Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Truck Drives on Bike Path Near WTC Memorial, Fatalities Reported

Truck went wrong way on bike path for several blocks near the WTC. Police are telling news sources that there are fatalities from being hit by the truck.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

NY Post is reporting deaths are from gunfire. CNN is reporting that deaths are from runners/bikers being hit by the truck.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Ben E Lou

CNN now reporting 6 fatalities.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Ben E Lou

Per Fox News, 6 dead & 15 injured.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Rented truck, drove deliberately, looks like terrorism.

Suspect was shot but apparently is still alive which should hopefully answer some questions.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Ben E Lou

Fox News is saying the suspect displayed a fake firearm before being shot by police.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF? I saw the headline a little while, took it to be some sorta accidental type shit
Old 10-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Fox News is saying the suspect displayed a fake firearm before being shot by police.

NYT saying two fake guns ... (what, in case one isn't enough for suicide by cop I guess?).

And in a Home Depot truck? Da fuq? (employee? stolen? rental?)

Multiple Deaths Reported as Driver Careens Down Bike Path in Manhattan - The New York Times
Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And in a Home Depot truck? Da fuq? (employee? stolen? rental?)
Either CNN or FOX (switching back and forth here) explicitly said it was a rental and emphasized it was *not* an employee of Home Depot.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
NYT saying two fake guns
wtf
Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Either CNN or FOX (switching back and forth here) explicitly said it was a rental and emphasized it was *not* an employee of Home Depot.

{nods} I'm not TV-handy atm, so I wondered about that.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Shep Smith is reporting that the suspect yelled "Allahu akbar" upon exiting the vehicle.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Shep Smith is reporting that the suspect yelled "Allahu akbar" upon exiting the vehicle.
Jake Tapper just said something along the lines of "this was evidently carried out by a radical Islamic terrorist."
Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The video of the guy that's floating around shows him with a huge beard so makes sense.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I heard BB gun, which is even weirder?

Idk, just glad there are a lot less fatalities than the truck attacks in Europe.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Friend of mine's (young adult) daughter happened to be in NYC at the time, just a block over from all this. Said you could hear the commotion & knew something was up.

Just thinking about how fucked up that would be, to know something but be standing there with no real idea of what
Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Friend of mine's (young adult) daughter happened to be in NYC at the time, just a block over from all this. Said you could hear the commotion & knew something was up.

Just thinking about how fucked up that would be, to know something but be standing there with no real idea of what

Seriously, that is chilling.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #18
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Have to imagine a bunch of kids trick or treating around then too, right?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

they have released the name of the terrorist. Couldn't begin to spell it. A Uzbekistan national.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #20
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
they have released the name of the terrorist. Couldn't begin to spell it. A Uzbekistan national.

It's probably best if his name is forgotten anyways
Old 10-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #21
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm waiting to see what the reports say when its calmed down a bit - I remember the accident in London which was initially reported as someone screaming all sorts of things and being armed, not to mention their being claims of multiple people involved etc.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

So...Russian diversion?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #23
cuervo72
Head Coach

Off-topic:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (4 members and 0 guests)
cuervo72, Groundhog, PilotMan, RPI-Fan

Whoa.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #24
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So...Russian diversion?
I didn't think you were that cynical or paranoid. Uzbekistan borders Afghanistan, doesn't border Russia, and there have been people from that country tied to the Taliban/ISIS/Sunni extremism for as long as we (and Russia) have been fighting those concepts.

It'll be interesting what program he came here on a green card in 2010/11, because that could be an easy target for demagoguery going forward. Given the absurdity of having a paintball gun & a pellet gun when he exited I am also curious to see if he tried to buy guns & was stopped by the northeast's more stringent gun laws, or if he's just an idiot who couldn't even do a little planning and was hoping for suicide by cop/martyrdom.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm not -- it was (mostly) a joke, and as much an eye-roll that Trump immediately yells "MIDDLE EAST! ISIS!" at anything like this that happens. Yes, it may actually be Muslim extremism but Uzbekistan is not quite in the same category as other Middle Eastern countries.

(That said, I really wouldn't put anything past Putin. It's in his interests to prop up Trump I think, and to hammer as many wedges into the populace as possible. Islam and terrorism is one such wedge.)

edit: Well, paranoid anyway. I suppose I can be pretty cynical about some things.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-01-2017 at 10:32 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #26
tarcone
Coordinator

Guy was arrested in a suburb of St Louis last year. He got a moving violation in a semi. Failed to appear. Was arrested. Posted $200 bond. Was released. missed next court date. Was found guilty and fined a fine that took the $200 bond.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
molson
General Manager

I'm sure it didn't make much of a difference to this guy, but one of the things about launching a terrorist attack in NYC is that it's likely that only a portion of the victims will be American. At least 6 of the 8 victims were visitors from somewhere else (5 Argentinians, 1 Belgian).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

Trumps immediate reaction to this versus his immediate reaction to Vegas is incredibly telling.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
and was hoping for suicide by cop/martyrdom.

If ya jump out waving around cap pistols, I'm pretty sure that was the desired goal no matter what else occurred previously (gunwise)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-01-2017 at 01:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I'm not -- it was (mostly) a joke, and as much an eye-roll that Trump immediately yells "MIDDLE EAST! ISIS!" at anything like this that happens. Yes, it may actually be Muslim extremism but Uzbekistan is not quite in the same category as other Middle Eastern countries.
Yeah I didn't think you were which is why I was more confused than anything. Fwiw Uzbekistan does have a large problem, though like most places it's tied in with bad government - Where the War on Terror Lives Forever – Foreign Policy
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #31
Ben E Lou

PING: Lawyerin' types. Am I correct in assuming that President Dummy has given a major gift to this terrorist jerkwad's attorney here?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #32
digamma
Torchbearer

Yes, you're correct, but why should we care about things like the Constitution?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

Too early to talk about banning rental trucks? They have caused 2 of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Too early to talk about banning rental trucks? They have caused 2 of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil.

Can't rent a truck or car without a valid driver's license.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #35
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Yes, you're correct, but why should we care about things like the Constitution?
Well, I suspect that many *will* care if this guy ends up getting a lighter sentence or even a mistrial because the nitwit in the WH didn't know that he should stfu about this. Of course, his dumbest sycophantic supporters will probably blame the judge instead of Trump...which I suppose gets back to "why should we care about things like the Constitution?" They won't.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I suspect that many *will* care if this guy ends up getting a lighter sentence or even a mistrial because the nitwit in the WH didn't know that he should stfu about this. Of course, his dumbest sycophantic supporters will probably blame the judge instead of Trump...which I suppose gets back to "why should we care about things like the Constitution?" They won't.

{yawn}

At least this one has sense enough to know what should be done.
More than can be said for the last worse-than-useless bastard.

We finally have an even remotely sane President for the first time in nearly a decade and every lightweight loses their minds.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
{yawn}

At least this one has sense enough to know what should be done.
More than can be said for the last worse-than-useless bastard.

We finally have an even remotely sane President for the first time in nearly a decade and every lightweight loses their minds.

So if this guy gets a lighter sentence because your guy can't keep his mouth shut that's fine with you?

Trump Logic.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

I don't think I have ever seen Trump and sane used in the same sentence. I am sure past Presidents shared like minded sentiments in their minds about cowards like the guy that carried this attack out, but just had enough restraint not to blurt it out on twitter.

It just becomes a matter of using common sense and realizing the difference between what you want to say and what you should say. Both for ensuring the desired outcome and exhibiting the traits of a composed leader vs. an unfiltered loose cannon.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-02-2017 at 12:54 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #39
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So if this guy gets a lighter sentence because your guy can't keep his mouth shut that's fine with you?
Trump's an idiot, and this might draw out the appeals process, but why is this guy going to get a lighter sentence due to Trump's tweeting? (Unless you want to argue life without parole is lighter than the death penalty, but I couldn't care less.) The Boston Marathon bomber was tried on the federal charges in Boston, which is a pretty easy argument for a defense appeal, and he was still convicted of the death penalty and will always be sitting in federal prison unless the appeals process actually works itself out and he's put to death. Trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - Wikipedia There's undoubtedly enough video evidence in that part of Manhattan and enough different statutes they can charge him under (especially post Patriot Act) he's never seeing the light of day again even if a judge wanted to rule anything said in the hospital inadmissible.