Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Kwame Kilpatrick Strikes Again!!!

If you followed, at all, the Kwame Kilpatrick scandal in Detroit a few years ago, then you will love this little gem from yesterday's Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110509/NEWS01/110509038/Wife-Kwame-Kilpatrick-fears-future-after-text-message-scandal?odyssey=mod|mostcom

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

I don't buy it. Does this look like a man that fears scandal? This guy eats scandal for breakfast.

Last edited by molson : 05-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kilpatrick, who is serving an 18-month probation violation sentence resulting from the text-message scandal, is awaiting trial on separate federal corruption charges. He says SkyTel, not his own actions, ruined his life.

"I don't believe that I'd be sitting right here in front of you in this prison but for your action, " Kilpatrick said during a deposition.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Everyone's a victim.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
molson
General Manager

If Kwame's plight moves you, he is still taking donations for his defense fund

FriendsOfKwame.com || Official Site of Kwame Kilpatrick and Family
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

Can we send cookies instead?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
SkyTel, which is seeking to dismiss the lawsuit, is also trying to exclude the testimony of a psychiatrist who says Kilpatrick suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder because of the text scandal.

Funny, but I know of a certain city that seems to be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder thanks to the actions of a man who may have been the most corrupt mayor in history (and who didn't even do a decent job of covering his tracks.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about texts man, we're not even talking about being a crook, when it actually matters, we're talking about texts.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Can we send cookies instead?

Can we send Anytime Minutes?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Can we send Anytime Minutes?

Haha! That might turn him into a vegetable.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Jury convicts Kwame Kilpatrick of corruption
By Ed White
Associated Press

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was convicted Monday of corruption charges, ensuring a return to prison for a man once among the nation's youngest big-city leaders.

Jurors convicted Kilpatrick of a raft of crimes, including a racketeering conspiracy charge. He was portrayed during a five-month trial as an unscrupulous politician who took bribes, rigged contracts and lived far beyond his means while in office until fall 2008.

Prosecutors said Kilpatrick ran a "private profit machine" out of Detroit's City Hall. The government presented evidence to show he got a share of the spoils after ensuring that an excavating company owned by his friend Bobby Ferguson was awarded millions in work from the Detroit water department.

Business owners said they were forced to hire Ferguson as a subcontractor or risk losing city contracts.

Separately, fundraiser Emma Bell said she gave Kilpatrick more than $200,000 as his personal cut of political donations, pulling cash from her bra during private meetings.

A high-ranking aide, Derrick Miller, told jurors that he often was the middle man, passing bribes from others.

Internal Revenue Service agents said Kilpatrick spent $840,000 beyond his mayoral salary.

Kilpatrick, who now lives near Dallas, declined to testify. He has long denied any wrongdoing, and defense attorney James Thomas told jurors that Kilpatrick often was showered with cash gifts from city workers and political supporters during holidays and birthdays.

The government said Kilpatrick abused the Civic Fund, a nonprofit fund he created to help distressed Detroit residents. There was evidence that it was used for yoga lessons, camps for his kids, golf clubs and travel.

Kilpatrick, 42, was elected in 2001 at age 31. He resigned in 2008 and pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in a different scandal involving sexually explicit text messages and an extramarital affair with his chief of staff.

The Democrat spent 14 months in prison for violating probation in that case after a judge said he failed to report assets that could be put toward his $1 million restitution to Detroit.

Voters booted his mother, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, from Congress in 2010, partly because of a negative perception of her because of her son's troubles.

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 03-11-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

I still say he has a shot in DC.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I still say he has a shot in DC.

He still has a shot in Detroit

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I find him to be a complete waste. To have the political skills he has, combined with the opportunities he had... to piss it all away as he did is just stupid.

He was elected mayor of a major city at 31 years of age. It was a city on the upswing when he took office. If he had done even a few positive things and kept his nose clean prior to the housing crash he could have been in line for a senate seat.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I love Kwame's latest grounds for appeal: He tried to beat up his lawyer.

Kwame Kilpatrick: I tried to beat up my lawyer before trial; he ran around a table
Old 07-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There's nothing that can be done anywhere else that can't be done worse by Detroit. It was once a fine city. That was a long time ago.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote