Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #51
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post
So how do people feel this FM compares to others? Is this the "hands down go to" sports management sim on the market?

It is great yes but "hands down go to." Nah. Numerous candidates at this point that could go to. Personally, I think FM is a bit too easy for the level of knowledge I have about soccer. I suppose however that is why it makes it so popular to the masses.

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #52
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It is great yes but "hands down go to." Nah. Numerous candidates at this point that could go to. Personally, I think FM is a bit too easy for the level of knowledge I have about soccer. I suppose however that is why it makes it so popular to the masses.

besides FOF, FM & OOTP what else is there?
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:11 AM   #53
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post
besides FOF, FM & OOTP what else is there?

The Draftday series is good. Fastbreak college and pro basketball are great games. Bowl Bound college football. Eastside Hockey Manager. Depending on what you are looking for each of these games have something great to bring to the table.

OOTP is probably my favorite because I love baseball and really dont care much about soccer. Plus sometimes I feel FM just does the work for you(Hire good assistants and they advise you on what to do and who to target). I did really get into FM one year but when I was able to start out in the Norwegian 2nd division get promoted to #1 league then get hired in the spanish league and turn a 2nd division doormat into a top 5 team right away I felt the game was too simple.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-26-2016 at 01:17 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #54
fortheglory
Mascot

You are correct...but I am a mac user, so really for me, it's either FM or OOTP. FM just seems like a much deeper experience to me, even though I know nothing about soccer...but ultimately, with games like this (for me) a very good AI opponent is a must.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #55
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Took over a team and there is an "Assistant Coach" but no "Assistant Manager". Are they synonymous?

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 10-28-2016 at 12:59 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #56
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah. This tripped me up the first time I played as well. Offered 5 guys the position, accepted the first one and then realized he wasn't remotely suited to be an asst man but didn't have the funds to cut him. Fun.

Assistant coach is assistant manager in US English
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, change the language to uk english and you may see more familiar terms.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #58
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you own the game, um.. you may want to check for updates and restart steam
Old 11-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #59
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: I can think of worse games to get sent off in (Zidane anybody?) but.. your own testimonial has to be pretty high on that list:

http://imgur.com/a/bp21e
Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 AM   #60
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Dola: I can think of worse games to get sent off in (Zidane anybody?) but.. your own testimonial has to be pretty high on that list:

http://imgur.com/a/bp21e

True to himself right until the very end, what a hero. In my head i imagining him running around wildly trying to tackle guys from the 85th minute to protect his image here

Also, playing the testimonial in front of 12k fans (then again, it´s Italy so not that bad ) against Crotone ? I´d be mad, too !

So yeah, i caved ... So much for "definitely waiting" (to be fair, with a promotion i got the game for 25 €, not sure it´d be cheaper before spring). Now copying over my logos and pictures from 16, another hour and change to go ... Then will start playing and gradually add newer playerpictures and other graphics.

Not quite sure where to start, thinking of doing a save in a Tier-2 European league to start things off, Netherlands/Belgium/
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #61
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Have an annoying bug in FM16. I make a "promise" to give a player a new contract through a press conference. I am in Fair Play trouble over my wage budget so we agree to a contract that will start at the end of the season. Player now is furious with me because I haven't kept my promise.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #62
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

My American Premier League mod is now up for FM17. Still a couple bugs to be squashed, but it IS playable:

Steam Workshop :: American Premier League 1.0
Old 11-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #63
chinaski
College Prospect

So is the 'Mostly negative' review status on Steam justified? Havent played FM in a long while but was hoping to give it another go this year.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #64
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
So is the 'Mostly negative' review status on Steam justified? Havent played FM in a long while but was hoping to give it another go this year.

I can´t check (not officially available in Germany via Steam), but wasn´t there some sort of staged protest by chinese fans of the game due to the lack of a translation which they felt had been promised to them by the producers ?

EDIT: Football Manager 2017 trashed on Steam by angry Chinese fans • Eurogamer.net

so yeah, nothing to base anything on ... Well, maybe for the the people on here who are actually chinese and post here only via google-translate
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-12-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #65
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post

Honestly, it seems like the smallest jump from the previous version I can remember, but it plays well. It's what people have been asking about for a while, just make last year's game better.

The animations look much better, so the game feels better, but very little change in the mechanics from FM16 (based on FM Touch).

That said, I'm liking it: playing on the iPad has stripped out even more of the superfluous stuff, and the game fairly races along without any of the weaker stuff like press conferences, team talks, player interactions, etc.

Last edited by AlexB : 11-12-2016 at 06:15 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #66
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Is there a way to convert a full FM save to a FM Touch save?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #67
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I can´t check (not officially available in Germany via Steam), but wasn´t there some sort of staged protest by chinese fans of the game due to the lack of a translation which they felt had been promised to them by the producers ?

EDIT: Football Manager 2017 trashed on Steam by angry Chinese fans • Eurogamer.net

so yeah, nothing to base anything on ... Well, maybe for the the people on here who are actually chinese and post here only via google-translate

Calling Mr. Donald Trump..
Old 11-13-2016, 04:30 AM   #68
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Is there a way to convert a full FM save to a FM Touch save?

I don't think so, but others would need to definitively answer that question
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
My American Premier League mod is now up for FM17. Still a couple bugs to be squashed, but it IS playable:

Oh man...don't make me buy this game.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #70
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Still some bugs to be worked out, so hold off on downloading it.. trying to squash it
Old 11-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Edit: Nasty Nasty bugs have been squashed.. LIKE BUGS. New Location, however. I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to update a database in Steam :P

Old 11-26-2016, 12:00 AM   #72
djsatu
High School Varsity

Don't know how long its going to last, but the game is only $27.02 USD at Instant gaming.

Attention Required! | CloudFlare
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #73
bhlloy
Coordinator

So the UK just left the EU in 2020 in my game, but now EU players require a work permit (which is a situation that is basically 0.0% likely in real life) - which has royally screwed a really promising save, given how strict the work permit restrictions are in place right now. Absolutely not happy
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #74
Balldog
Pro Rookie

What is the opinion of FM17? I am assuming there will be a sale in the next week and I am not sure if it is worthwhile to upgrade or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #75
Critch
lolzcat

It's not a great step forward from FM16, much the same game only slightly more polished. It looks a little prettier, it runs a little faster, but other than that not much has changed. So if you already have FM16, it would be a good year to skip the update.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #76
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
It's not a great step forward from FM16, much the same game only slightly more polished. It looks a little prettier, it runs a little faster, but other than that not much has changed. So if you already have FM16, it would be a good year to skip the update.

17 killed many of my annoyances from 2016. I'm very happy with improvements and thinking I'll be sticking with this version for quite awhile.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #77
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I enjoy FM17: I like the fact you have to make promises to sign long shot FAs and they hold you to them. I also like that you can track different teams/jobs. I usually start out with a VNC team and follow my two favorite teams (Nott Forest and ManU). So, now I can know when they have a job opening later in my career. I also feel like the AI is much more aggressive at making bids on lower salary talent on longer deals. In 16, I could sign 5-6 guys to long term deals and maybe 1 would get an offer. Now, most will get an offer if I am not proactive (when you see the WNT tag). Plus, some will be upset if you don't let them leave and that really adds some strategy.

I agree that it is not a huge leap forward, but I do feel that the AI is better at making you pay guys what they are worth.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I finally made the jump to FM17 (my 40+ year save on FM15 went kaput). I'm still getting my feet wet, but it's definitely a big jump from FM15. Lots of things have changed. None of them are huge changes, but there's tons of small changes that keep popping up pretty regularly. I'm enjoying it.

I actually started my career in the Icelandic league. Fjolnir was just demoted from their Premier League, so I'm in charge of getting them back up to the top league. Lots of grumpy old guys so far, so it might be a rocky road.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #79
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is still amazing to me the joy I get from seeing a LL club that I managed in FM on TV. Go Sutton United!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #80
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Will this game ever re-open as an online browser game?
Gaelic Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #81
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #82
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just when you think you've seen it all, you see an article like this one and say, "This article looks like it came out of FM17."

Barcelona Remove Director Gratacos After Lionel Messi Remarks - News18
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #83
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

v17.3 is out with the January data update.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

FM17 on Steam marked down 67% to $16.49 in case you're on the fence.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #85
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Highly recommend it. For me personally, this version has hit "the sweet spot", pretty likely that i will skip the next one and keep playing this version instead.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #86
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

14.99 at IndieGala!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #87
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Highly recommend it. For me personally, this version has hit "the sweet spot", pretty likely that i will skip the next one and keep playing this version instead.

Compared to FM16, even? I was debating sitting FM17 out and waiting for FM18 given it'll be out in October anyway. I always end up getting the game too late in the cycle and given the custom DBs don't transfer from version to version (THE WORST THING EVER) it's a lot of effort to expend to rebuild custom leagues, so I tend to take alternating years to getting them together, even if I've own every version I think since 2008 or something.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #88
Easy Mac

Someone made a US mod down to the NCAA level. Its interesting, I haven't gone in depth with it, but it's expansive. They even listed notable alumni, prior league championships, downloadable jerseys... They even changed it so NCAA players get drafted instead of PDL player. The things people try to do with this game sometimes is crazy.

https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/vi...life-expansion
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #89
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Someone made a US mod down to the NCAA level. Its interesting, I haven't gone in depth with it, but it's expansive. They even listed notable alumni, prior league championships, downloadable jerseys... They even changed it so NCAA players get drafted instead of PDL player. The things people try to do with this game sometimes is crazy.

https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/vi...life-expansion

Whoaaaaaa
Old 08-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #90
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I’m deep into a career w FM Touch 18, which I understand to be simply an iOS port of FM17. Hoping a veteran here can help me.

I seem to have a sizable number of young, and not so young, players on my reserves. Many of them showed up as prospects, never panned out, and are still hanging around years later on month-to-month contracts. I hope and assume there is someway for me to put my assistant coach in charge of this sort of thing, and have him be the angel of mercy who cuts most of these players loose. However, I cannot find the setting to turn this on. I assume I missing something obvious, can anyone help?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #91
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, I’m deep into a career w FM Touch 18, which I understand to be simply an iOS port of FM17. Hoping a veteran here can help me.

I seem to have a sizable number of young, and not so young, players on my reserves. Many of them showed up as prospects, never panned out, and are still hanging around years later on month-to-month contracts. I hope and assume there is someway for me to put my assistant coach in charge of this sort of thing, and have him be the angel of mercy who cuts most of these players loose. However, I cannot find the setting to turn this on. I assume I missing something obvious, can anyone help?

For some mystical reason quite few tasks you can assign to your assistant/DOF, including contract renewals/rejections, in the full game can't be automated in Touch ...

https://community.sigames.com/topic/...correct-forum/
Old 09-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #92
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, my FM Touch 18 odyssey continues...transferred to the PC Steam game after the iPad game hit 30 years and tapped out. My 5yo son is very, very into it now, and our former minnows from Havant & Waterlooville are finally qualified for the Euro Cup after a 7th place finish in the Premiership. Gotta see how that plays out, so it’ll be laptop rather than iPad at his bedtime tonight.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #93
QuikSand
lolzcat

...trivial but weird note. About to launch the new season of the EPL. Get a note about the betting lines for the top scorers for this season...a fun little bit of flavor, I realize it's nothing more.

The first note indicates that a certain guy of mine (my 4th highest scorer last season) is our best chance, but he's pegged at 900-1 to lead the league.

Okay, that could be fine...except for the fact that a different guy on my team was only one goal away from being the league's top scorer just last season, and he'd back and healthy for this year. So that guy is what, 1000-1? After missing out by one goal last season?

I also note that neither the reigning top scorer (a 28 y/o returning for the champs), nor the guy who has won 3 of the last 5 seasons (also returning for a top team) are listed among the top six choices to score the most goals this season.

I don't know what algorithm drives this in-game, and I fully understand that it is of no real consequence... but it's a combination of silly and frustrating.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-05-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #94
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Saw something for the first time in FM2018.

Got crushed by a fierce rival while playing away and got a news item that the players were going to be personally refunding the travelling supporters.

Pretty cool.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote