on the genearl concept, abso-fucking-lutely.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Abstained, because it is not cut and dry to me. My thinking largely falls in line with JIMGA's, with the individual having a right. I just don't see that most MD's would want to expose themselves assisting with this, similar to how many approve of medical MJ for pain control, but will not prescribe it due to the murky federal vs. state waters that could get them in trouble.

Same Pandora's box exists if you allow folks to buy these drugs on their own and the potential for 'abuse' that exists there.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I think I'd need a little more definition than that....like not necessarily a physician's assistance, which would obviously and unfortunately be a conflict of financial interest, but still someone's approval seems necessary. Especially since plenty of other medication these days seems to include the possibility of "homicidal or suicidal urges", and suicidal thoughts can be temporary for any other number of reasons, I'd be a little sketchy with entirely unfettered access to a suicide drug. I think some sort of "quality of life/health" standard would have to be included to prevent relatively healthy folks from offing themselves, but that doesn't feel like a very clean solution either.

Yeah, honestly I was thinking of the "I have a fatal disease and want to check out instead of suffering" scenario and not the "my life sucks I want to die" scenario.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I just don't see that most MD's would want to expose themselves assisting with this

On the lighter side, maybe it'd be a good choice for doctors who fall toward the very bottom of the bell curve.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-25-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah, honestly I was thinking of the "I have a fatal disease and want to check out instead of suffering" scenario and not the "my life sucks I want to die" scenario.

For the sake of discussion/thought ... in the light of your quote, who's to say what constitutes adequate "suffering"?

Ultimately life itself is fatal. If we stipulate that there's some "right" to die then doesn't that right exist if someone is merely a 9 on the pain assessment scale instead of a 10? And then a 7 instead of a 9?

And are we then to decide that only pain from X,Y, and/or Z causes qualify instead of pain from H, I, and/or J? The pain felt by those who suffer from depression or other forms of emotional distress is every bit as real to them as {insert horrific painful physical illness/condition here} sufferers experience.

It just seems to me that, in terms of "rights", either it exists or it doesn't.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
Shoveler
High School Varsity

Why make the process more complicated than it needs to be? If someone wants to die for any reason, they should have the opportunity to seek out professional help, sign a few forms, maybe wait a day or two in case they change their minds, and presto.. become a corpse.
Shoveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

As long as euthanasia is performed via roller coaster rather than by a creepy old man who is operating independently and may be encouraging suicide because he gets off on being close to death, I'm all for it.

Euthanasia Coaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
As long as euthanasia is performed via roller coaster rather than by a creepy old man who is operating independently and may be encouraging suicide because he gets off on being close to death, I'm all for it.

Euthanasia Coaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you claiming that Kevorkian was such a doctor?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #15
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Why make the process more complicated than it needs to be? If someone wants to die for any reason, they should have the opportunity to seek out professional help, sign a few forms, maybe wait a day or two in case they change their minds, and presto.. become a corpse.

What would the age limit be here? 18?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I can see the appeal of a night with Farrah Fawcett, then the ring ceremony and floating upward toward a painless death on my 30th birthday.

This in a world where life has no internal meaning. As I get older, and as someone with a serious disorder that brings constant pain, I ask this question once in a while. I don't have an answer. If all I had to do was fill out some forms and obtain a prescription, I doubt I'd be here today. But if life has no meaning to you, what's the point of prolonging it?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
BillJasper
Pro Starter

If someone doesn't want to be here, why stop them from leaving?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dammit, was about to bring up the euthanasia coaster

Last edited by stevew : 04-25-2016 at 03:56 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #19
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yes.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For the sake of discussion/thought ... in the light of your quote, who's to say what constitutes adequate "suffering"?

Ultimately life itself is fatal. If we stipulate that there's some "right" to die then doesn't that right exist if someone is merely a 9 on the pain assessment scale instead of a 10? And then a 7 instead of a 9?

And are we then to decide that only pain from X,Y, and/or Z causes qualify instead of pain from H, I, and/or J? The pain felt by those who suffer from depression or other forms of emotional distress is every bit as real to them as {insert horrific painful physical illness/condition here} sufferers experience.

It just seems to me that, in terms of "rights", either it exists or it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
If someone doesn't want to be here, why stop them from leaving?

The question of children/dependents makes this murky for me*......like I certainly wouldn't deny the pain that can come from depression or similar emotional issues, and wouldn't necessarily deny any individual the right to end such suffering, as long as I'm looking at them in a vacuum, but the possibility/probability that someone who is responsible for other people might off themselves due to temporary/short-term mental or emotional issues presents too much risk for me. Of course, that logic kind of ignores the fact that there's already any number of readily available, unintended instruments of suicide available to folks, should they choose, but I just struggle with the idea of making it "too easy". Like, should it be easier/cheaper to kill yourself than to talk to a therapist/doctor? Some folks are so exhausted they'd probably just take the route of less resistance, and I'd prefer it if suicide wasn't that option.

*seems worth mentioning my dad killed himself when I was 11. He had split when I was a baby, and I had almost zero contact with him, so it wasn't necessarily earth shattering, but it was of course traumatic, made me consider the topic of suicide from an early age, and effects my thinking on the matter to the extent that my thoughts always go to kids whenever the subject comes up. No apologies/acknowledgment necessary, and I'm completely comfortable discussing the subject, FWIW.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-25-2016 at 04:45 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Are you claiming that Kevorkian was such a doctor?

I've read anecdotal accounts of people who used to work with him and remember him randomly showing up at patients' deathbeds, presumably to try to be there the moment they died because he found it so interesting/exhilarating. Nothing about him trying to talk anybody into doing it. But I think there's a potential for abuse when something like that is carried out by an individual agent working alone. Obviously terminally ill people didn't and don't have a ton of options and were compelled to hire Dr. Death, but I'd prefer a world where it's regulated some and it's easy to obtain that "service" in a more official, organizationally sanctioned and observed manner. Dr. Kevorkian's services were basically the equivalent of back-alley abortions. Maybe some doctors performed illegal abortions because they were adamantly pro-choice and believed in that cause, but I'm sure there were plenty of scammers and creeps in the group too that were dangerous to women.

Last edited by molson : 04-25-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #22
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Yes but with a caveat that there is some intervention so doesn't become another outlet for suicide not related to quality of life.

Also, the physician assistance should be more on the technical side, to oversee to make sure it will not cause undue suffering to the patient (setup correctly).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Also, the physician assistance should be more on the technical side, to oversee to make sure it will not cause undue suffering to the patient (setup correctly).

Most doctors would consider this a violation of their oath. Many also feel suffering is somewhat subjective.

The most effective method is an overdose of barbiturates, which often requires an anti-emetic. It's not neurosurgery. Veterinarians do this all the time with shots.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm nowhere near qualified to answer this question, I'm against suicide, and would only consider it an available legal option in the most extreme situations....like agonizing, permanent pain I guess...it depends.

But if it were a legal option. Would others have a say in it? Family? Should anybody that would assume the debt (Spouse?) have a say in it?

So, if "Billy" has $100,000 in debt and he decides to off himself instead of paying up, who pays that money? (Serious question, I have no idea.)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I support the right to die, but Dutch raises a good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
So, if "Billy" has $100,000 in debt and he decides to off himself instead of paying up, who pays that money? (Serious question, I have no idea.)

We live in a country (well, most of us) where huge numbers of people are on disability who shouldn't be, aided by a cottage industry of doctors and lawyers who help put them there. I've linked this before, but: http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

I just don't have a lot of faith that the U.S. could put together and sustain a good and workable legal process for this such as, say, Switzerland: Euthanasia in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I'm not saying the Swiss version is perfect, either.

So yes, in theory. But big doubts about the actual practicality of the practice, at least in the United States.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If you want some real life examples, there's a documentary called 'How to Die in Oregon' that's a great movie about the topic.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

If there's a co-signer, that person becomes responsible the debt, and if there's not, the creditor gets in line in the estate settlement process. If there's not enough to distribute, they don't get their money back. Nobody but a co-signer inherits debt, but someone could see the inheritance they would have otherwise received get eaten up by debt obligations of the dead person.

I don't know if states that have legal euthanasia consider the debt situation of the patient. Presumably at that point the patient isn't earning money and is actually costing everyone around them a lot of money (including their creditors, ultimately.) So I imagine in most cases euthanasia is a net positive financial event for the family and the patient's creditors.

Last edited by molson : 04-26-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

My Right to Die | Mother Jones
Old 10-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So I imagine in most cases euthanasia is a net positive financial event for the family and the patient's creditors.

Especially when you consider the last months are very expensive if you are in a permanently hospitalized or hospice situation.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-25-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

One Man’s Quest to Change the Way We Die

Not exactly on the same topic, but it seems related. An article about how we handle people who are dying.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-05-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #31
Gaelic Hill
n00b

I once wrote an essay about government/religion telling citizens what they can/cannot do with their own body (right to die, unhealthy eating, prostitution, drugs, fight clubs, etc). Government was NOT created for this purpose, and many of the Greek philosophers agree with me. Bottom line for me is, let those throwing stones switch places with somebody in terrible chronic pain, then I will listen to their opinion.
Gaelic Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #32
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

maybe this should be extended to talk about taking away people's health insurance and allowing them to die too?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
maybe this should be extended to talk about taking away people's health insurance and allowing them to die too?

If people are paying for their health insurance, why would you take it away?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 AM   #34
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Maybe this is a hair off topic, but do you know that, on average, 20 or so veterans commit suicide each DAY? That is so sad and depressing.
Gaelic Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:23 AM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic Hill View Post
Maybe this is a hair off topic, but do you know that, on average, 20 or so veterans commit suicide each DAY? That is so sad and depressing.

That is terrible.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #36
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. It's sad what our endless wars do to people in the military.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #37
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

For a few years, I handled misdemeanor cases off of a military base. Mainly DUI, simple drug possession, and simple assaults. The influence of mental-illness there was shocking. I know that I saw a very skewed sample size (the folks whose turn to substances and/or domestic violence was so strong as to result in criminal charges), so I cannot really talk to the scope of the problem as a percentage of enlisted personnel.

But the problem is real. I am now a huge advocate of increased resources for mental health treatment for the military. There are a LOT of folks suffering out there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #38
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My 2 cents from a career in healthcare. You have a right to die if you make that choice. People make that choice every day. You do not have a right to tell a doctor or a nurse that they have to kill you.
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote