Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #151
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Had not realized Michigan is 4-8 in their last 12. At this point I think the team has tuned out Hoke, and I'm not sure how much of it isn't still Gardner not developing into the QB they want. He's been around a long time to be throwing that bad of INTs.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #152
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

A day later and the perspective that a second viewing and sobriety brings and I want to return here to post a few comments.

Sorry for being so charged up last night...I dont usually post like that..but that was me, raw honest, a tad inebriated, and well genuine.

I have to fully agree Clemson gave that game away more than FSU won it. I think I bristled at the term "choke" as it implied they lost to an inferior opponent.

The missed FGs are inexcusable...Jon and I shared Pms 2 years ago about our Kicker(he played against the school Jon did PBP for IIRC) ...I didnt see it when we signed him, I knew he didnt have it when he dropped out of school for a semester as a freshman when his GF dumped him, and I hope he never kicks for Clemson again. Honestly we have an OG who would have hit 1 of those 2 FGs...

The late fumble was in my opinion a great play by an AA Dlineman to make the strip. Not that it excuses anything but when you have a walk on RB against a 5* Under Armor AA those type of things will happen. Again it isnt acceptable, but it is explicable, imho.

The long TD pass was a football play. Mack fell down. He is a freshman, he shut down a senior all night. He made one error and it proved very costly. Tripping, stumbling, falling happens at times in football. Especially when you are covering a great WR. That we were in zero with no one over the top exacerbated the slip. But he didnt fall down because the pressure chocked him, he simply fell down.

I see it as a blown opportunity. A missed golden opportunity. But it was missed as much because FSU made great plays with great players more so than because Clemson "choked"

I'm worried about UNC next week. They come in hungry and embarrassed after ECU hung 70 on them, and as of an hour ago it was said to me..."these kids are still in Tally...we have to be careful not to lose this game again next week"...they werent mad in film review they were hurting.

Next week will tell a ton about this Clemson season. #1 Dabo has FINALLY announced that Watson is the starter moving forward. Its his time. If the Defense shows up with the same intensity it did last night it wont matter. UNC will get embarrassed 2 weeks in a row...

But I fear the let down.

Anyway that is what makes sports so great. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat and all that.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #153
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Solid follow up post.

Certainly wasn't trying to rile up the masses, but I call em like I see em.

I also fully watched the UNC -ECU game and I can say you shouldn't be worried. Cant remember the last game I saw a team that had such poor fundamental tackling as UNC. It was beyond embarrassing. Not talking about the number of points they allowed, but the execution.

FOFC is one of the few message boards where most of the ppl reading this would understand, but it was like many of the ECU pirates were on tecmo bowl and skip holtz was button mashing like crazy and the Tar heel defenders were flying off after making initial contact.

Also, no reason in hell Watson isn't starting already. Was pretty evident in week one for anyone with a pulse.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #154
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Sak: I know you do college and not pro, but a situation came up in the Denver/Seattle game that seems wrong. The Seahawks had a pass play for positive yardage and there was also a flag for Defensive Holding. The officials gave the penalty and applied the five yards on top of the yardage gained on the pass.

Do you know if that's right? I'm not sure I've ever seen a penalty like that added to the yardage gained.

I responded to this in the NFL thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
In the Texas game, the ball was recovered by the Aggies in the end zone, brought out, and then fumbled back into the end zone where the Aggies once again recovered it.

My thought process was that if it went off of the NC Central player, they were the last ones to touch it, and since the Towson player had a foot out of bounds, the ball was dead, not a safety.

I was just giving you a hard time. The reason it was a 1 point safety was because the Towson player possessed it and threw it (fumbled) it into the endzone. That backwards pass was the force the put the ball in the end zone.

Had the Towson player batted the ball instead of possessing and throwing it...it would have just been a touchback (try No Good in this case). Batting does not provide a new force.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #155
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-22-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #156
Kodos
Resident Alien

A totally overused meme at this point, but I was amused.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #157
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yes you do...good job. The reason I said Cartman should know is because it happened once in a Texas game and I remember him bringing it up.

LOL - It was against Texas A&M in the glorious VY and Clapper Mack years. I was a few beers in and remember losing my shit over it. It all went back to the defense "possessing" the ball and fumbling. Still pisses me off
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #158
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Had not realized Michigan is 4-8 in their last 12. At this point I think the team has tuned out Hoke, and I'm not sure how much of it isn't still Gardner not developing into the QB they want. He's been around a long time to be throwing that bad of INTs.

They have Minnesota this week so as long as they're capable of stopping a mediocre rushing offense with 9 or 10 in the box they should have an easy win.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #159
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And he will laugh his face off. Same as my Dad mentioning Les Miles as a possibility. Those ships have sailed. They need to find somebody that fits for them and has built up a Power 5 conference team. I wouldn't be against Michigan's AD showing up on Narduzzi's door step with a truck load of money and see what happens. I don't think Hell is cold enough for it to happen, but it would be interesting.
I dunno. There's a growing school of thought that Harbaugh can't stay in any one place for too long before pissing off everyone around him and/or him needing a new challenge. There was a lot of smoke out of SF this past off-season about Harbaugh and the Niners potentially parting ways, and nothing about how the season has started off for them suggests to me that Harbaugh might not be willing to listen to an offer from his alma mater.

I have no idea whether it's likely he would seriously consider an offer from Michigan, but I don't think you can discount the possibility either.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #160
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Huskies looking forward to Stanford and are on the verge of being down two scores to Georgia State.
That first half was as ugly a half of football as I've seen from the Huskies in my 37 years of going to Husky Stadium. That includes the abomination that was Ty Willingham's last season.

At least they woke up and did in the 2nd half what they should have done in the 1st half. Too bad they waited that long to do it, as it cost the 2nd & 3rd stringers significant playing time that they should have had.

I really have no idea what to expect from this team next week. I'm pretty sure Petersen has kept some things under wraps in the pre-season, and he's certainly shown a few interesting looks along the way that he can build off of, but I'm not that confident in our offense producing against the Cardinal D, and other than Marcus Peters (who is playing like a 1st rounder), our green secondary doesn't inspire a lot of trust that we can contain Ty Montgomery, Michael Rector and Devon Cajuste.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #161
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I dunno. There's a growing school of thought that Harbaugh can't stay in any one place for too long before pissing off everyone around him and/or him needing a new challenge. There was a lot of smoke out of SF this past off-season about Harbaugh and the Niners potentially parting ways, and nothing about how the season has started off for them suggests to me that Harbaugh might not be willing to listen to an offer from his alma mater.

Jim Harbaugh wouldn't even look at Bruce Arians during the postgame handshake

The problem is would he really work out for Michigan in the end? I'm guessing no.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #162
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Jim Harbaugh wouldn't even look at Bruce Arians during the postgame handshake

The problem is would he really work out for Michigan in the end? I'm guessing no.
Even if Harbaugh only lasted 3-4 years at Michigan, I think they would - and should - take it. The job he did at Stanford was one of - if not the - best turnarounds/culture transformations/whatever you want to call it of any modern college football program.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #163
Butter
Coordinator

But I would hate for Michigan to give up so soon on Brady Hoke. I really think they need 4-5 more years before they will really know if he will pan out. I think he needs to continue to deliberately antagonize all of Michigan's rivals, too. That seems to work really well... though I don't think they'll be able to drop Sparty and OSU off the schedule like they did Notre Dame.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #164
bronconick
College Starter

Gotta keep that 100k game attendance streak going.

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #165
tarcone
Coordinator

And thats a rivalry game.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #166
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

In that a trophy is involved.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #167
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Kinda sort of...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #168
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

By This Grainy Screenshot We Will Curse Thy Name | mgoblog

Pretty much tells me all I need to know about Hoke. I guess I'm just surprised that Nussmeier isn't taking over more of the offense in terms of pacing and such.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #169
tarcone
Coordinator

Be happy your AD hasn't offered Hoke a 10 year extension with a 75% of the entire contract buy out clause. If that happens, I will cry in my beer with you.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #170
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If Hoke gets extended, the AD is gone.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #171
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
A day later and the perspective that a second viewing and sobriety brings and I want to return here to post a few comments.

Sorry for being so charged up last night...I dont usually post like that..but that was me, raw honest, a tad inebriated, and well genuine.

I have to fully agree Clemson gave that game away more than FSU won it. I think I bristled at the term "choke" as it implied they lost to an inferior opponent.

The missed FGs are inexcusable...Jon and I shared Pms 2 years ago about our Kicker(he played against the school Jon did PBP for IIRC) ...I didnt see it when we signed him, I knew he didnt have it when he dropped out of school for a semester as a freshman when his GF dumped him, and I hope he never kicks for Clemson again. Honestly we have an OG who would have hit 1 of those 2 FGs...

The late fumble was in my opinion a great play by an AA Dlineman to make the strip. Not that it excuses anything but when you have a walk on RB against a 5* Under Armor AA those type of things will happen. Again it isnt acceptable, but it is explicable, imho.

The long TD pass was a football play. Mack fell down. He is a freshman, he shut down a senior all night. He made one error and it proved very costly. Tripping, stumbling, falling happens at times in football. Especially when you are covering a great WR. That we were in zero with no one over the top exacerbated the slip. But he didnt fall down because the pressure chocked him, he simply fell down.

I see it as a blown opportunity. A missed golden opportunity. But it was missed as much because FSU made great plays with great players more so than because Clemson "choked"

I'm worried about UNC next week. They come in hungry and embarrassed after ECU hung 70 on them, and as of an hour ago it was said to me..."these kids are still in Tally...we have to be careful not to lose this game again next week"...they werent mad in film review they were hurting.

Next week will tell a ton about this Clemson season. #1 Dabo has FINALLY announced that Watson is the starter moving forward. Its his time. If the Defense shows up with the same intensity it did last night it wont matter. UNC will get embarrassed 2 weeks in a row...

But I fear the let down.

Anyway that is what makes sports so great. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat and all that.

Still a Clemson record
Old 05-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #172
Butter
Coordinator

What record are you referring to?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #173
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
#1 Dabo has FINALLY announced that Watson is the starter moving forward. Its his time. If the Defense shows up with the same intensity it did last night it wont matter. UNC will get embarrassed 2 weeks in a row...

Watson's first start. He set the Clemson all tiem record for TD passes in a game. It stood throughout his career.