Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #101
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
I haven't seen many sports Mandela affects. I double checked though to make sure Clemson was still national champions.

But, that's just it. No hard-and-fast facts like that are eligible for this whole thing. Nobody mis-remembers stuff en masse like "who won the game?"

What people collectively mis-remember is the thing like "who was fighting that time when the guy in the glider thing flew into the boxing ring?" (Off the top of my head) Lots of people might recall there was something like that that happened, but the specific attachment to the named boxers is unimportant and trivial... so it's a loose memory. So, someone posits an answer that seems to make sense to you, and you might drift right to "YES, THAT'S DEFINITELY IT."

Just like when you're looking for your car keys, and you contemplate that they might be sitting on the coffee table... you mind helpfull conjures up a crystal clear and compelling mental image of the keys sitting right there. And you're shocked when they are not.

Our minds find shortcuts all the time to help us process the overwhelming amount of shit we take in. That leads to imperfections. Digging around in the imperfections is interesting and fun, but hardly life-changing.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #102
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I remember the Bill Murray movie "Meatballs" and when they are doing one of the competitions...I think one of the swimming ones? There is a song playing with what sounds like Bill Murray singing, "C'mon go team go yeah fight team fight....but that don't make you a meatball!" were lyrics...

I have the DVD now and that song is NO WHERE ON IT.

I can't find any links to what I remember either.

I did not dream this. I can only assume they lost the rights to it or something and had to change the song? BUt I seriously can't find what's it my head.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #103
dave731
High School JV

Not sure about Meatballs but the idea that hard facts are not eligible is ridiculous.

I have an undergraduate in Sports and Health Science and a Masters in Sports Management. At no point have I ever learned the heart was in the center of your chest...always the left side of your chest cavity. At no point did I learn the kidneys were anywhere other than the lower back. The eye sockets have always been hollow...no bony process behind the eyes! If I had to take a test on these things now, I would probably miss those questions. I have taken a number of Anatomy and physiology classes with high grades in everything. I graduated with honors from HS and both degrees. I know this stuff and it has changed. As crazy as it sounds...

The JFK 4 seater car was a cold hard fact for me as well...along with countless others.

"as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal"
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #104
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure about Meatballs but the idea that hard facts are not eligible is ridiculous.

I have an undergraduate in Sports and Health Science and a Masters in Sports Management. At no point have I ever learned the heart was in the center of your chest...always the left side of your chest cavity. At no point did I learn the kidneys were anywhere other than the lower back. The eye sockets have always been hollow...no bony process behind the eyes! If I had to take a test on these things now, I would probably miss those questions. I have taken a number of Anatomy and physiology classes with high grades in everything. I graduated with honors from HS and both degrees. I know this stuff and it has changed. As crazy as it sounds...

The JFK 4 seater car was a cold hard fact for me as well...along with countless others.

"as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal"

What's really freaky is that this used to be called the Mancala Effect.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #105
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

So are you saying that a round earth is a Mandela effect too, as they used to teach that the earth was flat?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #106
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
So are you saying that a round earth is a Mandela effect too, as they used to teach that the earth was flat?

Yea, because that's exactly what I just described. No, that's not a Mandela Effect because it can easily be verified they taught the earth was flat. I'm stating that everything now shows the anatomy stuff to have always been taught this way when that's not the way it has always been taught. People dismiss my memory of the maps the same way when I can't find the maps I used to look at anywhere. They supposedly never existed.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #107
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, let's take the JFK convertible. For some reason, the supposed "question" whether it was an unusual 6-seater or a common 4-seater was, to you, a central fact. Not a minor bit of the story, but something important and very memorable well before this supposed controversy occurred. Like, if you were relating these historic and tragic events to someone, you'd definitely make a point of noting that fact..."and, folks, this is a standard four-seater convertible car, not a somewhat unusual design for extra people in a parade setting or anything like that, just a run of the mill four-seater convertible, got it?"

Okay, great. So, in your crystal clear version of events from before these sneaky cosmological events happened, presumably you still have Governor Connally sitting in the seat right ahead of JFK. Since his presence there is pretty much required to make the story conform to what everyone knows happened (magic bullet theory or not, he was definitely hit), that's the sort of fact that your Mandela Effect tends to stay away from.

(Aside: reality tells us he's in the "jump seat" in the middle row of seating with his wife on his left, and that the jump seat doesn't have the high back that might leave a cloudy impression on the number of seats in the actual car)

So, surely Mrs. Connally is in your version of the car, too, as formal events would dictate, and she was accompanying the party all day. Right? Does your pre-Mandela version of events have her driving the presidential limo, then? Is that what you're going to go with? She shoves the Secret Service and official driver out of the way and says "I got this."

Or does your psychological need to cling to this "I'm 100% sure it's a 4-person car" argument now force you to conclude "no, she must have stayed home and skipped this event, and the Governor just called shotgun and rode up front with the driver." Are you seriously going to hang your hat on that? That's what your "definitely a four seater" leads you to.

And then the goblins who rearrange history also managed to tidy things up like Connally himself testifying to the Warren Commission that "...then we got into the car as we had customarily done at each of the stops, and Mrs. Connally and I got on the jump seats, and with the President and Mrs. Kennedy on the back seat, and took off for the long motorcade downtown."

How far down the rabbit hole are you gonna let a few YouTube videos take you? Your absolute 100% certainty over a totally incidental part of a decades-old event is making itself a serious bulwark here.

(and yes, to those keeping score, this is definitely the blackjack thread redux)
Old 09-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #108
dave731
High School JV

Connaly in the front passenger seat and the same driver...his wife was not in the vehicle at all.

My certainty is in all the things I know to be true. Dolly had braces!

What is the blackjack thread? I missed it...
Old 09-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #109
dave731
High School JV

This is what MY world has ALWAYS looked like!
Old 09-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #110
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Why are we feeding the fucking troll?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #111
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Why are we feeding the fucking troll?

Yea...that's what I am. You caught me...I waited over 6 years to strike.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #112
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That is a skewed angle, north isn't straight up. Washington isn't further north than the rest of the US

Last edited by Ryche : 09-17-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #113
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
That is a skewed angle, north isn't straight up. Washington isn't further north than the rest of the US

My reference was primarily to the position of South America...thought that was obvious?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #114
dave731
High School JV

Old 09-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #115
cuervo72
Head Coach

Congrats, you've confirmed the existence of Photoshop.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #116
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Congrats, you've confirmed the existence of Photoshop.

It was a NASA satellite image and we all know those are all photoshopped anyway right?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #117
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My reference was primarily to the position of South America...thought that was obvious?

That is the point. North on the map is not centered. Rotate it so it is and South America will be further right relative to North America
Old 09-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #118
corbes
College Benchwarmer

If you think that's how the western hemisphere looks, you didn't play enough Sid Meier's Pirates! when you were a kid.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #119
cuervo72
Head Coach

One good thing coming from this thread at least is it's getting me to look for vintage maps, which are interesting from both artistic and historical perspectives.

Here's the "first dedicated map of the Pacific to be printed" for example, drawn in 1589.

Maris Pacifici - Wikipedia

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-17-2017 at 09:55 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #120
Lonnie
High School Varsity

And Florida still points at Columbia.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #121
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

These are all the work of
Department of Diachronic Operations
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #122
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
One good thing coming from this thread at least is it's getting me to look for vintage maps, which are interesting from both artistic and historical perspectives.

Here's the "first dedicated map of the Pacific to be printed" for example, drawn in 1589.

Maris Pacifici - Wikipedia

And we though the Titanic was big. Boats used to be a quarter the size of South America.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #123
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
What is the blackjack thread? I missed it...

It was a fun thread here a while back, where one pinhead kept spouting his indefensible ideas despite all the logic and evidence surrounding him. Fun times.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #124
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
It was a fun thread here a while back, where one pinhead kept spouting his indefensible ideas despite all the logic and evidence surrounding him. Fun times.
Doh!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #125
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I remember when I was a kid being taught that Texas was south of New Mexico, the Yucatan didn't exist, and there was a state between Houston and Louisiana.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #126
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I haven't seen many sports Mandela affects. I double checked though to make sure Clemson was still national champions.

I'm certain that Miami beat Ohio State for the 2002 National Championship. I even remember Jarret Payton being interviewed on the field after the game! But now when I go look, I see that apparently Ohio State won the game?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #127
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I remember when I was a kid being taught that Texas was south of New Mexico, the Yucatan didn't exist, and there was a state between Houston and Louisiana.

Well one out of three isn't bad (and yes, the overwhelming majority of Texas is east of New Mexico, or maybe southeast to be even more pedantic, but there is a sizeable chunk of Texas that is indeed south of New Mexico).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #128
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

How can you be taught about something not existing? A state between Houston and Louisiana? I guess you could fit Delaware between Houston and Louisiana.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:16 AM   #129
PilotMan
Head Coach

Its called the law of primacy. Its important in teaching because the first thing someone learns is more likely to stick with them. Therefore if its wrong the instructor is to blame and can hinder further learning. Its not a mystery.

Law of primacy in persuasion - Wikipedia

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #130
dave731
High School JV

Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal has always ended

"You've been hit by, you've been STRUCK by a smooth criminal!"

I'm certain this is the correct lyric.

That crappy Jewel song "Who will save your soul?" was always a singular soul...not plural.

I'm in Atlantic City tonight and tomorrow night and was talking to a coworker last night...pretty sure I killed his buzz with the amount of info I dropped on him but he remembered everything the same way I do.

#notcrazy
Old 09-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #131
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Please look at the Texas/Mexico area of the map
Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #132
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

OH! I've got one! I tasted my kids' Apple Jacks yesterday, and thought "Ugh, who put cinnamon in these?" I asked my wife, and it turns out that in y'all's universe, Apple Jacks have always had cinnamon.

Or I'm just misremembering. But I sure don't remember cinnamon in Apple Jacks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #133
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Thought this was an interesting read.

Losers are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, study finds
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #134
corbes
College Benchwarmer

A music teacher of mine used to emphasize over and over and over that we must play the music as it is written on the page, and not as we remember it or think it sounds, for our memories for music are so malleable.

Seems like a relevant data point. I can't imagine telling him, no, my own memory is correct, it is the sheet music itself that has changed. He'd have thrown a music stand at me and denounced, with fury and derision, my arrogance and narcissism.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #135
dave731
High School JV

Mike Tyson bites ear off real video - YouTube

Think about Tyson biting Holyfields ear and how it happened. Then go watch the original footage. This is nothing like I remember outside of Tyson biting Holyfields ear.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #137
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Nope, just as it was.

Gahh...So we really believe that Tyson bit his ear and they docked him 2 points and restarted the fight. Mills ended it after the first bite...it was never restarted!

I would be the absolute worst Trivial Pursuit player now...

Last edited by dave731 : 10-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #138
corbes
College Benchwarmer

He was disqualified after the second bite.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #139
dave731
High School JV

So nobody remembers Tyson turning to the side and spitting a chunk of ear out.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #140
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Yes, he did that. But the fight didn't end then.

If only there was a crowd-sourced website that provided an account of what happened that night . . . .

Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II - Wikipedia
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #141
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Yes, he did that. But the fight didn't end then.

If only there was a crowd-sourced website that provided an account of what happened that night . . . .

Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II - Wikipedia

If only the video matched my memory of the way it actually happened.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #142
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I admit, it is kind of fun to go back-and-forth with this. But I have realized that the people arguing for the Mandela effect have actually made an argument that is so incapable of refuting, that there's really no discussion happening at all.

The idea that other people's minds can be hacked is what shuts this down. Someone says, "I remember it this way." Someone else comes back with objective evidence showing that it did not happen that way. The Mandela person simply says, "Well, yeah, reality has been hacked. That's why the objective evidence and my memory differ. . And my subjective memory is greater than objective reality." Then you say, "but my subjecive memory agrees with objective reality. So now we have my memory and reality versus your memory, so you must be wrong, right?"

He simply say, "no, your memory is one of the things that's been hacked."

So that's it then. Kind of boring, really.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #143
dave731
High School JV

Yea...prob right. I should give up trying to warn everyone that Satanists are supernaturally altering reality and rewriting the Bible to prepare the way for the antichrist crusade.

Man, when I put it that way...
Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #144
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dave's not here
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #145
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Dave's not here

Gotta go check and make sure Tommy said that...

Edit: Did you know that was one of the things that had changed? It's "Dave's not here man"...but he supposedly never said man. Argh!!!

Last edited by dave731 : 10-08-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #146
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd remembered Jon Lovitz playing Bill McNeal's replacement named Max Lewis on NewsRadio but it turns out on the show he was actually the suicidal Michael Johnson who was going to jump from a ledge just outside the WNYX offices.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote