Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #101
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I suppose the public might make CE the race favorite, but I'd think you'd see some legit money coming in on LOOKING AT LEE and SENIOR INVESTMENT, following the standard logic that the closing-fast horse is bound to get there next time, with a longer course to pilot.
I hope that the public/"smart" money loves closers. Truth is, much like in many races, the horses that can stalk will win more of their fair share. The Belmont is no different, with 50+% winners in the last 30 years being of a stalker style. A fast last quarter time is great, but my money will not be on those types that will try to rally from near the back of the pack. This is especially true in bigger fields.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #102
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I hope that the public/"smart" money loves closers. Truth is, much like in many races, the horses that can stalk will win more of their fair share. The Belmont is no different, with 50+% winners in the last 30 years being of a stalker style. A fast last quarter time is great, but my money will not be on those types that will try to rally from near the back of the pack. This is especially true in bigger fields.

Bigger fields, fresh horses, no target on their backs, plus that style is completely beneficial to Belmont and it's 1.5 mile course. It's a brutally long race for the horses that excelled at Churchill or Pimlico.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #103
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough... by "standard logic" all I meant was some dumb money always goes this way in the Triple Crown (especially the Belmont, but also the Derby itself).

I think Taprwit is a serious play for the Belmont just on breeding, but I will definitely be giving a good look at the more forward-placed horses.

Last year, I was dead sure that Destin would win it on/near the front, bet accordingly, and was appalled he got nosed out by Creator. My friend smacked me when he reminded me that I hit the triple and earned a trip to the IRS window, but I was still irked that he let a rally horse catch him.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #104
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough... by "standard logic" all I meant was some dumb money always goes this way in the Triple Crown (especially the Belmont, but also the Derby itself).

I think Taprwit is a serious play for the Belmont just on breeding, but I will definitely be giving a good look at the more forward-placed horses.

Last year, I was dead sure that Destin would win it on/near the front, bet accordingly, and was appalled he got nosed out by Creator. My friend smacked me when he reminded me that I hit the triple and earned a trip to the IRS window, but I was still irked that he let a rally horse catch him.

If I can get Irish War Cry @ 10-1 or higher, he will probably be my only play.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #105
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

and Classic Empire gets scratched so IWC will now probably go off as the favorite pretty easily.

Not sure I even bet the race now. I guess I can root for Patch but I think he's the 12 and I don't want to watch him on the outside gate again.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #106
QuikSand
lolzcat

http://www.brisnet.com/brisnet_promo...ntStakes17.pdf

Comments to come...
Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #107
QuikSand
lolzcat

-WTF do you do with EPICHARIS?
See: http://www.drf.com/news/epicharis-tr...es-run-belmont

-I agree IWC has the best case...but I'm not wild about betting him at 3-1

-I still like TAPWRIT on breeding, but want a better price...might get it

-J BOYS ECHO? Maybe? Maybe a much better price than the ML 15, right?

-kicking tires on MULTIPLIER and MEANTIME with opposite paths to victory
Old 06-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #108
QuikSand
lolzcat

The more I look, the more convinced I am that there's enough early speed to keep things honest up front, nobody's going to get an easy path there, and if IWC is the class of that lot he'll still need a legit pedigree to hold on. I think they will all get caught, and I think TAPWRIT is the guy to do it, though maybe not alone. I'll be hoping for better than 6-1, but I reckon he will be my pick this year.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #109
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I agree with you QS -- Tapwrit for me depending on odds. Currently @5-1. Seems a little short to me. Gormley intrigues me, though. Better running style and will have better odds. That said, IWC fits the winning profile for the Belmont and will not surprise anyone if he wins. I would play IWC at 7-2.

Last edited by weegeebored : 06-10-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added odds
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #110
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Congrats guys. Speed didnt drop in early like i expected to drop tap back.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #111
QuikSand
lolzcat

Pretty nice hit here...
Old 07-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #112
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

The Jim Dandy just reminds me how horrible this year was... A horse that has never raced on dirt just beat the KD and and Preak winners from this year in a 5 horse field.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #113
QuikSand
lolzcat

...that after Always Dreaming set a pedestrian 48 1/2 pace, and STILL let the winner (and another outsider) run him down easily. It's not like a crazy pace situation doomed the favorites. They just got straight up beat by a better horse (today, at least).
Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #114
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
...that after Always Dreaming set a pedestrian 48 1/2 pace, and STILL let the winner (and another outsider) run him down easily. It's not like a crazy pace situation doomed the favorites. They just got straight up beat by a better horse (today, at least).

And one of the two other horses had only run 1 race. Jesus it was a shitfest that made it seem like both owners bet on the horses that were 8-1 or higher.