Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #6651
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think Trump makes AZ really close, but Biden takes it with maybe 0.5%. PA looks like it'll be 2% for Biden when it's all done.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #6652
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And Georgia looks like it'll squeak to Biden, too

Si

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 11-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #6653
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's so close that it's hard to justify the call even if it ends up right.

Agreed.

Last night, I was channel surfing between CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and the other networks. One thing that struck me about the Fox News panel was that it seemed they were going overboard on not trying to be biased toward Trump. It was almost like listening to Jay Bilas call a Duke basketball game on ESPN.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #6654
Butter
Coordinator

The AP has also called AZ for Biden. Not saying they can't be wrong, but it'd be extremely surprising.

Perhaps they are mistaking the nature of the AZ mail in vote versus other states. But I don't believe it's a mistake
Old 11-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #6655
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Agreed.

Last night, I was channel surfing between CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and the other networks. One thing that struck me about the Fox News panel was that it seemed they were going overboard on not trying to be biased toward Trump. It was almost like listening to Jay Bilas call a Duke basketball game on ESPN.

I was getting tired of NBC and CNN's dithering so I actually went to Fox more than I usually do

SI

Old 11-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #6656
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Looks to be like the overall picture is that there is enough of a margin ... just enough ... to avoid any credible long-term court challenge.

This is the first time I've ever been physically ill the day after an election, '16 included. I may gain more perspective in time, but coupled with other events in recent years I conclude that most of what was once worthy in America from an institutional standpoint is dead. It's much different for me psychologically to consider it dead instead of dying, which has been my POV for decades.

My life personally will be fine, but I think the world needs more from this nation than we will ever be able or even interested in giving in the future.

What do you mean by "institutional standpoint"?
Old 11-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #6657
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was getting tired of NBC and CNN's dithering so I actually went to Fox more than I usually do

SI

We tried to a several times and literally every time it was a commercial.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #6658
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

186k lead in PA. Still 88% counted. Still 70% in Philadelphia County.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #6659
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm seeing projections for a 6-7 million popular vote win for Biden.

And he still might lose.

edit: Don't know why I wrote percent rather than million. Percentage projection is around 4% or a little above.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-04-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #6660
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Georgia lead is 33k with 95% counted. Down from 372k lead with 78% counted last night.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-04-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #6661
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can you imagine what it is like to be in the same room as Trump right now?
Old 11-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #6662
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

As we wait for the final results to come in, I've been following up to see what pollster Frank Luntz has to say now that the election is over. He doesn't mince words:

“The biggest one of all is the Washington post that had — as we’re watching in Wisconsin, a one point lead — the Washington post poll just a few days ago had Joe Biden winning by 17 points,” he noted. “That’s not a mistake. That’s not an error. That’s polling malpractice, and you have to go to tremendous lengths to be able to get something that wrong so close to the election.”

Luntz went on to say, “The fact is the published polling was so wrong, and not just for presidents, but for House races, for the Senate races."

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 11-04-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #6663
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Trump needs 57% of the remaining votes in AZ and they are coming from areas that slightly to strongly lean democrat. I think the call is still pretty safe.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #6664
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We tried to a several times and literally every time it was a commercial.

That was a problem on a lot of the networks. And they seemed to be sync'd up, too! Like they'd all be going to break at the same time.

SI

Old 11-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #6665
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
As we wait for the final results to come in, I've been following up to see what pollster Frank Luntz has to say now that the election is over. He doesn't mince words:

“The biggest one of all is the Washington post that had — as we’re watching in Wisconsin, a one point lead — the Washington post poll just a few days ago had Joe Biden winning by 17 points,” he noted. “That’s not a mistake. That’s not an error. That’s polling malpractice, and you have to go to tremendous lengths to be able to get something that wrong so close to the election.”

Luntz went on to say, “The fact is the published polling was so wrong, and not just for presidents, but for House races, for the Senate races."

I don't know if it's malpractice but it's pretty evident the polling didn't work well. Missing in 2016 is somewhat understandable. Missing in 2020 is pretty bad.

In 2024, no one will be trusting the polls.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #6666
Edward64
Head Coach

Biden winning GA will be sweet.

I'd feel as if I made a difference.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #6667
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Good question, Edward. I simply mean that nobody wants key American institutions to function they way they are supposed to. It's one thing when they malfunction and we implement them poorly. It's another when nobody wants them to work.

Most of this board doesn't need to be convinced that Trumpists are fine with undermining our institutions. They won't see the progressive movement in that light, because they generally have never placed the value I have on some American distinctives such as the Senate, EC, certain aspects of checks and balances & separation of powers, 'originalist' constitutionality, and so forth.

For someone such as myself however, I don't see a way back. Nobody's even pretending to defend such key ideas anymore. Extremism is on the rise in many places around the world as well, and the more stable democratic nations around the world have long had a dimmer view of American distinctives than the progressive wing here does.

That's without even getting into the need for someone to take the lead in moving towards the types of global authorities and cooperation we need to deal with the challenges of the future and move away from the nation-state as a whole. There are very few nations who have the clout to do so, and from my point of view they all seem content to have humanity slide into the abyss so long as they aren't the first ones down the vortex. We'll figure this out eventually, but it'll be way too late to avoid disaster by the time we do.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-04-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #6668
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

On the polling, I'm not sure it is malpractice. It might be that polling simply can't reach everyone it needs to reach to be accurate within current techniques. I think what someone said about the Collins race in Maine was revealing - that's not far off from what happened in Wisconsin.

2016 was right on nationally and had a few states off. 2018 was also close. Cycles before that were very close. This one is not - it looks like nationally it will be off by several points and far worse than that in many highly-polled races.

I know I will be a lot less confident in the results of any poll on any subject for years. We can't say we know what the public thinks anymore. That might be a good thing, but saying they support this or that candidate/party on this or that issue ... we just don't know that anymore. There's too much uncertainty.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #6669
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now protestors in AZ demanding that they stop counting.

I'm not sure these MAGA protests are well thought out.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #6670
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Now protestors in AZ demanding that they stop counting.

I'm not sure these MAGA protests are well thought out.

LOL, at least they are consistent
Old 11-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #6671
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Good question, Edward. I simply mean that nobody wants key American institutions to function they way they are supposed to. It's one thing when they malfunction and we implement them poorly. It's another when nobody wants them to work.

Most of this board doesn't need to be convinced that Trumpists are fine with undermining our institutions. They won't see the progressive movement in that light, because they generally have never placed the value I have on some American distinctives such as the Senate, EC, certain aspects of checks and balances & separation of powers, 'originalist' constitutionality, and so forth.

For someone such as myself however, I don't see a way back. Nobody's even pretending to defend such key ideas anymore. Extremism is on the rise in many places around the world as well, and the more stable democratic nations around the world have long had a dimmer view of American distinctives than the progressive wing here does.

That's without even getting into the need for someone to take the lead in moving towards the types of global authorities and cooperation we need to deal with the challenges of the future and move away from the nation-state as a whole. There are very few nations who have the clout to do so, and from my point of view they all seem content to have humanity slide into the abyss so long as they aren't the first ones down the vortex. We'll figure this out eventually, but it'll be way too late to avoid disaster by the time we do.

The discussion will get lost in this thread. I wouldn't mind participating in a separate thread if you are so inclined.

I messaged Nate at 538 and he said there is a 75% chance it gets to the "racism" angle and/or personal insults which is when I'll excuse myself
Old 11-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #6672
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/sta...433521665?s=19

Lol, who had that on your board?

Old 11-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #6673
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Also chanting "count the votes," while in Atlanta and earlier in Detroit it was "stop the count." What a bunch of morans.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-04-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #6674
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
2016 was right on nationally and had a few states off. 2018 was also close. Cycles before that were very close. This one is not - it looks like nationally it will be off by several points and far worse than that in many highly-polled races.

As it turns out, the Presidential polling this year wasn't nearly as horrible as the Senate and House projections, dumpster fires from almost every "reputable" pollster.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #6675
Edward64
Head Coach

CNN has a pic-in-a-pic during commercials showing people (wearing masks but not quite 6ft apart) processing the ballots in Atlanta at 11pm.

I'm guessing they work in shifts and do this 24 hours a day until it's all done. Appreciate their dedication.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:04 PM   #6676
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Someone tweeted they estimate being done counting in Atlanta by 3am.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #6677
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Trump considering suing Nevada and Arizona as well!

#Trump2020JustSue
Old 11-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #6678
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Barring a complete massacre on one side or the other, this was always gonna come down to lawyers, no matter who won.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #6679
molson
General Manager

Wall street sure likes this probable outcome more than they liked Trump's win in 2016.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #6680
Arles
Grey Dog Software

There was a lot of Wall Street panic due to the polls showing a “blue wave” of Biden and the senate last week. Now that looks like it won’t happen so Wall Street is happy big cap gains taxes look less likely
Old 11-04-2020, 10:27 PM   #6681
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow, now 164k lead in PA. 89% counted. Philadelphia County still at 70% counted.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #6682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

CNN just showed these “patriots” outside the counting station in Arizona, but the radical left.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #6683
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
CNN has a pic-in-a-pic during commercials showing people (wearing masks but not quite 6ft apart) processing the ballots in Atlanta at 11pm.

I'm guessing they work in shifts and do this 24 hours a day until it's all done. Appreciate their dedication.

Yeah not quite the same as these folks dedication but my wife a public school teacher took the day off to be a election voting poll worker. She did a 16 hour day almost on standing up with a 30 minute lunch and a 15 minute break. This is in a heavy R country so she had to some fun stories of having to deal with disruptive MAGAs.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #6684
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
CNN just showed these “patriots” outside the counting station in Arizona, but the radical left.

Yeah watching that too.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:18 PM   #6685
bhlloy
Coordinator

Those patriots outside a counting station threatening the staff inside... in a state and county that Trump is behind and they really need them to keep counting for him to have any chance nationally. Geniuses.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:19 PM   #6686
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Trump considering suing Nevada and Arizona as well!

#Trump2020JustSue

Old 11-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #6687
kingfc22
Head Coach

GA down to 28k vote difference
Old 11-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #6688
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Those patriots outside a counting station threatening the staff inside... in a state and county that Trump is behind and they really need them to keep counting for him to have any chance nationally. Geniuses.

Weird, where is the tear gas and rubber bullets?
Old 11-05-2020, 01:47 AM   #6689
bhlloy
Coordinator

The news from Maricopa County continues to be worrying for Biden... just bled about another 11k votes off the latest chunk that was processed. Not sure if that carries through the end of the count (and a decent chunk is from Pima rather than Maricopa) but I can definitely see how the math can be there for Trump to pull ahead in the next 12 hours.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #6690
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Thumbs down

Quote:
The news from Maricopa County continues to be worrying for Biden... just bled about another 11k votes off the latest chunk that was processed. Not sure if that carries through the end of the count (and a decent chunk is from Pima rather than Maricopa) but I can definitely see how the math can be there for Trump to pull ahead in the next 12 hours.

Charlie kirk was jumping up and down when last drop was over 55 percent feels last drops are going to be higher than the big city drop they doing now. Plus he said around midnight Georgia had 14k votes left with trump winning by 23k. Should check him out unless he getting bad data from counties.

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 11-05-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #6691
whomario
Pro Starter

Can someone explain to me how analysis from Exit Polls (like how many of a certain demographic voted for whome or for what reason) as a tool of analysis make any sense in a year where sooooo many people did not actually visit a polling station and those are by all accounts vastly 'different' from those that did in their preferences, reasoning and maybe even demographic ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-05-2020, 04:47 AM   #6692
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I wouldn't mind participating in a separate thread if you are so inclined.

I messaged Nate at 538 and he said there is a 75% chance it gets to the "racism" angle and/or personal insults which is when I'll excuse myself

Go for it you wish - I'm not particular on what thread I discuss it in. I always assume that percentage is upwards of 90% myself.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #6693
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
... but the radical left ...

... taking a well deserved rest in Portland drinking their chai latte with coconut milk.

Good thing the radical right protests are peaceful (so far).

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-05-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:31 AM   #6694
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Go for it you wish - I'm not particular on what thread I discuss it in. I always assume that percentage is upwards of 90% myself.

With recent polling history, quite possible Nate missed some shy members here.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:32 AM   #6695
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
Charlie kirk was jumping up and down when last drop was over 55 percent feels last drops are going to be higher than the big city drop they doing now. Plus he said around midnight Georgia had 14k votes left with trump winning by 23k. Should check him out unless he getting bad data from counties.

He's literally a Trump troll.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:33 AM   #6696
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

But hasn't a lot of this to do with them being heavily outdated in at least a sizable number of questions/areas ? This rings to me similar to the "let's interpret 200+ year old documents based on what they actually wanted" (never mind it being a "want" for an utterly different time) school of thought re: Law.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #6697
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Trump's lead is under under 19K in Georgia now. PA bout 164K. NC will not update again until 11/12.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #6698
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Trump's lead is under under 19K in Georgia now. PA bout 164K. NC will not update again until 11/12.

Coming down to a photo finish in GA (and NV and AZ).
Old 11-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #6699
bhlloy
Coordinator

If I'm reading GA right though we are basically done with Atlanta and just general absentee ballots to come, so I'm not sure Biden is still favored there?
Old 11-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #6700
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If I'm reading GA right though we are basically done with Atlanta and just general absentee ballots to come, so I'm not sure Biden is still favored there?

I think the theory is absentee ballots will favor Biden but uncertainty is how many is left.

I read somewhere (don't know accuracy or timing) there is about 25,000 ballots left to be counted, so there may not be enough for Biden. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised for a GA recount.

Momentum has swung to Trump on AZ so Trump does still have a "better-than-Wed-morning" chance to victory.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-05-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Closed Thread