Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #51
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Butter, a few things:

-First, an uphill 185 yard par 3 is incredibly difficult for many, many golfers, not just you.
-Also, +19 is pretty great over 18 holes. Similarly, nothing worse than double bogey is something to celebrate. Consistency is a very, very difficult thing in golf.
-Hitting ANY green from 90 yards away is an accomplishment, even more so for an 11 year old who hasn't been golfing long.

Sounds like it was an awesome afternoon, glad you were able to enjoy it

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #52
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oh yeah, as for me...

I should probably start with how I got here. I'm a member at a small golf course in the Santa Cruz mountains called Boulder Creek Golf and Country Club. We play about 15 tournaments a year, and have a good time. Since we're members with the NCGA (Northern California Golf Association), we have a couple of Qualifier tournaments a year - the winners qualify for a regional tournament to be played later. Last December, I won my first golf tournament ever, an NCGA Regional Qualifier. In May, I played in an NCGA Regional Tournament with the guy who took second place in that tournament, Greg. We're both around a 19 handicap, so we get to take one stroke off of our score for every hole. The regional tournament was a Best Ball format: we each play our own ball all the way through, and our team takes one score for each hole: whichever of us scored lower. Our regional tournament was in May, and we played at Ridgemark in Hollister, CA. We managed a -9 as a team in Hollister (using mostly his scores - I carded 3 holes, he carded 7 holes and we split 8 holes) - so Greg "carried" us in that tournament. My saving grace was that the three holes that we used MY score for were the three lowest handicapped holes on the course - so the three toughest. That being said, I felt like I owed our Greg some good play after that tournament.

Our -9 was good for 2nd place in the regional, and the top 4 teams qualified for the Championship round (also best ball), to be played in June at Spyglass Hill and Quail Lodge. Today was day one of that tournament, at Spyglass Hill. Also, as a note - Greg and I are both around a 20 handicap, so we each get 19 strokes per round - we get to subtract one stroke each hole (and 2 strokes on the toughest hole on the course) to determine our net score.

Spyglass Hill is right down the street from Pebble Beach in Monterey, and is a premier golf course - it's $370 for greens fees, and that's if you're staying at the resort (which is about $700 per night). Since we won our entry, we did not have to pay to play. I'm happy and lucky to be here, and totally excited about it.

We start our round in the morning, at 8:40 AM. Because of the number of people in the tournament, they're sending people off 1 and 10, and we drew hole 10 to start with, so we start on the back nine. It's a short par 4 at 366 yards, and I pull my tee shot left into the trees. I am unable to get a full backswing without hitting a tree, and my second shot attempt completely misses the ball - which counts as a stroke anyway. I pull a typical Vince move and blow up the first hole with a 9 on a par 4 - but Greg stays strong, and despite missing a three foot putt, gets a 5 for a net par. After one, we're at even par.

Hole 11 is a long dogleg right par 5. I hit my drive quite well, but pulled my approach shot to the right. I chipped up close, but not on the green, and from just off the green I didn't hit a very good chip. Three putts later, I'm down in 7. Greg, however, continues his solid play and gets a par 5 - with our one stroke, that puts us at -1 for the tournament.

12 is a 145 yard par 3, slightly downhill to a narrow green with bunkers guarding the right side and a small pond all along the left side of the green. Also, the green is sloped entirely toward the water. After going +5/+2 to open, I'm not exactly brimming with confidence...but I step up and hit an 8 iron to 5 feet...and I nail the birdie putt. With our stroke for handicap, that's a -2 for the hole and puts us at -3 for the tournament after three holes.

Hole 13 is a long, uphill par 4 with a narrow fairway. Which is a steady theme at this course - everything is narrow, and if it's not long, the wind is in your face. I manage to hit the fairway off the tee with a pretty fantastic drive...but my 4 Iron into the green is pushed a little bit, and I trickle into the bunker on the right. Unfortunately, it literally trickled in, and my lie is such that I have to have my right foot up on the rough outside the bunker and my left foot down in the sand. I can do no better than pushing the ball forward to the middle of the bunker, which is highly disappointing, especially since Greg has pulled his approach way left into the pine straw past the rough. I blast my second shot way over the green and back through the rough to the ugly second cut, and it's down to hoping Greg can do something with his third shot out of the pine straw...and he does! With an amazing chip, he's 8 feet away and we actually have a shot at par. I chip to about 12 feet away and 2 putt for 7 and a double bogey. Greg comes about 3 inches from hitting his par putt but hits the bogey to keep us at -3.

Hole 14 is a 514 yard par 5 with a slight dogleg right off the tee, then it straightens back out with another slight dogleg left. A pond guards the approach on the right side of the fairway. I hit a great tee shot, about 270 right down the middle of the fairway. Out of range from the green, I chip it another 140 to about 100 yards away, and manage my approach shot to about 15 feet away. A routine two putt from 15 feet, and my par carries the hole and we're down to -4 for the tournament after 5 holes.

15 is a very short 98 yard par 3, and it's downhill. We have some wind in our face, though, so it's playing all of its 98 yards downhill or not. I square up a soft pitching wedge, and put it on the left side of the green at about 25 feet. Play a solid lay-up putt, hit a good 8 footer and I suddenly have back-to-back pars and we're at -5 for the tournament.

Hole 16, called Black Dog, is the hardest hole on the back nine. 440 yards, uphill, and with a severe dogleg right. On top of that, there's a tree in the middle of the fairway which you can't see from the tee, and if you don't crush your drive, you're going to end up right behind it and in a lot of trouble. Greg, a big hitter, crushes it through the fairway, taking the tree out of the equation but leaving himself a shot from the rough at the green. I hit a fantastic drive and end up barely eking past the tree for a clean shot at the green. I hit my approach really fat, taking up a huge divot of grass and ending up short and right of the green in the rough. Greg nails his approach and is on the green with a 25-footer for birdie. I end up carding a 7, and Greg gets a 3-putt for bogey, leaving us at -5.

Hole 17 is amazingly only 301 yards and a par 4. That being said, it's all uphill, and it's a completely blind tee shot. No idea where it's going to land. I blast my driver right over the bunker to the left of the fairway and manage to keep it on the short grass, giving me a nice short pitch to the hole. I hit a nice easy sand wedge and it rolls to about 5 feet away...just a fantastic approach. It's kind of crazy what a putt like that does to you - it's really a simple, simple putt, but knowing it's for birdie changes everything. I knock it right home, and card my second birdie of the round! We're -7 after 8 holes!

18 is another short par 4 that plays way longer because it's uphill. The tee box points right at the fairway bunker along the right side of the narrow fairway, so we aim along the left side and hope...and my drive can't quite find the fairway. I hit it well, but it leaked to the right side and caught the rough just past the fairway bunker. A messy approach shot and a poor chip put me just off the green lying 3. The chip that eventually hit the green was struck well, but I hit it too hard, and put myself about 30 feet from the pin. three putts later, and I'm down in 7. Thankfully, Greg carded a 6 to limit the damage, and we go into the turn at -6 for the tournament.

So after 9 holes, I'm playing my usual inconsistent game - two birdies, two pars...but a double bogey, three triple bogeys and a +5, and I'm out at 50 strokes, +14 gross. Greg is doing slightly better at 47 out. As a whole, we're doing a great job of ham & egging it - only having one player at a time screw up so we can use the other good score. In 9 holes, we played 3 at even par, 1 at over par and 5 at under par net - including our handicap.

Now we move on to the first tee, our 10th of the day. #1 is a long par five, all downhill with a dogleg to the left. It's WAY downhill, so as long as you can catch the fairway, it'll roll for a long, long while. And that's just what I do, absolutely blistering my drive right down the left side of the fairway. 315 yards later, it comes to rest just off the right side in the rough. Even though I'm only about 220 out, the green is very large and ringed with huge, foreboding bunkers. I've got that kind of range with my 3 wood, but I don't have any sort of accuracy, so I play it safe and lay up with a 9-iron. Which I shank and pull straight left. Thankfully, it stays just short of the bunkers, and I have a safe shot at the green - which is especially helpful because Greg is having a lot of trouble on this hole. I put my chip just off the back side of the green, and if I can hit a nice shot, I might have a shot at gaining another stroke on this hole for the team. Alas...that was not to be the case. I hit what felt like a good putt from just off the green, but it just didn't have the guts to make it up the hill, and I was left with 10 more feet. My par putt passed the hole about one inch on the left side, and I was left with a tap-in bogey. Somewhat frustrating, but we didn't give up any ground, and we remained at -6.

Hole 2 is another short par 4, this one at only 345 yards. The green, however, is a solid 60 feet above the tee box and the majority of the fairway, plus this is where the course opens up from the Del Monte forest to the coast of the Pacific, and the wind starts to play a major factor on this hole. About 200 yards from the hole, the fairway gets ridiculously narrow as you start to climb the massive hill to the green. I opt for a 4-iron, hoping to put myself on the nice landing area in the fairway with a 130-ish yard shot at the green. Unfortunately, I catch my tee shot fat and push it to the right...short and in the rough. I'm left with 160 yards uphill and into a fierce wind. Thankfully Greg put his tee shot up near the narrow neck of the fairway, hopefully with enough room to bail us out. I'm still away, so I step up with the same 4-iron, playing the shot at about 180 yards due to the hill and the wind. My goal is to land the ball on the rough just in front of the green, hitting the big hill to hopefully deaden its momentum forward so I don't run way past the hole. I hit a beautiful shot, just left of the stick and fading to the right, hit the hill just where I want to. It still looks a little hard though, and we're expecting that the ball will have skipped through the green - we can't see, because the landing area is way over our heads. Greg puts his approach to the right side of the green in some heavy rough - not ideal, but not in a bad place. We walk up to the green...to see that my ball is lying 5 feet from the cup on the left side - apparently I hit it even better than expected! I nail the putt for my third birdie of the day, and we move on to -8 for the tournament!

Three is a 125 yard par three, but it's completely wide open on the beach and unprotected in any way from the wind. The green is surrounded on all sides by beach, iceplant and thick grasses, so missing the green is not at all advisable. The wind is blowing hard from right to left, and I put my pitching wedge up in the air off to the left of the green...and the wind blows it neatly back on line, and I'm left with a 16 foot birdie putt uphill! Greg makes a nice tee shot, but the wind blows him offline and though he lands on the green, it rolls to the right just a little off the green onto the fringe. Unfortunately, our playing partners, a group out of Coyote Creek Golf Club, struggled mightily with this hole, putting up a 10 and an 11. After watching them struggle in the beach sand and the greenside bunker, it was finally Greg's turn to putt at the pin. Despite the two of us reading the putt as fairly straight, our caddie indicated that he should play a heavy right-to-left break. He trusted in his caddie...and put his 90+ foot putt about three inches from the cup! With no pressure on me to leave my putt close, I gunned for the cup hard and missed left. Unfortunately, I hit it far too hard, and was left with a 12-footer coming back...but I sunk it for par. Greg hit his par as well, and we were -9 through 12 holes for the tournament.

Hole four, despite being the #4 handicap hole (therefore the 4th hardest on the course), is in my mind the most difficult on the course. It's a par four, and only 345 yards...but the approach to the green is insane. Your tee shot has a nice big landing area, but once you hit it about 250 or so, it gets extremely narrow. The green is about 10 yards wide, maybe - and at least 100 yards deep. On either side is beach, iceplant and ugliness, and protecting the front right side is a deep bunker. Not only that, but the back half of the green (where the pin was tucked today) is on a plateau that is at least 7 feet below the rest of the surface of the green. Greg hit a monster drive that ended up in the narrow neck of the fairway about 80 yards out. I hit a safer approach, leaving myself 170 or so to the pin, and about 150 or so to where I wanted to be on the front half of the green. I decided on a nice easy 7-iron, and took a nice easy swing. Great swing, made fantastic contact with the ball. The NCGA photographer took a perfect shot of me as I was taking the shot...and I put it right in the green side bunker. So while the picture is going to look AWESOME...the shot was not so awesome. Greg, meanwhile, completely shanked his second shot into the really long grass that dotted the beach. It took him another two shots to get on the green. I was able to get out of the bunker in one shot, but couldn't get the shot down past the giant hill to the back of the green. My approach from the rough slid way past the hole to the back side, and I two putted from there for 6. Greg also managed a 6, and we slid back to -8 for the tournament.

The next hole, 5, is a 135 yard par 3. It's the last hole out on the pacific Ocean before heading back into the Del Monte Forest. Wind still playing a large role, it's slightly at our back - which pretty much negates the uphill to the pin. The green is very wide, but also very shallow. The large part of the green is the right side, which is nice and deep, but the pin is tucked to the left in the shallow portion - and the front is guarded by some extremely deep bunkers. So if you're going at the pin, you better have the right distance. I pull out my 9-iron and aim for the middle of the green - I have a slight fade shot, so it travels left-to-right typically. I figure this movement combined with the wind will push me to the right side of the green where it's safe. I step up, put a great swing on it...but I pull it left of my intended target! Instead of hitting towards the big safe part of the green, it's now flying right at the pin, where I have about 10 yards of leeway, maybe. I'm worried, but the guys around me are making happy noises...and it lands soft on the green! I'm about 18 feet past the pin, with a downhill putt for birdie! Greg makes the bunker on the right side of the green and then takes three strokes to get out, so now it's up to me. The putt is downhill with a very slight right-to-left break...and I hit it like a little girl, leaving an 18 foot downhill putt 10 feet short. I'm furious with myself...but I take a little walk, calm down, and calmly knock in the 10 footer for par, giving us yet another stroke! -9 for the tournament!

Hole 6 is a basic 379 yard par 4, again uphill. Some fairway bunkers could give you trouble, but I knocked my drive just past the right fairway bunker and ended up on the short grass. Hit my 6-iron approach well...but pushed it just slightly left. I really liked the shot, but the caddy thought it might not end well...and he was right. In the greenside bunker. Greg put his approach deep into the thick stuff, so neither of us was looking particularly solid at this point. I managed to get a very nice out, but came out a little too strong and ended up on the backside of the green about 20 feet away. Greg had some trouble getting out of the tall grass, but managed a 6. A tidy two-putt from me gave us a bogey 5 and we moved on safe at -9

Hole 7 is the shortest par 5 on the course at 480, but it has a pond guarding the left side of the approach to the green. Still riding the high wave of confidence, I hit a fantastic shot off the tee and left myself 215 to the pin. Greg, after a good drive that leaked a little right and ended up in the rough, hit a very nice 9-iron to about 110 yards, just shy of the water. So I'm looking at a 215 yard shot into a narrow green with water on the left...but I did just watch my partner hit a perfect approach shot. My 3-wood is a very reliable 220 yards...but is not really all that reliable on a left-to-right basis. I brought both the 3-wood and the 9-iron from the cart, and once I got there, consulted the caddy. "Here's what I think. You're hitting the ball real well right now. Let's say you put it in the water. You drop, you still have an outside shot at par - not to mention your partner is sitting pretty with a good par opportunity. I say you go for it." When I miss with my 3-wood, it almost always fades or slices to the right - where there were trees, but no water or hazard. So I decided to go for it. It did not go so well. I hit it well, but pulled it dead left, hit the trees to the left side of the water and landed in the hazard. We were able to find the ball, but it was in some poison oak and I didn't really have a shot, so I had to drop back in front of the water. I was able to get up and down (with two putts) from there for a 6, but Greg was a champ and managed to put his approach to 7 feet. He then nailed the putt for his first birdie and our fourth net eagle to put us at -11 for the tournament with two holes to play.

Hole 8 is called Signal Hill. It's a short-ish par four at 354 yards, but it's insanely uphill, and is the number one handicap hole on the course. It's the only hole Greg and I get two "pops" on - so we can subtract two from our score for the hole to get our net total. We both hit strong drives into the fairway, but the hole is so far uphill that even though we only have about 120 to the pin, the caddy recommends we play our shots at about 170 distance due to elevation and wind. We both hit good shots, but end up on the left front of the green. The pin is back left, and it's all uphill to the hole. Greg has about 70 feet to the pin and I'm sitting at about 55 feet, all uphill with a big left-to-right break. Greg leaves his putt about 10 feet short, and I wind up with a solid crack...and put it 25 feet past the hole. I had a pretty good line, I just hit the crap out of it. I make the best of my misfortune and hit a phenomenal second putt, but it ends up just inches short, and I tap in for a bogey 5. Greg also three putts, and we gladly get off the hole at a net -1, pushing us to -12 for the tournament with one hole to play.

Hole 9, our hole 18. Longer than 8 at 394 yards and a par four, it is also uphill, though not nearly as severely as hole 8 is. Greg leads off and hits a great drive, but pulls it slightly and ends up left of the fairway. On my tee shot, my slice finally rears its ugly head, and I end up short of the fairway bunker on the right. Nothing daunting...yet. The green is elevated quite a bit from the fairway, and has some steep and dangerous bunkers surrounding the front. I'm about 190 out, but with the hill it's looking more like 210, and while I CAN hit my 3-iron that far, it's not that likely a prospect in the crappy lie I have in the tall grass. I line up anyway, thinking there are two options: 1) I hit the crap out of the ball, it's perfect, and we celebrate like drunken loons. 2) I hit it well, but it doesn't get there and leaves me with a short chip up to the green. I failed to account for option 3) I duff the crap out of it and almost end up in the bunker 10 yards in front of me. So now I'm lying 3 and I'm in the rough just past the fairway bunker with 160 long yards to the green, which is very well protected by deep, steep bunkers. Greg, meanwhile, is hitting every single tree on the left side of the fairway. I line up a 4-iron, thinking to hit it nice and easy and drop it on the green. I put a good swing on it, hit it well...but push it, fairly hard out to the right. To the right of the green is the Spyglass Grill, the place where Greg and I had breakfast. My shot is leaking over that way, and it looks like I'm going to hit the roof...but it drops in front of the building! And it hits metal! Bounds straight left, back into play! Talk about our lucky day! I hit a trash can and ricocheted directly back into play. So I'm still alive, lying three. Only I'm right at the base of a tree, and I literally can't even take a backswing because of the trunk of the tree. Meanwhile, on the left side of the fairway, Greg has taken six shots and he isn't even on the green yet. So it appears as if it's up to me. I size up the shot, and realize that to get a backswing on it, I'm going to have to aim far to the right, at the back of the green. Fortunately, this lets me avoid the bunkers, but unfortunately it's going to leave me about a 60 foot putt that is waaaaaaaaay downhill and dangerous. I use a hooded 7-iron to keep it under the tree, and I put it up on the apron at the back of the green. Now I'm lying 4, hitting 5 (bogey), but I have a really difficult shot ahead of me. Between the caddy and I, we decide my shot is a putt over about four feet of fringe, and aiming to stop it about 15 feet away from me. The hill will bring it all the way down to the hole. I execute almost perfectly, pushing it out on the green and catching the hill just before the ball stops. It starts picking up speed, and it's tracking right at the hole! Unfortunately, it stops about 6 feet short, but that ends up being a sensational shot from my prior position. I line up the double-bogey 6, directly down the hill...barely breathe on it, hit it right on my line...and it rolls 7 feet past the hole. So now I'm looking at a 7 foot putt up the hill for a triple-bogey 7. Greg has finally finished at +6 10 for the hole. I line up, take aim...step away, take a deep breath, line back up...and sink the 7-footer for a net +2, leaving us at -10 for the tournament.

After shaking hands with our competitors and congratulating each other on a great round, Greg and I head up to see the results...and as of now, after day one of the tournament, we are the tournament leaders at 62! Two teams are tied for 2nd at 64, there's another team at 65, and 5 more teams right behind them at 66. The final round is tomorrow at Quail Lodge, an 'easier' course. We're probably going to have to shoot pretty well to stay in the lead, but we're excited and confident going into tomorrow!

Here's how my scorecard looked for the day, I shot a 94:

+5: 1
Triple Bogey: 4
Double Bogey: 2
Bogey: 4
Par: 4
Birdie: 3

There's a write up of the tournament so far on the NCGA website if you'd like to check it out.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-24-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

Nice job! Good luck today!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #54
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So here's a reader's digest version of the final round today - didn't mean to get so wordy on the Spyglass update

Today's round was at Quail Lodge, in Carmel. It's a beautiful course, set a few miles inland - so no beach views, nor much wind to worry about. It's a much easier course than Spyglass (126 slope vs. 137 at Spyglass), but it isn't without its trouble. We were paired with two gentlemen from Fresno, one of the two teams that shot 64 yesterday to begin the day two strokes behind us.

All day long I was missing putts by less than three inches. I had four three-putt bogeys on the front nine alone. That being said, we did a good job of staying in it, and snagged a net eagle on the 9th hole to put us at -4 on the day (-14 overall). What was worrisome, however, was our opponents. Jose (who's a 15 handicap) was on fire, shooting par after par after par. He made three different sandy par saves on the day, and ended up with a +8 79 by himself! By the fourth hole they had not only caught up the two stroke difference, but were a stroke ahead. We stayed strong and kept the difference at one stroke, and then around the 12th hole got our one shot lead back. We were focusing mostly on the golf, however, and weren't keeping a close watch on where we stood versus the other team. We also had no idea how the other teams who went off before us were doing - for all we knew, they were shooting the lights out and we were out of contention already.

Sitting on the 18th tee box, Greg and I did some napkin math, and figured that we were ahead of the guys we were paired with by one stroke - we were -5 on the day and they were -6 on the day. 18 is a long par four with a hazard on both sides of a relatively narrow fairway. Greg gets out there long and straight, and I decide to play conservatively, taking a 4-iron off the tee and stroking it pure down the middle. With about 190 to the pin, I hit a very nice 3-iron to about 22 feet, and we're looking very good to remain ahead of our competitors. Greg makes an equally impressive approach, and has even less of a putt than I do at about 15 feet, although he is just off the back of the green. He misses the birdie putt but leaves a tap-in for par, so we're in at a guaranteed -6 - and if I hit my 22-foot birdie putt, the tournament is all but won. Jose and Manny get down with a par as well, and it's up to my putt...and I roll it to the right side of the cup, leaving less than half an inch between my ball and the hole. So close, and yet so far. So we go in at -6 on the day - respectable, but not amazing. Going over the scorecards to ensure that we have the right scores, it turns out we missed one of our opponents, so instead of the -7 we thought they were, they came in at -8 and were tied with us!

We head into the clubhouse to see the results, and it turns out that one of the teams shot a 61, and they were tied with another team at 127 for the tournament. I did some quick napkin math, and our -6 gave us 66...and 66 + 62 is 128, or one shot off the lead. I was devastated. Then I looked down at the scorecard: Quail Lodge is a par 71! 71-6 = 65, and 65+62 = 127!

Which meant that there was a 4-way tie for first place at 127. Our golf club (Boulder Creek), Belmont CC and TWO different groups from Riverside GC - our compatriots Manny and Jose, and two of their fellows from the same club. The playoff is sudden-death, starting at hole 1: lowest net score advances, everyone else eliminated. Belmont and the other Riverside group were to tee off first, and we would be the second group off the first tee with Manny and Jose.

The first hole is a long, straight par 5. OB on the right side, but there's a decent swath of rough between the fairway and the road, and plenty of trees to try to stop your ball. Earlier in the day, Greg carded an 8 and I carded my first 3-putt bogey, hitting the very front of the green with a deep pin for a long (~60 foot) first putt. All four of the first group got off the tee well with long shots in the fairway, and from our vantage point 250-ish yards back at the tee, it looked like their second shots were good as well. These guys came to play. Manny and Jose did likewise, as did Greg - so now 7/8 players are in the fairway nicely. I hit a nice long drive...but it faded just a bit much and ended up in the rough on the right side. I followed with a very nice 3-iron to about 130 yards, and Greg hit a good fairway wood, but ended up in the rough on the right side under a willow tree. Jose shows his first faltering on the day, skulling his approach - but it rolls a long way, so he's definitely not out of this thing yet. Manny has done well, and is deep of the green in three. I hit an 8-iron into the wind, and end up nearly exactly where I was earlier in the day - on the green in regulation, but way near the front with a 70-foot putt uphill. Greg puts his just off the back side of the green, about halfway between Manny's ball and the pin.

As we approach the green, I ask the marshals what we're looking at. Belmont CC carded a net 5, but the other Riverside group got a net 4 - so Greg and I are looking at birdie to win, par to force a second playoff hole. I knock my long putt up to about 8 feet away - makeable, but a scary distance. Greg gets his short chip to about 6 feet away - again, makeable but scary. So we both have one shot each to force the second playoff hole. Jose and Manny both end up with net 5's, so they are out. It's down to Greg and I. I'm away, so I hit my putt first...and roll it just past the right edge. ANOTHER three putt bogey. And I've left my partner all alone on the green with 6 feet between us and another shot at this thing.

And he rolls it straight and true to the heart of the cup! Pumped, we move on to hole two. Two teams eliminated, two teams left.

2 is a long par three, about 205 to the pin, which is at the extreme back right of the green. The left side of the green has an open approach, but the front right has two very large, very nasty bunkers guarding it. Back left of the green also has a big bunker. Earlier in the round, I carded my second three-putt bogey after hitting a nice 3-iron to about 25 feet, while Greg shot a double-bogey 5.

Riverside tees off first, and unlike Greg and I (who are the same handicap), they have two different handicaps. One of them is a very good golfer, and therefore will not receive a bonus stroke on this hole. The other is similar to Greg and I, and WILL receive a bonus stroke. The good golfer hits it nicely to the open part of the green on the left, and leaves himself about 30 feet away from the pin (all uphill). The less good golfer hit his tee shot fat, but it ended up sitting nicely in the fairway about 40 yards from the pin. Despite Greg hitting the fantastic putt on one to get us here, he motions me forward and tells me "Do what you do." So I pull out the 3-iron and size up the same shot as this morning. With a little more wind behind us now than earlier, I'm thinking that if I put a nice shot together, we'll have a great chance at this hole. I take a good swing, the ball flies true...and does exactly the same thing as it did earlier. It fades nicely from left to right, flies over the guardian bunkers and rolls on to the green, settling in at about 25 feet from the pin, all uphill.

Pumped, Greg high-fives me, then proceeds to hit his ball out of bounds over the road. So he hits a second ball (provisional), and does the same thing. So it looks like this one's on me. But I'm already in good position, so we're not terribly worried. We drive up to the green, and we get a stroke of luck - a marshal points to a ball in the rough on the far left, and it appears a tree saved Greg's first ball - so he's not only in play, he's lying 1 and has a shot toward the pin! While he starts sizing up the shot, we watch the less good Riverside golfer put a nice chip up to the green, leaving himself about 12 feet for par. Greg follows up with a very nice chip from the rough, and is himself looking at a 15 foot par putt. So now, we look like this:

Good Riverside golfer: Lying 1 with 30 feet for birdie.
Poor Riverside golfer: Lying 2 with 12 feet for par.
Greg: Lying 2 with 15 feet for par.
Vince: Lying 1 with 25 feet for birdie.

Good Riverside golfer is away, and he has to assume that I'm going to two-putt for a net birdie. As such, he HAS to hit this 30-footer. He gives it a good rap up the hill...and it sails 15 feet past the cup and out into the rough! He follows up with a good effort for par, but misses. Disgusted, he picks up his ball without finishing.

I'm up next, and all I've got to worry about is the other Riverside guy making his par putt. If he does, I need to two-putt to win. 12 feet is not an easy putt, however, and he's not a particularly strong golfer. If I assume he's going to 2-putt, I can 2-putt and we win the tournament. Having attempted this putt earlier (and missing by hitting it far too strong, leaving me a 12 foot par comeback that I missed), I know what I'm up against. I give it a fair run, but leave about 4 feet of work (still uphill) for par. I mark my ball and step back to watch what unfolds.

Greg is up next - his 15-foot putt for par would guarantee us at least another hole in the playoff...but he misses by inches. He taps in for bogey 4 (net 3 for par), and it's down to the Riverside golfer and his 12 foot putt. If he makes it, I must make my 4-foot putt or we lose. If he misses, my 4-foot putt will be for the championship. He taps the ball, it starts rolling...and stalls about three inches short of the cup. He taps in for bogey 4 (net 3), and now it's down to me.

It's 4 feet, slightly uphill with the smallest perceptible right-to-left break. I've got 7 people watching me and me alone on the green - my partner Greg, the two competitors from Riverside and four marshals keeping an eye on the playoff. Four feet has never seemed like as long a distance as it does right this moment. I look the putt over from behind my ball, walk around and take a look at it from behind the cup, then I start taking some practice swings. I address the ball, take a deep breath and say to myself "Make one good golf shot." I take back the head of the putter, gently swing it forward and putt the ball...

...which rolls right into the heart of the cup for a net 2 and an NCGA Championship win for Greg and I!

It was a phenomenal experience. I've never had anything like it, and it still doesn't seem real. I keep waiting for someone to tell me that there's been some mistake - but I'm looking at my gold medal, and I've read the NCGA's writeup of the event, so it seems that this is legitimate. Just being able to stand over a putt knowing that I could win the tournament was an incredible thrill...actually converting? Amazing. I'll remember this weekend for a long, long time.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #55
Izulde
Head Coach

Very awesome story, Vince. Made for exciting reading and I'm glad you nailed the shot for the win.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

Nice job! Congratulations.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #57
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks guys, it was a blast. Here's a picture of the medals Greg and I won:

Edit: and a picture of Greg and I, because what good is being a champion if you don't look good doing it?

While I'm a pretty big Iron Maiden fan, I'm NOT the dude in the Iron Maiden shirt. Edit: just realized you can't even tell what Greg's shirt says. I'm the dapper gentleman on the right.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #58
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I grew up not far from you in Marlboro, and played the Monmouth County courses pretty religiously from when I was about 17 until I moved into NYC at 24. Hominy Hill at one point was considered one of the top 50 public courses in the country. I haven't played it in at least 8 years, so I'm not sure how it's holding up, but it used to be pretty tough.

All those county courses are pretty great considering the price. Charleston South (the non-links style one) was always my favorite, followed by Howell Park. Pine Brook was good for working on your irons.

I am golfing at Howell on Sunday. It's my first time there. Hominy is freakin' fantastic. I golfed Shark River about a month ago, and it's nice, but nothing like Hominy.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Assistant club pro Michael Bembenick shoots 103 at United Leasing Championship - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #60
chesapeake
College Starter

That was a great read, Vince. Congratulations on your big win.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #61
kcchief19
Pro Starter

For those who suck but would like to get better, here's a little inspiration. I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but my play has been erratic over the last 10 years. I'd probably say I play 12 times a year on average, some more and some less. Over the last 12 months, I've played more but not dramatically more, maybe 20 times. I've played about 8-10 times this year.

A few months ago I really started trying to rebuild my swing a piece at a time. First thing I started working on was my follow through. Following the advice of a friend of mine to "throw it at the hole," I focused on following through and swing through the ball at my target. I saw improvement when I connected well, and was getting fewer tops and severely errant shots.

Next I worked on ball placement on my driver. I realized that as I was struggling with my driver, I was moving in more and more forward in my stance, trying to play it off in the inside of my left foot. Then I caught a tip from Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way that made me think. I'm pretty tall, and probably have a wider stance than most golfers. His advice has less to do with lining up on the inside of your left foot than lining up with the inside of your left shoulder. I began moving the ball back in my stance, and started making better and better contact.

Next up was my taking the club back. Over the years I had adopted a philosophy of taking my club straight back as a method to eliminate an inside-out swing. But I discovered that by focusing on taking the club back, I was letting the club lead the way -- it was the first thing that moved, then my body followed. I began focusing on turning my body first, then taking the club back. That same philosophy had worked into my short game. Instead of using my body, I was chipping and pitching with my wrists and arms rather than turning my body.

Yesterday I began working my irons back in my stance and focusing on making contact with the ball on my downswing. I also generally took a club less than usual and tried to swing softer. I can usually hit my 5-iron about 155 yards, and on a par-3 145 yard hole, I went ahead and hit the 5, teed it back in my stance and put it 15-feet from the pin about 3 feet from my divot. A few weeks ago, that ball would have hit the green and gone over.

I have no idea if it was pure luck or all of these tweaks finally kicking in, but I shot an 87 yesterday. It's probably been 10 years or more since I shot an 87. On the same course, my last two rounds were 102 and 103. I was crushing my driver, only pulling one shot out of bounds and one chunky drive. My iron play was very steady, I was holding more greens. The biggest difference with my irons were on par 3s. I'm usually lucky to hit one green a round on par 3s, but I hit two greens yesterday and was chipping from just off on two others. The two I missed are holes where typically I fly the green or leave it in the lake.

I'm playing again tomorrow so we'll see if this was a fluke or a turnaround.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 07-01-2013 at 02:33 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #62
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
For those who suck but would like to get better, here's a little inspiration. I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but my play has been erratic over the last 10 years. I'd probably say I play 12 times a year on average, some more and some less. Over the last 12 months, I've played more but not dramatically more, maybe 20 times. I've played about 8-10 times this year.

A few months ago I really started trying to rebuild my swing a piece at a time. First thing I started working on was my follow through. Following the advice of a friend of mine to "throw it at the hole," I focused on following through and swing through the ball at my target. I saw improvement when I connected well, and was getting fewer tops and severely errant shots.

Next I worked on ball placement on my driver. I realized that as I was struggling with my driver, I was moving in more and more forward in my stance, trying to play it off in the inside of my left foot. Then I caught a tip from Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way that made me think. I'm pretty tall, and probably have a wider stance than most golfers. His advice has less to do with lining up on the inside of your left foot than lining up with the inside of your left shoulder. I began moving the ball back in my stance, and started making better and better contact.

Next up was my taking the club back. Over the years I had adopted a philosophy of taking my club straight back as a method to eliminate an inside-out swing. But I discovered that by focusing on taking the club back, I was letting the club lead the way -- it was the first thing that moved, then my body followed. I began focusing on turning my body first, then taking the club back. That same philosophy had worked into my short game. Instead of using my body, I was chipping and pitching with my wrists and arms rather than turning my body.

Yesterday I began working my irons back in my stance and focusing on making contact with the ball on my downswing. I also generally took a club less than usual and tried to swing softer. I can usually hit my 5-iron about 155 yards, and on a par-3 145 yard hole, I went ahead and hit the 5, teed it back in my stance and put it 15-feet from the pin about 3 feet from my divot. A few weeks ago, that ball would have hit the green and gone over.

I have no idea if it was pure luck or all of these tweaks finally kicking in, but I shot an 87 yesterday. It's probably been 10 years or more since I shot an 87. On the same course, my last two rounds were 102 and 103. I was crushing my driver, only pulling one shot out of bounds and one chunky drive. My iron play was very steady, I was holding more greens. The biggest difference with my irons were on par 3s. I'm usually lucky to hit one green a round on par 3s, but I hit two greens yesterday and was chipping from just off on two others. The two I missed are holes where typically I fly the green or leave it in the lake.

I'm playing again tomorrow so we'll see if this was a fluke or a turnaround.

Awesome! Good job man.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #63
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Vince, just finished reading your reports ... awesome job! What a thrill!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

One little tip that I have found drastically improved my game - focus on swing tempo. Tempo tempo tempo. Focusing on keeping your downswing at the same pace as your backswing does wonders for evening out your swing.

I came down on my downswing WAY faster than my backswing, and it left me horribly erratic. I focused on evening out my tempo, and when I actually remember to pay attention to it, it's *really* helped my game.

And for everyone who sucks - shorten your backswing. Odds are you're bringing it back too far.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-02-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #65
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Awesome work kcchief - it's great to see improvement, as I'm well aware of lately. Prior to the tournament last week, my previous three rounds were 111, 106 and 101. 94-96 in the tourney, then I followed that up with a 91 at the Presidio Golf course in San Francisco this past weekend. It feels great to be improving!

...then, of course, I shot a 113 yesterday in one of the worst rounds I've golfed in 6 years. So it's good to know I'm still the same golfer
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #66
Logan
Head Coach

I'm going to be playing my first round on Friday in nearly 6 years.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #67
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Golfed today at Howell Park, a very nice public course. Most people in the area tell me this is their favorite county course.

I shot a 97. Had a few par's on Par 4's, bogeyed all the Par-3's, and birdied a Par-4. Had one stretch of three holes that I tripled. Fucking awful.

My driving has been so erratic lately. I went from having a duck hook to smashing the ball to now having a slice. By the end of the round I was driving the ball much better. Short game was very good today, other than two really bad putts that I hit really short and really long.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #68
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Rory Vs the robot - YouTube

Something for you golfers to watch. Rory McElroy versus a Computer-Based Swing System, trickshot style
Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #69
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Wow. Shot an 85 today, beating my previous best (94). Played Howell Park again. No birdies, 9 pars, one triple bogey.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #70
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Nice, that's a fantastic round!

Our club's first tournament since my NCGA event was today. I was -3 for the tournament through 15, looking like I had a shot at taking down the whole thing...

...then I got a 6 on the par 3 16th, and an 11 on the par 5 17th. All without losing a ball. I finished the tourney at +4. Thankfully, the guy that won shot a -10 (his index is 12 and he shot a gross +2), so I was probably not going to win no matter how I played the last three holes.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #71
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

It's been a few years since this thread has been active but it has also been a few years since I've played more than a round or two during a golf season. Well, that has changed this summer with half a dozen rounds under my belt already and hopefully a few more before the snow flies up here. Before kids I probably averaged around 30 rounds a year and now that they are getting a little older I'm starting to make my way back up to that number...slowly, but surely. Heck, maybe they will even get into golf and join me once in a while...that's the dream at least.

Vince, I vaguely remember reading about your tourney win back when you first posted but I just finished re-reading those posts and very much was on the edge of my seat yet again. Awesome stuff! How has golf treated you since then? Any more tournament appearances?

I used to keep track of my handicap back when I used to play regularly (2008 was my last recorded score but only played 6 rounds that year) and I was a 16. I'm thrilled to report that after my 6 rounds this year it looks like I'm playing at least as well as a 16 with no more than a dozen total rounds in the last 7 years and even less range time. Nice to know I don't need to start from scratch on my quest to become a single digit handicapper.

What I do need to do though is change what's in my bag.

Step one was to upgrade my driver and did so with a used Nike Vapor Pro that I picked up on a great deal and since doing so have been much more consistent off the tee.

I've had KZG blades for the last 12 years that I absolutely love the look of and the feel of (when I hit them on the screws, that is) but I'm obviously fooling myself if I think I can continue on this quest to get to single digits playing "players" blades. So, I've been scouring the classifieds/Craig's List the past few weeks looking at what's out there in that range between blades and full on "game improvement" clubs. While it's better now than it was 15 years ago when I was looking at buying my first set of sticks, being left handed still has it's drawbacks. In fact, there are still plenty of big name brands that don't make LH sets of some models...bastards.

Haven't seen much online that has made jump out of my seat so I'm going to have to head into a local golf shop and see what kind of used stock they are carrying and also hit a few different brands to see what I like and don't like. Fingers crossed that they just so happened to have a great set of exactly what I'm looking for with a price tag that won't make do a spit-take.

I'll keep you posted!

Also, would like to hear from any and all of our FOFC golfers on how their summer rounds are going!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 AM   #72
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks for the bump, it was a hell of a lot of fun to read through that again. Also, a hearty thank you to everyone who congratulated me back in the day who I promptly ignored

At the time of my tourney back in 2013, my index was a 21.5. Over the 8 months after the win, I brought it all the way down to a 16.8 - it's amazing what a little confidence will do for your golf game. Unfortunately the index crept back up to an 18 by the end of 2014, but I'm back down to a 17.5, and just this past Sunday I golfed the best round of my life - a +10 75 at my local course, Boulder Creek Golf and Country Club. Three birdies, two pars and 13 bogeys. It's the first time I've ever had a round where I didn't score anything worse than a bogey. What's funny is that I missed 10+ putts inside of ten feet during the round - and while putting is not the strongest part of my game, I'm usually around 30% or so on the 6-10 foot range. So the round could have been even better (I feel like that will ALWAYS be the case, and that's ok)!

In early 2014, I treated myself to a new set of irons as a result of the tournament win (and the fact that my irons were some terrible Wilsons from the mid-90's). I went to all the local golf shops and hit literally hundreds of golf balls into the screen and watched the simulator tell me how they were flying. Working on the screen, the Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged irons were beautiful for me, and I really loved the way they looked - they have a killer orange metallic bit on the back of the irons that gives them a unique look. Before pulling the trigger on them, I took a field trip with some buddies up to Sacramento, to a place called Haggin Oaks - they win all sorts of awards on a regular basis for having one of the best pro shops. What's cool about it is you can take ANY CLUB off the wall of the pro shop, hand them your driver's license, and they'll give you a small bucket of range balls and you can hit the club out on the range and watch how it actually flies. It's a fantastic marketing tool, and really makes sure that you are picking the right clubs for you. Not only that, I scheduled a fitting session to see if the pros there thought I should be going with stiff flex, longer or shorter clubs, etc. I found to my surprise that I couldn't keep the Mizunos on my target line for the life of me. Everything was a push-fade, or worse a push-slice (push = ball flies to the right of your target line; fade = ball curves slightly left to right away from your target line after contact; slice = ball curves a TON to the right after contact). However, the TaylorMade SpeedBlades were a wonderful thing in my hands. I gained 10 yards of distance on each club just by using these instead of my old Wilsons. I picked them up with a slightly stiffer flex shaft than off the shelf, and I've been using them ever since. I love them to death.

As for tournaments, in 2014 I qualified to defend my title at the NCGA 4 Ball - but I got hired on as a full-time employee by my company between qualifying and the regional tournament. And since I'd been a contract employee for nearly 7 years, and getting to be full-time meant full benefits, 401k plan AND a pension...I decided that the better part of valor was to pass on the regional tournament and not screw around with the new job. This year at the qualifier, I finished 5th and did not represent my club. But that's ok, because there are always more tournaments, and I've already had the time of my life at one of those. Besides, the 2016 qualifier is coming up in December

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 08-19-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:08 AM   #73
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I've had KZG blades for the last 12 years that I absolutely love the look of and the feel of (when I hit them on the screws, that is) but I'm obviously fooling myself if I think I can continue on this quest to get to single digits playing "players" blades. So, I've been scouring the classifieds/Craig's List the past few weeks looking at what's out there in that range between blades and full on "game improvement" clubs. While it's better now than it was 15 years ago when I was looking at buying my first set of sticks, being left handed still has it's drawbacks. In fact, there are still plenty of big name brands that don't make LH sets of some models...bastards.

Haven't seen much online that has made jump out of my seat so I'm going to have to head into a local golf shop and see what kind of used stock they are carrying and also hit a few different brands to see what I like and don't like. Fingers crossed that they just so happened to have a great set of exactly what I'm looking for with a price tag that won't make do a spit-take.

I responded to your post without even realizing that you were looking for clubs! I absolutely love the hell out of my SpeedBlades, and now that they're going on two model years old, they hopefully won't be all that expensive. I believe I paid $800 for my set (4i through PW, and I got a SW independent of the set for no charge. Still weird to me that I don't have a 3 iron anymore, especially reading those writeups and realizing how much I enjoyed that club) over a year and a half ago. Both they and the Mizunos I spoke of in my previous post are in that in-between range of game improvement clubs and players' blades that you seem to be looking for. I believe the Mizunos are designed for 9-15 handicappers, while my SpeedBlades are a more generous 5-25 handicapper target.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 08-19-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #74
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm going to be playing my first round on Friday in nearly 6 years.

From 2013...and up until this spring, it was one of two rounds I played since 2007.

Moving from NYC to Hoboken resulted in having a car and having my clubs on me, compared to picking them up from my parents house in Central Jersey, which made playing much easier. I am making a concerted effort to play more this season, before the next stage of married life potentially kicks in and messes up all that free time.

I was shooting high 90s/low 100s before that long break and I came back to that pretty quickly. I never would hit a driver, preferring my 3W, but added one (nothing overly fancy) this year and committed to hitting it. My irons are probably 20 years old at this point, previously my brother's, and I'll be looking for a new set before next year. My iron game was pretty solid and my driving came around.

My first four rounds this year ranged from 97-105 and besides some general inconsistencies, my biggest issue was the short game, most notably chipping. I just had no clue how the hell to do it. I finally just went to a range with a good practice area and spent 2.5 hours doing nothing but chipping until I found a method that worked for me. Shot a 93 the next time out, but the next week, playing a 9 hole course back to back I shot 7 over the first time (with a triple) and 3 over the second time for a 10 over 80. Admittedly it was on the easier side but had some narrow fairways and long par 3s. Everything was clicking and my chipping was excellent. Played another 9er twice this past weekend and went +5/+11 (walking with the heat made me crumble).

I'm not as concerned with scores as I am with just feeling comfortable, and with my chipping improving a lot I've gotten much further with that. Trying to sneak in a round tomorrow and will hopefully continue the progress.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My knee issues last year kept me from playing much golf. But I had been to TopGolf a few times, and now something seems to have clicked with my swing. The last time I played on a course, it was for one of the events for a cousin's wedding back in May. Her husband-to-be and his family are all really good golfers. We had a group start, and of course my foursome was the first to tee off. Since it was my first time at a tee box in a while, I figured I was in for a heaping helping of embarrassment in front of the 30 or so people. Much to my surprise, I hit one of the best drives I've ever hit. It went nearly 280 yards, with a nice left to right flight. We ended up playing 27 holes that day. On the last 9 I played with another cousin who is nearly a scratch golfer. I only gave up a stroke per hole to him, so I was pretty pleased about that.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #76
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Vince, too bad about not being able to defend your championship but it was obviously for a good reason. Stupid work.

Thanks for the comments about your Speedblades. The Mizunos you mentioned are on my radar as one of my regular golf buddies plays with an older version and while he'd gladly let me swing any of them anytime I want...it just wouldn't do me any good seeing I'm a stupid lefty! lol! I actually saw some Cobra Bio Cell+ for sale online last night at a decent price and from my research they sound pretty close what I think I'm looking for except they have a regular stiffness and I definitely need something stronger.

Anyway, still plan to hit the local shops and hit a few to see what's what but just need some time to do so. Stupid work.

Logan, great to hear that you've found something works for your short game as that is often overlooked by just about every weekend golfer, myself included. When I was playing a lot (and practicing a lot) I used to have various tactics that I was comfortable playing depending on the situation. Anything from flopping a lob wedge to bump and running with a 7-iron were part of my game but so far this summer I have zero confidence in pulling off either of those shots. Nothing several hours at the range couldn't fix, I'm sure.

Cartman, too bad about the knee issues but great to hear the golf gods were smiling down on you at just the right time!! Stuff like that is why this game is so damn addictive!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #77
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I had taken yesterday off of work because my wife was supposed to be working but her boss ended up taking the day off instead. So she was able to stay home with the kids and I was able to spend my day doing what any weekend hacker should be doing on a day off during the summer...golfing!

A buddy and headed out to a track I had never played before but thankfully he had so that alone probably saved me a dozen strokes or more because this place was all about hitting targets versus just hitting it as long as you can.

First hole is a par-5 with a dogleg left that plays over 550 yards. Being a lefty who has a consistent fade I'm pretty excited to see this as a starting hole. I hit my tee shot over a bunker on the left and right where the fairway turns left so I'm right in the middle exactly where I was hoping to be. Yay. I'm still nearly 285 yards and there are bunkers on both sides of the fairway about the 120 yard mark from the green and another set of bunkers guarding the front of the green. There is no way I'm reaching the green or the green-side bunkers so I just had to decide if I wanted to layup short of the fairway bunkers to fly those and layup somewhere around 80-100 yards away from the green...I go with the 5-wood and try to fly the fairway bunkers. I hit it perfectly (first time I hit that club in years...lol) and it roles to about 60 yards from the green and even ends up on the right side leaving me an unobstructed path directly to a front pin. I decide against the lob wedge (haven't hit it very often) and decide to punch a PW up and try to land it short of the green and have it roll up. Holy shit, it did exactly what I wanted it to do. Now I have a 10-foot putt for birdie that's a little uphill and not much break, if any at all...and I sink it!! Wow!! Birdied the first hole!! I was ready to hop in the cart and head back to the parking lot!! LOL!!

Second hole is short par-4 that is another dogleg left but has water all the way down the left side and bunkers up the right side. This is when having a cart partner who's familiar with the course really helps because he knew we only needed to hit something between 180-200 yards otherwise we'd be in trouble. So we both hit 5-irons and end up at the corner with 100 and change left to go. I hit a GW to left of the cup leaving myself another really great look for another birdie. This putt is probably 20 feet but looks even straighter than the first birdie putt but it ends up moving ever so slightly to the right and I end up with a tap in par. Brutal!! Haha!!!

Number 3 is the hardest hole on the course, a par-4 that spans 430 yards. There are two ponds that flank nearly the entire left side of the fairway while the right side is guarded by a dense forest. Oh boy. I decide to hit driver and aim down the right side of the fairway hoping for a straight one or else my regular fade leaves me in the middle. I hit it of the heel and end up with a low flyer that stays on the right side of the fairway but isn't terribly long...but I'm safe. I'm about 190 yards out and there is a bunker on the left side of the green that is guarding a pin on the left side. Figuring I have to probably fly it about 195-200 yards to get to the pin behind that bunker I decide to hit my 5-iron (usually can fly it about 180-190) and aim for the right side of the green trying to fly a 4-iron over the bunker and potentially off the green if it doesn't stick. Well, I don't hit it perfectly so I ended up just short of the green and a little to the right. Definitely a good miss as it could have been much worse. Chipped it up but went past the hole and left myself a tricky 15-foot putt that I missed for par but tapped in for bogey. I'll take that on the toughest hole.

Fourth hole is a very short par-3, 130 yards, but it's a rather skinny green and you're hitting from an elevated tee...I'd say the green is probably a good 50-75 feet below the tee box. I decide on my GW (usually my 120 yard club) and hit it a bit fat and end up short but on the fringe. I decide to putt from the fringe and hit it a little past the cup leaving myself a slippery downhill six footer. I drained it for par...WOOO!!

The fifth hole is where it all went to SHIT!

This par-5 essentially returns alongside of hole 3 so there is water all the way up the left side and at about the 250-yard mark the right side gets really scary with dense bush all the way to the pin. Oh, and it's a slight dogleg to the right...just perfect for my regular fade....NOT!! I whip out the driver and aim down the right side, as usual, and hope for a straight one that would leave me just shy of the trouble on the right but am secretly hoping for a bit of a fade so I can be on the left side of the fairway with better look at the green. Well, I hit a bit of a draw and unfortunately hit it on the screws...ugh. My partner figures we should be able to find it so we get up there and can't find it. Crap. I take a drop and I'm laying 3 (yes, by the rules I should have hit another tee shot but he was adamant that we'd find it so it's all his fault...lol) in a not so nice spot and try to punch something back to the fairway but don't hit it well and don't get very far. I take another chop at it and finally get it into the fairway about 220 yards away from the green guarded by water to the left and a bunker to the right. I proceed to hit my 5-wood to the left and into the drink...argh. Take another drop and pitch one onto the green and 2-putt for a smooth 9. Ouch.

That hole sort of derailed things but still finished with a 90, 44 out and 46 in. I had a few blowups on the back but did manage a few pars as well. I actually putted pretty well as I didn't register any 3-putts and caught the edge on 3 putts that didn't want to go down. Despite being 19 over my handicap improved by half a stroke because of how tough the course is. I'll take it.

I've got my eye on a brand new set of Mizuno JPX 825's (the previous model to the JPX 850's that you can buy at every golf shop right now) that I might be able to get for less than half of what the 850's are going for right now but it might not be the right time to buy them with school fees and dance registration coming up not to mention hockey fees in a month. Damnit!
Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #78
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Trying to learn how hit the damn thing, got a quick question.

What should the front leg be doing during the swing?

I get slightly open, foot on ground, but as I ask start my backswing should I keep it rigid or bend slightly towards back leg? Where should my front foot weight be/transfer to?

Thanks
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #79
cartman
Death Herald

I usually keep my front leg planted, and during the swing shift my weight back to front, but not moving the front leg. Ideally after a full swing most of the weight should be on your front leg, and your back foot ends up on your tip-toes with the sole of the foot facing straight back. I used to have a real problem swinging 'baseball' style and lifting up my front foot. I would really have to focus to keep my front leg from moving.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #80
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm slightly duck-toed, and I've found that it helps me set my line a lot if I square up my front foot. Makes it easier to see where I'm actually aiming, as opposed to where I think I am aiming.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #81
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

What should the front leg be doing during the swing?

I get slightly open, foot on ground, but as I ask start my backswing should I keep it rigid or bend slightly towards back leg? Where should my front foot weight be/transfer to?

You should keep your legs quiet through the backswing. Check out Adam Scott Swing - YouTube. Imagine a plane from each shoulder down to the outside of the feet so that it looks like / \. Notice how he hardly breaks either side of the plane through out the entire swing, which is ideal. If you start shifting back toward your rear leg you would probably see yourself break this plane on the backswing. What you will notice is that you will start to get wildly inconsistent strikes on the ball (thin followed by fat, divots behind the ball followed by no divots, etc). That's due to the bottom of the golf swing shifting along with your front leg and you trying to get back to center.

That's not to say you can't hit the golf ball well when you shift your leg. You will occasionally get the timing correct, find yourself back at center, and hit the ball squarely. However, it is much easier to be more consistent if you keep your lower body relatively quiet through the backswing so that your swing bottom remains in the same spot.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #82
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I responded to your post without even realizing that you were looking for clubs! I absolutely love the hell out of my SpeedBlades, and now that they're going on two model years old, they hopefully won't be all that expensive. I believe I paid $800 for my set (4i through PW, and I got a SW independent of the set for no charge. Still weird to me that I don't have a 3 iron anymore, especially reading those writeups and realizing how much I enjoyed that club) over a year and a half ago. Both they and the Mizunos I spoke of in my previous post are in that in-between range of game improvement clubs and players' blades that you seem to be looking for. I believe the Mizunos are designed for 9-15 handicappers, while my SpeedBlades are a more generous 5-25 handicapper target.

A few weeks ago I picked up a new (well, there were demo clubs at Golf Town but half of them still had the plastic on them) set of TaylorMade RSi1 irons, 4-AW, for $400. I'm so excited to hit them but it's November in Edmonton and that means I'll have to wait a few months before I can do that.

Watching that Adam Scott swing made me get up and simulate a swing at my desk and, boy, I'm definitely not as flexible as I used to be. It definitely isn't easy to get the shoulders/torso to twist like that without moving my hips and shifting/bending my knees. I might have to look into some stretching/flexibility exercises to get ready for the spring.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #83
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I might have to look into some stretching/flexibility exercises to get ready for the spring.

Yoga for Golfers - Improve Your Swing, Open Shoulders, Hips & Low Back - YouTube
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:46 PM   #84
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Ask and you shall receive...THANKS!!!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #85
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Finally played my first round of the 2016 golf season (we had a really early start to the golf season up here but I've just been too busy to take advantage of it) which also was the first time I got to swing the new irons I bought last fall, TaylorMade RSi1. I probably should have gone to range at least a few times but like I said, it's been a busy spring so stepping up to the first tee was my first swing of the season!

The course isn't a particularly long one, only 6037 yards from middle tees, nor is it overly tough. The par 5's are relatively short for par 5's but the par 3's are probably longer than you'd expect at a course like this. Anyway, the first hole doesn't require driver as it's only 330 with a slight dogleg left (I'm a lefty so and usually play a little fade so it's a perfect starting hole for me) but I decide to swing the driver anyway. I stripe one straight down the middle of the fairway and end up rolling through the fairway a bit...I was hoping for the usual fade but I'm still in a great spot. Now the fun part...new clubs with no idea about yardage...lol! But, the new clubs would have to wait because I was about 75 to 80 yards away from a middle pin and decided to hit a 3/4 SW (didn't like the fluffy lie for the lob wedge) and hit it long and into a back bunker. Hit a decent shot out of the bunker leaving myself a 15 ft. putt for par but came up short on REALLY shaggy greens. Tap in bogey. I'll take it.

Second hole is a bit of a goofy one. It's only about 350 yards but there's a dogleg to the right with water in front of the green. There are trees down the right side that force you to stay left but the landing area slopes to the left so it's very easy to have your approach run off the fairway into the rough, if not some more trees beyond that rough. The ideal shot is about 180 yards in the air and hopefully high enough that you don't roll very much...anymore than that and you'll be flirting with disaster. First crack with the new irons...I pull out a 6-iron (figuring that my new irons will be similar to my old ones...lol) and hit it pretty well but I ended up drawing it a bit. Ugh. I rarely ever hit draws with my old irons. Anyway, I end up in the trees on the right and have to punch it out and do so successfully. I'm about 100 yards out with water between me and the green and hit my SW again...and again I'm long. I must have hit it on the screws...or my yardage was off. Anyway, bump it up to within 10 feet but miss the putt...double bogey.

400 yard par 4 is next and I hit another great drive on a straight away hole layout. I was about 135 yards away decided to give the new PW a swing and again pulled it a bit. The yardage was close at least but I was off the green and needed to chip it over a bunker and was a bit strong on the swing not wanting to chunk into the sand. Hit a decent lag putt from quite a ways and tapped in for bogey.

The first par 5 is only 490 yards but I end up pushing the drive a bit to the left...but it's safe, just in a bad spot to try and go for the green in two. So, I lay up to about 120 yards with my 2nd shot and hit my "approach" wedge for the first time and hit it straight but way short of the back pin. But, I'm putting for birdie...woohoo! Birdie putt was short (man, shaggy greens are so hard to get used to!) but I sink the par putt...woohoo!!

The 5th hole is a short par 4 but it's uphill so it plays longer than 340 yards. My drive goes left and I end up in some tree trouble forcing me to make an awkward swing just to get back to the fairway. My 3rd shot is likely playing about 180 yards because of the uphill slope and I hit my 6-iron with a little draw again (by now I've been aiming a little to the left to account for the draw) and find the right side of the green. Miss the par putt but did burn the edge and will take the tap in bogey after the errant drive.

The first par 3 is next, 185 yarder with a pond guarding the front and wraps around the right side as well. I go with the 6 again and end up flying the green altogether! Yikes! Must have hit it on the screws because I flew that about 200 yards. I have to punch it over a pretty high mound and actually end up in the rough in front of the green...thankfully didn't get to the pond. Bumped it up close enough to the hole for a tap-in...but burned the edge again and had to settle for a double bogey. Ugh.

Another short par-4 is next at 350 yards. It's a dogleg left with water down the left side that also skirts the front and left side of the green. It's a pretty narrow landing area with trouble on the right side so an accurate tee shot about 200 to 220 is key. I decide to pop my 5-iron's cherry and hit a good tee shot that ends up about 130 yards from the green on the left side of the fairway. I hit the AW but it draws a little more than I was hoping for and I end up the rough to the right of the green and a little long...but it's playable, thank goodness. I catch it a bit thin and run it through the green to the rough. Whoops. Bumped onto the green and had to settle for another 2-putt. Ugh, another double.

The easiest hole on the front is a 125-yard par 3 with water guarding the front and left side of the green. I hit the AW again and again I'm longer than I'd like to be but I'm putting so no complaints. I end up blowing it past the cup on my lag attempt and then I'm a little gun shy on the second attempt (happens every time!!) and settle for a 3-putt bogey...damnit!

The last hole on the front nine is a 500-yard par 5 that bends to the right before your uphill approach to an elevated green. I hit a great drive down the left side but wasn't close enough to make it worthwhile trying to fly the traps in front of the raised green so opted for a layup. I didn't hit it particularly well and ended up behind a tree on the left forcing me to punch it out leaving me 100 yards to the pin. My 4th shot was a SW that ended up pin high and about 10 feet away...but it was on the fringe. Bumped it past the cup and it ran quite a bit past the cup and it took me two putts to close out the first nine. Took a double on that one and was a 12-over on the front...48. Meh.

The back started with toughest hole on the course, a 530-yard par 5 that features an elevated green that's oddly sloped and very narrow. I didn't hit a very good drive as it ended up on the left side in the rough but this isn't a hole I'd be trying to reach the green in two anyway. I layup to about 150 yards leaving myself a decent chance at a green in regulation. Instead, I hit another draw and find myself in the rough to the right of the green. I chipped up to the green but still had a pretty long par putt and left it short. I did sink the bogey putt, though.

A 200-yard par 3 awaits me and I decided to go with a 6 because if I don't "pure" it I'll be fine short of the green but didn't want to go with 5 and be long and in trouble. Well, I hit a terrible pull and end up short and in the trees on the right. I had to punch it out and then left the approach short. I finally get it on the green with my 4th shot and take two putts to finally end the misery...triple!

The third hole on the back is an uphill dogleg to the left and is about 430 but definitely plays longer than that. Oddly enough, it's a par 5. I hit a great tee shot down the right side and leave myself about 170 yards when you factor in the elevated green. I bust the cherry on my 7-iron and hit it very well and it ends up just off the back of the green. I bump it on and leave myself a good chance at birdie and sink it. Woohoo!

Another long par 3 is next at 190 yards and I again go with the 6 and hit it well...too well. I end up a bit long but a decent chip left me a good chance at par and I sink it.

The third and par 5 in five holes is 450 yards. The fairway is rather narrow and I end up with a decent drive down the left side but end up leaking into the rough. The green was probably reachable about 210 but I opted to play it safe as the green isn't particularly big and the risk/reward just wasn't worth it. So, I layed up and left myself about 120 and hit a decent AW leaving myself a chance at birdie. I missed the putt but finished with par so I was pretty happy.

The first par 4 on the back is rather short and straight away and despite not needing driver I decide to go with the big stick and hit a decent one down the middle leaving me about 90 yards or so. I typically hit my SW about 100 yards and my lob wedge around 80-90 but with bunkers in front I figured short was not acceptable so I go with the SW and predictably hit it long. I chunk the first chip and leave it short of the green. I finally chip on and 2-putt for a double bogey.

16 is a short par 3, only 125 yards, but is elevated and probably plays more like 140. I hit my AW and draw it yet again so I end up pin high but off the green to the right. I bump on but end up probably 15 feet past the cup and miss the par putt. Bogey.

The sky is starting to darken and the wind is picking up so we start to speed up a bit. This a very short par 4 at 320 yards and foolishly opt for the driver. I hit it well but that of course leaves me with a goofy yardage of about 60 yards. Dumb. I leave the 3/4 swing lob wedge about 5-yards short and chip on with my 3rd shot leaving about 6 feet for par and drain it.

The last hole is a dogleg to the right and short at 330. I hit the 4-iron for the first time as I was looking for something around 220-230 and hit it OK, but not great. As I get up to my ball the rain looks like it's about to start so I hurry up and hit a 7 hoping for about 165-170 and miss it a bit leaving my approach a little short of the green. The skies open up and the rain starts to come down. My buddy and I are content to mark down bogey and picking up our balls and heading in...we didn't want to melt.

Final tally was 91 with a 48 out and a much better 43 in. I'll take it for the first round of the season and the first chance at swinging the new irons. I definitely need to figure out where the draw is coming from. I suspect I'm over swinging and just need to find the sweet spot with my swing for these irons. I also need to re-watch that golf yoga video and try doing that more often as I'm stiff as hell today, 2 days later!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #86
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Having issues with my short game. What club do you use to hit a 20-30 yard to the middle of the green (assuming no front bunker, etc)?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #87
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You have one of two shot options there: a pitch or a bump and run. For a pitch, take your highest lofted club (sand or lob wedge) and give it a nice shot trying to drop it just short of the pin location. The advantages of this shot are that you can have much greater control and it will limit the roll. The disadvantage is that it isn't simple to execute, and if you are inconsistent, a mis-hit can end up very bad; you end up taking a decent sized swing if you're doing it correctly, and if you blade it, the ball can go a long way past the hole.

A bump-and-run shot is typically easier to execute, but more difficult to be precise with; for this shot you take a much less lofted club (typically a 7-iron or so) and de-loft it even more by moving your hands forward (toward your front leg) before you start your swing. Take a small swing and try to limit the time in the air for the shot: you want this one to roll almost the entire way. This shot is only useful if you have a clear shot at the hole: no bunkers or tall grass between you and the hole.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-27-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #88
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
You have one of two shot options there: a pitch or a bump and run. For a pitch, take your highest lofted club (sand or lob wedge) and give it a nice shot trying to drop it just short of the pin location. The advantages of this shot are that you can have much greater control and it will limit the roll. The disadvantage is that it isn't simple to execute, and if you are inconsistent, a mis-hit can end up very bad; you end up taking a decent sized swing if you're doing it correctly, and if you blade it, the ball can go a long way past the hole.

A bump-and-run shot is typically easier to execute, but more difficult to be precise with; for this shot you take a much less lofted club (typically a 7-iron or so) and de-loft it even more by moving your hands forward (toward your front leg) before you start your swing. Take a small swing and try to limit the time in the air for the shot: you want this one to roll almost the entire way. This shot is only useful if you have a clear shot at the hole: no bunkers or tall grass between you and the hole.

Thank you! this helped me round a lot today. While it was not that successful, I at least felt comfortable knowing that it was the right approach, just the execution was miserable
Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #89
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You are very welcome! Taking the pitch approach and using a (nearly) full swing can be terrifying, knowing that you only mean to hit the ball just 20 yards or so. It is a tremendous shot to be able to have in your bag though, especially if you also know how to bump and run.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #90
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just as a side note, I had some issue with short game control on the shorter pitches. I invested $30 in a lob wedge which has a much greater angle. As a result, I was able to take much longer swings without the risk of whacking the ball a long ways. A full swing would only go about 60 yards and I could adjust my stance forward or backward to get it to go longer/shorter. Takes the fear out of hitting it too far on those short shots.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #91
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So I'm back at it again - qualified for the NCGA 4-Ball Net back in December, then my partner Chad and I finished our regional qualifier tied for first, pushing us on to the two-day Championship round. Today was day one, at Quail Lodge, the same course we played the second round at during my championship run back in 2013.

I have improved as a golfer a ton in the past two years, so although I was a 21.5 handicapper back in 2013, I am all the way down to a 10.7 today. There are far fewer pops on the scorecard these days In any case, I played a solid (if unspectacular) front nine, highlighted by a natural birdie/net eagle on the #1 handicap ninth hole. Chad had a very ho-hum front nine, but we were ham and egging it well - neither of us blew up on the same hole, and although we (I...this was all me) gave up two very make-able putts (one of just two feet!!!), we still made the turn at -4.

Unfortunately, my back nine took a nose dive; although I got us an early net birdie, Chad was scrambling all over the place to keep us at -5 for holes 11 through 14. Chad caught fire to end the round though, and after a huge up-and-down for his second consecutive net birdie on the very difficult par-three 17th, I managed to put up another net birdie on 18 to bring us to -8 after day one.

To make things interesting, everyone else came to play as well: it is very crowded at the top of the leaderboard. We will be chasing Mare Island CC who sit alone in the lead at -12; our -8 puts us in a nine-way tie for 6th place. The second round tomorrow is at Poppy Hills, one of the golf courses on 17-Mile Drive in Monterey just down the road from Pebble Beach. In my personal opinion, it is a much tougher track than Quail Lodge; the greens in particular are not at all receptive to golf balls, so it is incredibly hard to make a golf ball stick. The USGA agrees with me, giving Quail a slope of 126 and Poppy a slope of 133. Chad and I are both feeling pretty good about where our game is right now, but with 14 teams at or better than our score already, I think we are going to need a -10 at a minimum if we want to be in the running.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-20-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #92
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I just started playing golf again recently. My brother and I have played twice in the last 5 weeks and it looks like we'll play again in a couple. This is big for me because, while I love golf I've only played 1 time in 4 years before the most recent rounds mentioned above.

My boys also took me to Top Golf for father's day, which was a nice surprise. They ended up scoring really well and are now talking about going to the driving range to work on their games. Pretty excited about this development.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #93
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That is awesome Breeze! Unfortunately it's not a cheap hobby, but it really is a tremendous leisure activity. Outdoors, decent exercise, and a great mental challenge as well as a physical one. My friend talking me into joining his men's club ten or so years ago is still one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #94
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So in good news, we would have had to shoot a net 57 (-15) to win the danged thing. In bad news, we shot a 73 (+2) to finish near the bottom half of the pack. Both Chad and I were all over the place off the tee, and we did a terrible job of limiting the damage by one of us having a salvageable score on each hole.

We started with a decent net par on a simple par 5 made much more difficult because of early fog limiting visibility to about 150 yards. Sadly, we were pretty much out of the running by the second hole, as Chad picked up and I had to take an OB penalty because my ball was one inch past the OB line. Which was less than 20 feet from the green on the par 3. There's just something very disappointing about being less than ten yards away from the green and having to take an out of bounds penalty. I futzed around to a triple bogey 6, and we were back to -5 for the tournament. We fought back on the rest of the front nine, getting back to as low as -9, but a rough 9th hole brought us to even par on the day (-8 for the tourney). I strung together a pair of pars to open the back nine, getting us to -9 again, but that was the last time we would see red numbers for the round as we quickly dropped back to -7, and eventually finished at a woeful -6.

Golf will humble you in a hurry

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-21-2017 at 11:26 AM.