Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Madden 21.. why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

It is that time again. Preloaded for it to go live tommorow. I remember the ancient days of being excited about new versions. Now it comes with a sense of dread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is that time again. Preloaded for it to go live tommorow. I remember the ancient days of being excited about new versions. Now it comes with a sense of dread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Let us know how it is. I have not played it for over ten years but with Covid and football questionable I may grab it this year.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-20-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Will Madden stop supporting terrorist groups like BLM this year?
Old 08-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Will Madden stop supporting terrorist groups like BLM this year?

Old 08-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Since 19, I've been a Madden fan again and I'm really excited to get mine next Friday when it gets here.

I've watched a few videos on game play and it looks great. Now I just need to decide on which team to go with.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm really enjoying 20.

I tend to get it every other year.

But if the reviews on 21 are great, I might break that rule.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
GrantDawg

In the "no surprise they took out a feature for no reason" category: I tried to play as a player in franchise mode. I do that a good bit, and usually you can just play as that player. No option this year for that.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I usually get EA games at the start of a new console generation and then wait and see if the following year is any good. So I'll be likely waiting until Madden/FIFA 21
Old 08-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don’t they usually rip a ton of stuff out for the next gen and end up putting it back in over the next 2-3 years?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yes. EA regularly removes features at the beginning of a new console generation. Then they add them back in later as EXCITING NEW FEATURES that can be listed on the box and touted in advertising.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-20-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #11
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
In the "no surprise they took out a feature for no reason" category: I tried to play as a player in franchise mode. I do that a good bit, and usually you can just play as that player. No option this year for that.
I just discovered the switch. Nevermind.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

EAs servers have been horrible the past few months.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

I know it's trending to hate EA and gripe about Madden. I may get there. As of now, my son and I are eagerly awaiting the new release (I guess we're not snappy members or whatever you all are to be playing already... we have to wait a few more days apparently). Anyhow... we've been playing 19 and 20 the last few months, and I'm looking forward to a proper play-through of the Ultimate Team, and to starting over in the auction houses (which I love/hate).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #14
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Haven't played in years but with the game going Steam am considering giving it a try. No issue with my RAM or graphics card. My concern is my processor and if it will run the game.

i59400f 2.9ghz with 4.1 ghz boost speed. Monitoring my system the boost does kick in automatically.

Madden calls for 3.4ghz or better so, I'm wondering will the 4.1 boost allow my rig to run the game?

With Steam I could try and return but it would be easier to know now than to waste my time.

Thanks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I bought it (actually part of my Origin subscription) and have played a few games so far, just a few comments that I have seen. Keep in mind I purchase this game every year, regardless if good or bad as I typically get enough out of it to satisfy my football hunger.

1) Overall the game is not drastically different, feels much like last year's version in how things generally work.

2) From a gameplay perspective, it might be early positive vibes that will get wiped out later, but generally feeling "better" to me.

- Injuries seem more varied and by different players

- Playing on default all-pro felt really good, although the CPU QB is pretty accurate so likely will be reducing that a bit.

- Running QB's and general scrambling seem much improved. Running QBs will hurt you! Raven's QB just shredded me at times.

- CPU running game seemed decent to me and the CPU play calling mixed it up. Weird decisions still happen on occasion but felt believable to me so far.

- Penalties - Not going to say they are drastically improved yet, but on the few games I have played without changing sliders I have seen a number called. Still not what should be, but more than I can remember from last year. In fact, I just had the first roughing the punter penalty called which I never seen before. It helped keep my drive alive

- Each game has been close so far as me playing the Steelers...opponents have been Browns, Ravens, and Buccaneers. I beat the Ravens and Bucs in close games, but I am embarrassed to say the Browns beat me up pretty good

3) Haven't touched franchise play yet but I hear not much changed there. That doesn't bother me that much.

I am guessing some of my early results is fools gold and likely will turn into slider adjustment craziness at some point, but at least for now not really disappointed....pretty much a typical Madden release for me. Never expected a lot so will be hard for me to be disappointed
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

My XBox game/server seems painfully slow... each page opened takes maybe 2-4 seconds to load. When in the auction house, this is a big deal. I hope it's transitory, very off-putting. I'll adjust, I reckon, but ugh... two seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but when it's that fifty times in a three minute series of auctions... it's a lot.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

The early reviews are not good. Hell, even IGN has given it a tentative 6 out of 10.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #18
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I like it better than last year's version so far...not sure why, but just feels better. Certainly not revolutionary and can't say whether worth $60 or not, but so far I am happy with it. But who knows, I am sure at some point it will sit on my shelf
Old 09-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #19
Galaril
Pro Starter

Oh well some much for that:
Madden 21 full of glitches, gamers urge NFL to drop EA Sports - Sports Illustrated
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#475ef13d14b4

Last edited by Galaril : 09-02-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Unless and until sales numbers go down, both the NFL and EA are very happy with the current arrangement.

(And, hell, as long as EA keeps paying for the license, the NFL doesn't really care how many games they sell.)
Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Played my first exhibition game last night and had fun. Game play is definitely tighter.

There are glitches, but like with all Madden games, it will be a month or so before a real CFM can be started and enjoyed.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, the no-context guy and his son are okay with it thus far. I'm still enjoying my evolving understanding of the UT auction system and the player roll-out. He's playing challenges and trying to get better with buttoning. We have played a few exhibition games against one another. I'm still enough of a newb to be in awe of the graphical realism. We're getting our money's worth.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, EA is good at creating a game that visually looks good. And it seems some folks at OS feel the gameplay on the field is a step forward from last year. For me, the increased focus on MUT as a cash cow led to the utter neglect of franchise mode, which killed the game for me.

I may check Madden 21 out later in the cycle when it's dropped in price and some of the bugginess has been fixed. For now, I'm happy enough playing a new dynasty in NCAA 2014. That game is still the king of all video football games to me.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-03-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Franchise update #1 coming in November.

There is no doubt they are working hard for the next gen release. Most sports game years that have to battle a next gen release as well seems to be half baked. (or maybe it's just EA sports games)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-03-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah thinking I am going to get a copy of ncaa 2014 and maybe the NBA 2k games instead.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah thinking I am going to get a copy of ncaa 2014 and maybe the NBA 2k games instead.

I am having so much fun with NCAA 14. I'm on my 3rd season after starting with the real 2020 rosters.

Mizzou has yet to finish in the Top 25 but we are making strides each season.

I've said this before, but I'm still amazed at how much this game feels like college football. It's definitely my #1 console football game of all time.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #27
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I am having so much fun with NCAA 14. I'm on my 3rd season after starting with the real 2020 rosters.

I've said this before, but I'm still amazed at how much this game feels like college football. It's definitely my #1 console football game of all time.

I am going to get it for PS4 so not sure getting updated rosters is an option.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
I am going to get it for PS4 so not sure getting updated rosters is an option.

Well shit NCAA 14 only is on PS3 and Xbox 360 fuck you Sony.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well shit NCAA 14 only is on PS3 and Xbox 360 fuck you Sony.

Yeah.. I was going to say that. Finding it, even on those systems is tough without spending $$$.

We kept our x360 thankfully.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #30
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah.. I was going to say that. Finding it, even on those systems is tough without spending $$$.

We kept our x360 thankfully.

Yeah, my son called me the other night to ask if I still had my ncaa and what year it was. Told him v13, he said too bad 14 was going for over a $100. Wasn't sure about 13 and asked if I wanted him to look? "Hell no" I'm not selling I told him.

Never bought 14, is it really that much different than 13? Too me 13 is an awesome game!
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Yeah, my son called me the other night to ask if I still had my ncaa and what year it was. Told him v13, he said too bad 14 was going for over a $100. Wasn't sure about 13 and asked if I wanted him to look? "Hell no" I'm not selling I told him.

Never bought 14, is it really that much different than 13? Too me 13 is an awesome game!

I don't remember all the differences but 14 has the infinity engine.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #32
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I'm probably in the minority, but for gameplay, Madden 21 is better than NCAA. I play both, but the gameplay is solid and things like injuries away from the ball matter a lot to me.
Mike Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but for gameplay, Madden 21 is better than NCAA. I play both, but the gameplay is solid and things like injuries away from the ball matter a lot to me.

I haven't played much of Madden 21 yet as I'm waiting on the next patch, but NCAA 14 came out 7 years ago. For me to even enjoy NCAA 14 as much, or even more than previous Madden games, shows me the lack of progression EA has made with Madden. (and I did enjoy M19 and M20)

NCAA does have a lack of injuries, but the rest is a total package of college football. It draws me into its world like no other football game has.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #34
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like Colin "The 4th of July is a White Supremacist Holiday" Kaepernick is going to be in the game as a free agent.

I'm glad they're focusing on SJW issues instead of actually making the game good.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Two more patches released today and the Week 1 Live start is in. Time to get a CFM going.

I made Kap a punter with an ovr of 35.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #36
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I thought that Kap was a free agent in real life? If so, then keeping him out of the game would have been a pretty bold political statement. And Madden wants to make money, not make political statements. Republicans and Democrats both buy video games.

To the extent Kap's existence/presence upsets you, MizzouRah has a pretty easy solution. Nerf the character and forget about him.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm 2-0 with the Chargers so far... definitely having fun playing.

Using these settings: https://outsidergaming.com/madden-21...ic-experience/

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-12-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #38
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm 2-0 with the Chargers so far... definitely having fun playing.

Using these settings: Madden 21 Sliders: Guide for a Realistic Experience - Outsider Gaming

I am enjoying as well, those sliders are very similiar to the ones I am using from OperationSports and getting decent games. However, I think I still need to lower QB accuracy for the CPU, having too many high percentage games for my liking, especially from average to below average QBs, Otherwise, gameplay is really good this year in my opinion.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #39
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I thought that Kap was a free agent in real life? If so, then keeping him out of the game would have been a pretty bold political statement. And Madden wants to make money, not make political statements. Republicans and Democrats both buy video games.

To the extent Kap's existence/presence upsets you, MizzouRah has a pretty easy solution. Nerf the character and forget about him.

Madden usually doesn't include players that haven't played in several years. They had sign for Kap's likeness separately.

As for not making political statements, then why did they promote BLM in last years game?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-12-2020 at 08:13 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

3-0 with a narrow 30-27 win over the Panthers!
Old 09-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #41
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can we keep politics out of the Madden thread?
Old 09-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #42
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Can we keep politics out of the Madden thread?

Can Madden keep politics out it's game?
Old 09-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don’t buy the game if it upsets you. Easy solution.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #44
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Don’t buy the game if it upsets you. Easy solution.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Madden 21 next gen came out today and I just played two CFM games and had an absolute blast.

The new player models are much more realistic, the player movement is much better/players have weight to them and it's a slower game.

The cut ins to next gen stats are add a nice presentation element to the game, the interactive sidelines are a nice addition as well as the fans and other little touches like the Lambeau leap.

For a free upgrade from current gen I wasn't expecting much but I'm impressed. Hopefully I get a game with rain or snow to see how they improved the weather effects.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #46
Edward64
Head Coach

Madden 21 is $30 on Steam right now through Jan 5.

Thoughts on franchise mode? I don't need it to be super accurate/realistic stats but is it "fun"?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Madden 21 is $30 on Steam right now through Jan 5.

Thoughts on franchise mode? I don't need it to be super accurate/realistic stats but is it "fun"?

They added a playoff bracket!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #48
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure if that is good or bad?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Not sure if that is good or bad?

They had a franchise update that added a few things and a playoff bracket was one of them. At least you can get an idea of who is in a playoff spot the last few weeks of the season.

Here is what has been released so far in the form of franchise updates, with more to come hopefully:

Gridiron Notes: Madden NFL 21 Franchise Update Deep Dive

I enjoy Madden's franchise mode, in fact I have one going with the Jets on M21 next gen and one with Washington on M20.

I started one on M20 because there is an issue with M21 if you play your games where the DB's do not cover WR's and the AI QB will pass high completion % on long passes. So if you plan on playing against the CPU you might want to hold off as a patch is supposed to be coming the first part of January.

For me, M20 is a much better game as far as gameplay goes, at least until they patch M21.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-27-2020 at 09:34 AM.